Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Graduate Transfer Options?  (Read 20617 times)

OldWarrior

• Walk-On
Graduate Transfer Options?
« on: May 18, 2017, 10:37:05 AM »
Have there been any rumors of Marquette interest in a graduate transfer?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Graduate Transfer Options?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 10:49:22 AM »
Not many out there at this point. I think we're going to battle with what we have unless something pops up.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 11:05:39 AM »
Honestly, I think this team is probably at the point where the value of a grad transfer is into the diminishing returns.  Unless you get a superstar, the only meaningful result is that he takes away minutes that might be better served in game experience for younger players.

It's great as a stop-gap to plug a hole in the team or with a very young team in need of leadership, but I don't see either being the case with MU's roster at this juncture.  You've already got a floor general and senior leadership.  You've got experience coming back at every position except the 4, which wasn't really a focal point of the lineup any way... not to mention, you have a couple freshmen PF's coming in who might be able to earn material minutes in their freshman campaign.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 01:44:46 PM »
Honestly, I think this team is probably at the point where the value of a grad transfer is into the diminishing returns.  Unless you get a superstar, the only meaningful result is that he takes away minutes that might be better served in game experience for younger players.

It's great as a stop-gap to plug a hole in the team or with a very young team in need of leadership, but I don't see either being the case with MU's roster at this juncture.  You've already got a floor general and senior leadership.  You've got experience coming back at every position except the 4, which wasn't really a focal point of the lineup any way... not to mention, you have a couple freshmen PF's coming in who might be able to earn material minutes in their freshman campaign.

At this point, I agree.  I hate banking scholarships, but it is probably the right thing to do at this point.  Not much in the way of impact grad transfers out there, and the ones that haven't committed yet have been courted for weeks and weeks.  Its always possible Wojo and Co have been in contact, but I think that ship has sailed, and I am cool with that. 

Excited to see what John and Eke can bring at the 4.  Really wish Froling was eligible right away.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 03:37:59 PM »
At this point, I agree.  I hate banking scholarships, but it is probably the right thing to do at this point.  Not much in the way of impact grad transfers out there, and the ones that haven't committed yet have been courted for weeks and weeks.  Its always possible Wojo and Co have been in contact, but I think that ship has sailed, and I am cool with that. 

Excited to see what John and Eke can bring at the 4.  Really wish Froling was eligible right away.

The highlighted part ... long argued here that banking a scholarship represents failure.  Never know who regresses and who gets injured.  So, if a "serviceable" name pops up, you take it.

Not saying there is a name available, but leaving a seat empty never improves a team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 03:38:46 PM »
The highlighted part ... long argued here that banking a scholarship represents failure.  Never know who regresses and who gets injured.  So, if a "serviceable" name pops up, you take it.

Not saying there is a name available, but leave a seat empty never improves a team.

It does if a midyear transfer becomes available.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »

Not saying there is a name available, but leaving a seat empty never improves a team.

Represents failure?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 03:40:04 PM »

It does if a midyear transfer becomes available.

True ... and if that is a conscious strategy, that's fine too.

Luke and Frolling came via that option.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 03:44:58 PM »
Duke failed all the way to the National Title just a few years ago.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 03:45:36 PM »
Yes, you are allowed 13 scholarship players.  Teams fight tooth and nail not to have this number reduced when the NCAA hands out sanctions.

So why would you voluntarily limit yourself to less than 13?  It makes the team worse.

Not really.  Filling the 13th scholarship with someone who is likely not going to make an impact isn't helpful.  And it fact it could be harmful if it messes with team dynamics.  It is hardly failure not to fill up your scholarship allotment. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 03:46:46 PM »
Yes, you are allowed 13 scholarship players.  Teams fight tooth and nail not to have this number reduced when the NCAA hands out sanctions.

So why would you voluntarily limit yourself to less than 13?  It makes the team worse.

Fight tooth and nail not to have them reduced by NCAA sanctions? They have a say in what sanctions they receive?

Having less than 13 scholarship players automatically makes your team worse? That's news to me. Imagine what the Duke team would've done with a full roster the year they won the national championship over Wisconsin. I think they had 8 scholarship players at the end of the year. Is that the greatest feat in the history of sports then, given with each scholarship going unused they made themselves worse?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 04:19:43 PM »

Not really.  Filling the 13th scholarship with someone who is likely not going to make an impact isn't helpful.  And it fact it could be harmful if it messes with team dynamics.  It is hardly failure not to fill up your scholarship allotment.

The highlighted is not restricted to just grad transfers.  This is true of freshman, regular transfers and mid-season transfers too.

Now let me be more specific ... when people use the phrase "bank a scholarship" that sounds like actively giving up looking to fill that spot.  Sure you could not find someone that's fine, but to actively stop, because you have "enough talent" with 11 or 12 scholarship players, which is what bank means, represents failure.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 04:22:53 PM »
Fight tooth and nail not to have them reduced by NCAA sanctions? They have a say in what sanctions they receive?

Having less than 13 scholarship players automatically makes your team worse? That's news to me. Imagine what the Duke team would've done with a full roster the year they won the national championship over Wisconsin. I think they had 8 scholarship players at the end of the year. Is that the greatest feat in the history of sports then, given with each scholarship going unused they made themselves worse?

They also got lucky because 1 or 2 key injuries with no one behind them would have sunk their season.

They "got away with it" ... or are you seriously saying that once a team gets to about 8 scholarship players they can stop recruiting?

Lastly, is Pitino wrong for having a team of 13 scholarship players and as many as 5 walk-ons.  He won an NC too with about 18 players.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 04:30:16 PM »
The highlighted is not restricted to just grad transfers.  This is true of freshman, regular transfers and mid-season transfers too.

Now let me be more specific ... when people use the phrase "bank a scholarship" that sounds like actively giving up looking to fill that spot.  Sure you could not find someone that's fine, but to actively stop, because you have "enough talent" with 11 or 12 scholarship players, which is what bank means, represents failure.

That's not what people mean. Managing scholarships is something every coach deals with in 1 form or another. Takng another Freshmen just  to fill up the roster is silly and shortsighted.......a coach has to decide what is in the best interest of his team......both long and short term.

This isn't fantasy basketball......build a culture and recruit to it......if that means 13 players fine.....if it means 11 or 12 that's ok too.....I'd rather bank a scholarship then have to run a player off the next year to.open 1 up.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 04:34:58 PM »

No. Grad transfers have the potential to disrupt team dynamics. They could take playing time away from another player who may transfer in response just as an example. They also take away the ability to recruit a mid-season transfer. I'm all for grabbing a grad transfer if they are going to make an impact on the team. But an empty seat can be more valuable than a player who is not going to play.

The only two grad transfers we were linked to this year were arguably the best on the market this season. Wojo seemed to only be interested in top tier wings as grad transfers. With 12 players on the roster, I am more than comfortable with that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 04:47:12 PM »
That's not what people mean. Managing scholarships is something every coach deals with in 1 form or another. Takng another Freshmen just  to fill up the roster is silly and shortsighted.......a coach has to decide what is in the best interest of his team......both long and short term.

This isn't fantasy basketball......build a culture and recruit to it......if that means 13 players fine.....if it means 11 or 12 that's ok too.....I'd rather bank a scholarship then have to run a player off the next year to.open 1 up.

Don't have to run off a grad transfer as they are 1 and done.  Yes taking a Freshman to fill spots is silly.  But we are talking about an unused spot available now only for next season.  Huge difference than grabbing random freshman.

They rest ... build a culture and recruit to it ... is part of the process of finding the right players that goes without saying for this discussion.

Sorry ... but "bank" means to give up and stop looking, don't return messages from potential grad transfers because you are out of that market ... period.  If it does not mean that, they why use that word?  Say "keep looking until you find that right person" (and no, this is not the same as "bank"). 

No. Grad transfers have the potential to disrupt team dynamics. They could take playing time away from another player who may transfer in response just as an example. They also take away the ability to recruit a mid-season transfer. I'm all for grabbing a grad transfer if they are going to make an impact on the team. But an empty seat can be more valuable than a player who is not going to play.

The only two grad transfers we were linked to this year were arguably the best on the market this season. Wojo seemed to only be interested in top tier wings as grad transfers. With 12 players on the roster, I am more than comfortable with that.

Again, this is true of every player no matter how they come to your team ... freshman, regular transfers, mid-season transfers, grad transfers or walk-ons.

To restate, which of these five ways listed in the previous sentence makes is acceptable to acquire a potentially disruptive player?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:49:27 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 05:14:15 PM »
Again, this is true of every player no matter how they come to your team ... freshman, regular transfers, mid-season transfers, grad transfers or walk-ons.

To restate, which of these five ways listed in the previous sentence makes is acceptable to acquire a potentially disruptive player?

Sorry I misread your last post. I'm not sure what your second sentence means. The point is that you shouldn't take a player just to take a player. It doesn't matter what way they are coming to your school. You only take a player if they are going to make your team better. Wojo's assessment seems to be that there are currently zero players on the 2017 market who are both good enough to make a positive impact and interested in coming to Marquette. So the plan, at the moment, seems to be to bank the scholarship. Trust me, if Mo Bamba announces tomorrow that he was just kidding about Texas and is interested in Marquette. Marquette will take the call.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 05:23:55 PM »
For the 100th time.....if Wojo thought there was a grad transfer that would help the team and wanted to come here he would take him......

You are creating an issue that doesn't exist.

Bank is just a term used when you don't fill a scholarship in a certain year......it doesn't mean you didn't attempt to fill it......it means you looked at the options available and either passed or missed out.

At this point in time Wojo isn't filling that spot.....if a new grad transfer becomes available then you look at him and decide if he is worth pursuing.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 05:57:58 PM »
The team is on it's way to being a top 10-15 program in the next 2 years and people are criticizing Wojo for an unused scholarship? Ok.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 06:06:31 PM »
Carrying an opening into the season also allows the possibility of taking on a mid-season transfer.

Although with the current roster construction and available scolarships, that doesn't seem very likely unless a few more spots open up on the team in December.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 06:58:42 PM »
Sorry ... but "bank" means to give up and stop looking, don't return messages from potential grad transfers because you are out of that market ... period.  If it does not mean that, they why use that word?  Say "keep looking until you find that right person" (and no, this is not the same as "bank"). 

Good lord.  Of all the inane discussions...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 07:52:44 PM »
They also got lucky because 1 or 2 key injuries with no one behind them would have sunk their season.

They "got away with it" ... or are you seriously saying that once a team gets to about 8 scholarship players they can stop recruiting?

Lastly, is Pitino wrong for having a team of 13 scholarship players and as many as 5 walk-ons.  He won an NC too with about 18 players.

Now you're shifting goalposts.  You said that having under 13 scholarship players "makes the team worse."  Either that's an entirely false statement or Duke winning a National Title with 8 scholarship players is the greatest feat in the history of sports.  Duke didn't "get away" with anything besides being the best basketball team in the country.  They weren't a worse team because they didn't have 5 extra bodies sitting on their bench.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 08:42:07 PM »
Why is this even being discussed from the very beginning Wojo said he was not going to give scholarships just to fill roster spots. So if the scholarship is banked is because there is no one Wojo believes is worthy of the scolarship.
Goal is National Championship

Phuket MU Fan

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 10:30:05 PM »

Good lord.  Of all the inane discussions...

+1000

feedback