[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mike Deane Retrospective  (Read 28673 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Mike Deane Retrospective
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 09:34:54 AM »
One could argue that MU's last five coaches hit their high water marks in MKE. Actually, one could argue, all-time, all MU head coaches ever except Rick and Tex hit their high water basketball marks at MU.

Crean is grey but the Final Four and the Big East trumps the B1G championships with the NCAA flat tires... and getting the unceremoniously getting shyt canned as his s parting gift. The jury is still out on Buzz, only because of the years ahead. Deane-o regretted leaving Siena, one gets the feeling, and it was reflected in his recruiting effort.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 10:05:59 AM »
One could argue that MU's last five coaches hit their high water marks in MKE. Actually, one could argue, all-time, all MU head coaches ever except Rick and Tex hit their high water basketball marks at MU.

Crean is grey but the Final Four and the Big East trumps the B1G championships with the NCAA flat tires... and getting the unceremoniously getting shyt canned as his s parting gift. The jury is still out on Buzz, only because of the years ahead. Deane-o regretted leaving Siena, one gets the feeling, and it was reflected in his recruiting effort.

If only we got even a bit of Tex and Rick's best coaching... sighed I'd trade Nagle and Hickey for Tex till Al for sure
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 01:02:51 AM »

one gets the feeling, and it was reflected in his recruiting effort.

He passed on Wally Szerbiak (sp?) for John Polonowski and Chris Mimh for Greg Clausen. Oof.

Alton Mason kind of broke him. Super talented but couldn't cut it academically and had to leave MU after midterm grades came out. After that he was scared off of recruiting academically risky kids and we got Bart Miller and John Mueller (both wonderful kids and representatives of MU but not D1 players).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 01:02:09 PM »
Wow, John Mueller. . . I totally forgot about that kid.  Thanks!

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 05:12:52 PM »
Posted in another thread, but the '98 NIT against Minnesota was on Classic last month. Deane took two timeouts right away.  MU blew a late lead and had a Cliff wide open 3 to win at the end.  The '95 NIT championship was also on. You could see the talent difference in those 3 years.  Did Lovette's troubles have anything to do with the bad '99 season, or was Deane already gone?

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 09:15:17 PM »
Deane valued consistency, which is why he recruited Oluoma Nnamaka. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 10:44:03 PM »
Posted in another thread, but the '98 NIT against Minnesota was on Classic last month. Deane took two timeouts right away.  MU blew a late lead and had a Cliff wide open 3 to win at the end.  The '95 NIT championship was also on. You could see the talent difference in those 3 years.  Did Lovette's troubles have anything to do with the bad '99 season, or was Deane already gone?

He was gone. Recruiting was in the tank (Krunti Hester, which he tried to sell as ranked in the top 20 in Indiana), Deane had publicly gone after the St. John's job the previous spring and then tried to get Bill Cords fired. 3 strikes.

Even after beating top 5 Cincy late in the season, Cords said "this changes nothing" and Father Wild was all in on sending Deane packing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:47:48 PM by Billy Hoyle »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 11:07:04 PM »
95 nit championship game was an absolute heart crusher.  Pieper takes a text book charge to seal the game only to have a block called.  The game hurt.

After a slow start that team ended the season playing fantastic basketball n it carried over into the next year.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 11:16:33 PM »
He was gone. Recruiting was in the tank (Krunti Hester, which he tried to sell as ranked in the top 20 in Indiana), Deane had publicly gone after the St. John's job the previous spring and then tried to get Bill Cords fired. 3 strikes.

Even after beating top 5 Cincy late in the season, Cords said "this changes nothing" and Father Wild was all in on sending Deane packing.

St. John's story. Some big names on their list. To be fair, SJU was the better job at the time being in the Big East.

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/top-guys-not-storm-article-1.721442

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 08:51:08 AM »
95 nit championship game was an absolute heart crusher.  Pieper takes a text book charge to seal the game only to have a block called.  The game hurt.

After a slow start that team ended the season playing fantastic basketball n it carried over into the next year.

That 1996 team was one of the better MU teams of the past 25 years.  Would have loved to play UMass in the S16. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2017, 01:08:44 PM »
That 1996 team was one of the better MU teams of the past 25 years.  Would have loved to play UMass in the S16.

32% shooting in that Arkansas game. 32% goddamn percent.  Crawford and Pieper were especially horrible that day. Already had a place to stay in Atlanta too.  >:(

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2017, 01:13:28 PM »

I'm not sure about that play but it was Faisel Abraham who was called for the foul on Shawn Smith (64% or so FT shooter) with .7 seconds left. We were 6 of 16 from the line in that game and led by 10 in the second half.

We were so ready go to go the Lake too.  :(

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »

According to college poll archive they were barely ranked and only for a couple weeks. They're easily worse than 3 of creans teams and three of Buzz's. Add on O'Neill's last team and that makes them 7th at absolute best. I'd probably say they were more average than one of the better when you take into account the fact that in that span there's 15 NCAA teams and 5 NIT teams plus the Ellenson team was no slouch.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2017, 01:49:17 PM »
According to college poll archive they were barely ranked and only for a couple weeks. They're easily worse than 3 of creans teams and three of Buzz's. Add on O'Neill's last team and that makes them 7th at absolute best. I'd probably say they were more average than one of the better when you take into account the fact that in that span there's 15 NCAA teams and 5 NIT teams plus the Ellenson team was no slouch.

Eh, I don't know. I wouldn't use the rankings solely to determine strength of team. That team earned a 4 seed in the tournament so the committee saw them as a top 16 team in the country. We've only had 3 teams earn better seeds since then (2013, 2012, 2013 I believe). Granted, 2009 we would have likely been a 2 seed if James hadn't been hurt, so I'll throw that one in there as well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2017, 01:50:24 PM »

That team was a four seed and hot as blazes going into the NCAA.  Only games they lost toward the end of the year was at St. Louis (bad loss), and a UC team in the CUSA championship game in overtime.  That UC team went to the E8 that year.  In the semis, they crushed a ranked Memphis team on their home court.

They cruised to an easy first round win then got upset by Arkansas which I had a sinking feeling would happen.  (That Arkansas team beat a #5 and Big Ten champion Penn State team in the first round.  I was praying for Penn State to win that game.)

That was a good Marquette team.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2017, 01:56:46 PM »
Hang on, if Mike Deane was content with mediocrity and making the tournament only once in a while, than why does MikeDeanesDarkGlasses want Wojo gone so badly, eh?  ;)

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2017, 02:13:09 PM »

Crean only had 1 team that was noticeably better.  Of course Buzz had multiple better teams, Buzz is Buzz.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2017, 02:25:28 PM »
Crean only had 1 team that was noticeably better.  Of course Buzz had multiple better teams, Buzz is Buzz.

Buzz had only two teams that were markedly better.  2011-12 and 2012-13.  (And yes I know that is multiple.)  His 2011-12 team went further in the tournament, but I would be hard pressed to say that team was "better."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2017, 03:31:56 PM »
Buzz had only two teams that were markedly better.  2011-12 and 2012-13.  (And yes I know that is multiple.)  His 2011-12 team went further in the tournament, but I would be hard pressed to say that team was "better."

Come on man 11-12 team was better than the 12-13 team. That team hit 27 wins and did it in a considerably harder way than 96 got to 23.

The first Wade team had a better record than the second, they just didn't go as far. I was also including the 07-08 team as they got up to 8th in the country and had a better record than 96 in the best conference in history. So those two and the FF team are the three I was talking about.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2017, 03:35:57 PM »

That team was a four seed and hot as blazes going into the NCAA.  Only games they lost toward the end of the year was at St. Louis (bad loss), and a UC team in the CUSA championship game in overtime.  That UC team went to the E8 that year.  In the semis, they crushed a ranked Memphis team on their home court.

They cruised to an easy first round win then got upset by Arkansas which I had a sinking feeling would happen.  (That Arkansas team beat a #5 and Big Ten champion Penn State team in the first round.  I was praying for Penn State to win that game.)

That was a good Marquette team.

Wait, in basketball??
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2017, 03:58:24 PM »

I'm assuming you meant 2010-2011. That team went further in the tournament but was an 11 seed and one of the last teams in.

The 2011-12 team was Buzz's best team, in my opinion even though the 2012-13 team went further int he tournament.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »
I'm assuming you meant 2010-2011. That team went further in the tournament but was an 11 seed and one of the last teams in.

Yes sorry.  That's exactly what I meant.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2017, 07:33:53 PM »

They were a 4 seed and for a reason, really good team.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2017, 07:34:59 PM »
I'm not sure about that play but it was Faisel Abraham who was called for the foul on Shawn Smith (64% or so FT shooter) with .7 seconds left. We were 6 of 16 from the line in that game and led by 10 in the second half.

We were so ready go to go the Lake too.  :(

Different play in the game

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2017, 07:57:39 PM »
They were a 4 seed and for a reason, really good team.

I'm not arguing that they'd be good. But I'm arguing that they weren't one of the best teams in the last 25 years. But here's a fun drill, I've listed the 7 teams I argued at were better for sure. Tell me which of there you'd say the 96 team was better than that would move them from middle of the pack to one of the better teams.

96: 23-8

94: 24-9

02: 26-7

03: 27-6

08: 25-10

09: 25-10

12: 27-8

13: 26-9
Maigh Eo for Sam