[Today at 09:06:11 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Lennys Tap
[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Predict the 17-18 Depth Chart  (Read 5951 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Predict the 17-18 Depth Chart
« on: May 08, 2017, 09:40:11 AM »
It's the offseason!  We should be getting the Gavitt Games matchup this week (hopefully Minnesota).  In the mean time, post what you feel will be the opening depth chart for next year.  Note that Froling won't be immediately eligible, but you can list at the top if you feel that he will be an immediate starter once he's able to begin play.  I think our freshmen will start at the bottom, but still get minutes throughout the season.  I don't think any redshirt.

PG Markus/Rowsey/Elliott
G Rowsey/Cheatham/Cain
G/F Cheatham/Anim/Cain
F Hauser/Anim/John
C Heldt/Froling/Eke

GGGG

• All American
Re: Predict the 17-18 Depth Chart
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 09:50:40 AM »
I think Cain will end up with more play than Anim.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 09:53:34 AM »
I for some reason have a feeling we still have a transfer out-I hope I am wrong but something still has me feeling that way.

That being said I agree with distribution at the 1 and 2. I think Cheatham plays there more than we expect right now and I think Anim gets the Lion's share at 3. I have faith in Anim having a year to develop...I think he will be a big piece this year. Hauser at the 4 with John second-I expect Anim to get some run at the 2 over run at the 4 and then Froling over Heldt for the 5.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 10:52:30 AM »
Too many unknowns at the 4/5
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 11:04:55 AM »
I for some reason have a feeling we still have a transfer out-I hope I am wrong but something still has me feeling that way.

That being said I agree with distribution at the 1 and 2. I think Cheatham plays there more than we expect right now and I think Anim gets the Lion's share at 3. I have faith in Anim having a year to develop...I think he will be a big piece this year. Hauser at the 4 with John second-I expect Anim to get some run at the 2 over run at the 4 and then Froling over Heldt for the 5.

Agree, when Sacar took the redshirt it was with the idea of turning him into SG, not a PF.  I would expect him to get whatever minutes he is going to get at the 2/3 and not the 4.

With regard to transfers out, I think it will likely shake out similar to this past year in that the first semester will separate the men from the boys.  Whoever the last two off the bench are could very well decide they need to go elsewhere to get the minutes they want.  Eke seems likely to get the least minutes, but hopefully he would see the value in redshirting rather than transferring...but I think it is almost inevitable someone isn't happy and decides to find a new place to play, that's how it is today.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 11:18:54 AM »
FYI Rowsey will be bringing the ball up and against the press when both him and Howard are in as was evident this year.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 01:23:15 PM »
I thought Froling was going to play power forward, which would give us two tall players in the lineup. Froling at center backing up Heldt tells me we are not going to be very good. I was hoping Froling was better than Heldt.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 02:02:04 PM »
I thought Froling was going to play power forward, which would give us two tall players in the lineup. Froling at center backing up Heldt tells me we are not going to be very good. I was hoping Froling was better than Heldt.
Once Froling is eligible my understanding is he'll be at the 4/5 and will have more minutes than Heldt.
Goal is National Championship

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 04:34:02 PM »

So because one fan projects Heldt ahead of Froling we won't be very good?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 07:34:01 PM »
I don't think John plays much at 4, Froling does, and Hauser gets plenty of run as the 3. Other than that, I think you got it. Fun team if everyone is healthy.

It's been discussed,  but I hope Ike redshirts this year. Just not a lot of minutes available.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 07:39:51 PM »
So because one fan projects Heldt ahead of Froling we won't be very good?
We all have a vision of what this year's team will be. We lost four top 100 players and a lot of experience. We are adding Anim, Froling and four freshmen. The freshmen have a lot of potential, which means by the time they are juniors they could be very good players. I just do not know what to expect from them as freshmen.

Dnice

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 09:36:46 PM »
How about a one year grad transfer for 2017-18 for the one open spot.  An experienced grad transfer would be great especially with all of our youth. Is there a center grad transfer available?  If we could land an experienced one year grad transfer big man that would have the same affect of a Carlino or Reinhardt then we would be in really good shape.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 09:40:50 PM »
How about a one year grad transfer for 2017-18 for the one open spot.  An experienced grad transfer would be great especially with all of our youth. Is there a center grad transfer available?  If we could land an experienced one year grad transfer big man that would have the same affect of a Carlino or Reinhardt then we would be in really good shape.

Don't hold your breath. It appears the grad transfer ship has sailed this year. Wojo is good with the roster he has.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 10:55:35 PM »
We all have a vision of what this year's team will be. We lost four top 100 players and a lot of experience. We are adding Anim, Froling and four freshmen. The freshmen have a lot of potential, which means by the time they are juniors they could be very good players. I just do not know what to expect from them as freshmen.
My vision is as follows:
Sam, Markus and Rowsey are the core of the team. They will all play maximum minutes .

Matt Heldt will take the next step and move from being a 10-15 minute guy to a 20-25 minute guy.

I have great confidence that Sacar will  work hard on his game and be a major contributor.

I believe Sacar will be given an opportunity and he will seize on it and succeed.

I view Froling and Freshman pretty much in the same light. By the time Froling is eligible, the freshman will all have about the same college experience.  The coaching staff will work this group of players into the lineup as circumstances dictate. All will receive some meaningful minutes and I expect to see some outstanding performance from each that will point to their future potential.

As I have said in other threads. Ike is not a project, as some seem to think he is. I took the time to go see one of his high school  games and he is definitely what we have been looking for all of these years. A physical, rim protecting, rebounding Big Man who runs the floor well. He has the added bonus of a nice outside shot.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 06:11:35 AM »
It will be interesting to see what Haanif brings.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 08:12:18 AM »
Markus 28 mpg
Rowsey 22 mpg
Haanif 25 mpg
Sacar 12 mpg
Sam 27 mpg
Cain 15 mpg
Harry 25 mpg (once eligible)
Matt  27 mpg/17 mpg  (before/after Froling becomes eligible)
Theo  20/10 (before/after Froling)
Elliot 12 mpg
Ike Red-shirt

Before Froling is eligible, I think the starting line-up will be Markus, Haanif, Sam, Cain, Matt.     Theo backing up Matt at the 5 and playing a little 4.       Lots of switchability between the 2-3-4 prior to Harry becoming eligible.       I can picture Rowsey, Elliot, Sacar Sam and a 5.
After Harry is eligible, I think we will see Theo, Harry, Sam, Haanif and Markus as the starters.    Liberal substitutions.   Riding the hot hand, of course, but it will be rare that anybody consistently plays more than 30 mpg.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 08:46:18 AM »
Markus 28 mpg
Rowsey 22 mpg
Haanif 25 mpg
Sacar 12 mpg
Sam 27 mpg
Cain 15 mpg
Harry 25 mpg (once eligible)
Matt  27 mpg/17 mpg  (before/after Froling becomes eligible)
Theo  20/10 (before/after Froling)
Elliot 12 mpg
Ike Red-shirt

Before Froling is eligible, I think the starting line-up will be Markus, Haanif, Sam, Cain, Matt.     Theo backing up Matt at the 5 and playing a little 4.       Lots of switchability between the 2-3-4 prior to Harry becoming eligible.       I can picture Rowsey, Elliot, Sacar Sam and a 5.
After Harry is eligible, I think we will see Theo, Harry, Sam, Haanif and Markus as the starters.    Liberal substitutions.   Riding the hot hand, of course, but it will be rare that anybody consistently plays more than 30 mpg.

After having started for the last 1/3 of the season this year, I don't see any way we don't start Rowsey and Howard at the 1/2.  Those 2 and Same make up our 3 best players and it's a fairly decent drop to our 4th best player.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 10:59:23 AM »
After having started for the last 1/3 of the season this year, I don't see any way we don't start Rowsey and Howard at the 1/2.  Those 2 and Same make up our 3 best players and it's a fairly decent drop to our 4th best player.
+1 and if they are both hot from 3 watch out.
Goal is National Championship

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 11:02:46 AM »

I view Froling and Freshman pretty much in the same light. By the time Froling is eligible, the freshman will all have about the same college experience.  The coaching staff will work this group of players into the lineup as circumstances dictate. All will receive some meaningful minutes and I expect to see some outstanding performance from each that will point to their future potential.

I could be wrong, but I don't see any way that's true. I'm not as high on Froling as some others are, but the man has been through a half year of college hoops, and will have been in the MU program for a full season with all of the coaching and weight training that goes with it. Unless we're saying that we're just talking about practice, in which case carry on. But I think he'll be ready to rock.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »

I understand the argument.   I think Wojo is going to try to emphasize better defense next year and a balanced line up, without these two as the starting guards, will likely be better defensively.    But, after all, it is just a guess at this point. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 03:31:16 PM »
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Heldt stay in the starting lineup even after Froling becomes eligible, especially if the team is doing well, but one thing Wojo has proven is that he is willing to play the more deserving player the max minutes, regardless of who starts.

In other words ...

Starting no matta!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2017, 11:02:38 AM »
I too believe that Markus, Rowsey and Sam are our 'max minutes' guys.  I also believe that the distribution of minutes with them via the other two positions is in part dependent on how that all works on the defensive end.  But the combination of those 3 on the offensive end already has opposing BEast coaches losing sleep.

For example, against a smaller team with an alpha guard that needs covering, Sam could play the #4 and perhaps Cheatham starts.  Against a Seton Hall type, perhaps he starts at #3 and we go with more beef up front.

Hopefully Wojo has more tools in the toolbox this year.  The fact that we had only two guys with any size last year made it pretty tough.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 01:55:47 AM »
FINALLY, A THREAD ACTUALLY TALKING OR TYPING ABOUT BASKETBALL!!!!!!!

Finally!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 07:51:05 AM »
Agree, when Sacar took the redshirt it was with the idea of turning him into SG, not a PF.  I would expect him to get whatever minutes he is going to get at the 2/3 and not the 4.

I would hope so.

6'4" PFs aren't in big demand.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 08:23:10 AM »
I would hope so.

6'4" PFs aren't in big demand.

Yeah just ask multimillionaire and former BE POY Jae Crowder.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter