[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Yeti Coolers  (Read 8067 times)

manny31

• Starter
Yeti Coolers
« on: April 08, 2017, 12:17:16 PM »
What is the deal with these things? Super expensive, I can't imagine that a cooler could be that differentiated to be worth what they cost. I am cheap so even if I could afford one of these I don't think I could ever buy one. Is the "technology" that good is it  expensive? Are there half price knockoffs that do the job 80% as well? Thanks.

Skitch

• All American
Re: Yeti Coolers
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »
I got a S'well as a gift and it works fantastic. I'm not a coffee drinker so I couldn't really tell you how hot it keeps stuff but it kept my drinks cold in the summer all day. From looking online it looks like they cost $35-40. 

I have heard people say that Walmart has a version of the Yeti that is actually really good but have no personal experience with it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 02:16:15 PM »
Go for da Yeti. Der tits and well worth the coins, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 06:38:19 PM »
I hope there are more comments in this thread, because I have wondered the same thing.

For the record, this Wal-Mart version of the Yeti - the Ozark - is 10 bucks. It has received nearly 9,000 consumer reviews to date, and the average score is 4.8 on a scale to 5.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-30-Ounce-Double-Wall-Vacuum-Sealed-Tumbler/139536058?variantFieldId=actual_color

I think I might grab myself one of these next time I'm at Wal-Mart. If I don't like it, I can always return it.

Like the OP, I will NEVER pay $35-$50 for a Yeti. Ever.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 07:06:56 PM »
I can confirm that S'well is a top notch product. Worth the dough, IMO.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 09:02:58 PM »
A yeti cooler is amazing and will keep ice for days if I remember.

If your looking for a tumbler or metal beer cozy go off brand there just as good.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 10:32:16 PM »
I feel like we've got a "bubbler" problem here.  So I'll give my definitions...

Cooler = portable ice chest
Cooler != insulated bottle

But anyhow, to the OP.  First and foremost, I don't own any of the things I reference, but have done some research.  I  also agree Yeti (and competitor) prices are too much.

Yeti's and their similar priced alternatives not only hold ice well (and therefore stay cold for days), but are also very durable, including most being considered bear resistant.  I guess that's a plus.  But if I'm in an area with bears, I'm either car camping or backpacking.  For backpacking I won't have a cooler.  For car camping I can put a cooler in the car and don't need it to be bear resistant. Anyhow...

For a cheap alternative, I guess there's the coleman xtreme coolers.  Probably not as good as a Yeti, but better than most coolers, and probably at 1/6 the price of a Yeti.

But, if you're really looking for Yeti-like, but a little cheaper, Canyon Coolers has some intriguing options - though still expensive in my book.

And as a funny aside, there's also a Yeti bicycle company, and I was confused when "they" suddenly started selling coolers.  Apparently it's a completely different company.  But they do make great (and expensive) bikes ! http://www.yeticycles.com/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:47:24 PM by rocky_warrior »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 10:43:14 PM »
What is the deal with these things? Super expensive, I can't imagine that a cooler could be that differentiated to be worth what they cost. I am cheap so even if I could afford one of these I don't think I could ever buy one. Is the "technology" that good is it  expensive? Are there half price knockoffs that do the job 80% as well? Thanks.
The answer  to the expense of these is... How do it know?...as an old joke goes...

"The cooler is the greatest invention in the history of man"...muses a working man to his buddy over their lunch boxes.
"Waddya mean greatest invention ever?"

"Well it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold, right?"

"Well yeah, I guess so"

"Okay then answer me this. Hot or Cold? ....

How do it know?'"

Thats it ...think about it ...amazing...greatest invention in history of man. 
How do it know lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 07:14:12 AM »
The answer  to the expense of these is... How do it know?...as an old joke goes...

"The cooler is the greatest invention in the history of man"...muses a working man to his buddy over their lunch boxes.
"Waddya mean greatest invention ever?"

"Well it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold, right?"

"Well yeah, I guess so"

"Okay then answer me this. Hot or Cold? ....

How do it know?'"

Thats it ...think about it ...amazing...greatest invention in history of man. 
How do it know lol

Have you been hanging out with 'Never?   ;)

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 12:00:52 PM »
Have you been hanging out with 'Never?   ;)
lol its not a Texas joke as I heard it first in Milwaukee in 1978...so maybe he started it
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 03:02:08 PM »
RTIC (pronounced Artic) just as good as Yeti, just ordered two tumblers myself.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 03:57:04 PM »
I got the Yeti pint-ish sized beverage container (whatever they market it as) as a groomsman gift and it's pretty slick. Keeps drinks cold for a very long time. So, price aside, it does what it says it will and it does it well.

As for the cooler, a friend of mine got the Rtic one that's like the Yeti, and it too keeps stuff cold for a long time. It's great for weekend-long marathon drinking/grilling/tailgating sessions. I'm not sure how Rtic compares in price to Yeti, but apparently they're almost identical in performance.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 09:14:41 AM »
A yeti cooler is amazing and will keep ice for days if I remember.

I mean, that's impressive, but I'm trying to think of a use case for that. Maybe camping for more than a weekend? Which I've never done and never anticipate doing.

My Coleman (no relation to my screen name, btw) was $50 and it keeps ice for an entire weekend.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:16:27 AM by Coleman »

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 11:27:20 AM »
I mean, that's impressive, but I'm trying to think of a use case for that. Maybe camping for more than a weekend? Which I've never done and never anticipate doing.

My Coleman (no relation to my screen name, btw) was $50 and it keeps ice for an entire weekend.

This is how you have to approach the decision I think.  Yes there is a difference in how long these high-end coolers can maintain ice/keep things cool, but is it a practical difference?  If you are camping somewhere for 5-10 days without access to replenish your ice, it may be worth it.  If you are tailgating a Brewers game for 3 hours or camping over Labor Day weekend with easy access to a convenience store, then maybe there's no need.

I got one of the Yeti tumblers as a groomsman gift and I liked it so much I bought another one for work.  It keeps ice for 8+ hours or coffee hot for a couple hours.  I think it's well worth the $30 because I've already got hundreds if not thousands of hours of use out it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »
If you are on a remote outpost cabin in Northern Manitoba, and require ice for your cocktails throughout the week.....worth every penny.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »
If you are on a remote outpost cabin in Northern Manitoba, and require ice for your cocktails throughout the week.....worth every penny.

Couldn't you just step out the door and grab a hunk?

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 12:32:17 PM »
Couldn't you just step out the door and grab a hunk?

It did snow here yesterday...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 05:31:46 PM »

But, you can build your own solar ice maker for about $700, and get 26 lbs of ice/day for life!  Way better investment.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 05:49:03 PM »
I got a S'well as a gift and it works fantastic. I'm not a coffee drinker so I couldn't really tell you how hot it keeps stuff but it kept my drinks cold in the summer all day. From looking online it looks like they cost $35-40. 

I have heard people say that Walmart has a version of the Yeti that is actually really good but have no personal experience with it.

My wife got me an Eddie Bauer knockoff of the S'well as a gift, and I love that.  I have to admit I was skeptical, but I'm a believer.  I'm cheap, so my usual practice at my kids' tournaments is to re-fill water bottles from drinking fountains (i.e., bubblers).  I typically just used a new plastic bottle each day.  The problem is that I frequently keep them in my back pocket (strange...I know).  With the plastic bottles, the water gets warm back there.  With the insulated/vacuum bottle, I refill from fountains and it's always stayed cold.  I'm not sure how long it will keep it cold because I drink a lot of water, but it's never once been a problem.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 08:23:17 AM »
I got the Yeti pint-ish sized beverage container (whatever they market it as) as a groomsman gift and it's pretty slick. Keeps drinks cold for a very long time. So, price aside, it does what it says it will and it does it well.

As for the cooler, a friend of mine got the Rtic one that's like the Yeti, and it too keeps stuff cold for a long time. It's great for weekend-long marathon drinking/grilling/tailgating sessions. I'm not sure how Rtic compares in price to Yeti, but apparently they're almost identical in performance.

About half the price generally.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 01:15:31 PM »
Bought me a knockoff at Wal-Mart. Used it today for the first time. Worked well but it wasn't a long enough test. The real test will be in 10 days when I have to umpire for 7-9 hours in the NC heat.

I'll report back with the results ... I know folks will be on pins and needles until I do!!

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 01:25:41 PM »
Bought me a knockoff at Wal-Mart. Used it today for the first time. Worked well but it wasn't a long enough test. The real test will be in 10 days when I have to umpire for 7-9 hours in the NC heat.

I'll report back with the results ... I know folks will be on pins and needles until I do!!

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20170422T20&p0=207&msg=MU82%27s+Walmart+Knockoff+Yeti+Field+Test+Report&ud=2&font=slab&csz=1

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 04:35:30 PM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 11:40:21 PM »
My favorite post in at least a week! Truly made me laugh out loud. (I don't use "LOL" because I am older than 21.)

So is LOL. The term dates back to the 1980s.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2014/05/23/lol_s_25th_anniversary_origins_of_still_popular_internet_abbreviation_trace.html
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 07:28:31 AM »