[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Star wars: The Last Jedi  (Read 11904 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Star wars: The Last Jedi
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 11:44:28 AM »
A few more things... I think TLJ director put some things in the trailer to throw us off. I think there's a lot of editing done with audio and video to make things seem like they're back to back when they may not be - such as Kylo extending a hand, apparently to Rey.

As for Luke's statement about being afraid of someone's power... that can only be so many people. He's seen few with force abilities: Darth Vader (dead), Obi Wan (dead), Palpatine (presumed dead), Kylo, Yoda (dead). Of those, the "bad" guys were Palpatine and Kylo. At no point did it really seem as though he underestimated or changed his viewpoint on Palpatine's powers. So, it has to be Kylo, right?

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 12:21:07 PM »
Yeah i think it's assumed to be Kylo, just because of the personal ineraction with Kylo (Ben Solo) as Luke was supposed to have trained him to be a Jedi.   And if you watch the trailer again, as Luke is saying "I've seen this raw strength only once before" it cuts to the scene where Kylo presumably turns on Luke.   This could be smoke, but I am guessing they are trying to imply that it's Kylo.   As for the scene with Kylo extending his hand to Rey, I think the same thing is at play here.   It may be different scenes cut together, but it certainly looks like the same location and regardless, the implication is that Rey is "lost" and is flirting with the dark side for guidance.    Doesn't seem like a red herring to me.   Communism was just a red herring. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 12:23:10 PM »
It is going to be darker.    I think the crucial line was, and I am paraphrasing, this isn't going to turn out the way you think.    I enjoyed the trailer and am looking forward to the movie, but I just have a feeling that a lot of red herrings were tossed out there and the trailer was edited to make you think in one direction, while the movie goes in a slightly different direction.

This totally.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »
A few more things... I think TLJ director put some things in the trailer to throw us off. I think there's a lot of editing done with audio and video to make things seem like they're back to back when they may not be - such as Kylo extending a hand, apparently to Rey.

As for Luke's statement about being afraid of someone's power... that can only be so many people. He's seen few with force abilities: Darth Vader (dead), Obi Wan (dead), Palpatine (presumed dead), Kylo, Yoda (dead). Of those, the "bad" guys were Palpatine and Kylo. At no point did it really seem as though he underestimated or changed his viewpoint on Palpatine's powers. So, it has to be Kylo, right?

If you go back to RotJ, you make the assumption that Luke vastly under estimated what the Emperor was capable of. In fact, the only reason he lived is because Anakin fulfilled his destiny as the chosen one (destroying the Sith). This could also refer to his rushing out to face Vader in Empire.

I also think there is a large amount of misdirect in the trailer.....I don't think Rey and Kylo are talking to each other, I don't think Kylo is threatening to destroy Leia's ship, etc.

One other thing, we still haven't seen any footage of the new characters (Del Toro, Dern, Tran, etc) in any of the trailers. It will be interesting to see how much impact they have on the story line. 
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 02:39:09 PM »
If you go back to RotJ, you make the assumption that Luke vastly under estimated what the Emperor was capable of. In fact, the only reason he lived is because Anakin fulfilled his destiny as the chosen one (destroying the Sith). This could also refer to his rushing out to face Vader in Empire.

I think this is right (Luke rushing out to face Vader in Empire). Maybe this is a stupid, non-canon rationale, but I don't see Adam Driver's Kylo as the ultimate, unambiguous antagonist in this whole trilogy, and I don't think that's what Luke is referring to. Kylo's internal conflict vis-a-vis his parents and the force in each of his major scenes, yet the lack of time to actually develop him as a character and his influences that led him to the dark side (other than general angst reminiscent of his Girls character), indicates to me that he's more Obi Wan than Emperor/Annakin/Luke in terms of the trilogy's focus and importance. That's what made the teaser on turning Rey so interesting to me, in that she seems more positioned to play that type of role than Kylo.

::I acknowledge I'm far from the most knowledgeable about material other than the core films so far, so I will likely be corrected based on how Kylo is portrayed in other canon material.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 03:02:30 PM »
::I acknowledge I'm far from the most knowledgeable about material other than the core films so far, so I will likely be corrected based on how Kylo is portrayed in other canon material.

I struggle with the new canon as well. I had read every "Legacy" book there was right up until the craptacular New Jedi Order series came out. All of the X-Wing and Wraith Squadron stuff, obvi the Thrawn trilogy, etc. However, I started that when I was a teenager with seemingly infinite time on my hands. Now, I watch the movies and Rebels, and get an occasional book (just order the from a Certain Point of View book which I hear is great). So there is all this new canon that I just don't have the time to absorb and I'm worried I'm missing out.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 03:35:19 PM »
This totally.

I'll jump on board with this, too.  Misdirection, left fielders playing very deep at all three OF positions, cats and dogs living together, etc.  Not to mention the very dark darkness about to be bestowed upon the Star Wars universe.  Rian Johnson is the perfect ringleader for the task.  As Breaking Bad fans will recall, both the darkest/unexpected (Ozymandias) and most unorthodox (Fly) episodes of the entire series were directed by Johnson.  This isn't going to go the way we think?  I'll offer that I don't believe any of us could possibly think of the way this is going to go.

That said, I'll stick with my earlier theory and/or prediction that was in the Force Awakens thread.  I think it was something to do with Anakin reincarnating as Rey or something.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 03:51:20 PM »
I'll jump on board with this, too.  Misdirection, left fielders playing very deep at all three OF positions, cats and dogs living together, etc.  Not to mention the very dark darkness about to be bestowed upon the Star Wars universe.  Rian Johnson is the perfect ringleader for the task.  As Breaking Bad fans will recall, both the darkest/unexpected (Ozymandias) and most unorthodox (Fly) episodes of the entire series were directed by Johnson.  This isn't going to go the way we think?  I'll offer that I don't believe any of us could possibly think of the way this is going to go.

That said, I'll stick with my earlier theory and/or prediction that was in the Force Awakens thread.  I think it was something to do with Anakin reincarnating as Rey or something.

While I agree with everything you said, and welcome the darkness (insert John Williams cover of The Sound of Silence) the big concern I have with that is JJ being able to land the plane in IX. I don't think JJ can drink coffee(cause, ya know, he's not a closer). I'd feel way better if JJ was doing the Han Solo stand alone and Ron Howard had been brought on to close out the ST.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 04:22:45 PM »
I will say, Abrams doing IX has me a little concerned as well.  At least he's only co-writing the script.  If IX fizzles, it'll be as big of a let down as TPM.

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 09:38:40 AM »
Why does everybody believe Rey could potentially turn to the dark? I believe that last frame indicates Kylo Ren will turn toward the light.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2017, 09:48:33 AM »
Why does everybody believe Rey could potentially turn to the dark? I believe that last frame indicates Kylo Ren will turn toward the light.

I think it’s an interesting idea. Also could mean then that the title refers to Kyle as the last Jedi and then ties that with Luke’s line saying it’s time for the Jedi to end in the original trailer.
Maigh Eo for Sam

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2017, 10:52:22 AM »
I think it’s an interesting idea. Also could mean then that the title refers to Kyle as the last Jedi and then ties that with Luke’s line saying it’s time for the Jedi to end in the original trailer.

I agree.
Especially because they would never have an Irish dark side Jedi, so Kyle O'Ren must be redeemable.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2017, 11:18:22 AM »

This would fit in nicely with my theme of Anakin (the Rick to Kylo's Morty) reincarnating as Rey.  Which would explain that "thing" between them.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2017, 02:17:05 PM »

I think Rey has to fall because ultimately in IX the Jedi and Sith are largely replaced by some new order(Grey Jedi or Bendu Jedi) who don't deny their emotional aspects.i think she and Kylo redeem themselves as greys....they find a middle path

I think Luke has found that the Jedi twisted the truth as much as the Sith so both orders must end

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2017, 03:55:31 PM »
I think Rey has to fall because ultimately in IX the Jedi and Sith are largely replaced by some new order(Grey Jedi or Bendu Jedi) who don't deny their emotional aspects.i think she and Kylo redeem themselves as greys....they find a middle path

I think Luke has found that the Jedi twisted the truth as much as the Sith so both orders must end

This is where my head is at as well.

The movie title refers to the singular form of Jedi. And Luke is the last one.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2017, 10:13:28 AM »
    I enjoyed the trailer and am looking forward to the movie, but I just have a feeling that a lot of red herrings were tossed out there and the trailer was edited to make you think in one direction, while the movie goes in a slightly different direction.

You know, I'm starting to wonder if TFA was full of red herrings.  The big questions from TWA may have answers of little significance while the big reveals are things no one is even thinking about.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2017, 06:16:25 AM »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2017, 02:05:31 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/starwars/status/925904402031898624?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fstarwars%2Fstatus%2F925904402031898624

Luke's in the Falcon! And the radar gets blown off again.

How great is the R2 and Luke reunion going be?

I missed the radar getting blown off in that trailer, go catch.

I don't think it's a mislead edit that Rey is standing over Luke when he says this isn't going to go how you think....interesting that it's in the trailer and the speculation it evokes.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2017, 03:41:25 PM »
I missed the radar getting blown off in that trailer, go catch.

I don't think it's a mislead edit that Rey is standing over Luke when he says this isn't going to go how you think....interesting that it's in the trailer and the speculation it evokes.

I would guess it's a dream or part of her training.

If empire came out this year, the trailer would glimpse Luke's encounter with Vader on degobah

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2017, 03:42:42 PM »
I would guess it's a dream or part of her training.

If empire came out this year, the trailer would glimpse Luke's encounter with Vader on degobah

I'm guessing they are discussing Rey's desire to go after Snoke and they ultimately are caught. Story arc.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2017, 10:30:03 AM »
Judging from the social media reactions of those who saw the world premiere, it is very, very good.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2017, 10:37:57 AM »
Judging from the social media reactions of those who saw the world premiere, it is very, very good.   

Was thinking the same thing.  Haven't seen a single person say they disliked it, or were hoping for more, or that it "simply met expectations."

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I'm hooked on seeing this thing early (if for no other reason than to prevent myself from being a spoilee).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2017, 10:43:47 AM »
I probably won't see it before Christmas break.   I doubt I will be able to avoid the spoilers that long.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2017, 11:08:37 AM »
I've got tix for IMAX on Saturday morning.

I'll be sure to provide a full synopsis including spoilers, just for you guys.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2017, 11:11:29 AM »
Fully torqued after the Twitter reactions. Hopefully see if after the weekend, Monday mid-day sounds ideal.