collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best guitarists  (Read 10500 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Best guitarists
« on: May 20, 2017, 02:43:12 PM »
Page
Slow hand
SRV
David Gilmour

tower912

• All American
Re: Best guitarists
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 02:45:12 PM »
In no particular order
Clapton
Eddie VH
Satriani
Edge
Prince
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 03:59:33 PM »
Al Di Meola

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 04:03:25 PM »
Eddie Van Halen
George Lynch
Randi Rhodes
Warren DeMartini
Peter Frampton

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 04:35:22 PM »
In no particular order
Clapton
Eddie VH
Satriani
Edge
Prince

Well done including Prince in this list.

His solo at the end of this cover of While My guitar gently weeps is a masterpiece.

https://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 04:44:17 PM »
In no particular order
Clapton
Eddie VH
Satriani
Edge
Prince

Tom Morello
Edge
Clapton
Prince
Buddy Guy

As technically great as EVH and Satriani are, I was never a big fan of "guitar gymnastics".

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 04:47:03 PM »
It should NOT take until the sixth post for someone to mention Jimi Hendrix.  Really he was incredibly influential and way ahead of his time.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:49:31 PM by Sultan of Slap O' Fivin' »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
This is a tough thing to ask. Are we talking originality? Most complex solos? Ability to play faster than most everyone else?
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 05:41:48 PM »
Santana, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 05:44:20 PM »
Andre Segovia
John Williams

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 06:21:09 PM »
Hendrix
Prince
Clapton

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »
I don't think Prince could do this....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v35YhhzCrYk

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 07:48:09 PM »
Jerry. End of story
Bring back FFP!!!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 07:54:17 PM »
I don't think Prince could do this....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v35YhhzCrYk

Yeah, he could...  I also imagine Paco and Al could learn every note that Prince that ever played.  I am of the belief when it comes to this argument, it's not what song they played, but how they did it, and the impact it had on its listeners.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 08:33:07 PM »
Yeah, he could...  I also imagine Paco and Al could learn every note that Prince that ever played.  I am of the belief when it comes to this argument, it's not what song they played, but how they did it, and the impact it had on its listeners.

Reinko is right on point.  As a guitar player for over thirty five years, I used to stack my Marshals three high.  Watching the acoustic Di Meola is sort of boring to me and I would have rather watched Eddie Van Halen's Eruption from Youtube.  But, you can also watch DiMeola play alongside Steve Vai, a very accomplished rock guitarist and see what he can do plugged in.  Pretty awesome.

When it comes to listeners and what you enjoy, each person has its own.  A few years ago, my wife wanted to see Zach Brown Band and since I really don't like country music, I wasn't too overjoyed at attending, but I did.  The crowd was very into the band and they appeared to be fine musicians.  After about an hour, they all of a sudden did a cover of Mettalica's "Enter Sandman" and I said what...... It was outstanding with a fiddle player doing the lead guitar solos, the guy hit it note for note.  Then they did a cover of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and I almost fell out of my chair, just outstanding.  Later found out that the band does this cover song thing at every concert.  Surprised, but musicians are musicians and can play a lot of songs you never thought they would.   

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 09:02:10 PM »
I remember 4-5 years ago I again heard that 'nobody good ever plays Summerfest'.  Over the span of two to three nights, it featured Eric Clapton, Steve Howe, Buddy Guy and one or two other true legends I'm not recalling.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 12:24:55 AM »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 08:40:51 AM »

Zappa

Jerry. End of story

his noodling is reason #1 of why I don't like the Dead

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:54:30 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 09:06:23 AM »
Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Duane Allman
Albert King
Daltrey
Page
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 09:16:54 AM »

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 09:43:13 AM »
Brain fart meant Townsend

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 10:20:54 AM »
The number of you folks leaving off Hendrix is batpoop crazy. He's #1.

And Rolling Stone agrees! http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123/jimi-hendrix-20120705

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2017, 10:30:15 AM »
Zappa

You're listening to the wrong Dead then. Sure 65-69 was a lot of noodling and experimental but the remaining 25 years of the band was straight fire (minus drums>space). It's actually the 40th anniversary of one the greatest runs ever in May 77. Give some of those shows a listen. Or the late 80s before Brent died. The noodling doesn't exist outside of a few songs.

As far as other guitarist: Duane Allman, Trey, Jake Cinniger of Umphreys McGee, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, just to name a few.
Bring back FFP!!!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 12:53:01 PM »
You're listening to the wrong Dead then. Sure 65-69 was a lot of noodling and experimental but the remaining 25 years of the band was straight fire (minus drums>space). It's actually the 40th anniversary of one the greatest runs ever in May 77. Give some of those shows a listen. Or the late 80s before Brent died. The noodling doesn't exist outside of a few songs.

As far as other guitarist: Duane Allman, Trey, Jake Cinniger of Umphreys McGee, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, just to name a few.

see I like the stuff up through the bluegrass era, trust me I've heard plenty of the Dead, my brother has all of the boxsets including both of the '77 tour sets. He's always trying to convert me. Actually, the Dead show at Alpine in 1985 was the 1st concert I ever walked out early on. Just doesn't work for me kind of like how John Popper's harp style ruined Blues Traveler to me. YMMV which is fine.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 07:08:11 PM »
Some of my faves

Johnny Greenwood
Jeff Tweedy
Jim James
Jack White
Jason Pierce
Zachary Cole Smith
Mac Demarco

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 07:25:39 PM »
It should NOT take until the sixth post for someone to mention Jimi Hendrix.  Really he was incredibly influential and way ahead of his time.

I purposely did not include him. It's like arguing if MJ is the greatest ever. Just a given.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2017, 10:29:46 PM »
Some of my faves

Johnny Greenwood
Jeff Tweedy
Jim James
Jack White
Jason Pierce
Zachary Cole Smith
Mac Demarco

Mac Demarco! He has no place in a best guitarist convo but damn if that slacker rock jizz jazz ain't fun listening.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 10:48:34 PM »
Buckethead

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 08:01:02 AM »
Mac Demarco! He has no place in a best guitarist convo but damn if that slacker rock jizz jazz ain't fun listening.

Ha fo sho!

Not about what you can do on the guitboard for me, it's about the style  and feel. I like the laid back sloppy vibe he brings to the table, haven't really heard anything else like it.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 10:50:49 AM »
Kevin Shields
Johnny Marr
Ian Williams
J Mascis
Thurston Moore/Lee Randaldo

(I do appreciate the older generation of players, but generally am not in tune with their styles)
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 12:52:44 PM »
Ha fo sho!

Not about what you can do on the guitboard for me, it's about the style  and feel. I like the laid back sloppy vibe he brings to the table, haven't really heard anything else like it.

Exactly.

That is why I was always a fan of John Lennon's guitar work. Not a "great" guitarist by any neasurement, but I liked the rough, dirty style that he had.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2017, 01:22:32 PM »
These kind of ranking reminds me of an Arthur Schlesinger, Jr., quote, that I will have to paraphrase:  We are all prisoners of our own experience. 

And that quote applies to me in any thing we do... I always try to remember that... 

I know this is for fun, but the category is way too broad to have a decent discussion.   It probably should be limited to rock and blues as that is what most of us know about/hear/play.

Having played classical guitar, rock, blues, etc, one has to remember that classical and jazz are by far the hardest to play... and you have to know music theory to play these on a level that is not needed for blues or rock.  Not even close... some of the names thrown around on here who play rock guitar know next to nothing and are extremely limited in what they know and can do... extremely limited.  Not even close when comparing a great jazz guitarist to a page or hendrix.  To play rock and blues, classic rock takes very limited talent compared to mediocre classical and jazz players. And, I love page's stuff and appreciate his music and enjoy playing it (but it is easy and really basic 3 finger stuff).  Blues is really the easiest to play by far, unless you are talking about some county singer who strums or hand picks three open cords and sings (which is fine, it is what it is).

So, I'd have to say, if it is across the board, then, Segovia is by far the best gutarist I've heard and had the pleasure to see in person (he was old when I saw him, had to be helped out on stage, sat on this stool and jammed like a 30 year old for a few hours - truly amazing). Someone above mentioned Segovia, and I suspect that person must play guitar and has experience in various genres.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrés_Segovia

Now, if you are taking about influence or ground breaking sounds limited to rock guitar, then Hendrix and Page have to be near the top of the list.  Page's gritty animalistic sound is probably my favorite thing to play along with some Jack White (who is derivative of the guitar rock gods - but still has some cool sounds).   Some of the others guys mentioned in the Van Halen/California 80's and 90's rock style achieved a new sound that is much harder to play then the older rock guys, a lot more advanced techniques, hammer ons with the right hand, a strong pinky no the left that isn't left dangling behind the neck, fast action, etc.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2017, 03:16:18 PM »
Oh and Peter Green.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2017, 04:25:27 PM »
Oh and pre-1972 Peter Green.

FTFY   ;)

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2017, 07:47:51 PM »

rmi210

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 03:14:20 AM »
Zappa

I dont think Jerry is Number 1 but to be honest, with the exception of the acid test years Jerry was very concise in his playing. 

As Santana said " Most people who play the blues are very conservative. They stay a certain way. Jerry Garcia was painting outside the frame. He played blues but mixed it with bluegrass and Ravi Shankar. He had country and Spanish in there. There was a lot of Chet Atkins in him – going up and down the frets. But you could always hear a theme in his playing. It's like putting beads on a string, instead of throwing them around a room. Jerry had a tremendous sense of purpose. When you take a solo, decide what to say, get there and give it to the next guy. That's how Jerry worked in the Dead."

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 09:55:24 AM »
Like I said YMMV, Jerry does nothing for me but obviously millions of deadheads might have a different opinion.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:33:47 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2017, 01:05:29 PM »
Surprised no one has mentioned that guy on every college dorm floor trying to impress chicks by playing Dave Matthews songs on an acoustic guitar.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2017, 01:08:44 PM »
Buckethead

+1  Technical genius.  Commercial moron.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2017, 01:33:29 PM »
Surprised no one has mentioned that guy on every college dorm floor trying to impress chicks by playing Dave Matthews songs on an acoustic guitar.

Or "Wonderwall."
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »
Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Duane Allman
Albert King
Daltrey
Page

+1

I'd also throw Prince and Gary Moore in there.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2017, 02:45:38 PM »
Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Duane Allman
Albert King
Daltrey
Page

+1

I'd also throw Prince and Gary Moore in there.

a lot of love for Roger Daltrey, the Phantom guitarist   ;)

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2017, 02:50:36 PM »
a lot of love for Roger Daltrey, the Phantom guitarist   ;)

Ya, minus him, not really sure what he's doing there. I assume he meant to say Townshend.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2017, 04:07:01 PM »
Jerry was doing things on the guitar that were outside the box of playing guitar. He gave songs soul, he added melodies, he gave an identity to the show and band. There is no one else who took control and painted over the music as a whole other than Jerry. He wasnt the fastest player, but he didnt have to be. He wasnt the most technically skilled, but he didnt have to be. He wasnt the loudest, but he certainly didnt have to be. Jerry carried the spirit of the Dead and the "movement" that followed them. Other than the Beatles, the Dead have a legacy that is untouchable by anyone to date. And Jerry was the forefront of it all.

The music never stopped my friends.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2017, 04:39:49 PM »
Jerry Garcia?!? HAHAHA

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2017, 09:51:08 PM »
The Greatful Dead is elevator music.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2017, 08:37:15 AM »
If you think the GD is elevator music you have an infantile view of music. They were one of the most successful and highest grossing bands in the last 50 years. Their legacy is still carrying strong. They were/are incredible musicians.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2017, 08:56:23 AM »
If you think the GD is elevator music you have an infantile view of music. They were one of the most successful and highest grossing bands in the last 50 years. Their legacy is still carrying strong. They were/are incredible musicians.

You should probably fact check this, or make further clarifications to "highest grossing bands in the last 50 years".

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2017, 08:59:55 AM »
Derek Trucks
Clapton (Buddy Guy has said many times that nobody has done more w a guitar than Eric)
Jimi (music sounds completely different pre & post Jimi)
Duane Allman
EVH

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2017, 10:16:22 AM »
Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Duane Allman
Albert King
Daltrey
Townsend
Page

I'd also add Jeff Beck and Alex Lifeson (sp)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2017, 11:16:29 AM »
#1 - Zappa
#2 - Hendrix

Jimi was #1 while he was alive but he falls short over time because he failed to stick around and evolve as music evolved. Within a few years of his death others like Trower or the Randies California and Hansen could play every Hendrix lick.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:39:02 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2017, 01:36:46 PM »
"I love the Dead. As far as Jerry Garcia, Jerry Garcia can walk on water. He could do anything man could ever do. He's a prince"- Duane Allman

A lot of people claiming Eric Clapton is the best. In Clapton's book he said Duane Allman was the best guitarist he's ever met. Duane had that to say about Jerry. Therefore Jerry's the best.

Just like if MU woulda beat South Carolina we woulda made the final four.

And saying the Dead couldn't write songs in insane. Robert Hunter is in a league of his own as far as American song writing. Maybe only Dylan can compete. But there's no point in arguing with someone who points to studio Dead as a reason why they don't like the band. Crazy
Bring back FFP!!!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2017, 02:12:22 PM »
"I love the Dead. As far as Jerry Garcia, Jerry Garcia can walk on water. He could do anything man could ever do. He's a prince"- Duane Allman

A lot of people claiming Eric Clapton is the best. In Clapton's book he said Duane Allman was the best guitarist he's ever met. Duane had that to say about Jerry. Therefore Jerry's the best.

And saying the Dead couldn't write songs in insane. Robert Hunter is in a league of his own as far as American song writing. Maybe only Dylan can compete. But there's no point in arguing with someone who points to studio Dead as a reason why they don't like the band. Crazy

Clapton can't meet himself, so he's still the best.

I'm not a Dead Head but I know a few.  When they've played GD music, I just am not impressed.  And that's ok, just like it's ok that some people love GD.  One of the great mysteries is why we like the music we do. Musical taste is unique to each individual.  What one person loves, another may hate.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2017, 02:23:13 PM »
3 pages and not one mention of Nils Lofgren?  ::)
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2017, 03:07:58 PM »

?-(  I never posted that, I posted that Garcia's noodling is why the Dead aren't my cup of tea. I didn't post that the Dead couldn't write songs but that for being together for 30 years they sure didn't release very many in the last 15, they just coasted on drugs and live performances because they could get away with that.

Your Allman quote doesn't actually state Jerry was the best in Duane's opinion. Perhaps Duane liked Jerry's heroin and Eric liked Duane's.

Comparing Hunter to Dylan? Well at least Dylan is a prolific songwriter. Deadheads are apparently easily trolled.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:21:40 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2017, 03:13:48 PM »

Robert Hunter is in a league of his own as far as American song writing. Maybe only Dylan can compete. But there's no point in arguing with someone who points to studio Dead as a reason why they don't like the band. Crazy

Silliness like this renders the rest of what you say to be meaningless.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2017, 03:26:42 PM »
You should probably fact check this, or make further clarifications to "highest grossing bands in the last 50 years".

"one of the most successful and highest grossing bands"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2017, 04:07:48 PM »

Okay, now we need sources.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2017, 04:34:47 PM »
?-(  I never posted that, I posted that Garcia's noodling is why the Dead aren't my cup of tea. I didn't post that the Dead couldn't write songs but that for being together for 30 years they sure didn't release very many in the last 15, they just coasted on drugs and live performances because they could get away with that.

Your Allman quote doesn't actually state Jerry was the best in Duane's opinion. Perhaps Duane liked Jerry's heroin and Eric liked Duane's.

Comparing Hunter to Dylan? Well at least Dylan is a prolific songwriter. Deadheads are apparently easily trolled.

The Dead were coming out with and playing new songs up until the day Jerry died. Just because they didn't put them on a record doesn't mean they didn't have new material.

In fact throughout their career they would play all of their "new" songs live, numerous times, before putting them on an album.

"We make sh!tty records"-  Jerry Garcia
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:37:07 PM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2017, 07:05:51 PM »
Steve Cropper

"I'm a soul man,
I'm a soul man, play it Steve
I'm a soul man,
I'm a soul man'

James Burton

"A hallmark of Elvis' live shows during this period was his exhortation, "Play it, James," as a cue for the guitarist's solos."
wiki

Have yet to hear any singer ever say "Play it, Jerry", or "Play it, Eddie".

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2017, 07:13:29 PM »

I guess this means Garth brooks is a greater musician than Hank Williams.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:17:54 PM by Mutaman »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2017, 08:19:18 PM »
I'm giving up on embedding: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU4VRs2rro

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2017, 08:45:08 PM »
I'm giving up on embedding: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU4VRs2rro

:D
For the sake of argument I'll give you Britney Spears over Miles Davis, but
I refuse to believe that  Trump is of greater value than Bob Odenkirk.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2017, 12:39:22 AM »
This fellow was quite talented ...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PCR3GSXGFc4
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2017, 01:10:15 PM »
This fellow was quite talented ...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PCR3GSXGFc4

Any garage band hack can do what this guy does. Of course most crappy guitarists don't threaten the lives of the president.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2017, 02:44:18 PM »
Any garage band hack can do what this guy does. Of course most crappy guitarists don't threaten the lives of the president.

Ted now claims he didn't realize at the time that this song (or for that matter the entire album) promoted drugs.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »
Ted now claims he didn't realize at the time that this song (or for that matter the entire album) promoted drugs.

I seriously doubt these songs are all about drugs but I'd have to play the LP again to confirm:

Side one
1."Mississippi Murderer" (Nugent, Farmer) – 5:12
2."Surrender to Your Kings" (Nugent) – 2:52
3."Flight of the Byrd" (Nugent) – 2:50
4."Scottish Tea" (Nugent) – 4:01
5."Dr. Slingshot" (Nugent, Farmer) – 3:09

Side two
1."Journey to the Center of the Mind" (Nugent, Farmer) – 3:33
2."Ivory Castles" (Farmer) – 3:21
3."Why Is a Carrot More Orange Than an Orange" (Farmer) – 2:26
4."Missionary Mary" (Farmer) – 2:35
5."Death Is Life" (Farmer) – 2:08
6."Saint Philips Friend" (Farmer) – 3:33
7."I'll Prove I'm Right" (Farmer) – 1:38
8."Conclusion" (Nugent, Farmer) – 1:57

Obviously "Why Is a Carrot More Orange Than an Orange" has to be a drug tune
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:07:39 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2017, 03:26:41 PM »
I seriously doubt these songs are all about drugs but I'd have to play the LP again to confirm:

Side one
1."Mississippi Murderer" (Nugent, Farmer) – 5:12
2."Surrender to Your Kings" (Nugent) – 2:52
3."Flight of the Byrd" (Nugent) – 2:50
4."Scottish Tea" (Nugent) – 4:01
5."Dr. Slingshot" (Nugent, Farmer) – 3:09

Side two
1."Journey to the Center of the Mind" (Nugent, Farmer) – 3:33
2."Ivory Castles" (Farmer) – 3:21
3."Why Is a Carrot More Orange Than an Orange" (Farmer) – 2:26
4."Missionary Mary" (Farmer) – 2:35
5."Death Is Life" (Farmer) – 2:08
6."Saint Philips Friend" (Farmer) – 3:33
7."I'll Prove I'm Right" (Farmer) – 1:38
8."Conclusion" (Nugent, Farmer) – 1:57

If i concede that the entire album is not about drugs, will you do yourself a major favor and not play it again? Ellington said there are only two kinds of music: good and the other kind. Why waste the precious time you have in life listening to "the other kind" when there's so much good out there? And while you're listening to say "Layla", or " Some Girls". or "To Pimp a Butterfly", google the word "hyperbolize".

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2017, 03:51:59 PM »

It was a while ago but as I recall this is exactly the kind of issue one would contemplate under the influence of some decent mescaline.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2017, 03:54:28 PM »
If i concede that the entire album is not about drugs, will you do yourself a major favor and not play it again? 

Too late. We played it last night after tuning in, turning on and dropping out under the blacklight posters.  8-)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 03:55:59 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2017, 04:06:01 PM »
Too late. We played it last night after tuning in, turning on and dropping out under the blacklight posters.  8-)

Sounds how I spent  1965-1970.

This was the poster i dropped out under:

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2017, 04:13:58 PM »
Think it was during that time that i decided that "Journey to the Center of My mind" was about drugs. But then during that time I thought all songs were about drugs. And looking back, I was probably right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoetGnTIjWY