[Today at 07:56:19 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: EwingTown  (Read 24633 times)

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
Re: EwingTown
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »
Could this be a good hire? Absolutely. I think Ewing is more likely to install an appealing play style then JT3, and I think he's smart enough to build a solid staff to acclimate him to the college game.

That said, I'm not a fan of how this transpired. Getting turned down 4 times to settle on the alumni option is a bad look.

Interesting question, which looks "worse" from the outsider perspective? Georgetown being turned down publicly by numerous targets and selling on the effective "interior hire", or Marquette not putting out as many feelers and virtually going straight to the interior hire of Buzz Williams in 2008?

Ultimately, winning the news cycle is less important than winning games. The MU administration had the guts to make the Buzz hire knowing it would be underwhelming, but apparently knew something the rest of us didn't. Apparently Georgetown thought it was important to put out feelers to a number of home run hires even if they thought they were unlikely. If any of them had landed it would've been worth it, and if Georgetown declines from here on out, it will be because Ewing doesn't win, not because they asked four other coaches first.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 04:13:50 PM »
Just a hypothetical:
What if the GU Admin wanted to stay in the JTII tree, but needed to appease donors and fans who wanted to see the program go in a different direction? How would they go about doing that?

I'd get Iverson duh
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 04:14:21 PM »
Coach Ewing, I welcome you back to the Big East with open arms... on one condition.
You need to do what Mullin was too cowardly to do and bring back the short shorts.

There's a few players on SJU who actually wear their shorts super high up.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 04:31:31 PM »
Just a hypothetical:
What if the GU Admin wanted to stay in the JTII tree, but needed to appease donors and fans who wanted to see the program go in a different direction? How would they go about doing that?

You can't do both, and they didn't accomplish both. Getting rebuffed and going in a different direction isn't the same thing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2017, 04:50:06 PM »
It seems pretty obvious that process was a bit of a cluster.  But that doesn't mean he'll be a bad coach or that it was a bad hire.  As a soon-to-be GU parent, I hope it works out well (aside for 2-4 games per year).  I'll give him five years before I decide.   ;)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2017, 05:11:10 PM »
They aimed high and got shot down by Mike Brey, Shaka Smart, Ed Cooley, and Chris Mack. Hard to justify you "got your guy" when options 1, 2, 3, and 4 all said no.

I'm honestly not convinced that Georgetown actually reached out to all of those coaches. I think there is a lot of misinformation with coaching searches (see #donedeal) and the media will run with rumors. The coaches then have to respond in order to quell any concerns their fanbases, employers or recruits might have. Also, as Goose has alluded in the past that schools will have people around the program quietly make phone calls to possible candidates just to test the waters. Most of the time these calls go no further than that. But I wouldn't be surprised if TCU was just testing the waters with Jamey Dixon and was pleasantly surprised when he wanted to come home.

No idea if the Ewing hire will pan out or not. I like it better than the Mullin hire but I could see it going good or bad.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 06:04:43 PM »
Could this be indicative of greater problems within Georgetown and it's administration - that they lack the initiative and the creativity to go outside of the "family" when it's very necessary?
The problem if this doesn't work is it will ride out 3-4 years longer than it should.
The school has been doing what JTII wants since 1972 - they really don't know how to do anything else.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2017, 06:14:50 PM »
I'm honestly not convinced that Georgetown actually reached out to all of those coaches. I think there is a lot of misinformation with coaching searches (see #donedeal) and the media will run with rumors. The coaches then have to respond in order to quell any concerns their fanbases, employers or recruits might have. Also, as Goose has alluded in the past that schools will have people around the program quietly make phone calls to possible candidates just to test the waters. Most of the time these calls go no further than that. But I wouldn't be surprised if TCU was just testing the waters with Jamey Dixon and was pleasantly surprised when he wanted to come home.

No idea if the Ewing hire will pan out or not. I like it better than the Mullin hire but I could see it going good or bad.

Yeah.  And a lot of coaches get their names thrown into the rumor mill because it's in their own best interest.  Someone they are tight with in the media gets a text from someone "in the know" that says there's interest in X coach to Y school and wahlah, all of a sudden coach X has been offered by school Y to the public, despite school Y never doing anything more than have someone behind the scenes test the temperature of the water in the event that plans A, B, and C don't work out and they can fall back to coach X.

Just happened with Alford at Indiana.  "Alford's an Indiana guy.  He's killing it with UCLA this year!  Alford to Indiana!"  The reality is if Alford had actually been offered he would be IU's coach.  There's a reason that he never said anything about being at UCLA beyond this year until the day before Miller was hired.  For weeks before IU made their hire Alford simply said, "I'm focused on this season" and nothing about not going anywhere.  Then suddenly, after his season is over no less, he all of a sudden "100% won't be IU's coach?"  Alford no doubt got word that IU was hiring Miller and he was not a candidate and saved face by saying he loved being at UCLA, when in reality I would be entirely shocked if he was ever offered the job like it was rumored.  If he had been offered the job and turned it down, or had no interest in it, why let it hang out there with a non-committal answer to whether he was leaving UCLA while UCLA was playing in the NCAA Tournament?  Just thought his team might play better with the idea their coach might be leaving them the moment their season ends?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2017, 06:16:09 PM »

Completely agree. Coaches saying they aren't considering a school says very little about whether the school has real interest in them. Here, we have no proof G'town earnestly pursued any of the 4 mentioned.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2017, 07:05:32 PM »
Maybe Gtown didn't dig in deep with any of those candidates, but (1) Ewing doesn't get hired if they could get one of those candidates, and (2) one way or another, Gtown was sure it couldn't get one of those candidates before Ewing was hired.

Only caveat to that is if Ewing was a compromise between the school and JTII as a condition to JTII not blowing the place up, and the slow burn was to give alumni time to come around to the Ewing hire. Nothing would aid the process of alumni warming up to Ewing than being humbled by leaks that other candidates had politely declined.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2017, 07:24:17 PM »
The guy coached a decade plus under both Van Gundys & Steve Clifford.   Those three are widely regarded as three of the most prepared and detailed coaches in the league. 

I used to let a Van Gundys assistant use my desk late night after advance scouting the Bucks, the detail was astounding.  And he said it was off the charts compared to other programs.  If he put in 13+ years with these guys he learned a thing or two.  Anyone comparing this to Bo is way off.  Boylan is best example.  NBA coaches can really grind. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 11:14:23 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2017, 07:59:37 PM »
So how long does Ewing's rebuild take? And how soon will the "fire Ewing" threads start on GU scoop after they miss the tournament next year?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2017, 09:02:42 PM »
So how long does Ewing's rebuild take? And how soon will the "fire Ewing" threads start on GU scoop after they miss the tournament next year?

The latter will occur before the former.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2017, 09:08:48 PM »
Ewing has been an assistant in the NBA for 14 years and was considered one of the up-and-coming coaching prospects. Was a finalist for the Sacramento Kings job last year.

You're right to call BS on the previous poster's claim that Ewing has no experience, but if he were truly "one of the up-and-coming coaching prospects," he wouldn't have been an assistant for 14 years.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2017, 09:18:12 PM »
I just can't see Ewing wanting to do what it takes to recruit at a high level, but I certainly don't know the guy personally.  I just get that feeling.

Ewing was the hardest working athlete I have ever seen. He never took a break. No reason to think he won't work just as hard at coaching and recruiting.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2017, 09:22:06 PM »
but if he were truly "one of the up-and-coming coaching prospects," he wouldn't have been an assistant for 14 years.

How long was Wojo an assistant?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2017, 09:30:50 PM »
You're right to call BS on the previous poster's claim that Ewing has no experience, but if he were truly "one of the up-and-coming coaching prospects," he wouldn't have been an assistant for 14 years.

Yeah, Roy Williams and Tom Izzo each just hung around as assistants for a dozen-plus years and look at how crappy they've been as head coaches!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2017, 09:33:11 PM »

I totally agree with this, TAMU.

I remember Crean putting out a statement that he was withdrawing his name from consideration for the Illinois job after Self left, but I know for a fact that he was not a serious candidate.

"Misinformation" is the right word, and then the rumors feed on themselves. This especially is common with lists of names, as some of the lazier media types just keep repeating the names.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2017, 10:00:29 PM »
Umm, hello?
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2017, 10:02:20 PM »
Yeah, Roy Williams and Tom Izzo each just hung around as assistants for a dozen-plus years and look at how crappy they've been as head coaches!

Then there was that Lombardi fellow......

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2017, 12:59:41 AM »
Then there was that Lombardi fellow......

This ain't the 1950s NFL.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2017, 01:10:18 AM »

I never said he would be a crappy coach.  I just don't think it's accurate to characterize him as one of the up and coming coaching prospect.  For an up and comer he sure got passed over a lot.

Izzo and Roy are different scenarios and from much different eras.  Izzo was the coach in waiting at
MSU for years and Roy was extremely loyal to Dean and UNC.  Both were college lifers as well.  Mullen and Sidney Lowe are the best apples to apples comparisons I can come up with off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are others, maybe more successful, examples.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2017, 01:21:46 AM »
Then there was Bill Walsch who was an assistant for 16 years before he finally got a head coaching job at Stanford. 

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2017, 01:38:26 AM »
Mullen and Sidney Lowe are the best apples to apples comparisons I can come up with off the top of my head.

Mullin had no coaching experience. he was always in the front office.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2017, 01:38:54 AM »
Look, loyalty means you hire people like Bill Guthridge at UNC, Hank or Rick at our place or even Joey at DePaul. All had been Associates or Assistants under very successful head coaches.

But Georgetown and Ewing. Dumb, dumb dumb!

I'm sure Patrick Ewing is a smart guy and knows basketball. But he has NO coaching experience. No recruiting experience and No administrative/compliance experience. All are important in a head coach. I'm guessing JTII is behind this one.

Kinda like us choosing Bo Ellis, Butch Lee, Maurice Lucas, Bernard Toone or George Thompson as our head coaches. All were tremendous Warriors but not ready for prime time at a program that seeks to position itself as an elite program.

We shall see.

He has more coaching experience than Fred Hoiberg had when he took over at Iowa State. That worked out pretty well for both parties.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”