[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: VOTE NOW! The Tournament is back!  (Read 20249 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: VOTE NOW! The Tournament is back!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 11:42:36 AM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 12:38:14 PM »
A very experimental rule change will be tested: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19078511/zach-lowe-basketball-tournament-innovative-end-game-rule

That's stupid -- and overly complicated.

They should just treat all intentional fouls in crunch time like a technical -- let the fouled player shoot whatever shots he is entitled to and then let his team bring the ball back in.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 12:43:19 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 01:48:43 PM »
That's stupid -- and overly complicated.

They should just treat all intentional fouls in crunch time like a technical -- let the fouled player shoot whatever shots he is entitled to and then let his team bring the ball back in.

I disagree, I think it's a great idea. I like the idea of teams actually playing basketball at the end instead of go-foul-me. The only downside is the lack of buzzer-beaters, but every game will end with a made basket, either from the field or from the line. I think that's a positive.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 02:04:09 PM »
I disagree, I think it's a great idea. I like the idea of teams actually playing basketball at the end instead of go-foul-me. The only downside is the lack of buzzer-beaters, but every game will end with a made basket, either from the field or from the line. I think that's a positive.
No buzzer beaters per se, but would be sudden death as in in the NFL.  Would need an additional item on the scoreboard also to let everyone (including fans) see the target score.  Sounds hokey to me.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 02:14:26 PM »
No buzzer beaters per se, but would be sudden death as in in the NFL.  Would need an additional item on the scoreboard also to let everyone (including fans) see the target score.  Sounds hokey to me.

It is like reverse baseball. Baseball has a target number of outs, this gives a target number of points.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2017, 02:17:58 PM »
It is like reverse baseball. Baseball has a target number of outs, this gives a target number of points.
Nah.  The winning score would be like a  buzzer beater for all intents and purposes and similar to sudden death.  The number of outs is more in line with the clock.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »
This method rally makes a lot of sense when there is a blowout.  So if XYZU is winning 99-56, the target score is still 106.   Goofy.  I suppose there could be parameters, but........

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2017, 02:34:11 PM »
Interesting that as of right now, Overseas Elite (two time defending TBT champs) do not have a team registered for this year's edition.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »
This rule change is only for the play in games, if I'm understanding correctly. Interesting change but it won't affect the MU team.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2017, 03:01:48 PM »
A very experimental rule change will be tested: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19078511/zach-lowe-basketball-tournament-innovative-end-game-rule

I love it. Not complicated at all. Would immensely improve the final minutes of games.

I would make one adjustment. Games that are less than 7 points at first clock stoppage within 4 minutes (or 5 points, 3 points, whatever the point number is decided to be), you play out as normal. So you still have buzzer beaters in close games, but you don't have teams that are down by 10 hacking away hoping to close the gap for 2 minutes. If the lead is larger than that margin, you shut down the clock and go for the target score. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:04:28 PM by Coleman »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2017, 03:08:55 PM »
I love it. Not complicated at all. Would immensely improve the final minutes of games.

I would make one adjustment. Games that are less than 7 points at first clock stoppage within 4 minutes (or 5 points, 3 points, whatever the point number is decided to be), you play out as normal. So you still have buzzer beaters in close games, but you don't have teams that are down by 10 hacking away hoping to close the gap for 2 minutes. If the lead is larger than that margin, you shut down the clock and go for the target score.
Who's on first, What's on..........

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
How about:

Under one minute (or 90 sec) to go every defensive foul in the backcourt is one shot plus the ball.

This encourages the defense to actually go for steals. More time runs off the clock as the ball is advanced across half court vs the fraction of a second after an inbounds play and immediate foul.

This would work well in college (though the NBA probably needs something else). Would speed things up a little without getting too gimmicky.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 03:33:11 PM »
Are you guys on drugs? That would be the dumbest rule change I have ever heard in my life, even worse than the penalty box for soccer.

Basketball is a timed game, not a possession game. You are changing the fundamental rules of basketball by doing that and playing the 37 minutes of the game one way and changing the entire complexion of the game for the last 3 minutes. Its insanely stupid.

Heres a thought, make your free throws and put the game out of reach earlier.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2017, 03:35:18 PM »
Basketball is a timed game, not a possession game. You are changing the fundamental rules of basketball by doing that and playing the 37 minutes of the game one way and changing the entire complexion of the game for the last 3 minutes. Its insanely stupid.

Fouling has already changed the entire complexion of the game for the last 3 minutes. This seeks to alleviate that complexion change and keep it looking like basketball and not hacksketball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2017, 03:39:29 PM »
Fouling has already changed the entire complexion of the game for the last 3 minutes. This seeks to alleviate that complexion change and keep it looking like basketball and not hacksketball.

Make your free throws. Or keep Dwight Howard and Deandre Jordan off the floor, real simple. If god forbid they decide to enact this mind numbingly stupid idea, keep it to the crap product that is the NBA. Dont touch the college game.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2017, 03:43:57 PM »

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »

So it will look more like basketball if you need a calculator to figure out when the game is over?
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2017, 04:28:08 PM »

Don't laugh.  I am told that Prince was actually a pretty decent baller - especially given his height.

Have some patience, FFS.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2017, 04:31:49 PM »
Don't laugh.  I am told that Prince was actually a pretty decent baller - especially given his height.

Not laughing at all! I'm saying I want EVERY game to end like that!
And then they'll all eat pancakes.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2017, 04:35:42 PM »
So it will look more like basketball if you need a calculator to figure out when the game is over?

If someone needs a calculator to add 7 to a basketball score, I'd recommend retaking their first grade math class.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2017, 04:36:54 PM »
Make your free throws. Or keep Dwight Howard and Deandre Jordan off the floor, real simple. If god forbid they decide to enact this mind numbingly stupid idea, keep it to the crap product that is the NBA. Dont touch the college game.

While I agree with you this shouldn't be (and won't be) implemented in college, it also won't be implemented in the NBA. And the NBA is a far better "product" than college. Even if you like college more than the NBA, and I consider myself in that group, it's pretty much impossible to argue that it's a better product than the NBA

The NBA is far cleaner, far better players, far better ratings.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2017, 04:41:20 PM »
While I agree with you this shouldn't be (and won't be) implemented in college, it also won't be implemented in the NBA. And the NBA is a far better "product" than college. Even if you like college more than the NBA, and I consider myself in that group, it's pretty much impossible to argue that it's a better product than the NBA

Have some patience, FFS.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2017, 04:51:02 PM »

Unless by "cleaner", you mean player payments are out in the open, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there Bob.
The game itself is not cleaner.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2017, 04:57:40 PM »
Yes. Officials are much more lenient on travel calls in the NBA. But I know NBA refs are exponentially better than college refs. And NBA refs tend to let things go in the regular season.

Oh well. Not the time and place to get into an NBA vs. College debate. Support our alumni team!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2017, 05:37:40 PM »
Is that how it works?
I think a) we need enough votes to get in tournament and b) if I remember correctly the GM of some of the leading vote getters can put an additional player on roster
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire