Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Ultimate success then futility? Or always the bridesmaid but never the bride?

National Championship then Nothing
53 (32.7%)
Consistent Success but no National Championship
109 (67.3%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Author Topic: Deal with the Devil  (Read 11128 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Deal with the Devil
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2017, 09:12:08 AM »
Poor analogy, Zar. I love my wife and I get to experience that love every moment I'm with her. It's like winning a national championship EVERY year!

Da wife is looking over your shoulder as you post, ai-na?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2017, 11:05:56 AM »
Didn't any of you see "Constantine?!"  It's a really bad movie, but it demonstrated that the only way to beat the Devil is through sacrifice...

So, the deal was that MU wins a championship and will not win another "as long as you're alive." So, take the championship...look the Devil in the eye, flip him off and step off the curb in front of a bus.

Literally taking one for the team.

Hey, how about a spoiler alert!
Have some patience, FFS.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2017, 11:45:17 AM »
No deal.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2017, 12:18:20 PM »
90? For realz? There has got to be a Scoop Award for that.
I apologize for the hyperbole. My point is that the answer is age dependent. Actually 72 though so keep off my lawn!

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
As a purely philosophical question, the answer is easy for me.
I would take sustained success with no possibility of a natty. I don't think it would be hard for me to recalibrate personal expectations so that a FF would equal a natty.

As a matter of practicality, the answer is easy for me.
I would take the natty next year. Drop a few hundred G's on Marquette at 100-1 or 80-1 at the start of the season, and you can have one hell of a championship party. You might even have enough left over to buy MU a football team  ;)
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

muguru

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2017, 06:39:28 AM »
There are a couple things I'd want to know before truly answering this...how good is Wisconsin going to be during this stretch after MU won the Natty and never made it back to the tourney again?? Yes, that matters...it matters a lot to me. If they are going to be really good, go to the tourney every year etc...then I might have a hard time saying win the Natty and then nothing. If however, UW will go back to being it's normal irrelevant self(like they were before 2000), then I will take the national champ, say F you to every arrogant badger dbag I encounter(and that's a lot), and bask in the glow until I die.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2017, 06:54:22 AM »
Truly, this is an age-related problem. It's been 40 years since our last one, and according to the government and their formula for minimum required distributions I don't have that many years left. I'll take a championship any day!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2017, 09:03:22 AM »
This is one of the most ridiculous questions yet in Scoop. I refuse to vote.

Look, we have only one national championship. I get it.

But the purpose of everything we do is to work for the second, third and fourth one. We may not get there next year, but being a national power with a competitive shot at being number 1 is what we strive to be. At Marquette, winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is -- hence win every day!

Look, even this year I held out hope, albeit small, that we could win and win some more until it was us facing some elite program on Monday night. Didn't happen but I refuse to give up hope. That"s a fan.

So yes, I expect one national championship more beforetheLord comes a calling. Two, three or four would be wonderful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2017, 09:06:39 AM »
This is one of the most ridiculous questions yet in Scoop. I refuse to vote.

Devil is a wily SOB. Refuse to choose and he dooms Marquette to Depaul status just for the hell of it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2017, 09:31:26 AM »
When I  first saw this, I thought it was a ridiculous choice, but I actually have enjoyed thinking about it some. I posed the question to my MU alum wife and my MU fan son and they struggled with it, too.

I think I've settled on sustained success because striving to be great is what it's all about. Besides, there is always a chance that we'll be especially great one year - we'll tell the devil to go to hell and win the effen title anyway, just as Shoeless Joe from Hannibal, Mo. was able to prevail in Damn Yankees!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback