[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: northwestern opts out of journalism accreditation  (Read 5830 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: northwestern opts out of journalism accreditation
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 07:33:34 AM »

Dude not everything has a political narrative to it.

Where did I say anything about politics??  Dude. What I am saying is accrediting journalism is an oxymoron.  Why even try?  It's more sensationalism and what sells as opposed to the rest of the story.  I'm talking right/wrong, truth vs lies, coverups vs follow the money, it's not what ya know, but who ya know...I said nothing about politics. If politics plays a role in all of this, then what ever...I'm talking about doing the right thing-open up your mind. I purposely Did NOT bring politics up cuz we ain't sposed to, remember? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 07:38:54 AM »
Where did I say anything about politics??  Dude. What I am saying is accrediting journalism is an oxymoron.  Why even try?  It's more sensationalism and what sells as opposed to the rest of the story.  I'm talking right/wrong, truth vs lies, coverups vs follow the money, it's not what ya know, but who ya know...I said nothing about politics. If politics plays a role in all of this, then what ever...I'm talking about doing the right thing-open up your mind. I purposely Did NOT bring politics up cuz we ain't sposed to, remember? 

Then I have no idea what you are saying here and what it has to do with accreditation.  As I have said earlier, it doesn't mean much to Northwestern, but means a lot to less prestigious programs.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 09:00:08 AM »
      looking at the state of journalism today, i'm not so sure "accreditation" really means all that much. looking
at public opinion polls of the state of journalism and given the "tilt" of the profession, who is going to go in and try to give it back any of it's credibility?  what are they going to tell the students?  now remember, you have a journalistic oath to hold up?  you need to cover things from both sides?  excuse me for a moment while i catch my breath...what are you going to have?  we used to call it, the wolves guarding the hen house.  pretty good example of teaching kids WHAT to think rather than HOW to think-there's your accreditation.  and it starts from the top, but they really do think that they are doing a good job.  another example of ya don't know what you do not know...well, i don't know anyone who would cover it any other way??  let's start there

When was the last time you sat in on a journalism class at a top school?  Let's start right there.

It sounds like you don't like the facts being reported, so it's easier to assume the schools teach bias than to assume the facts are what they are....

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 10:30:48 AM »
It sounds like you don't like the facts being reported, so it's easier to assume the schools teach bias than to assume the facts are what they are....

While there is some media bias in the world -- there always has been -- journalism's biggest problems are economic and not political.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »

Ugh.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2017, 03:23:26 PM »
When was the last time you sat in on a journalism class at a top school?  Let's start right there.

the last time i sat in on a journalism class at a top school?  never.  i didn't know that was a qualification to have an opinion on what i read and/or hear.  by that type of logic, many here could not have an opinion on, say college basketball because they had never played, or legal issues because they had never sat in on a class on legal issues in a top law school.  let's face it, without getting political, there is a lot of "mish-mash" and advocacy crap out there. if you deny that, i have a wind turbine to sell you

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2017, 06:41:36 PM »
the last time i sat in on a journalism class at a top school?  never.  i didn't know that was a qualification to have an opinion on what i read and/or hear.  by that type of logic, many here could not have an opinion on, say college basketball because they had never played, or legal issues because they had never sat in on a class on legal issues in a top law school.  let's face it, without getting political, there is a lot of "mish-mash" and advocacy crap out there. if you deny that, i have a wind turbine to sell you

You don't need to sit in a class to have an opinion about what you see and hear.  But you said:  "pretty good example of teaching kids WHAT to think rather than HOW to think-there's your accreditation."  A statement like that assumes you know what the J-schools are teaching.

Following now?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2017, 07:24:56 PM »
You don't need to sit in a class to have an opinion about what you see and hear.  But you said:  "pretty good example of teaching kids WHAT to think rather than HOW to think-there's your accreditation."  A statement like that assumes you know what the J-schools are teaching.

Following now?

ok, fair enough.  now this is where, in order for me to prove my points, i would have to get political and for the respect of this board, i will have to exercise some self control and stop here.  i apologize for leading us in this direction.  i guess my whole point is that i believe accreditation is over rated as it pertains to establishing the creditibility of institutions of higher learning.  allow the grads to determine this in the real world. once again, just my opinion

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2017, 09:02:16 PM »
ok, fair enough.  now this is where, in order for me to prove my points, i would have to get political and for the respect of this board, i will have to exercise some self control and stop here.  i apologize for leading us in this direction.  i guess my whole point is that i believe accreditation is over rated as it pertains to establishing the creditibility of institutions of higher learning.  allow the grads to determine this in the real world. once again, just my opinion

I never disagreed with you on that.  Peace.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2017, 05:28:59 AM »
I never disagreed with you on that.  Peace.

8-)

feedback