'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by tower912
[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Ultimate success then futility? Or always the bridesmaid but never the bride?

National Championship then Nothing
53 (32.7%)
Consistent Success but no National Championship
109 (67.3%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Author Topic: Deal with the Devil  (Read 11129 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Deal with the Devil
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 12:21:20 PM »
Thats a non-sequitor for the argument presented unless you mean you would just marry the girl and she dies the next day or you get divorced the next day.

So once a championship is won, it's gone forever?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 12:25:34 PM »
But as of this writing, the voting is tied.....so which option is the no brainer?

I am a Majority of One. In my opinion it's a No Brainer.    Living in the past verses Now and the Future.  I'm not comfortable being a Historian, and the story never changes.  Boring!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 12:26:19 PM »
No, you still have the memory and satisfaction which is forever.  If you marry that dream girl and get divorced the next day, that's just a one night stand.  That's just a bad memory with no future chances.

AverageJoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »
Devil orders a Bud Light?  I think he'd go with something stronger...

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2017, 12:42:44 PM »

Only if you are North Carolina.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2017, 12:47:41 PM »
Finish my Bud Light and say no thanks.  The while point of watching sports is that we don't know the outcome so I'd rather leave it to chance and have a clear conscience, even though the devil's version of consistent success is probably better than the reality.  In any case I've never negotiated with the devil but I'm guessing he usually expects more in return (e.g., your soul, your first born, etc.).

Agreed, which is why the provision about picking neither leads to Marquette becoming Depaul with no championship was added. He's a wily SOB that devil
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 12:51:33 PM »
Devil orders a Bud Light?  I think he'd go with something stronger...

I just assumed that is the swill they serve at bars in hell
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 12:54:34 PM »
If the choices are winning a championship next year, and then DePaul from then on..

OR

Never winning a championship but being a consistent NCAA team.  (For example, like Wisconsin's past decade.)

I take the latter every single time.  I don't want to be a miserable fan always looking at the past. 

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 12:59:50 PM »
Are we sure we can count on the devil?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 02:11:19 PM »
Easily the title for me.  Imagine being a Packer fan the last 25 years if there were zero Super Bowl wins between Favre and Rodgers. Not many are satisfied with just two. Imagine the frustration level of always being right there but coming up short.

One title in my lifetime and the rest is gravy. I was born in 1980, so I respect the old timers that were around for 1977.  I can understand them opting for sustained success. But a Marquette NC is on my sports bucket list.

Zar, you're simply too young to remember Packer futility for almost 30 years.  I remember the 1989 season like it was yesterday.  The Pack was right on the brink of the playoffs for the first time in memory (except for the strike year).  Christmas night all we needed was for the Viqueens to lose on a nationally televised game.  They didn't.  And I was almost overcome thinking that it would never happen for my team again.  And just a few years later, Favre hits Sterling in the endzone on a last second hail Mary. THAT felt like the Superbowl, but was only a stupid Wild card game.  No matta.

I tell my kids all the time that they are so spoiled because the Packers have been one of the best teams during their entire freakin' lifetime.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 02:13:34 PM »
I am shocked at the number of people who voted for the National Championship.

To me that is the same as giving a young single guy the choice of :  A) Having an active dating life with many attractive women or B) having a glorious one-night stand with the most beautiful woman in the world, but never getting laid again, and choosing B.

It don't matta 'cuz Kate's gonna kill most dudes durin' dat 10 second stand, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »
National title then nothing. I was too young to remember 1977 (one month old) and want that one title before I die. I'd take the title, and that way it would be easier to eventually move out of Wisconsin.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »
Zar, you're simply too young to remember Packer futility for almost 30 years.  I remember the 1989 season like it was yesterday.  The Pack was right on the brink of the playoffs for the first time in memory (except for the strike year).  Christmas night all we needed was for the Viqueens to lose on a nationally televised game.  They didn't.  And I was almost overcome thinking that it would never happen for my team again.  And just a few years later, Favre hits Sterling in the endzone on a last second hail Mary. THAT felt like the Superbowl, but was only a stupid Wild card game.  No matta.

I tell my kids all the time that they are so spoiled because the Packers have been one of the best teams during their entire freakin' lifetime.

I am just old enough to remember the tail end of the bad Packers, including that Christmas night game between the Vikings and Bengals. I remember ABC cutting back and forth between the Packers and Steelers watching the game on TV. Four teams had their playoff fates on the line.

But point taken. My Packer fandom has largely seen success.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2017, 03:46:04 PM »
I am just old enough to remember the tail end of the bad Packers, including that Christmas night game between the Vikings and Bengals. I remember ABC cutting back and forth between the Packers and Steelers watching the game on TV. Four teams had their playoff fates on the line.

But point taken. My Packer fandom has largely seen success.

I'm just old enough to remember the Ice Bowl and to pretend to be Paul Hornung in the backyard.  All good.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2017, 04:20:22 PM »
If it's me i go for the consistency.  Being bad for 3 years sucks, going into every season knowing you have no chance (not because of the Devil but because you are Cleveland Brown's like in your management of the team) is too painful.

if it's you I hope you pick the National Title then we can Scoopfund an assassin around Memorial Day.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2017, 04:31:36 PM »
Finish my Bud Light and say no thanks.  The whole point of watching sports is that we don't know the outcome so I'd rather leave it to chance and have a clear conscience, even though the devil's version of consistent success is probably better than the reality.  In any case I've never negotiated with the devil but I'm guessing he usually expects more in return (e.g., your soul, your first born, etc.).

Say no to the Bud Light Devil, and you might end up dead in an Auto Zone parking lot.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2017, 04:36:49 PM »
Say no to the Bud Light Devil, and you might end up dead in an Auto Zone parking lot.

Well done.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2017, 04:37:20 PM »
I think the devil already has an exclusive contract with Duke. In the fine print it allows for UNC to win a NC every now and then. That is why they call him the (baby) blue Devil.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2017, 09:45:22 PM »
Easy answer for me.

You offering first born or first love, or both?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2017, 05:54:57 AM »
And in all honesty, I'd prefer neither of the above. As a fan, it would sap all the meaning knowing you would win the title, and take all the fun out of it. Similarly, it would take the fun out of every season knowing you had no chance to win.

I suppose that's why it's better to not make deals with devils. At the end of the day, they are lose-lose.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2017, 07:09:03 AM »
I think of the 70s without a title and MU would be remembered as "having a good run" or doing "pretty well" during that decade.

I love seeing Bo put his head through that hoop every time I see it. #1.
National Champs. Forever. No brainer.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2017, 08:03:25 AM »
You're sitting at your local watering hole. Marquette just lost its last game of the season and the long offseason is about to begin. You find yourself wishing that you could see just one more Marquette national championship before you die. That's all you want. Suddenly, the devil appears next to you, orders a Bud Light, and makes you an offer. He will guarantee that Marquette will win the National Championship next season. However, as long you are alive, they will never make another postseason. They will become the new Depaul, the sleeping giant in the Big East that won't wake up until you die.

You're not sure and pause. He then offers a second deal. He can guarantee that Marquette makes the postseason every season for as long as you are alive. They'll have occasional appearances in the second weekend and even a final four appearance here and there. But they will NEVER win a national championship so long as you are alive. Marquette would essentially become Gonzaga (or Wisconsin), always playing in March, sometimes getting close to a championship but never bringing it home.

Which do you choose? If you don't pick the national championship, how many years of irrelevancy would you be willing to take in order to win it all? If you don't make a choice, the devil says he will turn Marquette into Depaul just for the hell of it.

This question got posed to me the other day, thought I'd share it on here. This is purely a philosophical question on how much a national championship is worth to you as a fan. Deal with the devil is not symbolism for something else. The literal devil is literally offering to make you a deal.
   I'm 90 so door number 1!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2017, 08:20:43 AM »
90? For realz? There has got to be a Scoop Award for that.

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2017, 08:29:39 AM »
Didn't any of you see "Constantine?!"  It's a really bad movie, but it demonstrated that the only way to beat the Devil is through sacrifice...

So, the deal was that MU wins a championship and will not win another "as long as you're alive." So, take the championship...look the Devil in the eye, flip him off and step off the curb in front of a bus.

Literally taking one for the team.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
Totally different scenario. I can always rewatch a copy of the title game to relive the experience.

I think a better analogy is a) lots of dating= sustained success, b) marriage = one national championship. I choose b, which also involves never getting laid again

Poor analogy, Zar. I love my wife and I get to experience that love every moment I'm with her. It's like winning a national championship EVERY year!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson