[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How Haanif actually improved his game last season  (Read 12128 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: How Haanif actually improved his game last season
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 11:03:56 PM »
Hanni needs to work on three things this summer:

1) His
2) Right
3) Hand

Here are 3 more things.

1. His
2. mid-range
3. game

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 10:03:46 AM »
Massage the stats anyway you want, but down the stretch (as we battled to get off the bubble) Haanif played himself into being the last scholarship player off of our bench. Markus, Rowsey, JJJ, Katin and Duane were all better options at the position(s) he plays - by a wide margin. Three of the guys he was behind are gone so he gets another chance and we're all rooting for him. But if he puts up his 3rd consecutive sub 100 Ortg in conference play he'll either be on the sidelines or the team will be in trouble.
Must agree with Lenny here.  Haanif was my favorite player his Freshman year, but there is no denying he fell off a cliff as this year progressed.  The stats show that he certainly improved in a number of areas, but there was a very good reason he found his minutes dwindling towards zero by the end of the season. 

The stats show that he did some things well, but based on his own tweets, he fully acknowledged that his year was not acceptable.  I am encouraged that he embraced the need to improve rather than pout or make excuses.  Now we'll just have to see if he can actually improve his skills enough to earn back some minutes.  Certainly the drive is there, let's hope the ability is as well.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 10:08:11 AM »
See, I don't need advanced stats (or any stats, really) to tell me that Haani was quite bad in conference play. Wojo used his eyes, too. It took him a little while to glue Haani to the bench, but he realized he had to for the good of the team.

I enjoyed watching Haani play as a freshman. He seems like a nice young man, and I hope he finds his mojo - which will be accomplished by learning how to do a few things that have been well-chronicled here. If he doesn't improve significantly, regardless what any positive advanced stats from the 2016-17 season might suggest, he will be glued to the bench again. He simply was not good enough; anybody could see it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 01:08:41 PM »
See, I don't need advanced stats (or any stats, really) to tell me that Haani was quite bad in conference play.

You don't need them, but they support him being bad in conference play. ORtg down, eFG%, 2PFG%, & 3PFG% all down. Assist rate down, turnover percentage up, whether you used your eyes or advanced stats, his level of play declined.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2017, 12:04:26 AM »
You don't need them, but they support him being bad in conference play. ORtg down, eFG%, 2PFG%, & 3PFG% all down. Assist rate down, turnover percentage up, whether you used your eyes or advanced stats, his level of play declined.

Again, anybody with eyes and even a little basketball knowledge did not need statistical confirmation. We saw him struggle mightily.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2017, 12:34:38 AM »
Again, anybody with eyes and even a little basketball knowledge did not need statistical confirmation. We saw him struggle mightily.

JayBee sees things as no other!

#littlechris2nba

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2017, 03:56:42 AM »
I really thought that Haanif was going to transfer. He struggled, lost his starting job and I did not think he would stay around, if he was going to see a reduced role this coming season. He has not transferred and that can only mean one of two things. He either loves MU and Wojo enough to stay even with a diminished role or he expects to win his starting job back. I am assuming he expects to win his starting job back, which means he will take a step up in his game.

Jay Bee

• All American
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2017, 07:42:01 AM »
Must agree with Lenny here.  Haanif was my favorite player his Freshman year, but there is no denying he fell off a cliff as this year progressed.  The stats show that he certainly improved in a number of areas, but there was a very good reason he found his minutes dwindling towards zero by the end of the season. 

The stats show that he did some things well, but based on his own tweets, he fully acknowledged that his year was not acceptable.  I am encouraged that he embraced the need to improve rather than pout or make excuses.  Now we'll just have to see if he can actually improve his skills enough to earn back some minutes.  Certainly the drive is there, let's hope the ability is as well.

I'm cheering the young man on. I am looking forward to both Haani and Sacar stepping up on the court. Good to see they are doing well in the class room too.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 02:20:31 PM »
I really thought that Haanif was going to transfer. He struggled, lost his starting job and I did not think he would stay around, if he was going to see a reduced role this coming season. He has not transferred and that can only mean one of two things. He either loves MU and Wojo enough to stay even with a diminished role or he expects to win his starting job back. I am assuming he expects to win his starting job back, which means he will take a step up in his game.

It's one thing for him to think he will step up his game and another thing to do it. I hope he works on what he needs to, things that have been well-chronicled: mid-range game, right-handed finishes, right-hand ballhandling, etc. If he gets even good at those things (not even excellent), he can still be a very productive player who will not be easy to defend. Plus, his confidence will return; it was obvious he lost it last winter.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2017, 03:16:30 PM »
Geez, what should I believe. The advanced stats or my eyes?

To say that Haanif was better last year illustrates why many coaches still ignore advanced stats.

How going from a go-to guy to the end of the bench means improvement is beyond silliness.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »
Geez, what should I believe. The advanced stats or my eyes?

To say that Haanif was better last year illustrates why many coaches still ignore advanced stats.

How going from a go-to guy to the end of the bench means improvement is beyond silliness.

Nope. You should believe your eyes AND understand how to analyze the stats.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2017, 03:37:11 PM »

+1

Both have value.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2017, 03:42:52 PM »

Because he was a go to guy on a terrible team. He, for the season, was a role player on a very good team. Haanif didn't decline so much as the talent around him got better and passed him.

That being said, I'm looking at his stats for the whole season. It is true that both years he declined in conference play.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 04:08:01 PM »
Because he was a go to guy on a terrible team. He, for the season, was a role player on a very good team. Haanif didn't decline so much as the talent around him got better and passed him.

That being said, I'm looking at his stats for the whole season. It is true that both years he declined in conference play.

Which, given how terrible our OOC schedule was in '15, should be no surprise. '16 was better, but of course it's harder in conference.

We should all hope for improvement, but I think the lack of jump between year 1 and year 2 means we should temper expectations for this jump. It's unlikely he's developed a jump shot or to use his right hand going to the rim. We should expect reduction in mental lapses, turnovers and improved defense. Win in my book.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2017, 05:33:25 PM »

I completely agree with you, JB. (I know - hard to believe and all).

If you look back at my criticisms of advanced stats - and I have been a fan of them since the early '80s - it is when people contend that they are the end-all and be-all of sports knowledge. 

In reality, at the pro level, any GM that does not use them to help build his team is negligent.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2017, 09:02:18 PM »
Because he was a go to guy on a terrible team.

I happen to agree that we were terrible in 2015-16, but this is the first time I've seen one of our wojophiles admit as much. When did you have your epiphany?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2017, 09:43:22 PM »
I happen to agree that we were terrible in 2015-16, but this is the first time I've seen one of our wojophiles admit as much. When did you have your epiphany?

? Never said that it was a good team. But it was a helluva lot better than the year before considering the age of the team and a great step in the right direction for the Wojo program.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2017, 10:11:04 PM »
? Never said that it was a good team. But it was a helluva lot better than the year before considering the age of the team and a great step in the right direction for the Wojo program.

Just pulling your chain a little. But while you may have never called that team "good" I don't think you ever called them "terrible", either. And the distance between good and terrible is HUGE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2017, 10:59:45 PM »

Hmmm. We usually agree, TAMU ... but Haani really, really sucked the last three months last season. Sorry. There's no kind way to say it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2017, 09:28:17 AM »
How do Wojo's stats compare to Haani's Frosh and Soph years? I ask in that Wojo said he wasn't the most gifted college player and may see a lot of himself in Haani. The question is will Haani respond in the same way, but what do I know.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2017, 10:58:52 AM »
I posted before the season that Haanif would miss Ellenson, because Ellenson was the primary focus of the defense. The defense last year could focus more on Haanif's weaknesses. Now, it is up to Haanif to correct those weaknesses.

It will be interesting to see how the loss of JJJ and Reinhardt effect the returning players. Last year the defense knew that both JJJ and Reinhardt were more likely to shoot than any other MU player on the court. Sam and Markus will have more opportunity to shoot with them being gone, but maybe it makes Sam and Markus easier to defend. Wilson also left, so our ability to take the ball to the basket may of greatly diminished, which may allow the defense to focus more on the outside shooters.
JJJ was also a pretty good passer, when he got cut off on his drives.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2017, 12:25:25 PM »
I posted before the season that Haanif would miss Ellenson, because Ellenson was the primary focus of the defense. The defense last year could focus more on Haanif's weaknesses. Now, it is up to Haanif to correct those weaknesses.

It will be interesting to see how the loss of JJJ and Reinhardt effect the returning players. Last year the defense knew that both JJJ and Reinhardt were more likely to shoot than any other MU player on the court. Sam and Markus will have more opportunity to shoot with them being gone, but maybe it makes Sam and Markus easier to defend. Wilson also left, so our ability to take the ball to the basket may of greatly diminished, which may allow the defense to focus more on the outside shooters.
JJJ was also a pretty good passer, when he got cut off on his drives.

Unlike last year, I'm far less concerned about the point guard position, perimeter shooting and rebounding. Point guard, in particular, is huge. And from a pure talent standpoint, I think our newcomers represent an upgrade in quickness and athleticism.

Wojo has shown he can put together a winning team that runs an exciting, high-scoring offense. Our success this coming season will depend on the answers to a number of questions:

1) Has much will Matt's game develop in the offseason?
2) Can Harry Froling provide a strong inside presence alongside Matt?
3) How much will Theo John and Ike Eke contribute inside?
4) Can Jonathan Cain help fill the void at the wing left by the departures of JaJuan and Katin?
5) Will Haanif improve to become a more efficient scorer and playmaker?
6) Can Greg Elliott take over Duane's role in the offense?
7) Will Markus take the reins as the team leader?
8) What kind of leadership will Andrew provide as the team's only senior?
9) How quickly will the freshmen adjust to playing against Big East level competition?
10) Will this team improve defensively — on ball, inside and in help rotations?

Number 10 might just be the most important one of all.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2017, 12:44:44 PM »
4) Can Jonathan Cain help fill the void at the wing left by the departures of JaJuan and Katin?

Probably won't provide anything. Jamal Cain, though, should provide at least something.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2017, 12:54:49 PM »
Probably won't provide anything. Jamal Cain, though, should provide at least something.

Neighborhood  Watch.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust