[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul hires head coach of La Lumiere  (Read 25606 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: DePaul hires head coach of La Lumiere
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2017, 11:10:33 AM »
The worst thing about the Allstate, by far, is the ungodly size of its rows. If you're somehow stuck in the middle of the row, you've got 15-20 people to get by to make it to an aisle.

Overall, the Allstate is fine. It's dated, the concessions are subpar (if that matters ... I don't think the deciding factor for many people is the dining experience) and the suites are far from luxurious, but there's not really anything wrong with it. The layout, location, sound system, concessions, etc., haven't prevented it from consistently being one of the most successful concert and family show venues in the country. And it's far, far, far down the list of what's prevented DePaul from being a more successful program for the past couple decades.

Don't forget the Wolff's Sunday flea markets...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2017, 11:31:24 AM »
If you are looking at the entire Chicagoland area as your market, you can't get a more convenient location than the intersection of I-294 and I-90.

Not true, cannot more convenient than downtown.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »
The worst thing about the Allstate, by far, is the ungodly size of its rows. If you're somehow stuck in the middle of the row, you've got 15-20 people to get by to make it to an aisle.

Why does DePaul make all of their fans sit in the same row?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2017, 11:38:09 AM »
Why does DePaul make all of their fans sit in the same row?

Easier to gather everyone for the race where you balance an egg on a spoon.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2017, 11:47:59 AM »
Not true, cannot more convenient than downtown.

As a suburbanite, I can tell you that you cannot be more wrong.  People who live in the city can take the El/bus to the Allstate. Not everyone in the suburbs has convenient public transportation to Downtown. 

Other than for work, I go Downtown fewer than 5 times a year, usually because we have out-of-town guests. I am far from alone. It's not worth the hassle.  And to have to actually go all the way through Downtown on my way to McCormick Place (which 80% of the folks even remotely interested in DePaul basketball will have to do) is even more of a hassle.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:58:46 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »
As a suburbanite, I can tell you that you cannot be more wrong.  People who live in the city can take the El/bus to the Allstate. Not everyone in the suburbs has convenient public transportation to Downtown. 

Other than for work, I go Downtown fewer than 5 times a year, usually because we have out-of-town guests. I am far from alone. It's not worth the hassle.

Does that really make suburban venues a good or profitable idea, though? People from the NW burbs also talk about going to the burbs north of the city like its the oregon trail, so I'm not sure you capture more of the suburban crowd by placing stadiums or venues out there. At least downtown, you have bars and restaurants and can make it more of an event (not to mention that its just more shiny for recruits). 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »
Does that really make suburban venues a good or profitable idea, though? People from the NW burbs also talk about going to the burbs north of the city like its the oregon trail, so I'm not sure you capture more of the suburban crowd by placing stadiums or venues out there. At least downtown, you have bars and restaurants and can make it more of an event (not to mention that its just more shiny for recruits). 

How do most people get to the United Center?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2017, 12:18:19 PM »

Other than for work, I go Downtown fewer than 5 times a year, usually because we have out-of-town guests. I am far from alone. It's not worth the hassle.  And to have to actually go all the way through Downtown on my way to McCormick Place (which 80% of the folks even remotely interested in DePaul basketball will have to do) is even more of a hassle.

The commute is the same as a Bears game, if not easier. A one hour car commute. If you want to imbibe, take the Metra to OTR and grab an Uber for the five-ten minute drive to McCormick. Since you have a monthly Metra pass, the $5 Uber fare split two ways is cheaper and easier than walking to the CTA line.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »

And suburbanites at MU used to wonder why city folk got offended when they'd say they were from Chicago.

Anyways, the issue is that Lincoln Park priced a lot of DePaul students out of the neighborhood so the vast majority live all over the city. I've met them as west west as Galewood, as far north as rogers park and even some that come in from Beverly. It's become a giant commuter school so no matter what the location is, they're losing out on a big portion of their fan base. At least by being downtown they can count on young alums and current students coming (if they're good) and can try to market it as a desireable location for any out of towners from opposing teams.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »
The commute is the same as a Bears game, if not easier. A one hour car commute. If you want to imbibe, take the Metra to OTR and grab an Uber for the five-ten minute drive to McCormick. Since you have a monthly Metra pass, the $5 Uber fare split two ways is cheaper and easier than walking to the CTA line.

DePaul is not the Bears.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2017, 12:24:48 PM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2017, 12:33:46 PM »
DePaul is not the Bears.

You sure?

Also MU is not the Packers...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2017, 12:34:59 PM »
And suburbanites at MU used to wonder why city folk got offended when they'd say they were from Chicago.

Anyways, the issue is that Lincoln Park priced a lot of DePaul students out of the neighborhood so the vast majority live all over the city. I've met them as west west as Galewood, as far north as rogers park and even some that come in from Beverly. It's become a giant commuter school so no matter what the location is, they're losing out on a big portion of their fan base. At least by being downtown they can count on young alums and current students coming (if they're good) and can try to market it as a desireable location for any out of towners from opposing teams.

This is all true, but that doesn't mean it is more convenient for their potential fanbase as a whole than where the Allstate is. 
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2017, 12:43:49 PM »
You sure?

Also MU is not the Packers...

The Bears only play in Soldier Field 8 times a year, it is an all-day event, and while they suck, they are not nearly as crappy as DePaul Men's basketball.

The Tennessee Titans play Downtown, in a half-full stadium.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2017, 12:48:47 PM »
This is all true, but that doesn't mean it is more convenient for their potential fanbase as a whole than where the Allstate is.

It will be interesting to see what happens when NU plays there next year in Rosemont. NU makes a killing in attendance as other B1G schools' fans prefer to visit Chicago versus the other cow or corn towns, stay downtown, and take the el to Evanston.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2017, 12:49:12 PM »

Where do you live in the suburbs that you can get to Soldier Field in an hour (at least anytime between 7 a.m. and midnight)? It takes me longer than that just to get from O'Hare to downtown.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2017, 12:56:55 PM »
I-294/I-90 is the most ideal spot for a sports venue for the vast majority of Chicagoans. I think eventually that is where the White Sox will play (that may be 20 years out still).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2017, 12:58:03 PM »

How do most people get to the United Center?

Uber ... 10 to 15 minutes

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2017, 01:02:49 PM »
This thread is reminding me why I chose not to return to Chicagoland after school. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2017, 01:24:43 PM »
Where do you live in the suburbs that you can get to Soldier Field in an hour (at least anytime between 7 a.m. and midnight)? It takes me longer than that just to get from O'Hare to downtown.

Google maps at noon today with traffic from the Western burbs to the Arena. If it is a weeknight game, Metra it or CTA it to the Wintrust, which will be immensely easier for the thousands of students and alums who live and work in the city.

Also, the Bears play at least ten games at home and DePaul played 16 in Rosemont. They also played games at McGrath. The Glows and myself spend 3-4 hours commuting to MU weeknight games.

If DU is good, fans will come. If not, it will be a ghost town like Allstate. And, Rosemont is no treat to commute to either, and Allstate parking is all choke points.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2017, 03:59:06 PM »
I live in the SW suburbs of Chicago and I would definitely say the McCormick Place venue is more convenient for people from my area than anything north of I-290/I-88.

The rebuilt Dan Ryan makes it a good deal easier to get to downtown from the Orland Park/Tinley Park area than it is to get to Rosemont. The door to door trip from my house to McCormick Place will typically take 35 minutes, its generally at least 15 minutes longer to get to Allstate Arena.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2017, 04:13:02 PM »
I live in the SW suburbs of Chicago and I would definitely say the McCormick Place venue is more convenient for people from my area than anything north of I-290/I-88.

The rebuilt Dan Ryan makes it a good deal easier to get to downtown from the Orland Park/Tinley Park area than it is to get to Rosemont. The door to door trip from my house to McCormick Place will typically take 35 minutes, its generally at least 15 minutes longer to get to Allstate Arena.

35min from Orland downtown? You must leave at 6am and go home at 8pm... right now it's 4:15 and says an hour fifteen
Maigh Eo for Sam

Tugg Speedman

• All American

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2017, 11:53:33 PM »
Bowen tweeted out today he is going to Louisville

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19529194/five-star-prospect-brian-bowen-commits-louisville

Weird recruitment. All over the place. Smelled like a lot conversations were being had behind the scenes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2017, 06:03:36 AM »
Georgetown once played its games in the suburbs at Capital Centre, a soulless building in the woods of Maryland where there wasn't a restaurant, convenience store, or bus stop within three miles of the place. Moving downtown was the best decision Georgetown could have made given that Capital Centre was so inaccessible to students, who are not allowed to have cars and had to ride rented school buses to the games.

Granted, it's going to be a hike for many in the northwest suburbs, but the Rosemont Horizon was never going to get better.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:06:26 AM by DFW HOYA »

feedback