[Today at 09:23:57 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Mike Deane Retrospective  (Read 28370 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Mike Deane Retrospective
« on: April 23, 2017, 10:21:08 AM »
Found this old article interesting about "The Seat Belt Man". One, he turned down Northwestern before he took the MU job. The second, this quote, which I found hilarious considering his team's play:

"For me, it was an easy transition. For the players, it's a gigantic transition. My philosophy is fast-break basketball-moving the ball up the floor quickly on transition and utilizing the three-point shot. Kevin was a proponent of the half-court walk-it-up game with the emphasis on a solid defense."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-12-04/sports/9412040097_1_bill-cords-nu-bill-foster

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:26:23 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: Mike Deane Retrospective
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 12:54:28 PM »

In all seriousness, Deane was a good basketball coach - just a very poor recruiter.  I did not realize he turned down Northwestern.  What was his exact quote - At a place like Marquette, fans should be satisfied with an occasional tournament appearance, or something like that? 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 03:42:03 PM »
His siena teams were very fast paced.  But credit to Deane who was an outstanding coach he quickly recognized the returnees were not suited to that style. 

His recruiting hurt him as the Oneil players left the program he beacme less and less successful.

My guess due to frustration on his coaches show during year 5, his final.  He stated MU fans were un realistic and they should be happy with only occasional NCAA appearances.  This was the end as it was wholly different than the fan bases and more importantly the administartions perspective. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 06:40:45 PM »
His siena teams were very fast paced.  But credit to Deane who was an outstanding coach he quickly recognized the returnees were not suited to that style. 

His recruiting hurt him as the Oneil players left the program he beacme less and less successful.

My guess due to frustration on his coaches show during year 5, his final.  He stated MU fans were un realistic and they should be happy with only occasional NCAA appearances.  This was the end as it was wholly different than the fan bases and more importantly the administartions perspective.
What?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 07:23:29 PM »
Shyte. I saw the title of the OP and I thought Deane had died.

Glad to see that's not true.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 07:30:46 PM »
Mike Deane was 100-55 in his five years at MU and won over 400 games overall. He understood how to coach winning basketball.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 11:05:28 PM »
Deane was one of the better X's and O's coaches MU has had, imo.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 11:16:53 PM »
Deane was one of the better X's and O's coaches MU has had, imo.

True

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 12:06:31 AM »
Shyte. I saw the title of the OP and I thought Deane had died.

Glad to see that's not true.

Well, he kinda did. Got suspended for fighting a fellow assistant, then he was "retired".

The DOBO job would await him, if only he had Jerry's demeanor. Turner's could use the business too.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 05:14:55 AM »
Mike Deane was 100-55 in his five years at MU and won over 400 games overall. He understood how to coach winning basketball.

He would have rather gone to a horsetrack, a bar or a golf course then spend time at an AAU event. 
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 07:30:53 AM »
I remember going to a game in his last season and the BC had the atmosphere of a funeral home.  He may have been an good Xs and Os coach, but he was done.  Fired at the right time and replaced with the right person.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 09:12:07 AM »
Turner's could use the business too.

My brother worked as a bartender there during Deane's tenure. Told me some good stories, mostly involving him hitting on ladies less than half his age.

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 10:47:54 AM »
Also one of the quickest to call a time-out.  I remember one game he called a time-out with less than a minute in the game to bark at someone...

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 12:49:57 PM »
Also one of the quickest to call a time-out.  I remember one game he called a time-out with less than a minute in the game to bark at someone...

He actually did that all the time.  If he wasnt happy with the teams defensive intensity from the opening tip he would call a timeout n go ballistic.  I liked it. 
Great coach even more horrible recruiter.  Was good till oneils talent all graduated maybe the worst recruiter MU has seen.
The Arkansas game will always be one of my greatest disappointments.  That team was really really good.  Maybe the worst shooting night i have ever seen and they still woulda, coulda, shoulda won.  4 seed losing to a 12 seed, so dissapointing

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 12:57:59 PM »
Would spend timeouts early and if your guy scored, unless you were a star scorer, you were coming out at the next dead ball.   Not a lot of talented guys want to play for a coach like that and he didn't spend nearly enough time or effort finding the ones who would.   Krunti Hester?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 04:22:08 PM »
The smallest part of building a successful basketball program is ability to use X's and O's.

Deane was mediocre to terrible at most of the others.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 04:57:46 PM »

Chris Crawford.

Though, to give Deane some credit, he did recruit some solid guys who were key to MU's resurgence under Crean in Cordell, Wardle, Nnamaka and Jon Harris. Alton Mason would have been a good one too, if not for MU's academic rigor. He tearing up Hutch in practice when he was told to leave.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »
I lived in Albany when he was the Siena coach.  Had two local guys as roommates (Cuse grads...SMH) who took me to a Siena game.  2:00 into the game i ask "what the hell's wrong with that coach?".  One guy hands the other $20 - apparently the over/under on me asking was 5:00 minutes.

Edit: Same exact bar stories from Albany

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 05:03:48 PM »
Post Al, Dean-o may have been the best game coach at MU. When he was fired, many were upset at Cords and MU for the short rope. Cords saw the fall off coming, though, and made the tough and right call. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 05:12:30 PM »
Post Al, Dean-o may have been the best game coach at MU. When he was fired, many were upset at Cords and MU for the short rope. Cords saw the fall off coming, though, and made the tough and right call.
As much as I thought Deane was a good game coach , it was the right call. Prevented the glaciers from our mini ice age to return.  College athletics is still primarily about the talent differential.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 06:03:26 PM »
Deano bit the buttocks of a female lawyer in Turners as she stood drinking at the bar.

I remember when Paula returned to NY for "professional reasons."

Marquette was very well represented by the dark-glassed one.

Death on call

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 08:19:44 PM »
Deano bit the buttocks of a female lawyer in Turners as she stood drinking at the bar.

I remember when Paula returned to NY for "professional reasons."

Marquette was very well represented by the dark-glassed one.

Deane was a wild one in the bars.  And yes many were down on MU for firing a coach that had averaged 20 wins n won a conference title in 5 years but the team was heading in the wrong ditection n the recruiting was terrible.  It was the right call. As Crean had two .500 seasons while rebuilding the talent. That said F Crean.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 08:22:35 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2017, 09:32:44 PM »
You knew he meant business when he broke out the gold wired smoke tint glasses.  In his last years I thought to myself could our team get any whiter or stiff. Dick Shaw, Jarrod Lovett, Mike Bargen, Brian Wardle, etc.  I was so used to that crap that watching DWade explode down the lane for a tomahawk dunk was a huge breath of fresh air.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 10:30:28 PM »
You knew he meant business when he broke out the gold wired smoke tint glasses.  In his last years I thought to myself could our team get any whiter or stiff. Dick Shaw, Jarrod Lovett, Mike Bargen, Brian Wardle, etc.  I was so used to that crap that watching DWade explode down the lane for a tomahawk dunk was a huge breath of fresh air.

Lovette, Bargan and Wardle were good players. Dick was a KO recruit.

And who cares what color our players are? Butler and St Mary's, to name two off the top of my highly intelligent head, did ok with a bunch of white kids.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”