[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 NFC North/NFL thread  (Read 24374 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: 2018 NFC North/NFL thread
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2017, 05:54:03 PM »
It's great that the Bears beat the Niners last December. That "meaningless" win will have butterfly effects for years to come.

Because they gave up two 3rds and a 4th?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2017, 06:55:03 PM »
I'm relieved they didn't take Watt, particularly because of his history of injury and inexperience at LB. Now if they don't take King with the 1st pick today...

you da man!  although offensive line(lamp) wouldn't have been a bad deal either.  love the height.  reminds me of steve atwater.  needs to muscle up a little
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2017, 07:03:45 PM »
you da man!  although offensive line(lamp) wouldn't have been a bad deal either.  love the height.  reminds me of steve atwater.  needs to muscle up a little

We just signed a 6 time Pro Bowl guard. And that was after Rodgers said we don't need anymore help on the OL.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2017, 07:24:00 PM »
I must admit that I've never heard of Ashland.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2017, 08:20:53 PM »
I must admit that I've never heard of Ashland.

Anytime you can needlessly trade up one spot in the first round, give up three picks in the process, be bad to begin with, and then gamble on a lottery ticket TE from a D2 school who is graded as a mid round pick, when you have all sorts of needs...ya gotta do it.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2017, 08:29:37 PM »
Anytime you can needlessly trade up one spot in the first round, give up three picks in the process, be bad to begin with, and then gamble on a lottery ticket TE from a D2 school who is graded as a mid round pick, when you have all sorts of needs...ya gotta do it.

You have no clue they didn't need to trade up.

I didn't like the trade but come on.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2017, 08:39:58 PM »
I fully expect the Bears to draft Stan Thomas in the next round or maybe John Thievery, or Rashan Salam or Curtis Ennis, or........They just seem to knock it out of the park every single year....

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2017, 08:52:53 PM »
I fully expect the Bears to draft Stan Thomas in the next round or maybe John Thievery, or Rashan Salam or Curtis Ennis, or........They just seem to knock it out of the park every single year....

Hilarious.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2017, 08:53:46 PM »

Name me their competition at 2 or 3 for Trubisky. I. Will. Wait.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2017, 09:19:42 PM »
Name me their competition at 2 or 3 for Trubisky. I. Will. Wait.

Browns. Chiefs. Cards. Texans.

There. You. Go.

Don't state as fact what you don't know. That's my point.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2017, 09:34:33 PM »
We just signed a 6 time Pro Bowl guard. And that was after Rodgers said we don't need anymore help on the OL.

i like bulaga, but he has been a little fragile and he ain't getting any younger plus we lost lang as well.  evans should be a nice addition for what? 2 years?  i hope longer, but

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2017, 09:35:09 PM »
Browns. Chiefs. Cards. Texans.

There. You. Go.

Don't state as fact what you don't know. That's my point.

Don't state as fact what you don't know.

Browns-Passed on Trubisky.
Chiefs-If they had Trubisky higher than Mahomes, why didn't they trade up to 2 then? Can you explain?
Texans-If they had Trubisky higher than Watson, why didn't they trade up to 2 then? Can you explain?
Cardinals-What was their offer?

Having worked in an NFL & NBA front office and understanding some things, when your current boss is the brother of a former GM, and you can occasionally gain insight into things, and you have a friend in the San Francisco sports media (who did a story on my son and his friendship with Malik Newman), I'll go with the info I gathered and gained today, and the Bears got fleeced for nothing.

Have a great night though.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2017, 09:40:56 PM »

Dish, the Packer faithful armchairs are complaining that they took the top corner on the board that they would have taken at 29 and then complaining that they got a big Safety/LB that can run 4.4.  Some folks are never happy.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2017, 09:43:12 PM »
     "Having worked in an NFL & NBA front office and understanding some things, when your current boss is the brother of a former GM, and you can occasionally gain insight into things, and you have a friend in the San Francisco sports media (who did a story on my son and his friendship with Malik Newman), I'll go with the info I gathered and gained today, and the Bears got fleeced for nothing."

dish-seriously-this is really cool!  i don't mean to sound like a "geezer airhead" but this kind of chit geeks me out. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: 2018 NFC North/NFL threa
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2017, 09:49:16 PM »
Don't state as fact what you don't know.

Browns-Passed on Trubisky.
Chiefs-If they had Trubisky higher than Mahomes, why didn't they trade up to 2 then? Can you explain?
Texans-If they had Trubisky higher than Watson, why didn't they trade up to 2 then? Can you explain?
Cardinals-What was their offer?

Having worked in an NFL & NBA front office and understanding some things, when your current boss is the brother of a former GM, and you can occasionally gain insight into things, and you have a friend in the San Francisco sports media (who did a story on my son and his friendship with Malik Newman), I'll go with the info I gathered and gained today, and the Bears got fleeced for nothing.

Have a great night though.

Not stating anything as fact.

Why didn't the other teams trade up?  Because the Bears' offer was better and that's what the 49ers went with. In turn, the other teams traded up for other options. And look at how much the Texans and Chiefs gave up to do so.

Nice that you have connections. You certainly know more than me.  I don't doubt the Bears overpaid.

But if John Lynch completely fabricated other potential offers he's not going to last long. And unless you were in that room I take everything you heard and your sources heard with a grain of salt.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2017, 09:50:02 PM »
Dish, the Packer faithful armchairs are complaining that they took the top corner on the board that they would have taken at 29 and then complaining that they got a big Safety/LB that can run 4.4.  Some folks are never happy.

Who's complaining?  I'm thrilled with our 2 guys so far.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2017, 10:39:34 PM »

http://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/reports-out-that-there-were-no-teams-trying-to-move-up-to-pick-mitch-trubisky-and-ryan-pace-was-essentially-negotiating-against-himself/

Here are some actual facts:

1. the Bears traded 2 3rds and a 4th to move up 1 spot to take a project QB (at least they didn't give up any 1sts or 2nds unlike Texans, etc)
2. John Fox didn't know they were picking him
3. Trubisky hadn't been contacted by Chicago at all since meeting at the combine
4. Trubisky wasn't called in the green room and informed Bears were taking him

It seems like just a strange situation all around.

The reason I don't like what they gave up is that it's not like the team is set or deep at several positions and they have the luxury of using resources on a gamble. When rebuilding, gather as many options/picks as possible and hope some turn out in conjunction with FAs and current roster. It's a numbers game.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:48:41 PM by jesmu84 »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2017, 11:37:02 PM »
For the record, I love what the Pack did, I really liked Kevin King and Josh Jones. If Evans still has gas in the tank, they've had a nice off season of addressing needs without overpaying.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2017, 11:46:48 PM »
Also, I hope Trubisky is great. I strongly dislike that they have no one in their building with a track record of developing QB's. Wentz regressed as film caught up to him, but the Eagles invested heavily in their coaching staff to nurture Wentz. Rams traded so much for Goff, and gave him little support on staff to help him.

Trubisky is walking into a tough situation, his team traded up for him, in a major market, with historically bad QB's. It'd be like spending all your savings on a brand new Porsche, and then buying the cheapest tires possible to put on it. Yes, you can get new tires, but did you already ruin the car? I don't envy Trubisky, but I want him to be great.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »

I am too.  But a read of the js blog last night was entertaining.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »
For the record, I love what the Pack did, I really liked Kevin King and Josh Jones. If Evans still has gas in the tank, they've had a nice off season of addressing needs without overpaying.

Word.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »

Monitored the draft from the Brewers game, and a bunch of guys behind me were livid throughout.

Talked about how much we'd regret not drafting Watt (and we might! I think he'll be very good and a great fit in Pitt) and how much Thompson hated picking Wisconsin boys because it put too much pressure on them (you know, to be competent NFL players).

I'm excited about our 2 DBs - both of these guys are prototypical size and speed. I'm lukewarm on Adams, but that's more because I was eyeing Derek Rivers, who went 8 picks earlier to the Pats.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2017, 11:33:40 AM »
Monitored the draft from the Brewers game, and a bunch of guys behind me were livid throughout.

Talked about how much we'd regret not drafting Watt (and we might! I think he'll be very good and a great fit in Pitt) and how much Thompson hated picking Wisconsin boys because it put too much pressure on them (you know, to be competent NFL players).

I'm excited about our 2 DBs - both of these guys are prototypical size and speed. I'm lukewarm on Adams, but that's more because I was eyeing Derek Rivers, who went 8 picks earlier to the Pats.

:o

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2017, 11:44:53 AM »
:o

oops! I hope the badger fans are right for once!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2017, 12:00:42 PM »
oops! I hope the badger fans are right for once!

I think Biegel can play.

feedback