collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Class of 2021 Deposits / Admissions  (Read 3481 times)

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
Class of 2021 Deposits / Admissions
« on: May 06, 2017, 07:49:37 AM »
So May 1st, came and went but I haven't heard any intel about deposits for next year's class under the new targeted recruiting strategy.  Does anyone on this board have any inside info on whether or not the incoming Freshman class size will be on target this Fall (historically around 2000 students)?  More importantly, were they able to get there without having to let in 75% of everyone who applied like they did last year?

As I've mentioned on this board many times before, I spend a lot of time evangelizing the value of a Marquette education to the northeast elitist snobs with high school upperclassmen kids in the NYC suburbs who I live among but that admissions stat makes it extraordinarily difficult to sell the place to parents.  Hopefully last year, being the first year of the new strategy, was an ephemeral blip and we can get the acceptance rate down to the 55-65% rate that's it's been historically, which frankly is nothing to brag about but still a huge improvement over last year and a figure I'm comfortable with since that's where it's always been. 

75% is too high and people think what the hell is wrong with the place that they have to let in that high a percentage of their applicants just to yield a decent class size.  If you look at the acceptance rates of Marquette's peer schools in USNR, those ranked from 70-100, most have acceptance rates that are at least 10% lower.   Anyone who doesn't think this matters is kidding themselves.  Curious if this is something that's been raised at the BOT level.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Class of 2021 Deposits / Admissions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 08:17:22 AM »
Literally only you and MU Fan in NY give a damn about admission rates. All this tells me is Marquette has a specific kind of student they target and advertise to and they don't play the rankings game by catering towards students they know they won't accept.

What's with the infatuation of snobby East Coasters as well? That's one of the last types of people I would want to see at MU.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 08:18:43 AM »
Oh boy. Another acceptance percentage post.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 08:21:41 AM »
Literally only you and MU Fan in NY give a damn about admission rates. All this tells me is Marquette has a specific kind of student they target and advertise to and they don't play the rankings game by catering towards students they know they won't accept.

What's with the infatuation of snobby East Coasters as well? That's one of the last types of people I would want to see at MU.

Well said, ChiTown.
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 08:27:32 AM »
So May 1st, came and went but I haven't heard any intel about deposits for next year's class under the new targeted recruiting strategy.  Does anyone on this board have any inside info on whether or not the incoming Freshman class size will be on target this Fall (historically around 2000 students)?  More importantly, were they able to get there without having to let in 75% of everyone who applied like they did last year?

As I've mentioned on this board many times before, I spend a lot of time evangelizing the value of a Marquette education to the northeast elitist snobs with high school upperclassmen kids in the NYC suburbs who I live among but that admissions stat makes it extraordinarily difficult to sell the place to parents.  Hopefully last year, being the first year of the new strategy, was an ephemeral blip and we can get the acceptance rate down to the 55-65% rate that's it's been historically, which frankly is nothing to brag about but still a huge improvement over last year and a figure I'm comfortable with since that's where it's always been. 

75% is too high and people think what the hell is wrong with the place that they have to let in that high a percentage of their applicants just to yield a decent class size.  If you look at the acceptance rates of Marquette's peer schools in USNR, those ranked from 70-100, most have acceptance rates that are at least 10% lower.   Anyone who doesn't think this matters is kidding themselves.  Curious if this is something that's been raised at the BOT level.

Google the world "yield" and what it means in the context of college admissions and why that statistic is more important than the acceptance rate. 

Then search this site for the discussion of the new $100 million dollar Freshman dorm that will replace McCormick.

That is your answer to what the BoT is doing about it.

And if you're still concerned, send MU a thousand dollar donation.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 08:54:18 AM »
Google the world "yield" and what it means in the context of college admissions and why that statistic is more important than the acceptance rate. 

Then search this site for the discussion of the new $100 million dollar Freshman dorm that will replace McCormick.

That is your answer to what the BoT is doing about it.

And if you're still concerned, send MU a thousand dollar donation.

Well stated.

This obsession with high denominator type recruiting is 20 years out of date.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 09:19:18 AM »

That's not a coincidence and reason is because we both live in a place where a lot of people look at that statistic and refuse to send their kids there because of it.   You're right.  Too many people here are snobs no doubt about it.   I think it's hard for people in the greater Chicago and southeastern Wisconsin areas to understand because their alma mater isn't routinely denigrated the way it is here.   If a lot of you had to endure that time and again you'd all be frustrated too, but thankfully people aren't anywhere near as superficial about these matters out there.  MU's previous leader, being from out here, recognized this and did his best to elevate the Marquette brand until they ran him out of there for reasons I'm not privy to, but have long suspected cultural differences between the Northeast and the Midwest played a large role in his ouster.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 09:21:07 AM by Disco Hippie »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 09:26:24 AM »
That's not a coincidence and reason is because we both live in a place where a lot of people look at that statistic and refuse to send their kids there because of it.   You're right.  Too many people here are snobs no doubt about it.   I think it's hard for people in the greater Chicago and southeastern Wisconsin areas to understand because their alma mater isn't routinely denigrated the way it is here.   If a lot of you had to endure that time and again you'd all be frustrated too, but thankfully people aren't anywhere near as superficial about these matters out there.  MU's previous leader, being from out here, recognized this and did his best to elevate the Marquette brand until they ran him out of there for reasons I'm not privy to, but have long suspected cultural differences between the Northeast and the Midwest played a large role in his ouster.

If someone doesn't want to matriculate to Marquette based on its acceptance rate, I would hope Admissions would tell them to GTFO and don't let the door hit them on the a$$.
Have some patience, FFS.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 10:15:56 AM »

Jeez. And millennials get mocked for needing safe spaces?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 11:57:53 AM »
Just tell them Marquette only recruits the best and brightest.  If their kid hasn't heard from Marquette, then they probably aren't Marquette material. Try a safety school like Creighton or Xavier. That might be more their kids speed.

This would be the reverse psychology method.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »
I happened to find this article while looking for something else:

https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2017/05/08/how-marquette-becoming-more-diverse

Marquette received 2,056 deposits for next year, surpassing what I know to be their traditional goal of 1,950.  What's more, 16 percent of the new students are Latino, easily beating their goal of 14 percent. They also enrolled almost 15% more black students than last year, and the average ACT score increased by a tenth of a point.

Yeah, our admissions process really sucks.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 03:29:51 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 04:21:08 PM »

Marquette Senior Management does not understand that they need to play the marketing game . The school itself is outstanding however the high acceptance rate makes it a very tough sell. I spend a lot of time making this very difficult sale. The parents and kids can get over the urban aspects but if they have an offer from a similar school with higher rating it's a very tall mountain to climb to get quality kids to come here.

When parents are spending Big Money and they want a perceived return on investment.

I saw the numbers on the diversity and that just tells me that we are lowering our standards even more. I am a minority myself and never had to rely on affirmative action or set asides . I hate that people look at blacks and assume we are not as qualified.

Let's raise the standards and send out a few more rejection letters. Grades should be 3.75 and test scores high 1300s/low 30s with a meaningful amount of AP

We should be top 50 US News with a little concentrated effort.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 04:30:54 PM »
Marquette Senior Management does not understand that they need to play the marketing game . The school itself is outstanding however the high acceptance rate makes it a very tough sell. I spend a lot of time making this very difficult sale. The parents and kids can get over the urban aspects but if they have an offer from a similar school with higher rating it's a very tall mountain to climb to get quality kids to come here.

When parents are spending Big Money and they want a perceived return on investment.

I saw the numbers on the diversity and that just tells me that we are lowering our standards even more. I am a minority myself and never had to rely on affirmative action or set asides . I hate that people look at blacks and assume we are not as qualified.

Let's raise the standards and send out a few more rejection letters. Grades should be 3.75 and test scores high 1300s/low 30s with a meaningful amount of AP

We should be top 50 US News with a little concentrated effort.

Looks to me that they are playing the marketing game just fine.  They surpassed their enrollment goals by over 100 students, while increasing diversity (which is a huge priority for MU) and maintaining their academic requirements. 

Your admissions requirements are crazy for a school like Marquette. You can't set cutoffs in a vacuum. They would have enrolled 1500 students this year, if  that many. 
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 04:59:16 PM »
NY, if you're expecting a median ACT in the low 30s MU will close for lack of matriculation. Moreover,  MU already struggles to lure those kids because the endowment always limits the merit based scholarships they can offer.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 05:05:14 PM »
Just so y'all know,  assuming the stats cited by chick are accurate,  that's 2 outstanding years back to back.  Neither of us have heard anything from our internal connections but I promise you there are high fives all around.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2017, 05:12:48 PM »
Just so y'all know,  assuming the stats cited by chick are accurate,  that's 2 outstanding years back to back.  Neither of us have heard anything from our internal connections but I promise you there are high fives all around.

Did you not read the article I linked?    >:(
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 05:14:58 PM »
Did you not read the article I linked?    >:(

Couldn't open on my phone.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 05:16:39 PM »
Yankee, in da realm of catholic schools, ders GU, ND, BC, and also rans aka middle of da road. Some here have misinterpreted dat as a dis. Couldn't bee farther from da intent. We wouldn't all qualify for those 3 schools and ders nothin' wrong wit dat. Ya can still bee a success and a valuble, contributin' member of society. But, it is watt it is, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 05:25:05 PM »
Yankee, ya don't post as honey badger too, do ya, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 05:34:38 PM »
Yankee, in da realm of catholic schools, ders GU, ND, BC, and also rans aka middle of da road. Some here have misinterpreted dat as a dis. Couldn't bee farther from da intent. We wouldn't all qualify for those 3 schools and ders nothin' wrong wit dat. Ya can still bee a success and a valuble, contributin' member of society. But, it is watt it is, ai na?

Every time 4never posts, our USNWR ranking drops 2 places.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:36:33 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 06:23:41 PM »

You win Scoop today.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 09:32:03 PM »

Nobody from da East Coazt is gonna send da offspring to a skool dat's 23,312 in da USNewz rankings, a'ina?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2017, 09:47:23 PM »
MU's previous leader, being from out here, recognized this and did his best to elevate the Marquette brand until they ran him out of there for reasons I'm not privy to, but have long suspected cultural differences between the Northeast and the Midwest played a large role in his ouster.

lol

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 08:29:25 AM »

I don't concern myself too much with admissions rates and the college fairs I do out here on the East Coast for Marquette, the students and parents never ask about admissions rates.  Usually SATs, school size, what does the university look at for admittance......
But man, you're statements - that's low. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 11:47:10 AM »
I happened to find this article while looking for something else:

https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2017/05/08/how-marquette-becoming-more-diverse

Marquette received 2,056 deposits for next year, surpassing what I know to be their traditional goal of 1,950.  What's more, 16 percent of the new students are Latino, easily beating their goal of 14 percent. They also enrolled almost 15% more black students than last year, and the average ACT score increased by a tenth of a point.

Yeah, our admissions process really sucks.

Great stuff, thanks for posting. All good trends