[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Ultimate success then futility? Or always the bridesmaid but never the bride?

National Championship then Nothing
53 (32.7%)
Consistent Success but no National Championship
109 (67.3%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Author Topic: Deal with the Devil  (Read 11292 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Deal with the Devil
« on: April 13, 2017, 09:58:10 AM »
You're sitting at your local watering hole. Marquette just lost its last game of the season and the long offseason is about to begin. You find yourself wishing that you could see just one more Marquette national championship before you die. That's all you want. Suddenly, the devil appears next to you, orders a Bud Light, and makes you an offer. He will guarantee that Marquette will win the National Championship next season. However, as long you are alive, they will never make another postseason. They will become the new Depaul, the sleeping giant in the Big East that won't wake up until you die.

You're not sure and pause. He then offers a second deal. He can guarantee that Marquette makes the postseason every season for as long as you are alive. They'll have occasional appearances in the second weekend and even a final four appearance here and there. But they will NEVER win a national championship so long as you are alive. Marquette would essentially become Gonzaga (or Wisconsin), always playing in March, sometimes getting close to a championship but never bringing it home.

Which do you choose? If you don't pick the national championship, how many years of irrelevancy would you be willing to take in order to win it all? If you don't make a choice, the devil says he will turn Marquette into Depaul just for the hell of it.

This question got posed to me the other day, thought I'd share it on here. This is purely a philosophical question on how much a national championship is worth to you as a fan. Deal with the devil is not symbolism for something else. The literal devil is literally offering to make you a deal.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:16:10 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
Re: Deal with the Devil
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 10:00:08 AM »
Easy answer for me.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »
I'll take a lot of Sweet 16s, Elite 8s and Final 4s even without another NC.   

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 10:06:24 AM »
Easy answer for me.

Me Too, No Brainer!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 10:10:33 AM »
Take the title and run!

Here's the problem with this hypothetical...

If you pick the title, there's no point in paying attention to MU basketball after that because you know they'll always be bad. Why waste the time when you know the team will literally never turn it around?

If you pick the consistent contender, you know that, no matter how talented the team, they have zero chance to win the whole thing. Why waste the time? Isn't the whole point of cheering for a team the hope and dream that someday they'll win a title? Even if the team gets to the national title game, you would know they're going to lose. Perhaps you'd make big money betting against MU in Vegas, but other than that, why bother?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 10:17:49 AM »
Didn't we already make a deal with the (Blue) Devil a few off seasons ago?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 10:18:51 AM »
Consistent success all the way.  Playing the second weekend every year is far better than one magical run.

Plus, the devil will lose track of this deal eventually and we'd sneak a title in. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 10:19:18 AM »
Easy answer for me.

Me Too, No Brainer!

But as of this writing, the voting is tied.....so which option is the no brainer?
TAMU

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »
But as of this writing, the voting is tied.....so which option is the no brainer?

The right answer is the no brainer, obviously.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 10:22:48 AM »
I chose consistent success.  Of course I enjoyed 1977.  But I've enjoyed plenty of Marquette basketball since then.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 10:33:05 AM »
Good thing we'll never have to make this decision.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 10:45:38 AM »
It's more fun when they are consistently good, as we learned during our recent NCAA tourney dry spell. 

BlindboyPatSmith

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 10:53:06 AM »
I reckon it depends on how OLD I am when this proposition is made..for me...let's cut down those nets next year !!!   :D

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 11:00:54 AM »
We have a national title already and so that puts us in a nice category. We can find a million other ways to claim fame by being that team thats always in the FF or what not. Yes I'd love the national championship but at least without the national championship you can still cheer for us to make the second or third weekend
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 11:40:42 AM »
I am shocked at the number of people who voted for the National Championship.

To me that is the same as giving a young single guy the choice of :  A) Having an active dating life with many attractive women or B) having a glorious one-night stand with the most beautiful woman in the world, but never getting laid again, and choosing B.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 11:49:53 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 11:43:34 AM »
Finish my Bud Light and say no thanks.  The whole point of watching sports is that we don't know the outcome so I'd rather leave it to chance and have a clear conscience, even though the devil's version of consistent success is probably better than the reality.  In any case I've never negotiated with the devil but I'm guessing he usually expects more in return (e.g., your soul, your first born, etc.).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:02:48 PM by frozena pizza »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 11:44:11 AM »
Gimme a 'notha 'natty for 5-7 years of Wojo's 1st year type results. Fair trade.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 11:46:24 AM »

To me that is the same as giving a young single guy the choice of :  A) Having an active dating life with many attractive woman or B) having a glorious one-night stand with the most beautiful woman in the world, but never getting laid again, and choosing B.

Agreed.  Beauty is less important in the dark.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »
Easily the title for me.  Imagine being a Packer fan the last 25 years if there were zero Super Bowl wins between Favre and Rodgers. Not many are satisfied with just two. Imagine the frustration level of always being right there but coming up short.

One title in my lifetime and the rest is gravy. I was born in 1980, so I respect the old timers that were around for 1977.  I can understand them opting for sustained success. But a Marquette NC is on my sports bucket list.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 11:54:02 AM »
For me this also depends on how the national championship would come. Is it a dominant year where we win the Big East, lose 6 or less games, earn a 1 or 2 seed? Or do we get hot and win the tournament as an 8 seed?

I'd lean towards taking the national championship but only if it came in the first scenario. A frustrating season that ended with a 6 game hot streak would be less satisfying than a season where we were one of the best teams in the country all year.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 12:06:01 PM »
If only I had been a fan of a sports team for 41 of my 46 years on earth without a hint of a championship and than said team actually won a championship so I would know if that was enough to satisfy me...  Wait a minute...

At this point, one is enough.  No one can take it away from me and I fully enjoyed the run.  Of course, provided I live another 41 years, if you ask me in 2057 I might have a different answer.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 12:09:37 PM »

To me that is the same as giving a young single guy the choice of :  A) Having an active dating life with many attractive women or B) having a glorious one-night stand with the most beautiful woman in the world, but never getting laid again, and choosing B.

Totally different scenario. I can always rewatch a copy of the title game to relive the experience.

I think a better analogy is a) lots of dating= sustained success, b) marriage = one national championship. I choose b, which also involves never getting laid again

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »

Disagree. It's more like marrying your dream girl as opposed to dating a lot of different women who range from "meh" to "good enough." Quality > Quantity

Put another way: As a Cubs fan, I'd rather have 2016 and nothing else as opposed to a lifetime of 1984s and 2003s. No matter what happens from here on out, the 2016 Cubs season will live forever.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 12:15:34 PM »
Disagree. It's more like marrying your dream girl as opposed to dating a lot of different women who range from "meh" to "good enough." Quality > Quantity

Thats a non-sequitor for the argument presented unless you mean you would just marry the girl and she dies the next day or you get divorced the next day.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 12:19:22 PM »
You're sitting at your local watering hole. Marquette just lost its last game of the season and the long offseason is about to begin. You find yourself wishing that you could see just one more Marquette national championship before you die. That's all you want. Suddenly, the devil appears next to you, orders a Bud Light, and makes you an offer. He will guarantee that Marquette will win the National Championship next season. However, as long you are alive, they will never make another postseason. They will become the new Depaul, the sleeping giant in the Big East that won't wake up until you die.

You're not sure and pause. He then offers a second deal. He can guarantee that Marquette makes the postseason every season for as long as you are alive. They'll have occasional appearances in the second weekend and even a final four appearance here and there. But they will NEVER win a national championship so long as you are alive. Marquette would essentially become Gonzaga (or Wisconsin), always playing in March, sometimes getting close to a championship but never bringing it home.

Taking door # 1  but I'm 90.
Which do you choose? If you don't pick the national championship, how many years of irrelevancy would you be willing to take in order to win it all? If you don't make a choice, the devil says he will turn Marquette into Depaul just for the hell of it.

This question got posed to me the other day, thought I'd share it on here. This is purely a philosophical question on how much a national championship is worth to you as a fan. Deal with the devil is not symbolism for something else. The literal devil is literally offering to make you a deal.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 12:21:20 PM »
Thats a non-sequitor for the argument presented unless you mean you would just marry the girl and she dies the next day or you get divorced the next day.

So once a championship is won, it's gone forever?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 12:25:34 PM »

I am a Majority of One. In my opinion it's a No Brainer.    Living in the past verses Now and the Future.  I'm not comfortable being a Historian, and the story never changes.  Boring!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 12:26:19 PM »
No, you still have the memory and satisfaction which is forever.  If you marry that dream girl and get divorced the next day, that's just a one night stand.  That's just a bad memory with no future chances.

AverageJoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »
Devil orders a Bud Light?  I think he'd go with something stronger...

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2017, 12:42:44 PM »

Only if you are North Carolina.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2017, 12:47:41 PM »
Finish my Bud Light and say no thanks.  The while point of watching sports is that we don't know the outcome so I'd rather leave it to chance and have a clear conscience, even though the devil's version of consistent success is probably better than the reality.  In any case I've never negotiated with the devil but I'm guessing he usually expects more in return (e.g., your soul, your first born, etc.).

Agreed, which is why the provision about picking neither leads to Marquette becoming Depaul with no championship was added. He's a wily SOB that devil
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 12:51:33 PM »
Devil orders a Bud Light?  I think he'd go with something stronger...

I just assumed that is the swill they serve at bars in hell
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 12:54:34 PM »
If the choices are winning a championship next year, and then DePaul from then on..

OR

Never winning a championship but being a consistent NCAA team.  (For example, like Wisconsin's past decade.)

I take the latter every single time.  I don't want to be a miserable fan always looking at the past. 

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 12:59:50 PM »
Are we sure we can count on the devil?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 02:11:19 PM »
Easily the title for me.  Imagine being a Packer fan the last 25 years if there were zero Super Bowl wins between Favre and Rodgers. Not many are satisfied with just two. Imagine the frustration level of always being right there but coming up short.

One title in my lifetime and the rest is gravy. I was born in 1980, so I respect the old timers that were around for 1977.  I can understand them opting for sustained success. But a Marquette NC is on my sports bucket list.

Zar, you're simply too young to remember Packer futility for almost 30 years.  I remember the 1989 season like it was yesterday.  The Pack was right on the brink of the playoffs for the first time in memory (except for the strike year).  Christmas night all we needed was for the Viqueens to lose on a nationally televised game.  They didn't.  And I was almost overcome thinking that it would never happen for my team again.  And just a few years later, Favre hits Sterling in the endzone on a last second hail Mary. THAT felt like the Superbowl, but was only a stupid Wild card game.  No matta.

I tell my kids all the time that they are so spoiled because the Packers have been one of the best teams during their entire freakin' lifetime.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 02:13:34 PM »

It don't matta 'cuz Kate's gonna kill most dudes durin' dat 10 second stand, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »
National title then nothing. I was too young to remember 1977 (one month old) and want that one title before I die. I'd take the title, and that way it would be easier to eventually move out of Wisconsin.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »
Zar, you're simply too young to remember Packer futility for almost 30 years.  I remember the 1989 season like it was yesterday.  The Pack was right on the brink of the playoffs for the first time in memory (except for the strike year).  Christmas night all we needed was for the Viqueens to lose on a nationally televised game.  They didn't.  And I was almost overcome thinking that it would never happen for my team again.  And just a few years later, Favre hits Sterling in the endzone on a last second hail Mary. THAT felt like the Superbowl, but was only a stupid Wild card game.  No matta.

I tell my kids all the time that they are so spoiled because the Packers have been one of the best teams during their entire freakin' lifetime.

I am just old enough to remember the tail end of the bad Packers, including that Christmas night game between the Vikings and Bengals. I remember ABC cutting back and forth between the Packers and Steelers watching the game on TV. Four teams had their playoff fates on the line.

But point taken. My Packer fandom has largely seen success.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2017, 03:46:04 PM »
I am just old enough to remember the tail end of the bad Packers, including that Christmas night game between the Vikings and Bengals. I remember ABC cutting back and forth between the Packers and Steelers watching the game on TV. Four teams had their playoff fates on the line.

But point taken. My Packer fandom has largely seen success.

I'm just old enough to remember the Ice Bowl and to pretend to be Paul Hornung in the backyard.  All good.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2017, 04:20:22 PM »
If it's me i go for the consistency.  Being bad for 3 years sucks, going into every season knowing you have no chance (not because of the Devil but because you are Cleveland Brown's like in your management of the team) is too painful.

if it's you I hope you pick the National Title then we can Scoopfund an assassin around Memorial Day.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2017, 04:31:36 PM »
Finish my Bud Light and say no thanks.  The whole point of watching sports is that we don't know the outcome so I'd rather leave it to chance and have a clear conscience, even though the devil's version of consistent success is probably better than the reality.  In any case I've never negotiated with the devil but I'm guessing he usually expects more in return (e.g., your soul, your first born, etc.).

Say no to the Bud Light Devil, and you might end up dead in an Auto Zone parking lot.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2017, 04:36:49 PM »
Say no to the Bud Light Devil, and you might end up dead in an Auto Zone parking lot.

Well done.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2017, 04:37:20 PM »
I think the devil already has an exclusive contract with Duke. In the fine print it allows for UNC to win a NC every now and then. That is why they call him the (baby) blue Devil.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2017, 09:45:22 PM »
Easy answer for me.

You offering first born or first love, or both?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2017, 05:54:57 AM »
And in all honesty, I'd prefer neither of the above. As a fan, it would sap all the meaning knowing you would win the title, and take all the fun out of it. Similarly, it would take the fun out of every season knowing you had no chance to win.

I suppose that's why it's better to not make deals with devils. At the end of the day, they are lose-lose.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2017, 07:09:03 AM »
I think of the 70s without a title and MU would be remembered as "having a good run" or doing "pretty well" during that decade.

I love seeing Bo put his head through that hoop every time I see it. #1.
National Champs. Forever. No brainer.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2017, 08:03:25 AM »

I'm 90 so door number 1!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2017, 08:20:43 AM »
90? For realz? There has got to be a Scoop Award for that.

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2017, 08:29:39 AM »
Didn't any of you see "Constantine?!"  It's a really bad movie, but it demonstrated that the only way to beat the Devil is through sacrifice...

So, the deal was that MU wins a championship and will not win another "as long as you're alive." So, take the championship...look the Devil in the eye, flip him off and step off the curb in front of a bus.

Literally taking one for the team.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
Totally different scenario. I can always rewatch a copy of the title game to relive the experience.

I think a better analogy is a) lots of dating= sustained success, b) marriage = one national championship. I choose b, which also involves never getting laid again

Poor analogy, Zar. I love my wife and I get to experience that love every moment I'm with her. It's like winning a national championship EVERY year!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2017, 09:12:08 AM »
Poor analogy, Zar. I love my wife and I get to experience that love every moment I'm with her. It's like winning a national championship EVERY year!

Da wife is looking over your shoulder as you post, ai-na?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2017, 11:05:56 AM »
Didn't any of you see "Constantine?!"  It's a really bad movie, but it demonstrated that the only way to beat the Devil is through sacrifice...

So, the deal was that MU wins a championship and will not win another "as long as you're alive." So, take the championship...look the Devil in the eye, flip him off and step off the curb in front of a bus.

Literally taking one for the team.

Hey, how about a spoiler alert!
Have some patience, FFS.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2017, 11:45:17 AM »
No deal.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2017, 12:18:20 PM »
90? For realz? There has got to be a Scoop Award for that.
I apologize for the hyperbole. My point is that the answer is age dependent. Actually 72 though so keep off my lawn!

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
As a purely philosophical question, the answer is easy for me.
I would take sustained success with no possibility of a natty. I don't think it would be hard for me to recalibrate personal expectations so that a FF would equal a natty.

As a matter of practicality, the answer is easy for me.
I would take the natty next year. Drop a few hundred G's on Marquette at 100-1 or 80-1 at the start of the season, and you can have one hell of a championship party. You might even have enough left over to buy MU a football team  ;)
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

muguru

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2017, 06:39:28 AM »
There are a couple things I'd want to know before truly answering this...how good is Wisconsin going to be during this stretch after MU won the Natty and never made it back to the tourney again?? Yes, that matters...it matters a lot to me. If they are going to be really good, go to the tourney every year etc...then I might have a hard time saying win the Natty and then nothing. If however, UW will go back to being it's normal irrelevant self(like they were before 2000), then I will take the national champ, say F you to every arrogant badger dbag I encounter(and that's a lot), and bask in the glow until I die.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2017, 06:54:22 AM »
Truly, this is an age-related problem. It's been 40 years since our last one, and according to the government and their formula for minimum required distributions I don't have that many years left. I'll take a championship any day!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2017, 09:03:22 AM »
This is one of the most ridiculous questions yet in Scoop. I refuse to vote.

Look, we have only one national championship. I get it.

But the purpose of everything we do is to work for the second, third and fourth one. We may not get there next year, but being a national power with a competitive shot at being number 1 is what we strive to be. At Marquette, winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is -- hence win every day!

Look, even this year I held out hope, albeit small, that we could win and win some more until it was us facing some elite program on Monday night. Didn't happen but I refuse to give up hope. That"s a fan.

So yes, I expect one national championship more beforetheLord comes a calling. Two, three or four would be wonderful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2017, 09:06:39 AM »
This is one of the most ridiculous questions yet in Scoop. I refuse to vote.

Devil is a wily SOB. Refuse to choose and he dooms Marquette to Depaul status just for the hell of it.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2017, 09:31:26 AM »
When I  first saw this, I thought it was a ridiculous choice, but I actually have enjoyed thinking about it some. I posed the question to my MU alum wife and my MU fan son and they struggled with it, too.

I think I've settled on sustained success because striving to be great is what it's all about. Besides, there is always a chance that we'll be especially great one year - we'll tell the devil to go to hell and win the effen title anyway, just as Shoeless Joe from Hannibal, Mo. was able to prevail in Damn Yankees!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback