[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Markus Howard's Letter to Jim McIlvaine  (Read 8856 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Markus Howard's Letter to Jim McIlvaine
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 09:17:27 AM »
Ahhh The soon to be extinct art of the hand written thank you letter.

There is a very nice sharing and warmth to personally hand written notes. As a kid I thought it was kind of silly that my mom always had us write thank you notes for gifts we received. 

I will admit to a tearful moment however when among my grandmother's belongings at her death we found a ribbon wrapped stack of every thank you note we ever wrote. When my mom passed last year I found as with grandma, she saved every letter I wrote her while I was at Univ of Madrid, and traveling through Europe.

texting...emailing....quick/easy but impersonal..next time you hope to touch a heart send a handwritten note

Good job Marcus

Great post.

My kids are "required" to write Thank You notes within a week of their birthday, Christmas, Easter, whatever the occasion. My grandparents saved my notes, I know that my parents have all of the notes (and birthday cards) saved from their grandkids and I'm sure my wife and I will do the same some day.

On the contrary, a couple years ago my then-pregnant wife and I flew to Pennsylvania with our then 3 children for our nephew's 7th birthday. We had a nice long summer weekend with the wife's side of the family. About a month after we returned, we got a Thank You note in the mail that was a pre-printed card (like a family Christmas card) with a picture of our nephew on it and the words printed: "Thank you for the birthday gift!" and his name. No personalized message, no hand-written name, nothing. That still annoys me to this day. Maybe I'm just a 36yo grumpy old man but sending a mass-produced, non-personalized photo to people who spent time, money, effort and PTO to see you on your birthday does not count as a Thank You note. I obviously don't blame the kid but come on, parents! You're better than that!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 02:12:12 PM »
Great post.

My kids are "required" to write Thank You notes within a week of their birthday, Christmas, Easter, whatever the occasion. My grandparents saved my notes, I know that my parents have all of the notes (and birthday cards) saved from their grandkids and I'm sure my wife and I will do the same some day.

Ditto!

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 10:02:42 PM »
Ahhh The soon to be extinct art of the hand written thank you letter.

There is a very nice sharing and warmth to personally hand written notes. As a kid I thought it was kind of silly that my mom always had us write thank you notes for gifts we received. 

I will admit to a tearful moment however when among my grandmother's belongings at her death we found a ribbon wrapped stack of every thank you note we ever wrote. When my mom passed last year I found as with grandma, she saved every letter I wrote her while I was at Univ of Madrid, and traveling through Europe.

texting...emailing....quick/easy but impersonal..next time you hope to touch a heart send a handwritten note

Good job Marcus

I have a drawer full of handwritten thank you letters from my students.  I will cherish them forever. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 08:04:52 AM »
i was taught to eliminate the my teammates and insert the pronoun me or i to check for the proper form.  so in this case, "i wanted to send a letter on behalf of me doesn't quite work either.  in my opinion then, i guess i would re-word the entire first sentence if i had a doubt.  i do however, see how one could fack this up, but it never really crossed my mind too much.  for all intents and purposes, i  approve this message

I'd have gone with "on behalf of the team" which by definition includes Markus and removes the need for me or I.

Anyway, nice gesture.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:06:32 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 02:28:45 PM »
Might be appropriate to give Wojo some credit for the gesture

https://twitter.com/mikebroeker/status/856866311141511181

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »
I find it to be a huge oversight that the greater scoop community has not received a handwritten thank you for all the work we put into this last season. We all know Wojo would have been lost without us. Plus, we all know that the mods use our membership fees to pay for the fuel on that private plane.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.