[Today at 12:29:26 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by rocky_warrior
[Today at 12:26:02 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Trevon Bluiett will NOT return to Xavier  (Read 15917 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Trevon Bluiett will NOT return to Xavier
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 11:09:54 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, guru is beyond help on this issue.

Please stop trying to use "facts" and "logic" with him.

He wants Marquette to go 18-0 in the BE every year, therefore we never need decent conference opponents. Don't the rest of y'all get it?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 11:10:59 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, guru is beyond help on this issue.

Please stop trying to use "facts" and "logic" with him.

He wants Marquette to go 18-0 in the BE every year, therefore we never need decent conference opponents. Don't the rest of y'all get it?

Right.  Finally someone gets it.  You can't argue with stupid.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 11:35:53 PM »
A few cupcakes are fun. An 18 game home schedule of dog crap is not fun, it's boring. A good conference makes for a better product when I buy tickets. Yes, I want us to win every game, but if Marquette plays in a piss poor conference with no threat of a loss, I may as well go play Madden Dynasty mode on easy. It's boring as hell.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 12:31:26 AM »
How can someone who thinks we could "move to the MVC and run the table every year" say WOW to anyone? Guess you've never heard of Wichita State.

They're leaving the MVC this year. Heading to the American. We quite literally could run the table in the MVC next season and probably the next few seasons. They might have one top 100 team in the entire conference next season....and they will barely be top 100 if they are.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 12:45:21 AM »
It's the same thing...pro game or not...it's rooting for the competition.

Except in the pro game, all that matters is your winning %. If you finish with a better win loss record than the rest of your division you are in the playoffs, no questions asked.

In college, you have to build a resume of quality wins that will then be judged by a group of very subjective humans. A group that has consistently preached about the importance of strength of schedule to their decision.

You keep complaining about Marquette not being "elite" anymore. In today's game, you become elite by consistently beating other elites. You've brought up Gonzaga a lot (literally the only team in the history of college basketball to pull off what you seem to envision for Marquette). I don't think most would categorize them as an elite program. They might get some post-champsionship love for a little bit. But before the tournament started, all anyone could talk about was how overrated Gonzaga was and how they were going to lose by the Sweet 16. Gonzaga would also sell their collective left nut if it meant they could join the PAC 12 or the Big East with a magic teleporter.
TAMU

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 01:43:13 AM »
Bullsh*t...It is the SAME damn thing...It's rooting for your opponents to be good so it can "make you better". Not buying it..I played sports and I NEVER wanted the rest of the conference to be good. In fact, I hated every other conference member. Them winning did me(us) zero good. Explain to me how it's wrong mr arrogance.

College bball is different:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rating_Percentage_Index

"the SOS accounts for 75% of the RPI calculation"

muguru

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2017, 05:30:09 AM »
Let me put this a different way...for those of you that obviously wanted to take what I said, and spin it to meet your own agenda. First off, someone find for me where I said ANYTHING about wanting all the teams in the conference to be dog crap?? I NEVER said that. My point was...I know many are glad that Delgado and Bluiett are coming back..because it makes SH and X better. I don't disagree with that. However, without them, it doesn;t mean either team is GARBAGE, does it??? Nope, it just makes both not quite as good. Very similar to Creighton losing Watson this past year and X losing Sumner. Still formidable, but not as good without them. Which actually helps make my point quite nicely..MU swept Creighton and X this last year...That was 4 of their conference wins right there..does anyone think they go 4-0 against them, if Sumner/Watson are healthy?? Maybe, but I would doubt it. So, guess what people, without those 4 wins, MU isn't dancing. Heck, if they even split those games, they aren't dancing.

Not every team is going to be DePaul, nor do I want them to be, but what is wrong with being able to catch a few breaks along the way...?? Like MU did in playing Xavier and Creighton without their starting PG's?? No different then playing a Delgado less SH, this next year, or a Bluiett less Xavier. Heck, like last year it could mean the difference between making the dance, or not making the dance.

Bottom line is, whether you are in a really good conference, or a crap conference(like Gonzaga), and you win enough games, you get in..Winning is always easier if other teams aren't QUITE as good as they once were.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2017, 06:21:36 AM »
Can't disagree with your last post guru, I don't think MU dances last year without those injuries. With that being said you do want a strong conference for recruiting purposes etc....

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 06:36:36 AM »
Which national writer did paint touches get an argument with over our schedule? Basically arguing that our record wasn't as good because we played X and Creighton without their stars? As if MU has control over their conference schedule and other teams injuries. None of those games were close either.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2017, 06:42:46 AM »
I want all of the Big East Teams to be incredibly good...but at the same time, slightly worse than Marquette.

In a perfect world we would be ranked #1, and there would be a 9-way tie for second among the rest of the conference.

In a perfect world we would be National Champs and the best basketball team  every year; but then again after a little while I don't think winning all the time would be that much fun.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2017, 06:48:57 AM »
Umm im well aware of how it works dipcrap..so it's about the money to everyone? Let's see...pretty sure MU has a top notch facility already in the AL..are moving into a state of the art arena next season..have one of the highest recruiting budgets in the nation already..so..if I'm following your logic..a better BE..even if it means MU loses too many games to get into the NCAAS themselves..is good for MU anyway..we can ride the coat tails of the other BE schools? Great..typical of your generations mentality..let's award everyone a ribbon!

You're right and you seem to enjoy those thins. Now out of curiosity have you actually sat and thought how we got all that? Are you so naive to think if we were the kings of the horizon that we'd have all those things? And the Al is quickly becoming less and less top notch, sure it was state of the art 12(?) years ago but so was the standard black and white iPod and the razor phone... nobody's claiming those are top notch anymore.

You're jumping to conclusions about my "even if it mean MU loses too many games" your line of thinking is short sited it's very 'water it down for this year so we make it' my line of thinking allows us to build up consistent finances, recruit well, be a program that gets noticed by the casual observer.

You're an idiot if you think I'm insinuating that everyone gets a trophy. We've had this conversation, either get it through your thick skull or I have to quote an old adage of "you can't fix stupid"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2017, 07:00:36 AM »
In a perfect world we would be National Champs and the best basketball team  every year; but then again after a little while I don't think winning all the time would be that much fun.

So u didnt enjoy the run in the first part of the 70s??!!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2017, 07:12:20 AM »

If the rest of the conference is in a tie for second, that means that all of our conference games would be 1-2 match ups, and and that would be pretty darn exciting to watch, and don't you think?
Have some patience, FFS.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2017, 08:07:37 AM »
How can someone who thinks we could "move to the MVC and run the table every year" say WOW to anyone? Guess you've never heard of Wichita State.
You may want to check which conference Wichita State is in next year...........i'm sticking with my 'WOW'

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2017, 08:30:04 AM »

Bottom line is, whether you are in a really good conference, or a crap conference(like Gonzaga), and you win enough games, you get in..Winning is always easier if other teams aren't QUITE as good as they once were.

Gonzaga's tourney streak isn't from them beating up on the WCC so much as it is scheduling so many OOC games with elite schools. Granted, they get the automatic qualifier every year because their conference is weak.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2017, 08:48:31 AM »
Umm im well aware of how it works dipcrap..so it's about the money to everyone? Let's see...pretty sure MU has a top notch facility already in the AL..are moving into a state of the art arena next season..have one of the highest recruiting budgets in the nation already..so..if I'm following your logic..a better BE..even if it means MU loses too many games to get into the NCAAS themselves..is good for MU anyway..we can ride the coat tails of the other BE schools? Great..typical of your generations mentality..let's award everyone a ribbon!

Dude.....chill the unnatural carnal knowledge out.

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »
if only we just fast forward to the MUScoop fight scene....

https://youtu.be/ipsPgNEmAXI

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2017, 09:29:50 AM »
It's like being a Packers fan and wanting the Bears, Lions and Viqueens to be better because it's "good for the divison". Total nonsense.

Ah yes.... the Georgetown, DePaul and St. John's of the NFC North.

I'm now imagining the futility of those three in a division with Villanova. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2017, 09:55:19 AM »
Bottom line is, whether you are in a really good conference, or a crap conference(like Gonzaga), and you win enough games, you get in..

Tell that to Illinois State.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2017, 10:05:58 AM »
But at least they can say they were the second best team in their conference.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2017, 10:11:41 AM »

Indeed, there are a lot more Illinois States out there than there are Gonzagas.

guru finally articulated something reasonable in his last post. I wouldn't have been the least bit upset had Delgado and Bluiett left.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2017, 11:11:39 AM »
Exactly...I will just never understand those that "root" for other BE teams to be good. I've said it a million times...that just makes things harder for MU. Let's say for example, Bluiett and Delgado both left...and let's assume that because of those decisions, MU then went 4-0 against both those teams..Now let's say(for argument's sake that because they are back, MU goes 0-4 against them..How in the world is a "stronger" BE better for MU?? Talk all you want about it helping the RPI etc, I say BS. Because the bottom line is..win enough games in the BE and you are IN every single year, and no matter what, teams losing really good players, gives MU a better chance of winning more games. That's pretty self explanatory I would have thought.

It's like being a Packers fan and wanting the Bears, Lions and Viqueens to be better because it's "good for the divison". Total nonsense.
First I am a Marquette fan.
Second I am a Big East fan.
MU belonging to one of the best conferences is important to me as an MU fan.
In my book the bragging rights goes to the conference with the most teams advancing the farthest in the NCAA tournament.
Last year was not a good year for the Big East as far as NCAA tournament results.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2017, 11:59:16 AM »
BE will be tough again like always

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2017, 01:22:20 PM »
Well this thread took an interesting turn.....

Long live Scoop!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2017, 02:49:28 PM »
Michigan loses DJ Wilson but keeps Moritz Wagner. We could see them in Maui.
TAMU

feedback