'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 40 years ago today Marquette won the National Title  (Read 7385 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: 40 years ago today Marquette won the National Title
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 08:20:38 PM »
Sir

I learned that day that you were an A+ man and have kept that status. I might have snuck a beer or two that night, but hanging with you the Commish that night was a special night.
If I never thanked you before, thank you for a great night nearly 40 years ago!!!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 08:34:57 PM »
Had a great time at the Omni in Atlanta that night.  Seems like yesterday.  :D

Dude, you and eye finally agree on somethin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 08:36:51 PM »
It was my freshman year at Marquette.  It sure would be nice to get back to that promised land again.....

Here da thin', da Warriors were losin' at halftime of all tree games, butt came back ta winn,  until dey reach da FF, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 09:24:40 PM »
40 years ago tonight, I was one of a couple thousand people in Brooks Memorial Union. We watched the game together. I'd been following Marquette since 1965 and was a junior. I was there with my future wife, who couldn't give a rat's backside about basketball but knew a good party when she saw it.

I couldn't possibly see how we could lose. The thought never entered my mind, even when NC took the lead in the second half. We just believed. We poured out onto Wisconsin Avenue in the pouring rain in what was the best party of my life -- perhaps with the exception of my wedding and the arrival of our children.

What I really want to know is how many of you Scoopers still have Wells Street parking meters. Or part of the magnometers from Mitchell Field?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2017, 09:30:05 PM »
40 years ago tonight, I was one of a couple thousand people in Brooks Memorial Union. We watched the game together. I'd been following Marquette since 1965 and was a junior. I was there with my future wife, who couldn't give a rat's backside about basketball but knew a good party when she saw it.

I couldn't possibly see how we could lose. The thought never entered my mind, even when NC took the lead in the second half. We just believed. We poured out onto Wisconsin Avenue in the pouring rain in what was the best party of my life -- perhaps with the exception of my wedding and the arrival of our children.

What I really want to know is how many of you Scoopers still have Wells Street parking meters. Or part of the magnometers from Mitchell Field?
And you married her?
Goal is National Championship

Phuket MU Fan

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2017, 09:38:14 PM »
Have been a die hard MU fan since Brian Brunkhorst graduated from my high school and played for Marquette.  Unfortunately, during the tournament I was on a nuclear fast attack sub in the Med with a hundred of my closest friends trailing a Russian missle sub.  I knew MU had made the tournament, but didn't find out they won it all until two weeks after it was over.  Back in those days you received no news while you were on patrol.  Missing that tournament run was one of my only regrets for spending time in the service. Am counting on Wojo to take us back there one more time.  He'd better not let me down.  ;D

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 09:39:58 PM »

Our flight arrived back in Milwaukee about an hour after the team so we didn't witness the welcome, but the airport was totally trashed.  Must've been a great party....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 09:48:19 PM »
That's my story too 82! Well....it's my dad's story.....and he was in 8th grade.... ;D

Just giving you and my other favorite old timers a hard time ;)

Eh? Speak up, you young whippersnapper! I cain't hear ye!!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 09:57:52 PM »
With my dad watching.  A few years later chose Marquette.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2017, 10:00:25 PM »
Some great stories, fella's. Was a night that many will never forget. Especially love the going to MU sight unseen stories.

I was lucky to take a campus tour at Sir Lawrence's apartment in his post grad years. Without that visit I might have ended up at Harvard.

Harvard's loss, my friend.

I had trouble spelling Havrard. They got a restraining order to keep me at least 1,000 feet from campus. I threatened to go to Yale and they offered to pay my tuition.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2017, 10:02:13 PM »
Sir Lawrence...Me Too! Watched the game on 7th floor TV room at McCormick before heading out for the revelry. Remember someone pouring one of those large cans of Foster's Lager over my head in the rain and thinking how much it burned my eyes. Was that you!?!  ;)

mufvr

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2017, 10:05:14 PM »
Crazy night!  Thank god for Milwaukee's sake there was a light rain that night.  The team's arrival at the airport at 2:00 AM was insane; 10,000 drunk fans waiting to greet them.  Memories that will never be lost.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 10:19:45 PM »
Have been a die hard MU fan since Brian Brunkhorst graduated from my high school and played for Marquette.  Unfortunately, during the tournament I was on a nuclear fast attack sub in the Med with a hundred of my closest friends trailing a Russian missle sub.  I knew MU had made the tournament, but didn't find out they won it all until two weeks after it was over.  Back in those days you received no news while you were on patrol.  Missing that tournament run was one of my only regrets for spending time in the service. Am counting on Wojo to take us back there one more time.  He'd better not let me down.  ;D

Thank you for your service!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2017, 01:44:24 AM »
Phuket Fan

From Abbottsford to Phuket, you must have a lot of stories to tell. Thank you for your service and hope life in Phuket is as good as it sounds. 
I would bet finding a hot beef like home in Phuket would be quite the challenge. Sounds like the beach makes it worth it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2017, 01:57:39 AM »
4ever

Will always be thankful for the Cloud Piercer for the KState win. Never would have predicted that, but he came up big and rest is history.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2017, 07:55:56 AM »
Funny thin', he sat down next ta me for most of the next game. Neva new Jim was capable of smilin' 'til dat infamous dey in Oklahoma City, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »
And you married her?

I did indeed. She has been Ms. Dgies for 37 years and has been a great sport about my addiction to MU Basketball. Doesn't go very often, but looks the other way when I do.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:47:40 AM by dgies9156 »

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 01:17:02 PM »
Watched this game in its entirety for the first time the other night (I know, inexcusable).  It is amazing how much the game has changed.  few things that stood out:

1) Only guy who would drive to the basket was Butch Lee.  Everyone else who drove would pull up for a jump shot and avoid contact.
2) Much more sportsmanship in those days.
3) with no 3 point shot was zone D more popular then?  Why wouldn't teams just pack it in?  MU zone defense looked tough to crack most of the game.
3) A lot of travel calls.  Although, there were more travels called this year, so maybe not that much different anymore.