[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Centennial Hoopla VS. Backyard BBQ  (Read 13206 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Centennial Hoopla VS. Backyard BBQ
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2017, 04:45:11 PM »
And it gets worse in the homecoming vs. reunion situation. I just received a copy of the schedule for Homecoming Weekend this year, and all of the class-specific parties (class of 87,class of 82, etc.) are on Friday night. While Marquette Madness is going on in the Al.

You gotta be kidding.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2017, 05:12:35 PM »
You gotta be kidding.

I wish I was, my friend.  I can't find any place online that shows both events on the same page, but the brochure I was given shows they are both on the evening of October 6.  Madness starts at 7, and the class reunion events are typically starting around 7:30.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:53:29 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2017, 06:05:45 PM »
Any chance going to madness is part of the party?  That seems like a huge miscommunication or a terrible idea.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 06:44:01 PM »
I wish I was, my friend.  I can't find any place online that shows both events on the same page, but the brochure I was given shows they are both on the evening of October 7.  Madness starts at 7, and the class reunion events are typically starting around 7:30.

Well, they have a year to get it right.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 07:33:49 PM »
Any chance going to madness is part of the party?  That seems like a huge miscommunication or a terrible idea.

The parties are at various places across Milwaukee, so no.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2017, 12:20:06 AM »
I wish I was, my friend.  I can't find any place online that shows both events on the same page, but the brochure I was given shows they are both on the evening of October 7.  Madness starts at 7, and the class reunion events are typically starting around 7:30.

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2017, 07:13:37 AM »
I don't see the big deal. Madness is usually pretty full with students. There's room for some alumni and families, but I wouldn't say enough to have it a part of alumni weekend. Is the outdoor block party before Madness on the schedule of events?

I think the amount of alumni that think it's a big deal is pretty small outside of this board.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »
I don't see the big deal. Madness is usually pretty full with students. There's room for some alumni and families, but I wouldn't say enough to have it a part of alumni weekend. Is the outdoor block party before Madness on the schedule of events?

I think the amount of alumni that think it's a big deal is pretty small outside of this board.

Why should alums have to choose? Even if it was on the same weekend, wouldn't it be better to give them the chance to attend both, and as a result, get more of them excited for the basketball season?

Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2017, 08:51:20 AM »

All of the important alum are on this board

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »

If this is the case then MU should have kept Alumni Weekend in July.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 09:39:33 AM »
All of the important alum are on this board

Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2017, 10:47:58 AM »
I've felt the same way about Lalumiere. 4 semesters of Spanish.... >:(

big dittos to this

what about autioning off the room number plates from Mc -i'll take room # 910-big $$ right here-lotts of memories/chit happened behind that door ;) ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2017, 10:53:17 AM »
big dittos to this

what about autioning off the room number plates from Mc -i'll take room # 910-big $$ right here-lotts of memories/chit happened behind that door ;) ;D

I'll take 1012 if they are giving it away.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »
Why should alums have to choose? Even if it was on the same weekend, wouldn't it be better to give them the chance to attend both, and as a result, get more of them excited for the basketball season?

Yes. 

If this doesn't change I'll never make a reunion ever again. 
Despite it being Columbus Day weekend, I won't be able to come with kids or wife who teaches.  There after no vacation days during the school year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2017, 03:11:59 PM »
And it gets worse in the homecoming vs. reunion situation. I just received a copy of the schedule for Homecoming Weekend this year, and all of the class-specific parties (class of 87,class of 82, etc.) are on Friday night. While Marquette Madness is going on in the Al.

Not sure how long Madness will go, but... most of the parties are from 7:30 - 11:30pm... Madness starts at 7... could hit Madness, then still have plenty of time to hit the bar if desired...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »
Not sure how long Madness will go, but... most of the parties are from 7:30 - 11:30pm... Madness starts at 7... could hit Madness, then still have plenty of time to hit the bar if desired...

Yeah I think people are getting a little picky here.  So Marquette shouldn't have scheduled anything else during Madness?  Even though there is limited seating available?

And while I do understand what MU Fan in CT is saying, I understand why Marquette went to the fall schedule.  The summer reunions were nice, but there was nothing really happening on campus.  No students.  No sporting events.  At least in the fall there is some life.  I mean, they should try it and if it doesn't work, feel free to switch back.

That said, I do wonder about having an outdoor concert on October 8.  That seems risky.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »

I just assume Madness is a student event, especially in the administration's mind. I could see them not wanting to risk turning away students.

I also think 85% of alumni won't know it's going on or care.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2017, 06:43:57 PM »
I just assume Madness is a student event, especially in the administration's mind. I could see them not wanting to risk turning away students.

I also think 85% of alumni won't know it's going on or care.

Except the Block Party goes till 7PM across from The Al that is built around Madness.  Students, parents and alums all in one weekend. Worth a try.

Alumni Summer Weekend seemed to decline in recent years as Marquette's effort waned.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »
Class of '83 always shows up.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2017, 07:39:14 PM »
Class of '83 always shows up.

Your Official Reunion Committee has sumpin' in the works bro.  8-)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2017, 04:49:55 AM »
Your Official Reunion Committee has sumpin' in the works bro.  8-)

If it's you and Copper, we are in good hands.  Let me know if you could use another helper. 

CKCS

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2017, 07:24:26 PM »
That's been the argument.  Truth be told, I understand that this was originally VanDerhoef's brainchild but that Mike totally jumped onboard.  The rest of the troops then fell in line to protect their phony baloney jobs.  Even though I am very close to numerous high level Advancement type folks, no one is willing to walk off the reservation even privately.  When it crashes and burns in 2-3 years we'll see what's next.  But do understand that it's permanent until then.

Homecoming was not VanDerhoef's brainchild...it was someone else's idea.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2017, 07:34:20 PM »

Hearing he got Lovelled, ai-na?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2017, 08:36:12 PM »

Since you apparently created an account just to post this, how about telling us why you would know this information?  Just asking.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2017, 09:48:49 PM »
Just like the complaining about losing the free Backyard BBQ event turned out to be a waste of time, my guess is so too will the complaining about the change of homecoming weekend.  Before we complain, maybe we should wait it out to see if there's something worth complaining about.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback