Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: DePaul hires head coach of La Lumiere  (Read 25245 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: DePaul hires head coach of La Lumiere
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 09:24:40 PM »
Until Depaul changes, it seems like a place that careers go to die.  Don't understand why one thinks it a place to start.

How many coaches go straight from high school to assistant coach of a high major program? Seems like a pretty impressive jump to me.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 09:57:43 PM »
I get this and you're probably correct. 

So, it is wrong of me to think ... another slacker millennial that does not want to work too hard, live in a hip area with cool bars, Wrigley Field, and hot girls.  It sounds like he values having a good time more than success in his career/job.  So, he is perfect for the dumpster fire that is Depaul.

You also wrote this, which again is probably true ...

no downside given DePauls Dumpster present dumpster fire status. If anything even marginally positive happens it is enough to help propel him.

So he does not really believe in his abilities/skills and has to "game" the system. 

If he really believed in himself, why doesn't he "kick in the door" of a Izzo, Archie Miller (now IU) or some program of that stature and tell them that he was able to get Bowen and Campbell to come to the middle of nowhere Indiana, help them progress as a player, so he can help you do the same.  (FYI - I've been to La Lumiere many times and it truly is in the middle of nowhere)

If he has that much confidence, couldn't he find a better place to start than the dumpster fire that is Depaul?
As much as I want to apply the slacker millenial label whenever I can, it does not apply in this case. I think it is more straightforward as I put it. A young ambitious guy just got his first college coaching job at a Big East University. The young man just skipped through years of coaching at double directionals with a hope of making it to Bradley or Drake. He did really well for himself .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 11:35:19 PM »
As much as I want to apply the slacker millenial label whenever I can, it does not apply in this case. I think it is more straightforward as I put it. A young ambitious guy just got his first college coaching job at a Big East University. The young man just skipped through years of coaching at double directionals with a hope of making it to Bradley or Drake. He did really well for himself .

We are all assuming that Dave Leitao job is safe?  Even if Heriman brings Campbell and Bowen with him to Depaul. Leitao is 9 -22 and 9 - 23 the last two years.  Another 9 win season and he could be out, along with Heriman .

I understand everyone argument but Depaul is arguably the biggest mess in D1.  Dicey place to start.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 12:39:55 AM »
We are all assuming that Dave Leitao job is safe?  Even if Heriman brings Campbell and Bowen with him to Depaul. Leitao is 9 -22 and 9 - 23 the last two years.  Another 9 win season and he could be out, along with Heriman .

I understand everyone argument but Depaul is arguably the biggest mess in D1.  Dicey place to start.

Eh. It's a mess. But I'm not even sure its the biggest mess in the Big East. I also think Letaio has a lot of leash left. Depaul will likely need to double down after hiring back a coach that already left them for a better job.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 06:19:32 AM »

Maybe someone who works hard and has confidence in his abilities sees DePaul as an opportunity.  Maybe those passing up DePaul as an opportunity to prove themselves because its too great a challenge are the true slackers.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Charlotte Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2017, 07:16:24 AM »
It's desperation..they can't get recruits the old fashioned way..so bring in a coach that so happens to have coached Brian Bowen and Tyger Campbell. Whatever makes you feel better about yourselves DePaul.

Hard to throw stones when we recruit a transfer  - the brother of a 5 star - then don't renew his scholarship after the brother leaves early.   Let's worry about our own program and not pick apart the ethics of another.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2017, 08:29:50 AM »
I get this and you're probably correct. 

So, it is wrong of me to think ... another slacker millennial that does not want to work too hard, live in a hip area with cool bars, Wrigley Field, and hot girls.  It sounds like he values having a good time more than success in his career/job.  So, he is perfect for the dumpster fire that is Depaul.

You also wrote this, which again is probably true ...

no downside given DePauls Dumpster present dumpster fire status. If anything even marginally positive happens it is enough to help propel him.

So he does not really believe in his abilities/skills and has to "game" the system. 

If he really believed in himself, why doesn't he "kick in the door" of a Izzo, Archie Miller (now IU) or some program of that stature and tell them that he was able to get Bowen and Campbell to come to the middle of nowhere Indiana, help them progress as a player, so he can help you do the same.  (FYI - I've been to La Lumiere many times and it truly is in the middle of nowhere)

If he has that much confidence, couldn't he find a better place to start than the dumpster fire that is Depaul?

Dont think the likes of MSU have had any difficulties getting top rated recruits, so why would they need to go after a prep school coach?  Depaul is trying to get an advantage that the bigs dont need.  So they are taking a chance and swinging big, its worth a chance for depaul but not a chance most blue bloods need to take.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2017, 09:15:14 AM »
Hard to throw stones when we recruit a transfer  - the brother of a 5 star - then don't renew his scholarship after the brother leaves early.   Let's worry about our own program and not pick apart the ethics of another.

My memory is dim on this, was the scholarship not renewed, or did Wally not accept it because he was informed he would be the last man on the bench.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2017, 09:24:36 AM »
My memory is dim on this, was the scholarship not renewed, or did Wally not accept it because he was informed he would be the last man on the bench.

He was Pole-Axed, but there was a bit more to the story than Charlotte Warrior implies.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2017, 09:25:39 AM »

Smoke and mirrors.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2017, 09:41:16 AM »

Thanks.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2017, 10:06:31 AM »
Dont think the likes of MSU have had any difficulties getting top rated recruits, so why would they need to go after a prep school coach?  Depaul is trying to get an advantage that the bigs dont need.  So they are taking a chance and swinging big, its worth a chance for depaul but not a chance most blue bloods need to take.

Agree about MSU, but Depaul is flat out dysfunctional.  I would rather go to a Horizon League, Missouri Valley or A-10 school over Depaul.

I remember the famous line from Warren Buffett ... when a manager with a great reputation is hired by a company with a bad reputation, the companies reputation wins out.

Going to a bad organization more often than not taints YOU with that reputation.  Hard to emerge unscathed.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2017, 10:34:06 AM »
Agree about MSU, but Depaul is flat out dysfunctional.  I would rather go to a Horizon League, Missouri Valley or A-10 school over Depaul.

I remember the famous line from Warren Buffett ... when a manager with a great reputation is hired by a company with a bad reputation, the companies reputation wins out.

Going to a bad organization more often than not taints YOU with that reputation.  Hard to emerge unscathed.

So, no one should ever work for DePaul basketball?  That'll keep 'em in the cellar.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2017, 10:43:20 AM »
So, no one should ever work for DePaul basketball?  That'll keep 'em in the cellar.

When they get a new AD and new head coach, then they can change.  Until then a 28 year-old assistant from a prep school is going to be tainted by their repuation.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2017, 11:02:50 AM »
Interesting.

Family is well known area here, kids were total loads, supported by a over-vocal, apparent asshat father who would get in screaming matches with other parents at away games.

The oldest son was still younger than my high school days, but I remember hearing about them.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2017, 11:35:54 AM »
You can't tell me that if it was his goal to get to a college program that he couldn't have done any better than DePaul?? If he is so highly regarded for his ability to recruit, schools should have been lined up to offer this guy a job. Again, it's total desperation by DePaul to try to make themselves look somewhat relevant again. Given the accolades this guy gets Nationally and the fact that if other schools knew it could/would deliver 5 star recruits, he'd have had his choice of jobs I'd think. Something about this one doesn't pass the smell test..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »
The Marquette academic building has its own coach?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2017, 12:15:34 PM »
You can't tell me that if it was his goal to get to a college program that he couldn't have done any better than DePaul?? If he is so highly regarded for his ability to recruit, schools should have been lined up to offer this guy a job. Again, it's total desperation by DePaul to try to make themselves look somewhat relevant again. Given the accolades this guy gets Nationally and the fact that if other schools knew it could/would deliver 5 star recruits, he'd have had his choice of jobs I'd think. Something about this one doesn't pass the smell test..
It is smart for DePaul and a good move for the young man. Their is upside for both parties and very little downside.  There is a pecking order in assistant coach jobs and this young fellow was able to skip the low major and mid major level and start at the high major level. If he is successful in helping DePaul attract even one quality recruit, it will be worth it for both parties. DePaul needs to get 4 good players a year for a couple of years to be competitive again. They have to start by getting the first one.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2017, 12:23:13 PM »
He is a young guy. Getting paid good money and living in Lincoln Park has to be very attractive.

If he is actually going to live in Lincoln Park, that "good money" isn't going to go very far.  A decent 1-bedroom apartment with a parking spot is going to run 2 grand a month.

Have some patience, FFS.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »
If he is actually going to live in Lincoln Park, that "good money" isn't going to go very far.  A decent 1-bedroom apartment with a parking spot is going to run 2 grand a month.

No worries, JLP sweetened the deal by giving him his own double at Corcoran Residence Hall.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2017, 01:24:32 PM »

Sort of like when leitao parlayed his first experince at depaul into the virginia job?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2017, 01:29:38 PM »
Sort of like when leitao parlayed his first experince at depaul into the virginia job?

This was Leiteo's two seasons at Depaul before he left for Virginia

2003–04   DePaul   22–10   12–4   1st   NCAA Second Round
2004–05   DePaul   20–11   10–6   T–4th   NIT Second Round

Depaul, like MU was still in CUSA.  He had a good record deserving of the Virginia job.

Depaul became dysfunctional once they got the Big East.  They simply cannot compete at the level of the Big East and now they are hopelessly lost.

Not a good place to break into D1 basketball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2017, 01:31:01 PM »

I think he means like when Jerry Wainwright parlayed his experience at DePaul into a job at Marquette.

Maybe worth noting that Tracy Webster went from DePaul assistant and briefly interim head coach to assistant gigs at Tennessee and Cal.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2017, 03:14:53 PM »
I think he means like when Jerry Wainwright parlayed his experience at DePaul into a job at Marquette.

Maybe worth noting that Tracy Webster went from DePaul assistant and briefly interim head coach to assistant gigs at Tennessee and Cal.

Webster worked as an assistant coach at Kentucky, Illinois, Purdue, Ball State, DePaul, Nebraska, and Tennessee and Cal (and is now leaving Cal and looking for work again).

He was the interim head coach at DePaul from January 11, 2010 until April 7, 2010, amassing a 1–14 regular season record and a 0–1 record in the Big East Tournament.

Depaul was his fifth stop, not his first.  He broke in with Kentucky, which will NEVER be confused with Depaul.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:17:05 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2017, 03:24:53 PM »
Wonder if he found out DePaul going to school Leitao soon and hed be given the job?

Far fetched I know but still would be an intriguing set up.
Maigh Eo for Sam