[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ESPN Layoffs  (Read 94437 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
ESPN Layoffs
« on: April 25, 2017, 05:16:37 PM »
ESPN laying off a significant amount of talent. This could be positive for MU and the Big East . We are in alignment with Fox Sports and they may be able to pick up some of this talent. Also good people not being cut may jump ship and talent further dispersed. The more viable competitors there are when The Big East contract comes up for renewal the better.

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sports/news/espn-layoffs-espn2-mike-greenberg-mike-golic-sportscenter-am-katie-nolan-charissa-thompson-fs1-jamie-horowitz-john-skipper/1qyp55nrppaub1omvedncxtmfg
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: ESPN Layoffs
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 05:49:13 PM »
Oh no, now who will send me notifications that Shaq's nephews brother in laws son started his JV high school game?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
Oh no, now who will send me notifications that Shaq's nephews brother in laws son started his JV high school game?

The guy who started this thread

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 06:38:15 PM »
ESPN laying off a significant amount of talent. This could be positive for MU and the Big East . We are in alignment with Fox Sports and they may be able to pick up some of this talent. Also good people not being cut may jump ship and talent further dispersed. The more viable competitors there are when The Big East contract comes up for renewal the better.

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sports/news/espn-layoffs-espn2-mike-greenberg-mike-golic-sportscenter-am-katie-nolan-charissa-thompson-fs1-jamie-horowitz-john-skipper/1qyp55nrppaub1omvedncxtmfg
eh...fox has some issues as well. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 06:45:06 PM »
The guy who started this thread

I chuckled
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 07:28:02 PM »
Get rid of the dreadful SC6 debacle and that will be a good start.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 07:40:32 PM »
I hope this doesn't affect The Ocho.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 07:45:37 PM »
Benny could replace Myron. Although, I don't know if that's a cost saving for ESPN.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 07:57:12 PM »
I remember the good ol' days when SportsCenter was just two cool dudes narrating highlights and showing a few post-game stats while I had my morning cereal.  Now I eat my entire breakfast and they never get back from commercial.  When it's actually on, there are like 40 people making jokes and discussing drama rather than any of the actual games that were played.  I'd cut the on-air bodies, and spare the few that actually have talent.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 08:01:59 PM »
I remember the good ol' days when SportsCenter was just two cool dudes narrating highlights and showing a few post-game stats while I had my morning cereal.  Now I eat my entire breakfast and they never get back from commercial.  When it's actually on, there are like 40 people making jokes and discussing drama rather than any of the actual games that were played.  I'd cut the on-air bodies, and spare the few that actually have talent.

So true. Get back to the highlights and less drama. Unfortunately, a lot of casual fans are drawn to that garbage. Once baseball season starts, i just watch MLBN and don't even bother with ESPN.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 08:37:28 PM »
I hope this doesn't affect The Ocho.

Unfortunately, Cotton McNight and Pepper Brooks were among the casualties.

Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 08:51:29 PM »
Unfortunately, Cotton McNight and Pepper Brooks were among the casualties.

Crap.  They always get of the best ones first....

Cotton McKnight: I'm being told that Average Joe's does not have enough players and will be forfeiting the championship match.

Pepper Brooks: It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 08:58:33 PM »
Get rid of the dreadful SC6 debacle and that will be a good start.

Watched it once and was like watching a hip-hop show.  Just terrible.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 09:01:25 PM »

eh...fox has some issues as well. 

Exactly right ... all sports network are bleeding from the rectum.  The format is dead.

This is bad news for college sports including the Big East because when the current contracts expire the athletic departments at these schools will be next to bleed from the rectum when they see the cut in their broadcasting rights will be.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 09:10:55 PM »
Exactly right ... all sports network are bleeding from the rectum.  The format is dead.

This is bad news for college sports including the Big East because when the current contracts expire the athletic departments at these schools will be next to bleed from the rectum when they see the cut in their broadcasting rights will be.
The format is not dead. ESPN is still an extremely valuable enterprise. They just overpaid for certain properties.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 09:13:34 PM »
The format is not dead. ESPN is still an extremely valuable enterprise. They just overpaid for certain properties.

That is the definition of a dead format, one that cannot support its cost structure.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 09:24:45 PM »
That is the definition of a dead format, one that cannot support its cost structure.

If you define "the format" as every game, everywhere being on TV, you're right - it's dead.  If you define it more broadly as sporting events being on TV, it isn't.  They'll buy fewer games for less money and the "sellers" will have to adjust (lower coaching salaries, etc)...but TV sports is here to stay.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 09:51:00 PM »

If it results in FS1 bringing over an ESPNer who will replace Dickey, I'm all for it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 09:52:01 PM »
If you define "the format" as every game, everywhere being on TV, you're right - it's dead.  If you define it more broadly as sporting events being on TV, it isn't.  They'll buy fewer games for less money and the "sellers" will have to adjust (lower coaching salaries, etc)...but TV sports is here to stay.

Of course sports on TV is not going away.  Although traditional TV might go away and be replaced with streaming, with an Apple TV type device to stream it on the big screen on your wall.    This matters because endless streaming options mean the price collapses for the consumer but those that work in "TV" will be in a world of hurt ... like the personalities at ESPN are finding out today.

The "big money" in sports is going away and that is going to be a problem for the sports leagues and big conferences (Power 5) that are structured under the assumption that the seemingly infinite money they have been getting will never stop.

I've said this before ... the peak in sports TV was the moment the Big East broke up.  Pitt and Cuse bolting for the ACC for the money grab was the high.  The problem for Pitt and Cuse, and the rest of the power 5 is the are spending billions of facilities under the assumption TV money will coming flowing in forever and ever to pay for it.  That is ending and in a few years they too will be in a world of hurt.

Milwaukee is going to choke on its new stadium.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:56:02 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 09:54:47 PM »

I will put money on P6 conferences getting more money in their next contract than the contracts they are currently under.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 09:57:04 PM »
Of course sports on TV is not going away.  Although traditional TV might go away and be replaced with streaming, with an Apple TV type device to stream it on the big screen on your wall.    This matters because endless streaming options mean the price collapses for the consumer but those that work in "TV" will be in a world of hurt ... like the personalities at ESPN are finding out today.

The "big money" in sports is going away and that is going to be a problem for the sports leagues and big conferences (Power 5) that are structured under the assumption that the seemingly infinite money they have been getting will never stop.

I've said this before ... the peak in sports TV was the moment the Big East broke up.  Pitt and Cuse bolting for the ACC for the money grab was the high.  The problem for Pitt and Cuse, and the rest of the power 5 is the are spending billions of facilities under the assumption TV money will coming flowing in forever and ever to pay for it.  That is ending and in a few years they too will be in a world of hurt.

Milwaukee is going to choke on its new stadium.

So much laughable about this.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 09:57:40 PM »
I will put money on P6 conferences getting more money in their next contract than the contracts they are currently under.

And who is going to give them this money?  ESPN ... the network that has lost 12 million subscribers and its cutting personalities today?  You think twitter and/or facebook are stepping up with the money?   

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 09:58:55 PM »
So much laughable about this.

Where is your whining that this should be in the superbar?

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 10:06:02 PM »
Superbar
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 10:10:12 PM »
Can we start a gofundme for ESPN to rehire Skip? So sick of seeing those commercials during MU or football games.