collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ESPN Layoffs  (Read 94447 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: ESPN Layoffs
« Reply #250 on: April 28, 2017, 03:15:03 PM »
I doubt that's the complete definition of "bitch".  Nothing about female dogs?

I edited to use the relevant definitions.  There are multiple definitions for airhead too - similar to a "beachhead" in battle.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #251 on: April 28, 2017, 03:26:09 PM »
I have never heard a guy being described as an airhead except in very poorly-done expletive dubbing, where it is used instead of "a$$hole".  See:  High Fidelity

I absolutely have. The only time I've used the word in recent memory is to describe a 21-year-old male co-worker who fits the description to a tee. Don't see it as sexist at all, and honestly more often describes men I know than women.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #252 on: April 28, 2017, 03:33:58 PM »
Kan wee get all dis chit like airhead, head, and bitch in gif form. Words are too damn ambiguous and confusin', ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #253 on: April 28, 2017, 03:34:05 PM »
Kan wee get all dis chit like airhead, head, and bitch in gif form. Words are too damn ambiguous and confusin', ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #254 on: April 28, 2017, 03:36:32 PM »

you can say that again...
don't...don't don't don't don't

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #255 on: April 28, 2017, 03:40:10 PM »

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #256 on: April 28, 2017, 03:40:29 PM »
you can say that again...

I see what you did there...Slow clap
Fear makes you dumb.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #257 on: April 28, 2017, 03:49:34 PM »
I have never heard a guy being described as an airhead except in very poorly-done expletive dubbing, where it is used instead of "a$$hole".  See:  High Fidelity

We tend to use the term "Space Cowboy" or simply, "Moron" when describing a dude.

What's worse? They all merit a trip to the Confessional -- assuming I'll ever go again!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #258 on: April 28, 2017, 03:56:56 PM »
I absolutely have. The only time I've used the word in recent memory is to describe a 21-year-old male co-worker who fits the description to a tee. Don't see it as sexist at all, and honestly more often describes men I know than women.

Sultan disagreed with Cohn's assertion that ESPN is overly leftist in the politics, largely because he agrees with that political viewpoint.  So he had to dismiss Linda Cohn's assertion by saying she was unqualified to make such an opinion, despite her being employed at ESPN for more than 25 years and winning numerous journalism awards and considered somewhat of a pioneer in female sports journalism, by calling here an "airhead."

You will not find a more cut and dry sexist remark than this.  You're trying to hard to protect your friend and fail to see the plainly obvious.

Added

Sultan here is a better argument ... That's one opinion and she is probably a republican.  Plenty of other people at ESPN with 25 years experience see it differently.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:00:33 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #259 on: April 28, 2017, 03:58:31 PM »
Well obviously. But why does that matter? Both were the first of their respective identities to play a sport at the highest level in the USA. That's the important part.  Robinson was great but frankly,  none of us would remember him if he was the second black man to play major league baseball.

While I generally agree with almost all your posts, I don't think you could be any more wrong in this case. Players like Jackie are not forgotten. They are immortalized in the HOF. None of us have a hard time remembering guys like Aaron, Mays, Clemente, Gibson, etc. The greats are not forgotten.

The important part is that Jackie was one of the greatest players to ever play the game, a HOF'er and a guy who would certainly be in the consideration for one of the top 10-20 greatest players of all-time if he wouldn't have had to deal with the racism of the time. Michael Sam was just a guy.

There had been many, many gay players in the NFL before Sam was drafted. The same cannot be said about blacks - or even Hispanics for that matter. Ted Williams - probably the greatest hitter ever - had to hide the fact that his mother was from Mexico out of fear that he would not be allowed to play MLB.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2017, 04:00:30 PM »
Andy Katz got laidoff...come to fox sports

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2017, 04:00:41 PM »

While I generally agree with almost all your posts, I don't think you could be any more wrong in this case. Players like Jackie are not forgotten. They are immortalized in the HOF. None of us have a hard time remembering guys like Aaron, Mays, Clemente, Gibson, etc. The greats are not forgotten.

The important part is that Jackie was one of the greatest players to ever play the game, a HOF'er and a guy who would certainly be in the consideration for one of the top 10-20 greatest players of all-time if he wouldn't have had to deal with the racism of the time. Michael Sam was just a guy.

There had been many, many gay players in the NFL before Sam was drafted. The same cannot be said about blacks - or even Hispanics for that matter. Ted Williams - probably the greatest hitter ever - had to hide the fact that his mother was from Mexico out of fear that he would not be allowed to play MLB.

Were there *openly* gay players before Sam?  Many came out after their playing days, but *while* they were playing?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #262 on: April 28, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »

Yeah, cuz if anyone knows a lot about words..........

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #263 on: April 28, 2017, 04:03:29 PM »

Were there *openly* gay players before Sam?  Many came out after their playing days, but *while* they were playing?

No - they were afraid of losing their careers. Many came out after they retired. Sam was a pioneer in this area as being the 1st openly gay man to attempt to play in the NFL.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2017, 04:13:15 PM »

Uh....the difference is that *by definition,* "airhead" is a term that is used for males or females.

Mirriam-Webster:
a mindless or stupid person

Dictionary.com:
a scatterbrained, stupid, or simple-minded person; dolt

Oxford English:
A silly or foolish person.

As opposed to "bitch":

Mirriam-Webster:
a lewd or immoral woman
a malicious, spiteful, or overbearing woman —sometimes used as a generalized term of abuse

Dictionary.com:
a malicious, unpleasant, selfish person, especially a woman.
a lewd woman.
Disparaging and Offensive. any woman.

Oxford English:
A spiteful or unpleasant woman.

So are we done here now?  Or do I get to own Heisey and you some more before the weekend comes?  I'm good with the ownage cause it's a Friday afternoon and I'm kinda bored.

What is this crazy Bizzarro world where Sultan is the one moving goalposts.

Forget the definition... it doesn't matter how people define it today, the origin of "airhead" - in the pejorative sense - has a sexist connotation.  Period.

Likewise, the origin of the phrase "owning someone" has a racial connotation.  Period.

But your position here is essentially that, over time, the connotations have been diluted as utilization has evolved such that neither is typically considered to be sexist/racist in modern use.  Just like how "Redskin" used to be a racial pejorative, but now it's simply a word used to describe a professional football team, n'est-ce pas?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #265 on: April 28, 2017, 04:18:21 PM »
This thread is going places.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #266 on: April 28, 2017, 05:07:56 PM »

Typically, the word used would be "mimbo" when describing classic "airhead" behavior from a male.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #267 on: April 28, 2017, 06:06:11 PM »

Sultan disagreed with Cohn's assertion that ESPN is overly leftist in the politics, largely because he agrees with that political viewpoint.  So he had to dismiss Linda Cohn's assertion by saying she was unqualified to make such an opinion, despite her being employed at ESPN for more than 25 years and winning numerous journalism awards and considered somewhat of a pioneer in female sports journalism, by calling here an "airhead."

You will not find a more cut and dry sexist remark than this.  You're trying to hard to protect your friend and fail to see the plainly obvious.

Added

Sultan here is a better argument ... That's one opinion and she is probably a republican.  Plenty of other people at ESPN with 25 years experience see it differently.
Anybody who does not see that espn has gone way pc in last 10 yrs is simply...an airhead
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #268 on: April 28, 2017, 06:21:49 PM »
I'm amazed this thread has been able to tip-toe the thread locking line so gracefully for this long.

I believe I spoke too soon.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #269 on: April 28, 2017, 06:27:53 PM »

You're wrong. Assuming that only women can be airheads, which is the stance you have taken, is far more sexist than anything Sultan wrote.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #270 on: April 28, 2017, 06:39:59 PM »
i don't understand why some here seem to want this thread locked.  yes it has wobbled around the original topic, tickled some politics, gotten a little contentious at times, but i don't think it has crossed the line.  we have shown some "self-containment" and "internal disciplinary measures" to keep this from getting out of hand, which is the way it should be.  just as the job hunting 101 was.  all it takes it a little peer pressure to right the ship and bada bing-bada boom, eeen'a?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #271 on: April 28, 2017, 06:48:34 PM »

A movie about stupid (male) criminals (from the not-too-distant past).

I have to admit, though, that I typically think of 'airhead' as being "derogatory" toward women rather than men.  And I can't fight my gut that says that if Heisy had used the term, people would have likely jumped all over him.

Anyway.  In before the lockaroo.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #272 on: April 28, 2017, 07:43:39 PM »
i don't understand why some here seem to want this thread locked.  yes it has wobbled around the original topic, tickled some politics, gotten a little contentious at times, but i don't think it has crossed the line.  we have shown some "self-containment" and "internal disciplinary measures" to keep this from getting out of hand, which is the way it should be.  just as the job hunting 101 was.  all it takes it a little peer pressure to right the ship and bada bing-bada boom, eeen'a?
The original reason I started this thread was to discuss the potential benefits to Fox Sports of picking up some recognizable ESPN talent. So far no announcements made to that effect.

Some people like Skip Bayless already jumped ship. His new show Undisputed with Shannon Sharpe is fun sometimes.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #273 on: April 28, 2017, 07:53:38 PM »
The original reason I started this thread was to discuss the potential benefits to Fox Sports of picking up some recognizable ESPN talent. So far no announcements made to that effect.

Some people like Skip Bayless already jumped ship. His new show Undisputed with Shannon Sharpe is fun sometimes.

skip is either one shrewd mutha or just another annoying bunuvasich.  he's so provocative that people want to engage him.  he doesn't back down from his opinions regardless of how obtuse they can be.  check out his rantings about aaron rodgers sometime, but he is annoying all the way to the bank

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #274 on: April 28, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »

Jerk.  Used more for men or women?   Men, but one could technically say both.

Airhead.  Used more for men or women?  Women, but one could technically say both.

The cool news is Game of Thrones and British TV in general has made it cool to associate this with men, not just the ladies

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/13CSWRyaAgA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/13CSWRyaAgA</a>

feedback