Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Purdue @ Marquette November 14  (Read 23300 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Purdue @ Marquette November 14
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2017, 01:56:40 PM »
Every year, someone is complaining about the OOC. I'll agree I',m surprised that there are as many complaints about toughness as there are but, well..... what would the off-season be if we could not complain about scheduling and recruiting.

Here's a simple rule: If we live up to our potential. If we play smart and with poise. If we play as a team and with the intensity we know we can, then we'll be fine.

We have depth this year. We also have some braun which we really didn't have last year. I'm also a believer that Mr. Cheatham will be a motivated force in 2017-2018 and our weapons will be everywhere.

Look out world. We're arrogant and obnoxious and we're back!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2017, 02:35:14 PM »
^^^ tell me more about this depth you speak of...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2017, 02:54:15 PM »
I sure would like to get back to the days where every season doesn't start with "if this" or "if that". Let's get back to the days where you know they are in the tourney before the season starts(barring something disastrous), they are just playing for seeding. It wasn't that long ago when we as MU fans had that luxury.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2017, 03:00:53 PM »
I sure would like to get back to the days where every season doesn't start with "if this" or "if that". Let's get back to the days where you know they are in the tourney before the season starts(barring something disastrous), they are just playing for seeding. It wasn't that long ago when we as MU fans had that luxury.

I don't know that we ever consistently had that leisure. There were some years during the Buzz era where it definitely wasn't a guarantee at the beginning of the season.

It's still early, but I'm feeling very good about the 18-19 season at this point.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2017, 03:12:10 PM »

The last time it felt like a guarantee was 2013-14. Oops.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2017, 03:14:55 PM »
Don't know that 13-14 was a "guarantee" going in as we knew the backcourt would be a problem with Vander's departure.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2017, 03:37:29 PM »
Not that the AP poll is any "guarantee" of anything either, but since we joined the BE we've only had one season where we went wire-to-wire being ranked -- 2011-2012.

Came close in both 06-07 and 07-08 (missed one week in each season).

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2017, 03:40:28 PM »
"The good ole days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems."

(Sorry for quoting Billy Joel.)

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2017, 04:37:34 PM »
"The good ole days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems."

(Sorry for quoting Billy Joel.)

You may be right.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2017, 04:43:28 PM »

But for that one oops, how many years did we have prior to that where the "guarantee" was actually something of value?  To me, it sure felt like that as early as '06-07 (at least once Dominic withdrew from the draft - or decided not to declare, I forget which). 

Sure, there were a few shaky years of Team Bubble Watch mixed in there where there were more questions than answers the first week of March, but when the season started, perhaps it wasn't a guarantee so much as it was comfort or confidence or the mere sentiment that - stupid metaphor warning - the only way MU was missing the dance was by playing itself out of contention - despite what Chicos and his 5-year plan had to say.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2017, 04:50:17 PM »
But for that one oops, how many years did we have prior to that where the "guarantee" was actually something of value?  To me, it sure felt like that as early as '06-07 (at least once Dominic withdrew from the draft - or decided not to declare, I forget which). 

Sure, there were a few shaky years of Team Bubble Watch mixed in there where there were more questions than answers the first week of March, but when the season started, perhaps it wasn't a guarantee so much as it was comfort or confidence or the mere sentiment that - stupid metaphor warning - the only way MU was missing the dance was by playing itself out of contention - despite what Chicos and his 5-year plan had to say.

Exactly Benny, and I know many here want to say they were "team bubble watch" Under Buzz. Maybe in some people's opinions they were a few years, but I never really felt like they weren't getting in at the beginning of a season under Buzz. Now, they may have made it a little dicey a few times, but again, I never really fdelt like they were in jeopardy of missing. You could just sense(at least i could), that they would right the ship and get in anyway...and that's exactly what they did. Of course '13-'14 was an unmitigated disaster.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2017, 04:54:46 PM »
I don't know that we ever consistently had that leisure. There were some years during the Buzz era where it definitely wasn't a guarantee at the beginning of the season.

It's still early, but I'm feeling very good about the 18-19 season at this point.

Sure '18-'19..but it would have been nice to have that feeling last year, and sure as hell would be nice to have that feeling this year as well...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2017, 05:01:48 PM »
I have that feeling.  I expect MU to be in the tourney.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2017, 05:28:32 PM »
After 2 misses, 05-06 seemed like a long shot to start. A lot rested on freshmen, and no one expected that strong of a Big East start.

Felt pretty locked in until 09-10, when I don't think anyone felt very confident until February after our 11-8 (2-5) start.

10-11 was another question with no significant non-con wins and never more than 2 games over .500 in conference play en route to 9-9.

I felt confident every year until 14-15. Granted, we knew Vander left in 13-14, but anyone that didn't firmly expect a tourney bid is a liar. We were ranked to start the season and consensus favorites in the league even without Blue.

I want to get back there, but like last year, I'm hoping for but not expecting a bid in the upcoming season. I felt far more confident in each of Buzz's last three years.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2017, 05:35:53 PM »
I have that feeling.  I expect MU to be in the tourney.

Yeah, I'm on this side of the fence too.  Seems like muguru is not.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

muguru

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »
Yeah, I'm on this side of the fence too.  Seems like muguru is not.

I just don't see enough experience..and I'm not sold Haniff will be any better than he was last year, and honestly, his development, MIGHT be the key. I'm also not as sold(yet) on this Freshman class as some are...I see a bunch of "guys" but no one like a Markus, or a go to guy. IF they do get in, it won't be by much...again. Like i said abive, I'd like to get back to the not sweating selection Sundays...for a really long time.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2017, 06:23:29 PM »
Any y'all have a peaceful, easy feelin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2017, 06:37:32 PM »
I just don't see enough experience..and I'm not sold Haniff will be any better than he was last year, and honestly, his development, MIGHT be the key. I'm also not as sold(yet) on this Freshman class as some are...I see a bunch of "guys" but no one like a Markus, or a go to guy. IF they do get in, it won't be by much...again. Like i said abive, I'd like to get back to the not sweating selection Sundays...for a really long time.

Breathe.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:40:26 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

tower912

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2017, 07:18:07 PM »
I see two lead guards with experience and ridiculous range.  I see a junior to be who had a great freshman year and will want to bounce back from a sophomore slump.  I see a miniature Steve Nova at the 3.  I see a lot of size and versatility that will sort itself out up front.     
    Sure, it is possible that the young guys develop slower than we would hope.  Injuries are always concerns.  And transfers.  But I choose to be optimistic. 
In the words of the rasta....
...don't worry..... about a ting.....every little thing..... gonna be all right
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2017, 07:20:53 PM »

Well, its seems easier for me because I’m not that versed in detailed stats, and rankings beyond the top 30.

In my simple terms, I start with trusting Wojo’s evaluation of talent.  That leads me to believe this years Big’s will contribute more than last years Bigs.  I think they will benefit immensely playing with and against Ed Morrow in practice and maybe finding out the hard work of crashing boards, Especially the freshmen Bigs.

Our core 3pt shooters are returning and maybe will finding a few more driving lanes with the help of this years Bigs.

I expect Cheatham, Sacar and Elliott to provide more 2 point scoring then we had last year.  After reading Big Daddy’s post about the coaching staff giving Greg a lot of opportunity by not recruiting his position as soon as he committed.   Really excited  to see him on the court.

Anyways, not scientific, but an accumulations of my observations s as of today

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2017, 10:50:25 PM »
I see two lead guards with experience and ridiculous range.  I see a junior to be who had a great freshman year and will want to bounce back from a sophomore slump.  I see a miniature Steve Nova at the 3.  I see a lot of size and versatility that will sort itself out up front.     
    Sure, it is possible that the young guys develop slower than we would hope.  Injuries are always concerns.  And transfers.  But I choose to be optimistic. 
In the words of the rasta....
...don't worry..... about a ting.....every little thing..... gonna be all right

That's every little ting...

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2017, 11:14:13 PM »
Where will the defense improve? Our two best offensive players are short.  Nothing wrong with that, but makes switches difficult on defense when you have the two of them playing together. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2017, 07:17:39 AM »
Where will the defense improve? Our two best offensive players are short.  Nothing wrong with that, but makes switches difficult on defense when you have the two of them playing together.

Our defense will improve in the post. First, we'll have fouls to give that simply weren't available last year.  Second, and not to dump on the departed, but our pick/roll defense will get better by definition.

One other thing.  Doesn't Hanni earn his minutes as a 'shut down'?  Of course he has to work on his right hand and his mid-range on offense but doesn't he demand playing time by shutting down the Bluiett's of the world?  I sincerely hope (and expect) that he's working his arse off this summer.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2017, 07:45:56 AM »
Given your track record on this board I highly doubt you've ever seen Harry Froling practice.  I'm optimistic because a (self-admittedly) overweight, freshman Froling averaged 15 minutes a game on a team that went on to become a 6 seed in the NCAA Tourney.  And when he committed I immediately went to SMU boards to gauge their reactions and wouldn't you know it, most were very disappointed he was leaving.  I saw little to no "addition by subtraction" you're referring to.
MUFINY's posts aren't meant to be statements of fact.  Once you understand that they bits of whimsy, pulled out of his rectum and presented as merely facsimiles of fact, performance art if you will, you'll appreciate his artistry more.  If you insist on viewing them as actual fact rather than fanciful fan art you'll only get frustrated.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2017, 08:04:15 AM »

Certainly Defense is always a concern, but something I noticed on another Board when they were ranking their all time best players at different position.  Almost all were very high offensive calling card players.  It was striking to me that almost all Fans Talk defense but Few Vote defense. Just an observation and trying to figure out what that means in the climate of defense debate on the Boards I visited.  Seems like when push comes to shove offense wins as far as Fans are concerned. You may want to test it on yourself.

feedback