[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is Next Year Bucky's Most important In The Last 19?  (Read 8747 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Is Next Year Bucky's Most important In The Last 19?
« on: March 25, 2017, 02:14:12 PM »
Since it is the off-season we expand the list of possible topics to college basketball in general ...

Bucky is tied with Gonzaga for with the fourth longest streak of NCAA appearances at 19 (Kansas 28, Duke 22, MSU 20 are ahead).  Next year this streak will be tested like it has not in the last 19.

First, Bucky had four senior starters this year ... Koenig, Hayes, Brown, and Showalter.

Combined:

Minutes 113 (56% of the 200 minutes per game)
Points 43.2 (59% of the 73/game they average)
Rebounds 13.4 (36% of the 37 per game they average)

Yes, they have Happ returning.  They can only go so far with Happ and a bunch of question marks, including Trice and Iverson. 

See MU last year, could not make the tourney (or the NIT) with first rounder Ellenson and a bunch of question marks.  See LSU last year, they could not make the tourney with No.1 pick Simmons and a bunch of question marks.

So next year Bucky officially becomes Gard's team.  What will happen with them?  Right now I would only rank Izzo/Michigan State ahead of Bucky in the Big 10.  Will they fall from this mantle to "just another decent Big 10 team?"  One that makes the tourney a few years in a row and then sits out?

Can Gard make the transition like Bo did from Dick Bennett or will Gard turn Bucky into Iowa or Ohio State (to steal a from my Archie Miller comment)?

You agree about the importance of next year for Bucky?

I don't think Bucky makes the big dance next year.  You agree with this?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Is Next Year Bucky's Most important In The Last 19?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 02:17:11 PM »
The Badgers are not going to be very good next year.

But who gives a crap? Go ask this on the Madison board.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 02:20:06 PM »
W. G. a F?  It's the badgers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JD

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 02:39:51 PM »
Since it is the off-season we expand the list of possible topics to college basketball in general ...

Bucky is tied with Gonzaga for with the fourth longest streak of NCAA appearances at 19 (Kansas 28, Duke 22, MSU 20 are ahead).  Next year this streak will be tested like it has not in the last 19.

First, Bucky had four senior starters this year ... Koenig, Hayes, Brown, and Showalter.

Combined:

Yes, they have Happ returning.  They can only go so far with Happ and a bunch of question marks, including Trice and Iverson. 

See MU last year, could not make the tourney (or the NIT) with first rounder Ellenson and a bunch of question marks.  See LSU last year, they could not make the tourney with No.1 pick Simmons and a bunch of question marks.

So next year Bucky officially becomes Gard's team.  What will happen with them?  Right now I would only rank Izzo/Michigan State ahead of Bucky in the Big 10.  Will they fall from this mantle to "just another decent Big 10 team?"  One that makes the tourney a few years in a row and then sits out?

Can Gard make the transition like Bo did from Dick Bennett or will Gard turn Bucky into Iowa or Ohio State (to steal a from my Archie Miller comment)?

Who gives a f**k. 
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 03:15:04 PM »
Superbar.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 03:58:57 PM »
What's wrong with Apple the Wisconsin Badgers?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 04:11:29 PM »

Ahh, the joys of naivete. Remember 2013-14? "They can only go so far with Brust and a bunch of question  marks" we thought. Well, those question marks (Dekker, Kaminsky, Gasser, Jackson) did okay for themselves by "only going" to back-to-back Final Fours.

Or how about January 2016? "They can only go so far with Hayes, Koenig, a bunch of question marks, an interim coach, and a 9-9 record that includes losses to Western Illinois and Milwaukee" we postulated. Then they found themselves "only going" to back-to-back Sweet 16s, both times mere seconds away from Elite 8s.

They return a second-team All-American, two key role players (and their role players annoyingly ALWAYS step up), a talented freshmen crop, and a system that has put them in the tourney for the past two decades straight. Writing them off at this point would be idiotic. Hell, if they couldn't collapse in 2016, they'll probably never die. They're like Jason or Freddy, they just keep coming back to torment us.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 04:29:48 PM »
Keep in mind, this is the same dude that started a thread talking about how Bucky was choking down the stretch. Basically, take what he says and assume the opposite and you'll have a pretty good chance of being right.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 05:07:28 PM »
Keep in mind, this is the same dude that started a thread talking about how Bucky was choking down the stretch. Basically, take what he says and assume the opposite and you'll have a pretty good chance of being right.

Basically, put him and MUFINY in a blender, run it in reverse, and you'll have a never-ending font of knowledge ;D

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 06:20:02 PM »
Basically, put him and MUFINY in a blender, run it in reverse, and you'll have a never-ending font of knowledge ;D

MUFNY for the character of any human being on planets and Heise for all analysis of the quality of a product.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 07:02:01 PM »

Combined:

Please post this on the Badger board and I will respond there. We can have a whole thread
http://www.scout.com/college/wisconsin/forums/2565-kohl-center-basketball-board
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 07:08:05 PM »
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 07:12:02 PM »
Who gives a f**k.

Agreed.

That said, it will be interesting to witness. If Gard is less than perfect, Barry will be all over him like a badger over a dead mouse.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 07:29:07 PM »
No
Actually..."yes" take this sh!t to a board about another school. 

i can't believe that some folks (heisey/kenosha) don't get that a lot of us don't live in WI and don't give a rip about other WI school's basketball programs. 

should i start threads ore posting about KU hoops because i live in Kansas City?  No.  our tie is Marquette not wisconsin. 

fjm

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »
UW scoop, eh?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 11:25:46 PM »
UW scoop, eh?

I'm not usually one to yell "superbar" or complain about talk about other schools.....but I did find it interesting that in my nightly ritual of clicking on threads with new posts from bottom to top, three of the first four were completely about the Badgers.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 07:25:41 AM »
I'm not usually one to yell "superbar" or complain about talk about other schools.....but I did find it interesting that in my nightly ritual of clicking on threads with new posts from bottom to top, three of the first four were completely about the Badgers.

Well, the badgers have two FFs, two S16 in the last four years.  They are also working on a string of 19 straight NCAA tournament appearances, after having just one in the previous 47 years.

Like it or not they HAVE BEEN one of the truly elite teams in college basketball the last several years.  Now they are arguably graduating their best class ever and what I think is still an unproven coach is now in charge.  What comes next is a huge unknown.

They are an important team at an important juncture and this is a basketball board that has no problem discussing the following topics on the first page:

Northwestern,
other Big East teams,
Bill Murray,
women's basketball,
other coaching changes,
Florida basketball,
Indiana basketball,
Georgetown coaching change
ACC basketball 

So silly me for thinking a discussion of an important team at an important juncture in their history was warranted.

The exception is Brew, his was the only non-childish response.

I have to remind myself again that there are three topics set people off here ... Norte Dame, Wisconsin, and Crean.

So I apologize for thinking that maybe this one time this board Was capable of a rational commentary relating to this.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:29:08 AM by Dread Pirate Roberts »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 08:44:14 AM »
Well, the badgers have two FFs, two S16 in the last four years.  They are also working on a string of 19 straight NCAA tournament appearances, after having just one in the previous 47 years.

Like it or not they HAVE BEEN one of the truly elite teams in college basketball the last several years.  Now they are arguably graduating their best class ever and what I think is still an unproven coach is now in charge.  What comes next is a huge unknown.

They are an important team at an important juncture and this is a basketball board that has no problem discussing the following topics on the first page:

Northwestern,
other Big East teams,
Bill Murray,
women's basketball,
other coaching changes,
Florida basketball,
Indiana basketball,
ACC basketball 

So silly me for thinking a discussion of an important team at an important juncture in their history was warranted.

I have to remind myself again that there are three topics set people off here ... Norte Dame, Wisconsin, and Crean.

So I apologize for thinking that maybe this one time this board Was capable of a rational commentary relating to this.

Geez, thanks for sharing!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »

Northwestern,
other Big East teams,
Bill Murray,
women's basketball,
other coaching changes,
Florida basketball,
Indiana basketball,
ACC basketball 

Ahh yes. The "put my thread that has absolutely nothing to do with MU basketball so I can get more attention and then cry victim because people say my ever important thread doesn't belong there" tactic. A classic Heise move.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 10:39:04 AM »

Combined:

I can only assume u are from wisconsin?  Cuz us alum feom the ither 49 states dont give a f*ck
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 11:58:55 AM »
this one time

I think you've identified the problem.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 12:40:26 PM »
I specifically said that I don't say things like Superbar.  I was just observing that a majoritybof the active threads last night were about Bucky.  I didn't say if it was good or bad.  Sorry if that came off childish
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:54:50 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 12:50:01 PM »
Agreed.

That said, it will be interesting to witness. If Gard is less than perfect, Barry will be all over him like a badger over a dead mouse.
Gard was less than perfect on Fri.  Had he told Hayes to miss the last FT (which shouldn't be difficult), the Badgers would be playing The Cocks today.  Also, FL needed to foul Showalter on the catch when up 3, and there would have been no OT.  Awful coaching by both teams in the last 5 seconds of both periods.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 12:52:56 PM »
Gard was less than perfect on Fri.  Had he told Hayes to miss the last FT (which shouldn't be difficult), the Badgers would be playing The Cocks today.  Also, FL needed to foul Showalter on the catch when up 3, and there would have been no OT.  Awful coaching by both teams in the last 5 seconds of both periods.

I heard that Gard DID tell Hayes to miss the last free throw. Of course, when you have a free throw shooter like Hayes, sometimes you tell them to miss and they make it on accident anyway. I don't have a rulebook pulled up, but I believe the free throw has to hit the rim to get the clock running, otherwise the defense takes it in from out of bounds. So Hayes did his best, and the outcome ended up being the worst anyway.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »
The clock starts on a missed FT when the ball is touched.