[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe  (Read 71250 times)

Benny B

• All American
Marvel Cinematic Universe
« on: May 11, 2017, 02:36:46 PM »
Two questions:

1) Has Hollywood ever successfully remade a movie whose original version was a widely-panned mega-flop?   i.e. is there any chance that Howard the Duck might get a reboot in Phase 4?

2) Have the Guardians usurped the role as center of the MCU?

Fun facts:
-Howard the Duck was the first Marvel feature film (and it's the first topic of discussion in this thread... apropos).
-It was Howard the Duck's failure that led to the rise of Pixar as we know it today (George Lucas needed money after Howard bombed, so he sold the computer-animation division of Lucasfilm (Pixar) to Steve Jobs in 1986).
-Besides Guardians, the latest movie to have alluded to Howard the Duck was a Pixar film (In Planes: Fire & Rescue, a secret video tape was hidden in a VHS-sized box for "Howard the Truck," presumably because no one would ever look for it there.)

You have to admit, a Howard remake would be an interesting spin on historical events now that Pixar, Marvel and George Lucas' soul are all owned by the same company.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 02:50:42 PM »
Please, God, no.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 03:45:28 PM »
Two questions:

1) Has Hollywood ever successfully remade a movie whose original version was a widely-panned mega-flop?   i.e. is there any chance that Howard the Duck might get a reboot in Phase 4?

Fun facts:
-Howard the Duck was the first Marvel feature film (and it's the first topic of discussion in this thread... apropos).
-It was Howard the Duck's failure that led to the rise of Pixar as we know it today (George Lucas needed money after Howard bombed, so he sold the computer-animation division of Lucasfilm (Pixar) to Steve Jobs in 1986).
-Besides Guardians, the latest movie to have alluded to Howard the Duck was a Pixar film (In Planes: Fire & Rescue, a secret video tape was hidden in a VHS-sized box for "Howard the Truck," presumably because no one would ever look for it there.)

You have to admit, a Howard remake would be an interesting spin on historical events now that Pixar, Marvel and George Lucas' soul are all owned by the same company.

It certainly seems to be that they are gunning for that. I think the wide range of likable characters in the movie (as seen by the massive commercial push of Baby Groot) has put them straight in the driver's seat. I enjoyed the second movie but it really felt like it was appealing to every possible demographic in a cartoonish way that they could even outside of the normal marvel fan range. Suicide squad's ill fated attempt to copy the original film suggests they know they have the winning formula.

Outstanding sound tracks too!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »
Two questions:

Fun facts:

First of all, I forgot that Howard the Duck was yet another GL abomination. God bless Star Wars, but other than A New Hope, Lucas has been a complete disaster when left to his own devices (Empire was Kirschner, original Indiana Jones was Spielberg, etc)

As far as mega-flop, does rebooting Land of the Lost count?

Guardians as MCU center, I dunno. I actually think Deadpool might take that title at somepoint, simply because once Infinity Wars happens I don't know how you can spin Guardians and Avengers back out. They are going to have to kill characters(ie actors) in Infinity Wars so they can bring the characters back with new actors (Winter Soldier or Falcon as Captain America, War Machine as Iron Man, etc) so Avengers as the center is out. I don't know how Guardians holds the center as anything other then a fun, quirky crew movie. Deadpool unifies all the Marvel properties (X-Men, Spider-man, Avengers, etc) at least within the current movies and Disney desperately wants to bring X-Men and Spider-man back into the fold.

Lastly, I would get zero pleasure from having Howard the Duck on any digital screen ever again.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 03:52:45 PM »
It certainly seems to be that they are gunning for that. I think the wide range of likable characters in the movie (as seen by the massive commercial push of Baby Groot) has put them straight in the driver's seat. I enjoyed the second movie but it really felt like it was appealing to every possible demographic in a cartoonish way that they could even outside of the normal marvel fan range. Suicide squad's ill fated attempt to copy the original film suggests they know they have the winning formula.

Outstanding sound tracks too!

It goes to show you, when you have talent (actors, directors, and writers) and let them do their thing, people will watch. I'm hopeful all of this represents an age where Hollywood stops micro-managing the crap out of stuff.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 03:54:52 PM »
Comic book movie remake I'd love to see is The Rocketeer. I loved that movie (peak Jennifer Connolly) but I think it would be a very interesting remake.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 04:17:15 PM »
Two questions:

1) Has Hollywood ever successfully remade a movie whose original version was a widely-panned mega-flop? 

Doctor Doolittle was a big money and critical loser in 1967.  The late 90s remake made pretty good cash and was somewhat favorably reviewed.

Not sure this counts, but the 70s version of Great Gatsby was a flop while the 2013 version was very much a success.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 05:31:00 PM »
First of all, I forgot that Howard the Duck was yet another GL abomination. God bless Star Wars, but other than A New Hope, Lucas has been a complete disaster when left to his own devices (Empire was Kirschner, original Indiana Jones was Spielberg, etc)

As far as mega-flop, does rebooting Land of the Lost count?

Guardians as MCU center, I dunno. I actually think Deadpool might take that title at somepoint, simply because once Infinity Wars happens I don't know how you can spin Guardians and Avengers back out. They are going to have to kill characters(ie actors) in Infinity Wars so they can bring the characters back with new actors (Winter Soldier or Falcon as Captain America, War Machine as Iron Man, etc) so Avengers as the center is out. I don't know how Guardians holds the center as anything other then a fun, quirky crew movie. Deadpool unifies all the Marvel properties (X-Men, Spider-man, Avengers, etc) at least within the current movies and Disney desperately wants to bring X-Men and Spider-man back into the fold.

Lastly, I would get zero pleasure from having Howard the Duck on any digital screen ever again.

Like all of the properties originating from the X-Men franchise, Deadpool is owned by Fox, and therefore technically not part of the MCU. 

Yet, any way.

Spiderman's rights are controlled by Sony, but they reached a deal with Marvel Studios to bring him back into the fold with the Avengers.  Ego is actually an X-Men property, but he's now MCU because Marvel cut a deal with Fox who got Negasonic Teenage Warhead in return.  BTW - James Gunn didn't realize Marvel didn't have control of Ego until after the script to Vol. 2 was finished... luckily, it was about that time that Fox approached Marvel asking about NTW (Fox's rights to the X-Men properties was only for existing characters; because the NTW character in Deadpool is materially different from the NTW character in the comics, Fox needed Marvel's permission).

Confused yet?

So since Deadpool is not MCU, Howard may very well be the MCU character who is most directly connected (in the comics) to all of the other current MCU characters.

If you completely ignore 1986 for a moment, how could Howard not have potential today with Gunn or Russo/Markus leading the charge?  Gunn himself is a big fan of Howard in the comics (hence his appearances in GotG) but hated the movie... here's a chance to right a wrong.  Hell, team Howard up with Kraglin and spin them off into a new franchise.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 12:40:04 PM »
Howard the Duck is part of Marvel? 

Wow.  Who knew?

Idk about incorporating him into the current stream of Marvel movies, but I would pay to see Howard the Duck fight Darkwing Duck a la Batman vs Superman.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 01:14:38 PM »
I'm still waiting for the movie adaptation of Great Lakes Avengers, the only superheroes who are based out of Milwaukee.

Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 01:24:45 PM »
Like all of the properties originating from the X-Men franchise, Deadpool is owned by Fox, and therefore technically not part of the MCU. 

Yet, any way.

Spiderman's rights are controlled by Sony, but they reached a deal with Marvel Studios to bring him back into the fold with the Avengers.  Ego is actually an X-Men property, but he's now MCU because Marvel cut a deal with Fox who got Negasonic Teenage Warhead in return.  BTW - James Gunn didn't realize Marvel didn't have control of Ego until after the script to Vol. 2 was finished... luckily, it was about that time that Fox approached Marvel asking about NTW (Fox's rights to the X-Men properties was only for existing characters; because the NTW character in Deadpool is materially different from the NTW character in the comics, Fox needed Marvel's permission).

Confused yet?

So since Deadpool is not MCU, Howard may very well be the MCU character who is most directly connected (in the comics) to all of the other current MCU characters.

If you completely ignore 1986 for a moment, how could Howard not have potential today with Gunn or Russo/Markus leading the charge?  Gunn himself is a big fan of Howard in the comics (hence his appearances in GotG) but hated the movie... here's a chance to right a wrong.  Hell, team Howard up with Kraglin and spin them off into a new franchise.

Completely forgot that Deadpool is Fox, at some point Marvel has got to find a way to bring all these properties back in house.

Side note, while I've always been a Marvel guy over DC, Batman was always my favorite superhero....until the DC cinematic universe has gone and cocked this all up. I am so far out on DC I haven't seen a single DC property since DKR. Man is there a grad school case study somewhere in there.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 01:46:36 PM »
I would rather see a reboot of BJ and the Bear than Howard the Duck. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 02:34:53 PM »
Two questions:

Punisher 1989 (28% on Rotten Tomatoes)
Rebooted in 2004 (29% on RT) 
Inspired a 2008 sequal/reboot  Punisher: War Zone (27% RT)
Which has now been rebooted into the MCU on the Netflix series Dare Devil, and is getting its own spin off.

so they may not have "successfully" made a sequel, but they sure have tried.

Speaking of Punisher, Thomas Jade's will always be my favorite, and the spiritual successor he made was superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 03:19:01 PM »
Punisher 1989 (28% on Rotten Tomatoes)
Rebooted in 2004 (29% on RT) 
Inspired a 2008 sequal/reboot  Punisher: War Zone (27% RT)
Which has now been rebooted into the MCU on the Netflix series Dare Devil, and is getting its own spin off.

so they may not have "successfully" made a sequel, but they sure have tried.

Speaking of Punisher, Thomas Jade's will always be my favorite, and the spiritual successor he made was superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

I actually really loved the Netflix interpretation of Punisher
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 02:41:33 AM »
I actually really loved the Netflix interpretation of Punisher

Bernthal played it perfectly. While that show tends to drag a bit, their casting is impeccable.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 08:22:01 AM »
I finally saw Guardians 2 over the weekend.
Excellent!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 11:27:15 AM »
Completely forgot that Deadpool is Fox, at some point Marvel has got to find a way to bring all these properties back in house.

Something that I would think Kevin Feige struggles with every day.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 11:28:57 AM »
Something that I would think Kevin Feige struggles with every day.

while swimming in his Scrooge McDuck money vault

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 01:05:12 PM »
I don't think there will be a Howard movie, nor should there be. He's ideal for the odd cameo, but can't carry a franchise.

As far as GotG being the center of the MCU...well they certainly are the heart of it. I could see them spinning a Cosmic storyline after Infinity War, bring in Nova, Adam Warlock, Beta Ray Bill, but the problem is you really NEED the Fantastic Four. Say what you will about Marvel's first family, but they have the best supporting cast (Silver Surfer) and villains (Skrulls, Galactus, Annihilus).

If they can retain a link to the Spider-Man properties (which seems questionable) for characters like Venom and Norman Osborne and add the FF, it opens the MCU up more than the X-Men ever would.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

source?

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 07:54:40 PM »

Side note, while I've always been a Marvel guy over DC, Batman was always my favorite superhero....until the DC cinematic universe has gone and cocked this all up. I am so far out on DC I haven't seen a single DC property since DKR. Man is there a grad school case study somewhere in there.

DC has some solid tv series but I agree, I haven't watched film from them in years.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 10:23:25 AM »
I don't think there will be a Howard movie, nor should there be. He's ideal for the odd cameo, but can't carry a franchise.

As far as GotG being the center of the MCU...well they certainly are the heart of it. I could see them spinning a Cosmic storyline after Infinity War, bring in Nova, Adam Warlock, Beta Ray Bill, but the problem is you really NEED the Fantastic Four. Say what you will about Marvel's first family, but they have the best supporting cast (Silver Surfer) and villains (Skrulls, Galactus, Annihilus).

If they can retain a link to the Spider-Man properties (which seems questionable) for characters like Venom and Norman Osborne and add the FF, it opens the MCU up more than the X-Men ever would.

Fox made the mistake with Daredevil by allowing the film rights to revert to Marvel after 7 years of no exercise... rumor is that similar deals exist with the X-Men, FF and Spidey rights (though it may be less than seven years for X-Men).  So as long as we see a new X-Men movie every few years - which we probably will since they've been profitable - Fox will retain the rights.  However, Fox's latest iteration of FF in 2015 was a loser and the sequel - which was originally slated for release next Friday - was cancelled; along with the two sequels that were supposed to follow Silver Surfer, that now marks three FF movies that have been cancelled... and with Marvel having pulled the FF reboot from the comic stores, I think it's safe to say that we might have seen the last exercise of Fox's FF rights, meaning FF may be back into the MCU fold sometime around 2022... right around the time that MCU Phase 4 will be wrapping up.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 10:50:07 AM »
The new Superman was mediocre, but BvS with Batfleck was downright terrible. Bad acting, terrible script, and not at all accurate to the comics. More important than the lack of accuracy to the comics, though, was the lack of accuracy to the characters. Superman felt like a jerk, Batman wasn't a detective, he was just an action star with questionable morals.

Suicide Squad wasn't much better. The first half hour was basically a soundtrack advertisement (trying to be GOTG), the characters were flat (except for Rick Flagg), and it all felt predictably dull.

I'm hoping Wonder Woman is better, but I'm not optimistic. I think Marvel with Brie Larson has a much better chance than this DC venture. I know everyone said WW was the highlight of BvS, but honestly I think that's only because everything else was so bad in comparison.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 01:20:40 PM »
The new Superman was mediocre, but BvS with Batfleck was downright terrible. Bad acting, terrible script, and not at all accurate to the comics. More important than the lack of accuracy to the comics, though, was the lack of accuracy to the characters. Superman felt like a jerk, Batman wasn't a detective, he was just an action star with questionable morals.

Suicide Squad wasn't much better. The first half hour was basically a soundtrack advertisement (trying to be GOTG), the characters were flat (except for Rick Flagg), and it all felt predictably dull.

I'm hoping Wonder Woman is better, but I'm not optimistic. I think Marvel with Brie Larson has a much better chance than this DC venture. I know everyone said WW was the highlight of BvS, but honestly I think that's only because everything else was so bad in comparison.

I'm wondering (pardon the pun) how much of the positive reviews is because it's a good movie/faithful to the comics/tells a good story and how much is because it's woke (strong female leader, etc).

Comics have largely been socially progressive and aware but generally the cinematic universes have not and DC's has specifically not. So if a lot of the positive press is because WW is socially aware, that's fine, but I see no reason to believe it carry through to the rest of the universe.

Part of DC's probably is that MCU beat them to the entertaining as hell punch, now they have to find some other hook and they haven't figured that out yet and have shown no evidence they can.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 02:25:10 PM »
What's so interesting to me is that DC's tv universe is kicking the crap out of marvels yet can't seem to make a decent movie to save their lives
Maigh Eo for Sam

reinko

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 06:57:55 PM »
What's so interesting to me is that DC's tv universe is kicking the crap out of marvels yet can't seem to make a decent movie to save their lives

Hmmm...This is a curious statement, I would put the Netflix adaptations of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage up against Arrow and the Flash any day... The Iron Fist though on Netflix was gutter trash