'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette Men's Basketball Centennial Hoopla  (Read 62123 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Marquette Men's Basketball Centennial Hoopla
« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2017, 08:51:01 AM »
KO had the best line of the night. When Wojo said he had been recruited by both Deane and KO, Kevin interrupted 'That was just a mass mailing!' Hilarious.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2017, 09:25:21 AM »
KO had the best line of the night. When Wojo said he had been recruited by both Deane and KO, Kevin interrupted 'That was just a mass mailing!' Hilarious.

Woj had a pretty quick comeback too. He lets that humor out every now and again, needs to let it fly more often.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2017, 09:39:04 AM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2017, 10:18:02 AM »
There were some good photos posted on Instagram.  Looked like an excellent event.  Too bad I don't live closer.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2017, 10:25:06 AM »
Mike Deane: "KO thinks 'mother' is half a word."
Wojo, on KO recruiting him:  "And then my mom said you're never playing for that (mumbled mfr)"
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2017, 10:27:21 AM »
Y'all oughta post some of da Buzz chit, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2017, 10:32:52 AM »
There was an empty chair.    Buzz's picture popped up in the background occasionally.    Crean kept prodding KO to tell some of the legendary stories, like after getting heckled at a McDonald's in Mequon, taking his kid out to the car, locking him in the car, and then going back inside to verbally retaliate against the hecklers.      Like kicking Father Kelley off of the bus in Evansville so that he could have an uncensored discussion with his team.      Deane talked about recruiting Wojo at Siena and hoping he would sprain his ankle at 5 star camp so that the big guys would back off. 

Eye

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2017, 10:35:02 AM »
Speaking of which, was Brent invited and took a pass, or was Brent not invited?
GO WARRIORS!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2017, 11:07:45 AM »
Just finished watching it and say what you want about Crean, but that guy really cared about his players and it showed.

When he was asked about coaching Wade, he mentioned all these nobody players I never heard of and seemed to really appreciate them. Dude took a promotion, still don't understand why people hate him for it so much.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
Speaking of which, was Brent invited and took a pass, or was Brent not invited?

Declined the invite.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2017, 11:38:36 AM »
Declined the invite.

Would've taken it had it got him a promotion or more power in VT's athletic department. Probably too busy doing a CBS Sports feature on teaching his players how to shake hands and tie a tie or something.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2017, 11:41:05 AM »
Maybe.   Or he is recruiting.    I would speculate that the wound is still too raw and that he isn't ready to act humble or proud.   Maybe there are still people he is not ready to make peace with yet.      His loss. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:43:07 AM by tower912 »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2017, 11:56:40 AM »
Maybe.   Or he is recruiting.    I would speculate that the wound is still too raw and that he isn't ready to act humble or proud.   Maybe there are still people he is not ready to make peace with yet.      His loss.

I don't think anyone was even remotely bothered that he wasn't there. Crean only mentioned him once and it was just his name, not even a story. Hell that Swedish player got more air time.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2017, 12:09:51 PM »
Dude took a promotion, still don't understand why people hate him for it so much.
Uh oh.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2017, 01:31:06 PM »
Just finished watching it and say what you want about Crean, but that guy really cared about his players and it showed.

When he was asked about coaching Wade, he mentioned all these nobody players I never heard of and seemed to really appreciate them. Dude took a promotion, still don't understand why people hate him for it so much.
To me it was the way he left
Goal is National Championship

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »
I would speculate that the wound is still too raw and that he isn't ready to act humble or proud.   Maybe there are still people he is not ready to make peace with yet.

While Buzz seems to do great with individual relationships, I think he struggles with institutional ones. He went scorched earth with his departures from both UNO and Marquette. Does anyone know how he left things with the Buzz's Bunch kids here? Does he keep in touch or follow up?

I didn't expect Buzz so his lack of his involvement wasn't surprising. If last night revealed anything about an old coach, it was Tom Crean's class. He made full amends for any previous missteps. I think most everyone except 4ever is over his departure, but last night he showed how important Marquette was and still is to him.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2017, 03:15:44 PM »
Biggest laugh: Mike Deane to KO "Well, Kevin thinks Mother is half a word."

Biggest Ovation: Wesley Matthews in response to Bilas asking why he didn't go to Wisconsin "Uh....I didn't like the Badgers."

Best story: Jim Chones talking about Al walking into his house and telling his dad "Nice pad J"

Overall, great event. Thought it was very well done. Wish we could have seen more of the recent players there, but I imagine they have commitments this time of year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2017, 03:23:06 PM »
Thanks for the Brent info gentlemen. I'll be honest I didn't think of it one time last night. Didn't dawn on me 'til about 9 or 10 o' clock this morning that he wasn't there.
GO WARRIORS!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2017, 03:25:21 PM »

If last night revealed anything about an old coach, it was Tom Crean's class. He made full amends for any previous missteps. I think most everyone except 4ever is over his departure, but last night he showed how important Marquette was and still is to him.

Did any of you who attended think that there was a twinge of regret in Crean's words? The folks at my table seemed to think so.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2017, 03:27:32 PM »
Did any of you who attended think that there was a twinge of regret in Crean's words? The folks at my table seemed to think so.

Absolutely. Listening to his story about Izzo telling Crean he had the best job I the country, I thought if Tom could do it all over again, he'd still be our coach.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »
Absolutely. Listening to his story about Izzo telling Crean he had the best job I the country, I thought if Tom could do it all over again, he'd still be our coach.

That's what I thought (assuming that he kept the program successful and MU didn't kick him to the curb).
Have some patience, FFS.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2017, 04:28:34 PM »

Not a recruiting period right now. He's just a weasel.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2017, 04:33:23 PM »
It's similar to Holtman leaving for OSU. He'll regret that move. Why assume all that pressure when you can make championship games at a basketball only school? I don't understand that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »

I heard some regret in his voice. Now one must remember that Indiana just fired him.  That'll always leave a bad taste.  One thing is for sure though. I think TC really does reflect fondly on his 9 years here.  I wouldn't be surprised that in the course of the last 24 hours he reminded Wojo that MU was a great gig and to appreciate it.  I think we all know that Wojo already believes that but it's nice to hear it from others too.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2017, 06:20:19 PM »

Lucky us.