[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Mike Deane Retrospective  (Read 28363 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: Mike Deane Retrospective
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2017, 07:58:08 AM »
No, it's not. It's a story on a sports message board in a thread about an old coach who was renowned for drunkenness and bad behavior. And, according to two other people on here, and those I personally know that heard it, Deane said it.

You want to pass judgment, pass it on "Dirty Mike Deane."

Umm his name was Dirty Mikey, not Dirty Mike Deane.  I mean the internet police are out so we have to keep our facts straight.   ;)
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2017, 11:12:58 AM »
Plus, I failed to mention that one of the people I heard it from was the girl (who was and 20+ years later is still very cute) Deane said it to at Hegartys.
We Are Marquette

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2017, 02:14:57 PM »
From page 105:

"I still believe that somewhere down the road, maybe not before my career is over, there is a Catholic School League that is going to evolve. That's going to include Midwestern schools like DePaul, Marquette, St. Louis, Xavier with the non football-playing Eastern schools like Villanova, St. Johns and Georgetown."

It is kind of crazy that Deane predicted (what would become) the new Big East. 

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2017, 05:19:13 PM »
From page 105:

"I still believe that somewhere down the road, maybe not before my career is over, there is a Catholic School League that is going to evolve. That's going to include Midwestern schools like DePaul, Marquette, St. Louis, Xavier with the non football-playing Eastern schools like Villanova, St. Johns and Georgetown."

It is kind of crazy that Deane predicted (what would become) the new Big East.

Now the thread is good for another 10 pages on whether St. Louis should join the Big East.  Thanks a lot.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2017, 05:22:38 PM »
Now the thread is good for another 10 pages on whether St. Louis should join the Big East.  Thanks a lot.

To be fair, back when Deane wrote this SLU was a better choice than Butler.  Now?  Not so much.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2017, 06:07:23 PM »
I would've liked to see Deanes defense on that statement that we "should be happy to just make the tournament" nowadays.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2017, 09:09:01 AM »
I would've liked to see Deanes defense on that statement that we "should be happy to just make the tournament" nowadays.

Context is always good.  Remember that when Mike Deane said that he was working in the 1212 Building and practicing at the Old Gym.  We were probably Top 75 in basketball operating budget.  Now we're Top 5.  What Mike did was wake up the Admin to realize our current path wasn't going to yield '77 results.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2017, 09:12:30 AM »
Context is always good.  Remember that when Mike Deane said that he was working in the 1212 Building and practicing at the Old Gym.  We were probably Top 75 in basketball operating budget.  Now we're Top 5.  What Mike did was wake up the Admin to realize our current path wasn't going to yield '77 results.

You are giving him way too much credit.  Marquette was already digging itself out of its '77 malaise with O'Neill and Cords and knew the path it had to take.  It had positioned itself in a very good basketball conference and already started the plans to build the Al.

Deane said this purely to set the sights lower for his own benefit. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2017, 04:19:21 PM »
Deane has been announced by MU as a panelist for the 100 year dinner in June.  That's kind of amazing.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2017, 04:33:42 PM »
Deane has been announced by MU as a panelist for the 100 year dinner in June.  That's kind of amazing.

Please someone ask him about the just be happy to make the tournament quote.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2017, 07:13:30 AM »
Please someone ask him about the just be happy to make the tournament quote.
Ironically in the same year we were just happy to make the tournament.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2017, 09:55:06 AM »
I always am surprised at the kudo's that are thrown towards Bill Cords. There is a great deal of back story to the KO hiring and Cords had little to idea of what was going on. KO hiring was largely due to a group of former player and alumni that worked behind the scenes. It kind of was like when the Baltimore Colts bolted to Indy. One day Bill woke up and KO was going to be the coach.

I have nothing against Bill, even when he became AD at my kid's school, and feel he was a good man. Kind of reminds of me of Hank, a good man that maybe was misplaced in a role.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2017, 10:35:38 AM »
I always am surprised at the kudo's that are thrown towards Bill Cords. There is a great deal of back story to the KO hiring and Cords had little to idea of what was going on. KO hiring was largely due to a group of former player and alumni that worked behind the scenes. It kind of was like when the Baltimore Colts bolted to Indy. One day Bill woke up and KO was going to be the coach.

I have nothing against Bill, even when he became AD at my kid's school, and feel he was a good man. Kind of reminds of me of Hank, a good man that maybe was misplaced in a role.
Never heard that KO hiring story.  Cords did a good job of hiring Tom Crean, getting The Al built and getting MU into the BE.  His big issue was that he was not a good public communicator. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2017, 01:08:01 PM »
Never heard that KO hiring story.  Cords did a good job of hiring Tom Crean, getting The Al built and getting MU into the BE.  His big issue was that he was not a good public communicator.
Cords did a good job overall for MU. He understood all the intracies of college athletics that the average fan is not aware of.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback