[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: EwingTown  (Read 24639 times)

fjm

• All American
EwingTown
« on: April 03, 2017, 01:47:33 PM »
Done deal.

CAGASS24

• All American
Re: EwingTown
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 01:50:02 PM »
My gut says this will be a disaster

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 01:51:01 PM »
I make no predictions.   I thought Mullin was going to be a disaster, but he seems to be growing into it.     Maybe Ewing will, too. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 01:56:41 PM »
A huge hire. Literally.

Now Wojo needs to find a big for the coaching staff to help win the Big East Noon-ball Tournament.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 01:58:36 PM »
I just can't see Ewing wanting to do what it takes to recruit at a high level, but I certainly don't know the guy personally.  I just get that feeling.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 02:05:11 PM »
Ewing is a strange fit. But he put his time in as an assistant. I'm hoping it works out to the tune of us beating them twice every year.
Should be an interesting hire.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 02:15:45 PM »
This seems like a total gamble to me. On the one hand, Ewing has paid his dues and by all accounts has been deeply committed to developing coaching skills. His humility to be an assistant for so long for so many different coaches shows that he's willing to do what it takes to grow. On the other hand, he's been gunning to be a head coach for a while now. So why did it take so long? Other NBA teams and colleges must have considered him, but passed. This seems like truly a coin-flip scenario.

Heads or tails, it's going to be a ride.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 02:30:34 PM »
To me, it seems like both sides had to talk themselves into this deal. I don't know, but I think that doesn't bode well here. In my mind it reminds me (somewhat) of the Sox hiring Robin Ventura as manager. Ewing obviously has coaching experience, but he wants to be an NBA head coach, not a college coach.

muwarrior69

• All American

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 02:52:49 PM »
Keep an eye on Western Kentucky assistant coach Shammond Williams, who played with Ewing with the Sonics, as a possible Georgetown assistant

Shammond Williams played a huge role in recruiting 2017 McDonald's All-American and consenus top 5 2017 recruit, 7'0" Mitchell Robinson & top 40 Josh Anderson to Western Kentucky.  Turns out Williams is Mitchell Robinson's god father, so could Williams possibly bring Robinson with him?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »
If he surrounds himself with good assistants, I think this could work.

I would think he'd be a darn good recruiter who could sell mommies on himself and on the wonderful GT experience: "I know because I lived it. I won a national title, I was the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft and I got my college degree. Georgetown knows how to turn out great young men - and so do I."

As for the X's and O's, who knows if he'll be any good? Also, coaches who were superstars sometimes get frustrated when young players don't have the kind of passion, work ethic, etc as they did. As always, ego management and ability to motivate are more important than X's and O's.

As another poster said, the man paid his dues. I like seeing guys like this rewarded. I hope he does great in all but 2 games every year (or 3 if there's a BE tourney matchup).

Mike

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 03:05:30 PM »
I will reserve judgment. It could work. If he gets a couple experienced assistants who have previously been head coaches, and a couple really good recruiters, who knows. His name brings a lot of cache. It is a recruiting tool in and of itself.

Bottom line is I doubt it could be any worse than JTIII. They have nothing to lose. Might as well take a shot on one of your most famous alumni...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 03:08:33 PM by Coleman »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 03:12:48 PM »

I would think he'd be a darn good recruiter who could sell mommies on himself and on the wonderful GT experience: "I know because I lived it. I won a national title, I was the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft and I got my college degree. Georgetown knows how to turn out great young men - and so do I."

As for the X's and O's, who knows if he'll be any good? Also, coaches who were superstars sometimes get frustrated when young players don't have the kind of passion, work ethic, etc as they did. As always, ego management and ability to motivate are more important than X's and O's.

As another poster said, the man paid his dues. I like seeing guys like this rewarded. I hope he does great in all but 2 games every year (or 3 if there's a BE tourney matchup).

Mike

I would hate to beat them 3 times and then lose to them in the NCAA Tournament.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »
I don't know about cache, but Ewing's name definitely brings cachet.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 03:14:37 PM »
Could this be a good hire? Absolutely. I think Ewing is more likely to install an appealing play style then JT3, and I think he's smart enough to build a solid staff to acclimate him to the college game.

That said, I'm not a fan of how this transpired. Getting turned down 4 times to settle on the alumni option is a bad look.

Interesting question, which looks "worse" from the outsider perspective? Georgetown being turned down publicly by numerous targets and selling on the effective "interior hire", or Marquette not putting out as many feelers and virtually going straight to the interior hire of Buzz Williams in 2008?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »
Look, loyalty means you hire people like Bill Guthridge at UNC, Hank or Rick at our place or even Joey at DePaul. All had been Associates or Assistants under very successful head coaches.

But Georgetown and Ewing. Dumb, dumb dumb!

I'm sure Patrick Ewing is a smart guy and knows basketball. But he has NO coaching experience. No recruiting experience and No administrative/compliance experience. All are important in a head coach. I'm guessing JTII is behind this one.

Kinda like us choosing Bo Ellis, Butch Lee, Maurice Lucas, Bernard Toone or George Thompson as our head coaches. All were tremendous Warriors but not ready for prime time at a program that seeks to position itself as an elite program.

We shall see.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 03:23:08 PM »
Look, loyalty means you hire people like Bill Guthridge at UNC, Hank or Rick at our place or even Joey at DePaul. All had been Associates or Assistants under very successful head coaches.

I'm sure Patrick Ewing is a smart guy and knows basketball. But he has NO coaching experience. No recruiting experience and No administrative/compliance experience. All are important in a head coach. I'm guessing JTII is behind this one.

Kinda like us choosing Bo Ellis, Butch Lee, Maurice Lucas, Bernard Toone or George Thompson as our head coaches. All were tremendous Warriors but not ready for prime time at a program that seeks to position itself as an elite program.

We shall see.

Ewing has been an assistant in the NBA for 14 years and was considered one of the up-and-coming coaching prospects. Was a finalist for the Sacramento Kings job last year.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 03:24:49 PM »
Keep an eye on Western Kentucky assistant coach Shammond Williams, who played with Ewing with the Sonics, as a possible Georgetown assistant

Shammond Williams played a huge role in recruiting 2017 McDonald's All-American and consenus top 5 2017 recruit, 7'0" Mitchell Robinson & top 40 Josh Anderson to Western Kentucky.  Turns out Williams is Mitchell Robinson's god father, so could Williams possibly bring Robinson with him?

Part of JTIII's demise was not keeping the DC area kids home.  One of his assistants needs to be local and have ties to the high schools and AAU programs in Virginia, Maryland and DC.  He gets those recruits to stay and he should be fine. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 03:39:14 PM »
To me, it seems like both sides had to talk themselves into this deal. I don't know, but I think that doesn't bode well here. In my mind it reminds me (somewhat) of the Sox hiring Robin Ventura as manager. Ewing obviously has coaching experience, but he wants to be an NBA head coach, not a college coach.

Have to say, I don't see much in common in those two hirings at all. 

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »
Coach Ewing, I welcome you back to the Big East with open arms... on one condition.
You need to do what Mullin was too cowardly to do and bring back the short shorts.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 03:44:18 PM »

Mike

Great line bro.  Are you vying for an assistant's spot at Gtown?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 03:46:05 PM »
Could this be a good hire? Absolutely. I think Ewing is more likely to install an appealing play style then JT3, and I think he's smart enough to build a solid staff to acclimate him to the college game.

That said, I'm not a fan of how this transpired. Getting turned down 4 times to settle on the alumni option is a bad look.

Interesting question, which looks "worse" from the outsider perspective? Georgetown being turned down publicly by numerous targets and selling on the effective "interior hire", or Marquette not putting out as many feelers and virtually going straight to the interior hire of Buzz Williams in 2008?
The outsiders are not even worried about this. G'town aimed high and got a guy that they knew they could get. If any firing was ripped on was NC State, while the season was still going on.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »

We shall see.

in a way, more like MU choosing 20-year NBA assistant coach Jim Boylan.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 03:50:43 PM »
The outsiders are not even worried about this. G'town aimed high and got a guy that they knew they could get. If any firing was ripped on was NC State, while the season was still going on.

They aimed high and got shot down by Mike Brey, Shaka Smart, Ed Cooley, and Chris Mack. Hard to justify you "got your guy" when options 1, 2, 3, and 4 all said no.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »
They aimed high and got shot down by Mike Brey, Shaka Smart, Ed Cooley, and Chris Mack. Hard to justify you "got your guy" when options 1, 2, 3, and 4 all said no.

Just a hypothetical:
What if the GU Admin wanted to stay in the JTII tree, but needed to appease donors and fans who wanted to see the program go in a different direction? How would they go about doing that?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

feedback