[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Will Froling's Friend be a Walkon?  (Read 7261 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Will Froling's Bro be a Walkon?
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 08:26:24 PM »
Even a full tuition scholarship leaves an awful lot for someone to pay.  I've seen figures suggesting that it would be in the neighborhood of $14k per year at Marquette.  I'm sure someone posting on this board could give an accurate number.  So, even at that extremely high level of scholarship, the difference between academic and athletic scholarship is in the neighborhood of $60k over the student's four years.  Even if they have the finances to pay the difference, I don't think that there are too many families out there who have a kid who merits a full ride who are going to want to walk on and pay the difference.

And, in addition to meeting the NCAA's criteria, I think they probably get scrutinized to make sure that the athlete is comparable to others receiving the scholarship. I'm pretty sure that there is an NCAA regulation that says that the academic aid must be available to others with comparable resume.  In other words, if a 3.5 GPA and 1200 SAT wouldn't merit a scholarship for a non-athlete, it can't be offered to an athlete.  Does anyone know what it takes to get a full tuition scholarship at MU?  I'd venture it's a hell of a lot higher than 3.5/1200.  On this issue, has anyone ever noticed that Alabama has generous academic scholarships for out-of-state students based on grades -- starting at 3.5 and 1210?  Coincidence?

Also, if he's got the academic resume to justify it, it's quite possible that Howard is getting an academic scholarship.  The team can save money from it's budget if the players get academic scholarships to supplement the athletic scholarship.  I'm pretty sure that if a player gets a $10k academic scholarship, that is just $10k that won't hit the BB budget.
As far as I know there are no full tuition scholarships at MU. If there was one we could have given it to Markus.

The NCAA rule  above relates to academic scholarships in partial scholarship sports. They are called stackable scholarships in that you can put an academic award on top of an athletic award if you hit that hurdle.

There is another caveat though, in that the academic award has to be awarded purely for academics and cannot take into account things like leadership etc.  I have seen circumstances where athletes qualified for the more general scholarship and was told they could only take the athletic .

Another rule is that Football and Basketball cannot hide players on other sports scholarships. That is why Wally Ellenson could not play basketball if he accepted the full ride track scholarship that last year. This rule was put in place because Florida State and others were  putting football players on track scholarships.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »
Have some patience, FFS.

WarriorPride68

• All American
Re: Will Froling's Friend be a Walkon?
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 08:53:22 PM »
I too wonder if he is planning to walk on.

His twitter post said he tore an ACL recently, but a quick google search shows that he didn't exactly tear up HS hoops.  Assuming its the same guy, link I found showed he averaged 1.5 PPG as a junior in 13 GP.

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Will Froling's Friend be a Walkon?
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 09:06:49 PM »
MU Fan In NY's mind is so crap in certain ways. It's shocking. Hopefully he's got a warriorchick or me boxing his a$$ into shape. Good grief.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 09:11:35 PM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 09:12:55 PM »
I meant there were no easy full ride scholarships .

Nice revisionist history there.....

By the way there are never any easy full ride scholarships, academic or otherwise.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 09:23:15 PM »
I meant there were no easy full ride scholarships .

Do these have any relation to easy rebounds?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 10:27:43 PM »
Think probably has to do with neck size
Goal is National Championship

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 10:30:08 PM »
Yes.
                       ---Al McGuire