[Today at 10:19:19 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Lonzo Ball  (Read 8749 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Lonzo Ball
« on: March 25, 2017, 04:56:39 PM »
Is this guy overrated? Every mock I have seen has him going #1 or #2. But, he was only the 3rd best guard on the floor last night behind Monk and Fox.

I see the super, Rhonda Rowsey-type hype on the guy and it makes me wonder. He will probably be an NBA all-star and he has great court awareness, but I see guys that look better.

But, his shot is absolutely brutal. Makes jjj's shooting form as a freshman look textbook by comparison.

I would take Fultz, Monk, Fox, Tatum, and Jackson all ahead of Ball as this could be one of the best draft classes in a long time. There could be as many as 8-10 future all-stars here.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Lonzo Ball
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 04:58:33 PM »
Don't no 'bout Lonzo, man. Butt, his old man has a grate future in stand up comedy, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 06:13:48 PM »
I think he's the 3rd best point guard in this draft. As bad as his shot form is at least it goes in. Fox will need to develop his shot a tooooon to be much more than TJ Ford in the NBA.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 06:20:05 PM »
Kid is a hooper, ignore the dad. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 08:09:39 PM »
That shot is not going to work in the NBA.  However his vision is pretty darn good.  Worth a high level pick IMO.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 08:10:13 PM »
Kid is a hooper, ignore the dad. 
+1

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 08:33:40 PM »
Yeah he can play.

Don't let last night convince you that Monk and Fox are better.  Ball just won frosh of the year, so they both played like they had something to prove.  That can work for a game, but probably not for a career....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »
That shot is not going to work in the NBA.  However his vision is pretty darn good.  Worth a high level pick IMO.

I am absolutely not predicting he'll be the next Magic ... but many said almost this exact same thing about Magic.

If Ball is a hard-working kid, he will develop a shot that will work in the NBA. He already has amazing court sense, and that is a true gift that is almost impossible to learn.

Heck, even JJJ's shot got improved markedly through hard work.

I'd take Ball in a heartbeat.

I do love Fox, though. And Monk reminds me a little of Bradley Beal.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 11:19:26 PM »
I think there are some really great prospects in the draft(tatum,monk,fox,fultz) but i still think lonzo is better. I think he can impact a team right away

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 11:23:32 PM »
Based on this thread Dennis Smith will be the most overlooked player in this draft by a good margin.  And then Lauri Markkanan.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 11:53:37 PM »
Based on this thread Dennis Smith will be the most overlooked player in this draft by a good margin.  And then Lauri Markkanan.
this year's draft is loaded with talented guards

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 11:40:44 AM »
I think there are some really great prospects in the draft(tatum,monk,fox,fultz) but i still think lonzo is better. I think he can impact a team right away

I think Lonzo will be the best rookie - but I don't know if he will be the best long-term.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 11:45:35 AM »

Smith would easily be a Top 3 guy in a normal year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 12:48:03 PM »
Jason Kidd, with a little more height.    If he fixes his jumper, his ceiling will be higher.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
Jason Kidd, with a little more height.    If he fixes his jumper, his ceiling will be higher.   

Higher than one of the top 10 point guards in NBA history?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 12:54:09 PM »

Agreed.  I don't think he'll be close to Jason Kidd.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 10:15:16 PM »

This is what's known as "recency bias." And I tend to agree that Ball won't be an all-time great.

Still, it does end up happening sometimes. I mean, there were a lot of people back in 2003 saying stuff like, "LeBron looks like he'll be good, obviously, but these yahoos predicting he'll be an all-time great must be smokin' some strong crack."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 01:46:04 AM »
I think Ball's floor is Rajon Rondo, without the locker room cancer element and being a general malcontent.  From all reports, he's a good kid and a great teammate, regardless of how his father acts.  He has the length, passing ability, and floor vision of Rondo.  His shot is wonky, but Id argue he's a better scorer than Rondo.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 08:50:21 AM »
I think Ball's floor is Rajon Rondo, without the locker room cancer element and being a general malcontent.  From all reports, he's a good kid and a great teammate, regardless of how his father acts.  He has the length, passing ability, and floor vision of Rondo.  His shot is wonky, but Id argue he's a better scorer than Rondo.

Reasonable.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »
If he has the work ethic to be the best player he can possibly be i can definitely see him as one of the best in the league and maybe eventually considered top 10 all time

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 12:25:50 PM »
He's another Victor Oladipo.  Media loves him, bad shot... but if he fixes it, could have a decent career and start on a bad team.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 07:51:02 PM »
now "zo" is better than markelle and on and on and...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2700493-lonzo-ball-says-hes-a-better-nba-draft-prospect-than-markelle-fultz

i mean, come on man!  really? and he's gonna be better than steph...and he's gonna be better than magic...seriously?  is this what it's come down to today?  ok, gotta love the passion, right? nope!  it's stupid.  just go out and show us!  anyone gonna bring all these quotes up if he DOESN'T live up to all this hype?  why create anymore pressure?  i know, just put lonzo and markelle and whoever else out there at half court and see who's "stream" is the furthest.  then, the winner has something to brag about heyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 08:25:52 PM »
Is this guy overrated? Every mock I have seen has him going #1 or #2. But, he was only the 3rd best guard on the floor last night behind Monk and Fox.

I see the super, Rhonda Rowsey-type hype on the guy and it makes me wonder. He will probably be an NBA all-star and he has great court awareness, but I see guys that look better.

But, his shot is absolutely brutal. Makes jjj's shooting form as a freshman look textbook by comparison.

I would take Fultz, Monk, Fox, Tatum, and Jackson all ahead of Ball as this could be one of the best draft classes in a long time. There could be as many as 8-10 future all-stars here.
The court Awareness and vision can't be taught . That combined with ability to play at high speed is what makes him valuable . As to the shot, Keith Wilkes a UCLA great many years had a very awkward shot and he went on to be an NBA All Star and earn many rings.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 11:55:33 PM »
now "zo" is better than markelle and on and on and...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2700493-lonzo-ball-says-hes-a-better-nba-draft-prospect-than-markelle-fultz

i mean, come on man!  really? and he's gonna be better than steph...and he's gonna be better than magic...seriously?  is this what it's come down to today?  ok, gotta love the passion, right? nope!  it's stupid.  just go out and show us!  anyone gonna bring all these quotes up if he DOESN'T live up to all this hype?  why create anymore pressure?  i know, just put lonzo and markelle and whoever else out there at half court and see who's "stream" is the furthest.  then, the winner has something to brag about heyn'a?

His 3-star younger brother (not even in the top 100) is also offended and finds it absurd that he wasn't a McDonald's All-American.  Family is a little nuts.

feedback