collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Job hunting 101  (Read 18795 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Job hunting 101
« on: April 24, 2017, 02:55:38 PM »
SOS

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
Re: Job hunting 101
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:57:59 PM »
SOS

Fill out application

Care to dive into some more specifics?

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 04:37:38 PM »
Don't show employers your post history.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »
Delete your Facebook account.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 05:33:30 PM »
Sign up with Manpower and Robert Half for temp work while you apply for fulltime stuff.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 05:50:36 PM »
Friend all prospective hiring managers on FB and like all photos over the last 2 years.

But seriously, agree with the manpower suggestions to fill the gap, but leverage any past headhunters that you can. Their business is built on getting people into jobs with the hopes that you can return the favor with free referrals.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 06:01:23 PM »
SOS

Lots of people will talk about "networking" but as a 22-ish year old, that's an awfully abstract concept. So do this:

*Choose one or a few industries you're interested in
*Find out which friends, family, friends-of-friends, etc. work in those industries and ask the person to coffee (mention the person you know in common if not directly)
*Separately, find out which MU-ers work in those industries, look up their profiles at their company, introduce yourself in email and ask them to coffee
*Whether you talk on the phone for 5 minutes or get offered a job, always, always, ALWAYS write a thank you note. Email suffices.
*Stay in touch with as many of those people as possible, things will break eventually if not right away

Take risks and screw Manpower. Go tend bar at a nice restaurant/bar when you're not pounding the pavement. You'll be just as likely to meet the right folks and you'll have way more fun.

Finally, feel free to PM me and let me know what you're interested in doing. Happy to put you in touch with folks.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 07:05:33 PM »
Chitown,

What's the scoop here?  Are you still in school for PT in England?
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 07:19:50 PM »
Show a lil skin, hey?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »
If you are in PT, there is a huge network of MU alum waiting to assist you.  See if there is a MU PT group on LinkedIn and WORK IT.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 07:39:17 PM »
Ill give everyone the quick breakdown. Getting a Masters in Sports Journalism right now in the UK (havent done PT on like 3 years chick). I have applied to about 10 jobs so far, all of which I met the qualifications for and I have literally only heard back from one of them, a cordial, sorry we have already filled the position.

Few more specific questions:

1. Im applying to jobs in the US, but my American phone SIM card is not active right now. I always say email is the best way to contact me but I was wondering if I should put down my American address instead of my UK one even though I dont have an active American phone number.

2. For references, do I put them on the resume or do I just say references available upon request, I've heard both ways.

3. How do I at least get recruiters to at least reply to me, even if it is a no. So far the jobs that I have applied for dont have a specific person named for the hiring, so I have no idea who to contact to see if my application is still being considered.

Thanks all

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 07:44:26 PM »
Use the US address.  Can you put your parents number down?

Available upon request.

A certain percentage of recruiters just won't reach out to you.  Also, they wait till the role is filled and the candidate has started before their applicant tracking system sends you a reject later.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 08:07:52 PM »
Ill give everyone the quick breakdown. Getting a Masters in Sports Journalism right now in the UK (havent done PT on like 3 years chick). I have applied to about 10 jobs so far, all of which I met the qualifications for and I have literally only heard back from one of them, a cordial, sorry we have already filled the position.

1. Im applying to jobs in the US, but my American phone SIM card is not active right now. I always say email is the best way to contact me but I was wondering if I should put down my American address instead of my UK one even though I dont have an active American phone number.

2. For references, do I put them on the resume or do I just say references available upon request, I've heard both ways.

3. How do I at least get recruiters to at least reply to me, even if it is a no. So far the jobs that I have applied for dont have a specific person named for the hiring, so I have no idea who to contact to see if my application is still being considered.

Thanks all

My best guess is that recruiters aren't reaching out to you simply because you're out of country and they probably have other applicants that it's easier to work with.

I'd make a note on your resume (preferably near the top so they can't miss it) that you're currently in the UK, and the dates that you'll return. Since the first step is typically a phone interview and you're incapable of doing a phone interview, it may not hurt to put on your resume/application that you'd be willing to do a video interview in place of a phone interview.

Lastly, if the company website or the job posting has a general email box listed, I'd send a quick email to the company reiterating your interest and inquiring on your application status. Most companies still probably won't get back to you, but one or two most likely will.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:10:11 PM by MUeagle1090 »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 08:17:26 PM »
But wait, I thought,

Im done with the US, just done. This was just the final straw.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 08:29:25 PM »

1) Maybe register for a Skype account and put that on the top of the resume. But if I'm being perfectly honest, most recruiters will simply move on to the candidates that will be easier to screen.

3) This is the hardest part for me as a recruiter. Ideally, I'd like to be able to correspond with every candidate in a more timely manner. But in my case, I have 40-50 reqs and thousands of applicants between them. It's just not feasible to do, so as chili said, the letter goes out once it's filled. It sucks for the candidate, and I hate that it's gotten so impersonal, but it's the most efficient way.

Depending on the size of the company, you could always try LinkedIn to connect with a recruiter directly.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 08:32:47 PM »
Indeed.com is by far the best job search site around.  By far.  Search for key terms.  You can narrow your search by geography.  You can also filter out jobs, e.g., -senior to filter out senior jobs, and quotes to search for strings of words, e.g., "sports journalism" for sports and journalism together (in that order).

Also, you should open a LinkedIn account if you haven't already.

Ask PaintTouches if you can write some blog entries for them.  Then, you can put this on your resume.  It's not ESPN Fox Sports, but it's something.  Plus, potential employers can go to the site and actually read your work, e.g., your style, grammar, knowledge, etc.

Finally, I don't know UK academia all that well and don't know journalism at all, but shouldn't you have a director of graduate studies who can help place you into a job?  In many fields at many schools, employers will contact the director of graduate studies and ask something along the lines of "do you have any student/recent grad who would be interested in a position at our company doing XZ."

Finally finally, are there headhunters in journalism?  You should check.  Some time in the not too distant past I was working with a headhunter.  Many times they're very specialized, but it's worth checking out.

Finally finally finally, was your bachelors degree in journalism?  Were you a good student?  If so, you could shoot an e-mail to a professor at MU who remembers you (and likes you, i.e., you got an A in the class) and it could be that they know someone who is looking to hire.  Students undervalue the connections that their profs have. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 08:46:14 PM »
Ive had some pretty good work experience out here. Worked for NFL UK, Perform Group, and a local football club. We have a platform through our course where we post our articles, and I have video, mobile and radio content ready and even some old broadcast footage of me announcing live games.

Im not saying im a perfect candidate by any means I probably have less experience than a lot of other people, and i'm also probably a little too picky in regards to applying to jobs.  But it does seem that applying to US jobs while in the UK is a much bigger obstacle than I anticipated. Guess I'll just keep plugging away at it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 09:16:22 PM »
Out if curiosity, why did you chose a grad program in the U.K. in the first place? 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 09:20:09 PM »
Out if curiosity, why did you chose a grad program in the U.K. in the first place?

Specific course catered to Sports Journalism (I really wouldnt want to be a journo for anything else), NCTJ certification incase I wanted to stay and work in the UK. I was pretty pissed of at the US at the time, still am to be honest, but I would make so much more money back home.

International experience as well. I probably have one of the broadest scopes of sports knowledge in comparison to other sports journalists. The usual American Sports, college athletics, soccer, rugby, cricket, volleyball etc...

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 09:32:44 PM »
Cast a wide net, sending out 10 resumes and hearing back from one is what I experienced too, and that was with me calling in asking to speak with hiring managers.

Head hunters are nice, but keep in mind they find people for jobs, not jobs for people so again cast a wide net when working with them.

Best piece of advice though, tailor your resume/cover letter for each job application. Thanks to the digital age both documents filter for keywords before they even hit human hands, try and "game" the system.

Unless it's a critical position that has to be filled immediately expect the entire hiring process to be slow, for most involved in selecting candidates, it's a "when I'm free" task
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:35:51 PM by uncle zeffy »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 10:08:14 PM »
Specific course catered to Sports Journalism (I really wouldnt want to be a journo for anything else), NCTJ certification incase I wanted to stay and work in the UK. I was pretty pissed of at the US at the time, still am to be honest, but I would make so much more money back home.

International experience as well. I probably have one of the broadest scopes of sports knowledge in comparison to other sports journalists. The usual American Sports, college athletics, soccer, rugby, cricket, volleyball etc...

If you want to learn some good tips on networking, pm me. It's not that hard, and there are tons of people willing to help you.

Here's a good article on networking.  One of the people featured is a good friend. The principles apply to all stages of a career. If you want to be a good journalist, and get the scoop (my second clever pun tonight) you are going to have to learn how to network.  http://www.startribune.com/human-connections-give-job-seekers-a-leg-up-beyond-linkedin-and-other-electronic-contacts/408669605/

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 06:58:01 AM »
One idea. Get a phone that works.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 07:12:22 AM »
We do almost all of our intital interviews over Skype, unless the canidate is within a hour of the corporate office.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 07:14:30 AM »
One idea. Get a phone that works.

Unfortunately international calling plans are not anywhere near being within my budget. Thank god things like FaceTime, skype and WhatsApp exist.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 08:20:06 AM »
Good luck lookin' four gigs in utter countries 'cuz dis ain't yours no moor, ai na? O, and refrain from bashin' our Prez, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"