collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette on Jeopardy!  (Read 8183 times)

Skitch

• All American
Marquette on Jeopardy!
« on: May 23, 2017, 06:46:38 PM »
On tonight's show.  Catholic geography for $800.

"Founded in 1881, Marquette University is the largest private university in this state."

No one even tried to answer.  At least no one said Michigan.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Marquette on Jeopardy!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 09:03:01 PM »
  what is, the state that dr. john mccadams USED to teach in  ;D

ruh-roh!
don't...don't don't don't don't

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:59:16 PM »
  what is, the state that dr. john mccadams USED to teach in  ;D

ruh-roh!
You are so odd.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 11:07:03 PM »
People still watch jeopardy?

Let me refine that ... people that do not need to wear depends still watch jeopardy?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:11:50 PM »

Let me refine that ... people that do not need to wear depends still watch jeopardy?

More importantly, people still buy Apple stock?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 11:41:09 PM »

Scorching hot take there Stephen A. Heisenwhatever

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 05:06:57 AM »
You are so odd.

i'll take it that you have the older magazines-ya see here dentite, everyone has a different sense of humor, as noted by your cute little "joke" on the bottom of your posts.  just to let ya in on a little secret-some may find that to be, "a little odd" as well.  some might even find it to be offensive.  i actually got a little chuckle out of it because i have a sense of humor.  most times when people post things here that i find "odd", i just move on.  i have no one on ignore, but that's probably just me.  either filter it or ignore it.  give it a try...otherwise, life is good though, ein'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 07:15:18 AM »

If I am not busy with something else, I watch it pretty much every night.  I've taken online test three times but haven't progressed beyond the initial round.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 07:22:03 AM »
My 10 year old loves it.  He doesn't understand why he can't beat me.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:48:28 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 07:29:36 AM »
i'll take it that you have the older magazines-ya see here dentite, everyone has a different sense of humor, as noted by your cute little "joke" on the bottom of your posts.  just to let ya in on a little secret-some may find that to be, "a little odd" as well.  some might even find it to be offensive.  i actually got a little chuckle out of it because i have a sense of humor.  most times when people post things here that i find "odd", i just move on.  i have no one on ignore, but that's probably just me.  either filter it or ignore it.  give it a try...otherwise, life is good though, ein'a?
That's Anti-Dentite to you sir.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 07:51:08 AM »

If I am not busy with something else, I watch it pretty much every night.  I've taken online test three times but haven't progressed beyond the initial round.

Keep trying. I know a couple of people who got on, but they both flamed out spectacularly, saying, "It's a lot tougher when you're on state," and "The buzzer didn't work right." I guess the latter is a common complaint - there supposedly is a right way and a wrong way to hit it just right.

Anyway, let us know if you get on, Sultan. We can have a watching party!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 07:59:45 AM »

I'm 29 and have my DVR set to record every episode. I've been doing this since my junior year at MU. Shoutout to 2028 W. Michigan
Bring back FFP!!!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 08:17:05 AM »

So you weren't any good at Trivial Pursuit either were you?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 08:25:29 AM »
Keep trying. I know a couple of people who got on, but they both flamed out spectacularly, saying, "It's a lot tougher when you're on state," and "The buzzer didn't work right." I guess the latter is a common complaint - there supposedly is a right way and a wrong way to hit it just right.

Anyway, let us know if you get on, Sultan. We can have a watching party!

Trivia Show Trivia for $200

A: One of the main reasons Ken Jennings did so well on Jeopardy.

Q: What is figuring out the ideal time to buzz in?

Ken Jennings wasn't that much smarter or better at trivia than his opponents. Getting the timing right for the buzzer was Ken Jennings secret sauce.

To make the show watchable, you can't have people buzzing in while Alex is still reading the answer. So there is a period where the buzzer is dead. But if you buzz in early you get frozen out. Wait too long and someone else probably buzzes in before you.  We're talking fractions of a second here.

When all 3 contestants are buzzing in like crazy, luck typically decides who gets to answer.  But Ken Jennings actually made it a skill.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 08:38:34 AM »

Considering your knowledge level, a few episodes of Jeopardy would help.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 08:48:16 AM »
Trivia Show Trivia for $200

A: One of the main reasons Ken Jennings did so well on Jeopardy.

Q: What is figuring out the ideal time to buzz in?

Ken Jennings wasn't that much smarter or better at trivia than his opponents. Getting the timing right for the buzzer was Ken Jennings secret sauce.

To make the show watchable, you can't have people buzzing in while Alex is still reading the answer. So there is a period where the buzzer is dead. But if you buzz in early you get frozen out. Wait too long and someone else probably buzzes in before you.  We're talking fractions of a second here.

When all 3 contestants are buzzing in like crazy, luck typically decides who gets to answer.  But Ken Jennings actually made it a skill.

Until he faced Watson, which he could not out-buzz.  Just heard the TED Radio hour version of his TED talk which focused on Pride and feeling "obsolete" after being crushed by the computer

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 09:30:17 AM »
Considering your knowledge level, a few episodes of Jeopardy would help.

Ooh ... I giggled.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 09:48:12 AM »
I tried out a few years ago in a Chicago hotel ballroom back when the still had live auditions. Lost out to some nerd from Fermi lab.

I had a friend who made it onto the show at another time.  She confirmed that is all about being able to time the clicker.  It still sticks in her craw that she didn't get to answer a question about the Blues Brothers, especially since her husband is in a Blues Brothers tribute band.
Have some patience, FFS.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 09:50:39 AM »
I tried out a few years ago in a Chicago hotel ballroom back when the still had live auditions. Lost out to some nerd from Fermi lab.

I had a friend who made it onto the show at another time.  She confirmed that is all about being able to time the clicker.  It still sticks in her craw that she didn't get to answer a question about the Blues Brothers, especially since her husband is in a Blues Brothers tribute band.

Does it also stick in her craw that she agreed to spend the rest of her life with a guy who's in a Blue Brothers tribute band?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 09:51:33 AM »
Not sure how I feel about this.  On one hand, I'm glad no one said Michigan.  On the other hand, I'm baffled that Marquette's state is an $800 question that nobody bothered to answer.

Heck... I'll pick a bunch of Jesuit colleges at random, and I bet I could name all of their home states:

Saint Louis, Seattle, Loyola Maryland, Loyola New Orleans, Loyola Chicago, Boston College, Detroit Mercy, U of San Fran, Santa Clara, Scranton.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 09:52:22 AM »
Not sure how I feel about this.  On one hand, I'm glad no one said Michigan.  On the other hand, I'm baffled that Marquette's state is an $800 question that nobody bothered to answer.

Heck... I'll pick a bunch of Jesuit colleges at random, and I bet I could name all of their home states:

Saint Louis, Seattle, Loyola Maryland, Loyola New Orleans, Loyola Chicago, Boston College, Detroit Mercy, U of San Fran, Santa Clara, Scranton.

Don't forget that it is a bunch of dorks on that show. There's a reason there aren't that many sports categories.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »
Does it also stick in her craw that she agreed to spend the rest of her life with a guy who's in a Blue Brothers tribute band?

Well done.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 09:53:51 AM »
Don't forget that it is a bunch of dorks on that show. There's a reason there aren't that many sports categories.

I don't think it's a sports question as much as it's a higher-education question, which I think would be right up dork alley.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 09:54:29 AM »
Anybody else participate when they were on campus in 2007-08?  I made it past the initial test and got to do the trial run with the other remaining contestants (including eventual runner-up Danielle Zsenak.)  Lazar is right about the buzzer, which caused one of the guys in my group to get super-frustrated.

Fun fact: they make you write down 5 or so "about me" tidbits, which become the basis for Alex's mini-interviews after the first commercial.  I'm pretty sure they're also used to screen for contestants that have some semblance of a personality, where I think I failed horribly.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »

I'm stumped. What state is Loyala Maryland in?

feedback