Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How Haanif actually improved his game last season  (Read 12114 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: How Haanif actually improved his game last season
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »
Neighborhood  Watch.

Maybe the original post meant, "Don't stop believing in Marquette as Jajuan and Katin go there separate ways."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2017, 01:44:22 PM »
I posted before the season that Haanif would miss Ellenson, because Ellenson was the primary focus of the defense. The defense last year could focus more on Haanif's weaknesses. Now, it is up to Haanif to correct those weaknesses.

Given that Markus, Andrew, Senior JJJ, Hauser, and Katin were much more potent offensive threats than Haanif's teammates from freshman year, I don't think Henry's absence had anything to do Haanif's performance this season. Haanif was the second focus of the defense his freshmen year. He was like the 6th or 7th focus this past season.

Haanif didn't get worse. His teammates got much better and as a result he had a much less significant role.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2017, 03:20:32 PM »
Unlike last year, I'm far less concerned about the point guard position, perimeter shooting and rebounding. Point guard, in particular, is huge. And from a pure talent standpoint, I think our newcomers represent an upgrade in quickness and athleticism.

Wojo has shown he can put together a winning team that runs an exciting, high-scoring offense. Our success this coming season will depend on the answers to a number of questions:

1) Has much will Matt's game develop in the offseason?
2) Can Harry Froling provide a strong inside presence alongside Matt?
3) How much will Theo John and Ike Eke contribute inside?
4) Can Jonathan Cain help fill the void at the wing left by the departures of JaJuan and Katin?
5) Will Haanif improve to become a more efficient scorer and playmaker?
6) Can Greg Elliott take over Duane's role in the offense?
7) Will Markus take the reins as the team leader?
8) What kind of leadership will Andrew provide as the team's only senior?
9) How quickly will the freshmen adjust to playing against Big East level competition?
10) Will this team improve defensively — on ball, inside and in help rotations?

Number 10 might just be the most important one of all.

11. Will the year off payoff for Sacar.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2017, 04:17:30 PM »
11. Will the year off payoff for Sacar.

Good point. Sacar's contribution is another X factor. I'm sure I missed others.

BTW, thanks for the above correction on Jamal Cain.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2017, 07:02:06 PM »

Haanif didn't get worse. His teammates got much better and as a result he had a much less significant role.

Again, we disagree.

He had trouble making layups. He was indecisive. Defenses knew to take away his left hand and he had nothing. He was one of our better defenders, maybe even our best, and we were starved for defense; nevertheless, Wojo couldn't play him down the stretch because his confidence was shot (as was his offensive game).

You really believe otherwise, TAMU?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2017, 10:27:10 PM »
"Haanif didn't get worse. His teammates got much better and as a result he had a much less significant role."
                                                                                                                                                     Haanif did get worse and his teammates did get much better. You have this figured out minus the Haanif part.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:29:40 PM by Anti-Dentite »
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2017, 01:33:47 AM »
Again, we disagree.

He had trouble making layups. He was indecisive. Defenses knew to take away his left hand and he had nothing. He was one of our better defenders, maybe even our best, and we were starved for defense; nevertheless, Wojo couldn't play him down the stretch because his confidence was shot (as was his offensive game).

You really believe otherwise, TAMU?

100%. But you might not realize where I'm coming from. I was one of the few people who said Haanif was overrated last season. Going into this season I said he was maybe our 5th best player. When Markus and Hauser were better than expected, he dropped to our 7th best player.

People overvalued Haanif last season. He put up numbers as freshman because there was simply no other guard willing to put up numbers until JJJ went off in the last 10 games or so...which is when Haanif's numbers just happened to fall of a cliff. The bolded above....all of that was true freshman year. But on top of that he was also a poor rebounder, worse defender, and a turnover machine. He fixed those issues this year while the others stayed the same. Thus, he was better overall.

Last year he was overvalued. This year he's being undervalued. He was a better player as a sophomore than he was as a freshman. The stats prove it. He was just surrounded by much better players so his role diminished.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2017, 09:57:27 PM »
100%. But you might not realize where I'm coming from. I was one of the few people who said Haanif was overrated last season. Going into this season I said he was maybe our 5th best player. When Markus and Hauser were better than expected, he dropped to our 7th best player.

People overvalued Haanif last season. He put up numbers as freshman because there was simply no other guard willing to put up numbers until JJJ went off in the last 10 games or so...which is when Haanif's numbers just happened to fall of a cliff. The bolded above....all of that was true freshman year. But on top of that he was also a poor rebounder, worse defender, and a turnover machine. He fixed those issues this year while the others stayed the same. Thus, he was better overall.

Last year he was overvalued. This year he's being undervalued. He was a better player as a sophomore than he was as a freshman. The stats prove it. He was just surrounded by much better players so his role diminished.

Hmmm. Sounds like a guy who is delusional because he's about to get hitched!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2017, 12:30:05 PM »
Katin tweeting about Cheats
https://twitter.com/5swish/status/873394863462416385
Would seem he really enjoyed his time at MU
Goal is National Championship

feedback