'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: New Arena Construction Update  (Read 96691 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: New Arena Construction Update
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »
Article on the beer garden.
https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2017/10/03/bucks-update-entertainment-block-plans-including.html

Yessss........  Thank you!

I was thinking it was going to be more like the open space at the Rosemont complex that they use for concerts and stuff.  They turn that into an ice skating rink in the winter, which would have been cool as well.

Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
Article on the beer garden.
https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2017/10/03/bucks-update-entertainment-block-plans-including.html

Lasry joined Feigin Thursday morning, while progress was being made on the arena's ice rink.
Huh?

A few observations:

A really low ceiling = very loud, no parachute drops.

On the east side, there is an exterior upper balcony overlooking the entertainment area.

The entertainment area reminds me of the Power & Light District in KC at the Sprint Center.

The Blue Moon Lady is in the graphics. MolsonCoors will be a sponsor of the entertainment district.

I hope the entertainment district has heaters. Otherwise, it will flop as 3/4 of the use is in the winter.

What goes in at the BC space makes or breaks the project.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2017, 09:41:26 AM »
Huh?

A few observations:

A really low ceiling = very loud, no parachute drops.

On the east side, there is an exterior upper balcony overlooking the entertainment area.

The entertainment area reminds me of the Power & Light District in KC at the Sprint Center.

The Blue Moon Lady is in the graphics. MolsonCoors will be a sponsor of the entertainment district.

I hope the entertainment district has heaters. Otherwise, it will flop as 3/4 of the use is in the winter.

What goes in at the BC space makes or breaks the project.

I believe the Power and Light district is something they are modeling it after, which I'm excited about.

I think they said later on that the ice would be for events like Disney on Ice and trying to get a Frozen Four. I'm also hoping that leaves the flexibility out there for an NHL team in the future. Although, that's a bit of a pipe dream.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2017, 09:46:34 AM »
Huh?

Give the designers and planners a little credit for knowing what they are doing.

Also, 3/4? Winter is long in Wisconsin, but not that long.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »
Give the designers and planners a little credit for knowing what they are doing.

Also, 3/4? Winter is long in Wisconsin, but not that long.

The practical use of the arena is 3/4s winter. What killed the business area around the BC previously is that all the business shifts to the Maier Grounds in the attendance months. Honestly, it is the Cubs fans that keep Old World Third Street in business in the summer now.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2017, 10:02:39 AM »

That's the Lady in the Moon, which orignated from High Life and is MillerCoors branding

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2017, 10:04:38 AM »
I believe the Power and Light district is something they are modeling it after, which I'm excited about.

I think they said later on that the ice would be for events like Disney on Ice and trying to get a Frozen Four. I'm also hoping that leaves the flexibility out there for an NHL team in the future. Although, that's a bit of a pipe dream.

The irony of getting an nhl team after the Bradley Center was demolished would be hilarious
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »
That's the Lady in the Moon, which orignated from High Life and is MillerCoors branding

Thank you for your political correctness, but it's actually The Girl in the Moon.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2017, 10:10:07 AM »
Thank you for your political correctness, but it's actually The Girl in the Moon.

BAH! Yeah, Girl in the Moon.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2017, 10:17:27 AM »

Hmmm...How did I not know that?  Thank you.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2017, 10:37:21 AM »
So, there is ice for a full size hockey rink.  The bucks didn't want the admirals at the new arena.

Anyone know the reason?  I understand having permanent ice under a basketball floor isn't the best, but it also is very workable.  So, there must be another reason. Disruption and time to go from a hockey to/from a basketball set up?  Other? 

This no to the admirals started very early in the process, before any lease negotiations would have been going on... so I don't think it was as simple as the admirals wouldn't pay enough rent.  Originally, they told everyone that there would only be a 3/4 size ice rink for Disney, etc, so no way to make the admirals work.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:39:45 AM by GOO »

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2017, 10:39:18 AM »

Or The Chick in the Moon?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »
Or The Chick in the Moon?

I am not sure the "chick" was a term used to describe women of the female persuasion back in 1907:

http://www.millercoorsblog.com/trending/miller-high-life-girl-in-the-moon/
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2017, 12:00:24 PM »
The power and light district in KC is a great place to hang out. Love this idea
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2017, 12:22:22 PM »
3/4ths or no 3/4ths .. I'll call it now:  The "beer garden" .. and the entire entertainment district will be a long-term flop.

Short term, it'll have some curious crowds.  And surges during NBA+MU games.   Long term .. non-game day, maybe Fri/Sat, it might be half full. -- And 90% of the customers that are there are being stolen from other downtown areas, Water Street, 3rd, etc.

MKE is absolutely chock full of places to eat and drink.   A bunch of new local beer gardens have sprouted up in the past 5 years.   Tons of restaurants, bars, new local beer gardens, etc, with plenty of character in far better locations, on rivers, lakefront, than this crappy area of town .. all cheaper, and with plentiful free parking.

Let's revisit this post in 2022 or so..

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2017, 01:52:41 PM »
So, there is ice for a full size hockey rink.  The bucks didn't want the admirals at the new arena.

Anyone know the reason?  I understand having permanent ice under a basketball floor isn't the best, but it also is very workable.  So, there must be another reason. Disruption and time to go from a hockey to/from a basketball set up?  Other? 

This no to the admirals started very early in the process, before any lease negotiations would have been going on... so I don't think it was as simple as the admirals wouldn't pay enough rent.  Originally, they told everyone that there would only be a 3/4 size ice rink for Disney, etc, so no way to make the admirals work.
Reason was never giving to the Admirals. Jerk move by the Bucks.

That being said, the Admirals are trilled playing in UWM Panther Arena. The Admirals get a huge chunk of the new arena team store sales. Also, they get a solid percentage  from concessions.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2017, 01:54:24 PM »
Reason was never giving to the Admirals. Jerk move by the Bucks.

That being said, the Admirals are trilled playing in UWM Panther Arena. The Admirals get a huge chunk of the new arena team store sales. Also, they get a solid percentage  from concessions.

It's probably worked out the best for all parties.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »
Interesting that no reason was given.  It is curious to me that the Bucks owners decided this so early on in the process.  A bit strange. 

Good to hear that the Admirals like how it turned out.  They are a nice plus to Milwaukee, downtown, and they put on a good show/game experience.   

The move seems to make a lot of sense, given that the arena has to be a better environment for the crowds they normally draw.  Plus, it seems like they have more control over what happens at the area as the main tenant (unless you count UWM basketball as the main tenant).  Probably best for UWM, the arena, and the Admirals.  It should also be best for MU, not having to compete with them for dates. 

I'd think the losers are the Bucks - but obviously the Bucks didn't want them and don't see it that way.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »
Interesting that no reason was given.  It is curious to me that the Bucks owners decided this so early on in the process.  A bit strange. 

Good to hear that the Admirals like how it turned out.  They are a nice plus to Milwaukee, downtown, and they put on a good show/game experience.   

The move seems to make a lot of sense, given that the arena has to be a better environment for the crowds they normally draw.  Plus, it seems like they have more control over what happens at the area as the main tenant (unless you count UWM basketball as the main tenant).  Probably best for UWM, the arena, and the Admirals.  It should also be best for MU, not having to compete with them for dates. 

I'd think the losers are the Bucks - but obviously the Bucks didn't want them and don't see it that way.
UWM is the main tenant as it's in the  lease for the naming rights. With the Admirals with 40 plus dates. UWM with 16. Milwaukee Wave Soccer with 12 plus, circus, graduations, roller derby and concerts, the ole Mecca Arena is doing well with events and the 10 million in upgrades last year.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2017, 02:30:49 PM »

It's probably worked out the best for all parties.
I think the your statement is very true. Plus, was said by both parties.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2017, 02:37:16 PM »
As to the New Bucks/Marquette Arena. MU's exhibition game vs Lindenwood on Nov 4th, 2017 should be the first event that the new 1,250 spot parking structure will open.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 04:02:32 PM by mupanther »
-Bill Walton

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2017, 02:49:40 PM »
As to the New Bucks/Marquette Arena. MU's exhibition game should be the first event that the new 1,250 spot parking structure will open.

Was thinking next year’s private practice...

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2017, 03:23:39 PM »
Was thinking next year’s private practice...

I believe it's open this season.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2017, 03:59:28 PM »
Yes, I thought I said it. This November!
-Bill Walton