[Today at 09:13:49 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Lennys Tap
[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: EwingTown  (Read 24616 times)

burger

• All American
Re: EwingTown
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2017, 07:03:10 AM »
Georgetown going the way of Depaul......

This was all about appeasing the alumni......

Be careful what you wish for.....

Should have had a Miller type candidate waiting in the wings before they moved on this.....

Ewing is "so" risky.....and could really damage their franchise.....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2017, 07:09:19 AM »
Or..... this is a great hire by Georgetown.    A famous alum who has spent the last 15 years learning from the best as an NBA assistant.   An instantly recognizable figure that will unify the fanbase.     Using his name and NBA experience, he brings in a cadre of really good assistants.    After a short blip while he figures our what his system is going to be and installs it, Georgetown returns to its former stature.         

A coin flip, really.    Every hire is.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2017, 07:14:57 AM »
I think it will depend on his agility to recruit bigmen. The downside of this is the really good bigmen only stay one year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2017, 07:34:26 AM »
I think it will depend on his agility to recruit bigmen. The downside of this is the really good bigmen only stay one year.

He is 50+.   His agility is shot.    So I don't know how being old and slow will help his ability to recruit bigs. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

burger

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2017, 07:42:54 AM »
Ewing's name will be able to recruit......

He is totally an unproven coach with a ton of probably great mentoring......(15 years as assistant)

Is he Buzz and has learned a ton or his he Joey Meyers and a dear in the headlights....

So the question is.....Has it stuck.....

Real risky......We shall see......

Mullin has an "in-game" strategy assistant that coaches the "timeouts"

Mullen may deliver a message and approve the play....but the assistant does the X's and O's.....

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2017, 09:26:51 AM »
Ewing's name will be able to recruit......

He is totally an unproven coach with a ton of probably great mentoring......(15 years as assistant)

Is he Buzz and has learned a ton or his he Joey Meyers and a dear in the headlights....

So the question is.....Has it stuck.....

Real risky......We shall see......

Mullin has an "in-game" strategy assistant that coaches the "timeouts"

Mullen may deliver a message and approve the play....but the assistant does the X's and O's.....

Have to...
put on...
ignore...
#donedeal
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2017, 09:29:43 AM »
Great line bro.  Are you vying for an assistant's spot at Gtown?

They can't afford me.

I mean, would Georgetown parents buy me a sporting goods gift card at the end of the season like my kids' parents did? I think not!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2017, 09:37:29 AM »
As soon as I saw the headline yesterday, I thought of the Onion article from a few years back: http://www.theonion.com/article/fans-admit-they-have-no-clue-why-they-want-former--18501
"Fans Admit They Have No Clue Why They Want Former Player to Manage"

This feels like a huge gamble. Maybe this will be a sneaky home run hire. I reserve my right to be wrong. 

That being said, there are 75 D1 programs in "high major" conferences (The 6 leagues you think of). That means 75 head coaches. 72 of those 75 head coaches had prior experience either as a head coach, or as a college assistant coach before they got their current gig.

ACC: 15 out of 15
Big Ten: 14 out of 14
Big XII: 10 out of 10
SEC: 13 out of 14
Pac-12: 12 out of 12
Big East: 8 out of 10
Total: 72 out of 75

The three who didn't have any prior experience as a head coach, or college assistant coach, are Chris Mullin at St. John's, Avery Johnson at Alabama, and now, Patrick Ewing at Georgetown.

Yes, Ewing has years of experience as an NBA assistant, but college is, quite literally, a different game. Of course, we can debate the level to which Ewing can apply his NBA assistant experience as a high major college head coach until Kingdom Come. However, at the very least, there should be no debate that Ewing's resume is HIGHLY UNUSUAL for a D1 high major coach. I can't help but think that Ewing was hired primarily as a "name" hire that would provide a link to the elder Thompson glory days, to provide a top headline for a program slipping into irrelevancy.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2017, 09:53:03 AM »
Could this be a good hire? Absolutely. I think Ewing is more likely to install an appealing play style then JT3, and I think he's smart enough to build a solid staff to acclimate him to the college game.

That said, I'm not a fan of how this transpired. Getting turned down 4 times to settle on the alumni option is a bad look.

Interesting question, which looks "worse" from the outsider perspective? Georgetown being turned down publicly by numerous targets and selling on the effective "interior hire", or Marquette not putting out as many feelers and virtually going straight to the interior hire of Buzz Williams in 2008?

Agreed.  But bringing a risky, but flashy, hire at this point has to be better for Georgetown's brand than bringing in a more orthodox, but disappointing hire.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 09:54:40 AM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »
Ultimately, winning the news cycle is less important than winning games. The MU administration had the guts to make the Buzz hire knowing it would be underwhelming, but apparently knew something the rest of us didn't. Apparently Georgetown thought it was important to put out feelers to a number of home run hires even if they thought they were unlikely. If any of them had landed it would've been worth it, and if Georgetown declines from here on out, it will be because Ewing doesn't win, not because they asked four other coaches first.

Some of us on Scoop liked the Buzz hire, we could see who was getting recruits looking at MU in Crean's last year.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2017, 10:06:39 AM »
So how long does Ewing's rebuild take? And how soon will the "fire Ewing" threads start on GU scoop after they miss the tournament next year?

If Ewing can keep the roster intact, Georgetown won't need a rebuild.  Talent wasn't the problem at Georgetown.  Anyone remember JJJ's remark about how he knew he could drive in and dunk on Georgetown's defense?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2017, 10:23:57 AM »

Joey wasn't a terrible coach or a "dear" in the headlights. Long after his old man (and his old man's recruits) were gone he was still putting together 20+ win/tournament teams.
The main reason for his failings was being undercut by his administration (Bill Bradshaw in particular), which suddenly decided to stop letting in the kids with academic issues that the program hard largely relied on in its glory days. There were a couple of high-profile cases in particular in which Joey landed a commitment from a top recruit, only to see the kid denied admission (Ronnie Fields, for example). This, in turn, led to many of the state's top high school programs to turn their backs on him.
At the same time, the U of Illinois was making inroads in recruiting the CPL thanks to some, shall we say, unscrupulous recruiting tactics that were bringing the top city kids (Marcus Liberty, Lowell Hamilton, Nick Anderson, etc.) downstate.
It's no coincidence that after Joey was canned, DePaul started landing city's best players again ... temporarily, at least ... under Pat Kennedy.

Joey was by no means a great coach, but he's not the guy to blame for the fall of DePaul hoops.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2017, 12:14:40 PM »
Every hire is a risky one except maybe the handful of programs that get to select their coach (KY, Kansas, UNC and maybe a few others) -- even they whiff sometimes.

Where was the outrage with the Mike Hopkins hire - he was a 21 year assistant.

I don't know he will be successful at running a college program, but I don't think it is inconceivable that they took a shot on him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2017, 12:28:07 PM »
Every hire is a risky one except maybe the handful of programs that get to select their coach (KY, Kansas, UNC and maybe a few others) -- even they whiff sometimes.

Where was the outrage with the Mike Hopkins hire - he was a 21 year assistant.

I don't know he will be successful at running a college program, but I don't think it is inconceivable that they took a shot on him.

Hopkins may not be the best example, though. He turned down many opportunities to be a head coach elsewhere because he'd been led to believe that Boeheim would have retired by now and he'd replace. When it finally became apparent this year that Boeheim wasn't leaving, Hopkins took a gig elsewhere.

Tom Thibodeau was an assistant for nearly 30 years.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2017, 12:31:57 PM »
Hopkins may not be the best example, though. He turned down many opportunities to be a head coach elsewhere because he'd been led to believe that Boeheim would have retired by now and he'd replace. When it finally became apparent this year that Boeheim wasn't leaving, Hopkins took a gig elsewhere.

Tom Thibodeau was an assistant for nearly 30 years.

Fair - my over-arching point is that assistant coaching is relevant experience to become a head coach.  I am just surprised at that being a reason he won't be successful. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2017, 02:00:11 PM »
Joey wasn't a terrible coach or a "dear" in the headlights. Long after his old man (and his old man's recruits) were gone he was still putting together 20+ win/tournament teams.
The main reason for his failings was being undercut by his administration (Bill Bradshaw in particular), which suddenly decided to stop letting in the kids with academic issues that the program hard largely relied on in its glory days. There were a couple of high-profile cases in particular in which Joey landed a commitment from a top recruit, only to see the kid denied admission (Ronnie Fields, for example). This, in turn, led to many of the state's top high school programs to turn their backs on him.
At the same time, the U of Illinois was making inroads in recruiting the CPL thanks to some, shall we say, unscrupulous recruiting tactics that were bringing the top city kids (Marcus Liberty, Lowell Hamilton, Nick Anderson, etc.) downstate.
It's no coincidence that after Joey was canned, DePaul started landing city's best players again ... temporarily, at least ... under Pat Kennedy.

Joey was by no means a great coach, but he's not the guy to blame for the fall of DePaul hoops.

Absolutely Dead on. not a great coach but a good coach, posters should check out his record
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2017, 03:00:46 PM »
Some of us on Scoop liked the Buzz hire, we could see who was getting recruits looking at MU in Crean's last year.

If what you said were true, that makes Bobby Hurley's comments about Buzz and Tyshawn Taylor at odds.  Hurley wasn't exactly sold on Buzz for his star player. 

http://www.zagsblog.com/2008/04/15/taylor-still-seeks-release/

Nick Williams didn't bother to stay at MU either.  Buzz was responsible for Otule and Fulce from that class. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2017, 03:52:55 PM »
If what you said were true, that makes Bobby Hurley's comments about Buzz and Tyshawn Taylor at odds.  Hurley wasn't exactly sold on Buzz for his star player. 

http://www.zagsblog.com/2008/04/15/taylor-still-seeks-release/

Nick Williams didn't bother to stay at MU either.  Buzz was responsible for Otule and Fulce from that class.

You got me on Taylor, although what happened there was Tyshawn had a better than expected senior year and had some better options in the Spring (like Kansas) than he had in the fall, if he could get out of his committment.  Still he was more of a Crean guy, making him an exception.  If you don't know that Buzz's appearance at MU resulted in a resurgence in MU's recruiting, then you either weren't there or weren't paying attention.  Why do you think he got the HC job?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
You got me on Taylor, although what happened there was Tyshawn had a better than expected senior year and had some better options in the Spring (like Kansas) than he had in the fall, if he could get out of his committment.  Still he was more of a Crean guy, making him an exception.  If you don't know that Buzz's appearance at MU resulted in a resurgence in MU's recruiting, then you either weren't there or weren't paying attention.  Why do you think he got the HC job?

Thick Neck:

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2017, 04:18:23 PM »
Thick Neck:

Win. Absolute win. Literally laughing out loud, thanks for that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »

That is my recollection also. I thought I read something about Kansas being his dream school and they didn't have a spot in the fall. Then someone turned pro, Crean went to I4, and Buzz used the open spot on Jimmy Butler.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2017, 04:32:26 PM »
John Dodds told me that Buzz absolutely saved the visit for Ty Taylor back in November 2008 as TC couldn't connect with the kid.  Now who knows if that is true but I think whne Ty had a chance to go to Kansas, Bob Hurley was going to say ANYTHING he could to get him there.  He saw an opening and went for it.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2017, 05:09:23 PM »
John Dodds told me that Buzz absolutely saved the visit for Ty Taylor back in November 2008 as TC couldn't connect with the kid.  Now who knows if that is true but I think whne Ty had a chance to go to Kansas, Bob Hurley was going to say ANYTHING he could to get him there.  He saw an opening and went for it.

Agreed.
Taylor's de-commitment had way more to do with a chance for him to play at Kansas than with Buzz or Marquette (except that Buzz/Marquette weren't Bill Self/Kansas)

reinko

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2017, 08:07:53 AM »
Regardless of what you think of the hire...this is pretty rich of G'Town

@dcsportsbog
Patrick Ewing tells @JunksRadio that Georgetown has a nepotism clause and his son won't be allowed to stay on his staff

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2017, 08:39:20 AM »
They can't afford me.

I mean, would Georgetown parents buy me a sporting goods gift card at the end of the season like my kids' parents did? I think not!

Well, sure you get a lot of gift cards, but you spend a lot of gift cards too.

feedback