[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wichita State to the AAC  (Read 23669 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Wichita State to the AAC
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 01:06:16 PM »
Why anyone would affirmatively want to join the AAC's cast of misfits is beyond me.

Because it is a better conference than the MVC.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 02:36:40 PM »
Schools like Cincinnati, Tulane, Tulsa and UConn must be really swallowing their pride in admitting one of the worst academic institutions into their conference.  Further proof that the American is just a group of misfit toys clinging together for survival. 

I hope ESPN doesn't give them a substantial raise.

It must really burn those schools, which we left behind, that we make $5 million to their $1.7 million.

"one of the worst academic institutions..."  ?

are they?  ivy league they are not, but maybe if they had some of the same "tutors" UNC had, they'd be better?  dirty secret-many of the b-ball players don't go for the education
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 09:43:39 AM »
Jon Rothstein reported that they are looking at Valpo and Murray State.  They will go with a round robin, 20 game conference schedule. 

If that is the case, they will still have no teams in the watershed of the Missouri River.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 12:04:21 PM »
Jon Rothstein reported that they are looking at Valpo and Murray State.  They will go with a round robin, 20 game conference schedule. 

If that is the case, they will still have no teams in the watershed of the Missouri River.
Thats ok, the Big Ten and the Big 12 don't live up to their names either.  ;).  At least the BE will always be east of something.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 04:23:19 PM »
Valpo, Murray St. Belmont all make a lot of sense for AAC.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2017, 04:55:05 PM »
Valpo, Murray St. Belmont all make a lot of sense for AAC.

You know while that conference would actually be very interesting. I wonder what type of respect the NCAA would give it   
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2017, 05:04:30 PM »
You know while that conference would actually be very interesting. I wonder what type of respect the NCAA would give it

That I can't say. But all three are terrific programs.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2017, 06:41:00 PM »
The two conferences most negatively affected by conference realignment have been the MVC and CAA. From multi bid leagues with final four teams to single bid, double digit seed leagues in less than 5 years.

Delaney wanted to destroy the Big 12 and Big East when he started realignment and he ended up killing two mid majors and a hockey conference instead.  He needs to be fornicated with an iron stick.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:46:43 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2017, 06:49:02 PM »
Delaney didn't want to destroy the Big East nor the Big 12.  The B12's problems were completely self inflicted and the B10, SEC and P12 benefited.  And the BE was broken long before he looked east.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2017, 08:40:14 PM »
Delaney didn't want to destroy the Big East nor the Big 12.  The B12's problems were completely self inflicted and the B10, SEC and P12 benefited.  And the BE was broken long before he looked east.

Wrong. He took Nebraska and has been targeting Texas for years. With the Big East he invited Syracuse and then took Rutgers. He, with Slive of the SEC (which took A&M and Mizzou) wanted four 16 team conferences and the Big 12 was the one to go. Delaney also wanted the Big East out if the way to get Notre Dame and MSG. Facts.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2017, 08:48:07 PM »
The two conferences most negatively affected by conference realignment have been the MVC and CAA. From multi bid leagues with final four teams to single bid, double digit seed leagues in less than 5 years.

Delaney wanted to destroy the Big 12 and Big East when he started realignment and he ended up killing two mid majors and a hockey conference instead.  He needs to be fornicated with an iron stick.

give him the iron stick shocka.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2017, 04:43:52 AM »
Wrong. He took Nebraska and has been targeting Texas for years. With the Big East he invited Syracuse and then took Rutgers. He, with Slive of the SEC (which took A&M and Mizzou) wanted four 16 team conferences and the Big 12 was the one to go. Delaney also wanted the Big East out if the way to get Notre Dame and MSG. Facts.

Sorry but multiple "facts" are wrong. Syracuse never invited and the B10 is actually in a partnership with BE. Notre Dame was all about football.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 04:46:22 AM by Sultan of Slap O' Fivin' »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2017, 06:56:03 AM »
Wrong. He took Nebraska and has been targeting Texas for years. With the Big East he invited Syracuse and then took Rutgers. He, with Slive of the SEC (which took A&M and Mizzou) wanted four 16 team conferences and the Big 12 was the one to go. Delaney also wanted the Big East out if the way to get Notre Dame and MSG. ALTERNATIVE Facts.

FIFY  ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:01:17 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2017, 07:15:08 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:20:46 AM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2017, 07:20:25 AM »
Wichita St. is probably chasing football money.

What football money?

Interesting tidbit from a Wichita paper.

Q: Is football coming back?

A: Football began to drop from the discussion at Wichita State last fall as officials decided deciding on conference affiliation had to come first.

While the football question won’t go away, university president John Bardo put it far down the list of priorities. There is no urgency to delve into that complicated sport when the athletic department is faced with a new reality.

“For us, this is a major change,” Bardo said. “We are not going to talk about football for awhile. My excitement and interest, right now, is let’s do this right. Then let’s come back and talk about other things later.”

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2017, 07:23:20 AM »
The MVC remnants are utter dreck.

After Illinois State at 49, the highest MVC school in KenPom is Loyola Chicago at 98.

Southern Illinois hasn't danced in 10 years.
Bradley hasn't danced in 11 years.
Evansville hasn't danced in 18 years.
Missouri State hasn't danced in 18 years.
Illinois State hasn't danced in 19 years.
Loyola hasn't danced in 32 years.
Indiana State has won one NCAA Tournament game in 38 years (Beating Oklahoma in 2001).
Drake has played in one NCAA Tournament game in 46 years (which it lost in 2008).

Northern Iowa, with appearances in 2015 and 2016 is a juggernaut by comparison.

As far as replacements for Wichita State go:
Favorite: Belmont
Dark Horses: Valpo, Oakland, UW-Milwaukee? SLU?

UMKC is lobbying for consideration.  Long term they may be a smart play.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2017, 09:53:28 AM »

That's better than the bottom half of the MVC.

Not really. The average KenPom rating of the bottom 5 teams in the American is almost identical to the bottom 5 teams in the MVC.

2016-17 Bottom 5 MVC teams
#154 Evansville
#169 Northern Iowa
#199 Indiana State
#217 Bradley
#258 Drake

Average = 199.4

2016-17 Bottom 5 American teams
#118 Temple
#144 Tulsa
#191 East Carolina
#241 Tulane
#292 South Florida

Average = 197.2
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2017, 10:20:29 AM »
Not really. The average KenPom rating of the bottom 5 teams in the American is almost identical to the bottom 5 teams in the MVC.

2016-17 Bottom 5 MVC teams
#154 Evansville
#169 Northern Iowa
#199 Indiana State
#217 Bradley
#258 Drake

Average = 199.4

2016-17 Bottom 5 American teams
#118 Temple
#144 Tulsa
#191 East Carolina
#241 Tulane
#292 South Florida

Average = 197.2

I remember when Larry Williams made those hilarious comments about Tulane when they were added to the Big East. 
I shutter to think where Marquette would be today if the C7 would somehow forced to recreate the Big East with the likes of Tulane, East Carolina, UCF, USF, Houston and SMU.  No way does the Big East keep its prestigious basketball brand or reputation with those programs added.  Those schools would have surely lowered the expectations and standards of the league, thus causing the C7 to slide even further down chain because of realignment.  Those schools just don't value basketball, nor do they put in the resources to allow it to become successful long-term. 

Butler/Creighton/Xavier > Tulane, East Carolina, UCF, USF, SMU, Houston x 10000

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2017, 11:07:31 AM »
The Big East's top three recruiting classes for 2017 coincidently are Xavier, Butler and Creighton.  Smart choices were made when adding to the Catholic seven.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »
What football money?

Interesting tidbit from a Wichita paper.

Q: Is football coming back?

A: Football began to drop from the discussion at Wichita State last fall as officials decided deciding on conference affiliation had to come first.

While the football question won’t go away, university president John Bardo put it far down the list of priorities. There is no urgency to delve into that complicated sport when the athletic department is faced with a new reality.

“For us, this is a major change,” Bardo said. “We are not going to talk about football for awhile. My excitement and interest, right now, is let’s do this right. Then let’s come back and talk about other things later.”

Interesting. Thanks for posting. Not long ago, the university president was tweeting pictures of a Wichita State football helmet. Maybe they actually sat down and ran some of the hard numbers.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2017, 08:07:22 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for posting. Not long ago, the university president was tweeting pictures of a Wichita State football helmet. Maybe they actually sat down and ran some of the hard numbers.
Wichita  State backers have said they would write the check for football if that is the direction the school decides to go. It is good to have a rich backer.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2017, 10:46:08 PM »
Wichita  State backers have said they would write the check for football if that is the direction the school decides to go. It is good to have a rich backer.

These things always make me chuckle. Every school has some big time backer that allows them to afford anything. It's always "Don't you know about Phil Knight" or "T. Boone Pickens" or all the SMU donors, or someone's massive alumni base, or the billionaires that have supported our own programs.

Every program has big backers, but those backers are wealthy because they aren't stupid and don't toss money around haphazardly. Money is always an issue. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2017, 11:10:48 PM »
These things always make me chuckle. Every school has some big time backer that allows them to afford anything. It's always "Don't you know about Phil Knight" or "T. Boone Pickens" or all the SMU donors, or someone's massive alumni base, or the billionaires that have supported our own programs.

Every program has big backers, but those backers are wealthy because they aren't stupid and don't toss money around haphazardly. Money is always an issue. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.
Wichita State backers actually have a business reason for supporting the school. They are forthright in their intentions.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2017, 05:26:41 AM »
Wichita State backers actually have a business reason for supporting the school. They are forthright in their intentions.

Changes nothing of what I said.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2017, 07:13:07 AM »

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article86293007.html

Wichita State did a $60,000 feasibility study last year.

Per the report, start-up facility costs would be approximately $40 million, and the football team's annual budget would start at $6 million.

"For FCS (formerly Division I-AA) football, the study estimates first-year expenses of $238,500 for coaches salaries and recruiting. After a year of preparation and one of practice, expenses rise to $5.8 million for the first season of play and $6.5 million for the second season."

"For FBS football, the costs increase from $585,451 after the sport is announced to $10.5 million five years later. In that scenario, salary for coaches account for $2.5 million of the fifth-year budget. By the fifth year, the report projects revenue of $2.5 million.

The report said WSU would likely need to add one or more women’s sports and lists soccer, swimming and diving, rowing and bowling (both currently non-NCAA sports at WSU) as examples. The women’s additions would be to satisfy Title IX, the 1972 law enacted to ensure gender equity at publicly-funded schools."
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

feedback