[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: WTMJ conversations - Bill Scholl  (Read 10291 times)

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
Re: WTMJ conversations - Bill Scholl
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 09:16:05 AM »
Interesting comments regarding adding sports.  While nothing is close to happening, they apparently have had conversations about Men's Volleyball paired with Women's Golf.  Said we could be a power in volleyball almost immediately.

No football.  No baseball.

I mentioned volleyball a week or so ago and plenty of doubt arose from some of you.  Now some singing different tune.   ::) http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=42281.msg928291#msg928291

I have been told they have been serious about it.   If you look at the rosters of most of the midwest schools that have men's volleyball, there are loaded with kids from California, Florida, New York, Illinois and international.  A chance for MU to bring in kids from outside their traditional space.  The same argument made for Lacrosse.  There aren't that many midwest teams right now, so why not strike before it gets to be a crowded space.  National champs Ohio State, half their roster from California, not one kid from the state of Ohio. Loyola had similar roster make ups in years past. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 09:16:33 AM »
Top 5 program in the country in what sport?

Here u go ahole.  First reference i could find.  One of the top ranked teams in the country perennially
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 09:18:07 AM »
If we add Mens Volleyball , I will make it a point to lobby for you to be our first head coach.

Please no.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 09:20:14 AM »
Here u go ahole.  First reference i could find.  One of the top ranked teams in the country perennially

1. You didn't provide the reference.
2. I doubt that reference says "top 5."
3. You have been pretty much the biggest a-hole on Scoop since you joined.

Hope this helps.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 09:20:28 AM »
Wade, on the outside chance we did add volleyball with 99% certainty we'd be in the MIVA, right?

For those of you not familiar with men's volleyball, just know that MU would be hard pressed to make a NCAA tourney for at least a decade.

Lacrosse people said the same thing, we've been in the NCAA tournament twice in first 5 years.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 09:22:59 AM »
Personally would love to see MU Hockey. Realize that its a pipe dream. Just something that I'd like to see.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »
There is definitely some talent in the area no doubt.  But if you really want to compete with even the top Midwest teams you're going to have to pull kids from CA and/or foreign players.

I would not recommend putting much, if any, stock into the AES rankings, unless the system has drastically changed over the last couple of years.  When I was coaching literally nobody spent the time submitting their results to AES.  You would see teams who wouldn't even come close to qualifying for nationals being ranked in the top 5 on their rankings.  It may have changed recently though.

PR teams are usually great through 15s, very competitive at 16s, and then drop off at 17s and 18s.  For whatever reason, they develop physically very early and then end up being very short with decent athleticism later on.  Usually at 17s and 18s they'll combine various teams to have one team at least compete, but it's rare that at 17s and 18s they're a true contender.  They certainly have more "flair."  Lots of swinging a thousand miles an hour and whooping it up when it works out.

Correct you are on California and international players.  See Ohio State's roster, barely any midwesterners on there at all.

Top 150 high school teams in the nation, about 90% from California

http://www.maxpreps.com/rankings/boys-volleyball-spring-17/1/national.htm

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 09:28:08 AM »
Lacrosse people said the same thing, we've been in the NCAA tournament twice in first 5 years.

Lacrosse hired the right head coach with the right philosophy.  So MU was fortunate in that regard.  That shouldn't lead MU to believe that being successful at a new sport would be a given.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 09:39:52 AM »

Lacrosse hired the right head coach with the right philosophy.  So MU was fortunate in that regard.  That shouldn't lead MU to believe that being successful at a new sport would be a given.

You appear to be quite the visionary.  Stay hiding in the corner, i will roll with guys like Scholl.  Let me guess, u have never started a business or taken a step out on anything, right.  Definitely a glass mostly empty kind if guy.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:41:39 AM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2017, 09:46:55 AM »
........and there is your thread lock.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »
You appear to be quite the visionary.  Stay hiding in the corner, i will roll with guys like Scholl.  Let me guess, u have never started a business or taken a step out on anything, right.  Definitely a glass mostly empty kind if guy.

Uh...no.  I would be all for starting a men's volleyball program for many of the reasons stated here if Scholl & Co think it's a good idea.  I just don't think the reasoning should include "well we were immediately successful at lacrosse."  Different sport.  Different landscape.

Nice try though.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 10:00:00 AM »

I would hope someone starting a business has a basic understanding of probability, otherwise they would likely be out of business very quickly.

Recognizing the rarity of MU LAX-type success and setting expectations accordingly doesn't preclude the ability to have that type of success.   ::)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2017, 10:20:51 AM »
Most likely not. Bucks games would get in the way. That is why the Badgers football/basketball is no longer on WTMJ.

I think it was a bit more complicated than that.  Even with WTMJ being the flag for Packers, Brewers & Bucks... someone is still
getting bumped to a sister station.  Both UW sports are last on the priority list; nevertheless, when rodent football and basketball used to start at 11:00a on Saturdays, there weren't many conflicts because the pro teams mostly played afternoons and evenings.  Now, with the advent of BTN (and the accompanying pressure on the universities to push games into prime time), the potential for radio conflicts has grown exponentially.

Since MU wouldn't have any football conflicts, and there's a natural barrier to most conflicts with the Bucks (they can't play home games at the same time), MU would be a much better fit for WTMJ than UW from a programming standpoint (and would widen exposure for MU), but there's also the business side which I presume is the obstacle that cannot be overcome... otherwise, it would have happened already.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2017, 10:33:27 AM »
Would WTMJ's ratings improve over its "normal programming" if they broadcast MU games?  I don't get the impression that the radio audience is all that sizable. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2017, 10:58:11 AM »

Correct you are on California and international players.  See Ohio State's roster, barely any midwesterners on there at all.

Top 150 high school teams in the nation, about 90% from California

http://www.maxpreps.com/rankings/boys-volleyball-spring-17/1/national.htm

The problem with these lists are that different states have men's volleyball in different seasons.  Wisconsin, New York, Texas (and probably others) have men's volleyball in the fall.  Illinois, California (and probably others) have men's volleyball in the spring.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2017, 11:01:39 AM »
I mentioned volleyball a week or so ago and plenty of doubt arose from some of you.  Now some singing different tune.   ::) http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=42281.msg928291#msg928291

I have been told they have been serious about it.   If you look at the rosters of most of the midwest schools that have men's volleyball, there are loaded with kids from California, Florida, New York, Illinois and international.  A chance for MU to bring in kids from outside their traditional space.  The same argument made for Lacrosse.  There aren't that many midwest teams right now, so why not strike before it gets to be a crowded space.  National champs Ohio State, half their roster from California, not one kid from the state of Ohio. Loyola had similar roster make ups in years past.

Who's singing a different tune?  When MU added lacrosse, men's volleyball was the other sport they seriously considered adding.  They went with lacrosse.  They had their reasons for it beyond just athletics.  This is directly from Mike Broeker, and if you watch the documentary on the lacrosse team he basically says as much.

Saying that adding men's volleyball now would be the time to do it IF they were going to do it (which they aren't) is not changing tunes from saying that they discussed men's volleyball at one point but went with men's lacrosse.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2017, 11:02:31 AM »

Sultan covered it.  You didn't provide any reference.  Ball State is a 2nd tier team in their 2nd tier conference.  They aren't a top 10 program in the country and have never been a top 5 program in the country.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
Would WTMJ's ratings improve over its "normal programming" if they broadcast MU games?  I don't get the impression that the radio audience is all that sizable.

Dunno if it would help WMTJ, but I'd like to hear Marquette on WTMJ instead of 540.  540 Barely reaches Racine, but 620 comes in clear as far as Gurnee

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2017, 11:18:11 AM »
Dunno if it would help WMTJ, but I'd like to hear Marquette on WTMJ instead of 540.  540 Barely reaches Racine, but 620 comes in clear as far as Gurnee

Three words:  TuneIn Radio app.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2017, 11:47:33 AM »
Sultan covered it.  You didn't provide any reference.  Ball State is a 2nd tier team in their 2nd tier conference.  They aren't a top 10 program in the country and have never been a top 5 program in the country.

You sure about that never part? They were in a bunch of final fours in the '70s and '80s, last one being in 2002. Take the '77 championship out of it and Ball State is the "Marquette" of men's college volleyball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2017, 11:55:50 AM »

I think that for the major AM stations, their ratings in the evening hours (when there is no game on) are pretty much driven by people who tune to the station for the morning and/or afternoon drives and simply don't change the station if they find themselves driving around in the evening (i.e. they don't care about the content, they're not going to flip through stations to find something else).  In other words, if 10,000 people are listening to the normal 7:00p show on a given Tuesday night, I would suspect the vast majority of the 10,000 will listen to whatever game WTMJ puts on, plus they'll add the people who are changing the station to listen to MU.

So the $M question isn't whether ratings would rise, it's whether the marginal increase can justify the cost of programming (because MU ain't broadcasting for free).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2017, 11:57:41 AM »
You sure about that never part? They were in a bunch of final fours in the '70s and '80s, last one being in 2002. Take the '77 championship out of it and Ball State is the "Marquette" of men's college volleyball.

Making the Final Four out of the MIVA hasn't been all that amazing of an accomplishment until the last decade. A better comparison would be if some small conference school won their conference tournament a bunch of straight years and saying they're one of the top programs in the country because they have the longest NCAA Tournament appearance streak in the country.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2017, 12:27:52 PM »

I think they would have been considered top 5 back in the late 80s/early 90s. Not sure about 70s. There's always midwest/east coat representation in the final 4 so it sort of skews things, you'd have to be following closely enough to the regular seasons back then to know how Ball State would fare out West. I would not call them top 5 all-time.

The barrier to be competitive isn't that high. There are enough players between Wisconsin and Illinois to be competitive. To compete for championships would take a special coach and program builder, but there isn't some magical California air that makes players jump higher and hit harder.  There are plenty of top 50/75 kids that don't even play division 1 because of the scholarship situation and lack of options. The cost of MU is sort of a downer when it comes to this conversation with only a few scholarships to split up, but Loyola does it, and they are comparable.  UWM was division 1 back in the day and competed with top 20 Wisconsin kids only pretty much.

There's only 36 schools that offer D1/D2 scholarships and each only offers 4.5 if they are fully funded.  Look at this list of the current RPI (http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-men/nc/nc-mens-volleyball-rpi). Many of these schools are small and wouldn't attract as much as Marquette just from a general academic perspective. Being a top 20 program within a few years isn't crazy at all, at that point you get a few kids that develop to the all-american/conference level and you could compete for championships.

I'd love it, I'm not sure the need for it, but I'd love it.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2017, 08:20:44 PM »
I didn't know there was a decision made between adding lacrosse or men's volleyball a few years back. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during those discussions.

Did the men's club lacrosse team have significant success at the club level prior to becoming a varsity sport? And if so, were any of the club players kept on as part of the transition to varsity?

feedback