'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: I love Florida!  (Read 9555 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: I love Florida!
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »
Gators defense at the end of regulation was also suspect.
If you're up 3, all 5 guys need to defend the 3pt line. Concede the layup.

The only problem with it was they didn't foul. Otherwise they did exactly what you said. Showalter made an absolute prayer of a shot that had no business going in. If you are playing straight up D, you couldn't have defended the 3 any better. He took a one foot runner from 3.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2017, 10:31:40 AM »
Gators defense at the end of regulation was also suspect.
If you're up 3, all 5 guys need to defend the 3pt line. Concede the layup.

The last 5 minutes of regulation and most of OT were extremely poorly coached on Florida's end.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2017, 10:36:38 AM »
Well I certainly wouldn't put a forward on a PG who then blows past the forward and gets a clean look at 3 while 3 other defenders are flat footed inside the 3 point line
Nor would I--which was why I stated it was certainly a questionable approach.
Doesn't mean that the only other option is to allow an uncontested layup.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »
Chris Chiozza can have my baby!

I'm guessing Florida fans are still holding out their excitement until 1 more win. After all, they got bounced early in the real tournament - the SEC Tournament.

As you said earlier this month, conference tournament championships are greater than Elite 8's.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2017, 11:41:38 AM »
I'm guessing Florida fans are still holding out their excitement until 1 more win. After all, they got bounced early in the real tournament - the SEC Tournament.

As you said earlier this month, conference tournament championships are greater than Elite 8's.

They are, but keeping Wisconsin from competing for a national championship is what matters here, since as I said, that's bigger than a conference championship.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2017, 12:01:04 PM »
The last 5 minutes of regulation and most of OT were extremely poorly coached on Florida's end.
I came here to ask why Florida stopped playing offense for the last 2 minutes of regulation, especially their last two possessions when their lead was clearly slipping away. It was very frustrating to watch.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2017, 12:38:13 PM »
I came here to ask why Florida stopped playing offense for the last 2 minutes of regulation, especially their last two possessions when their lead was clearly slipping away. It was very frustrating to watch.

Yep - in the game thread, I asked why Florida stopped playing after 37 minutes...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2017, 01:19:38 PM »

The thing I respect, is that Florida's coach admitted this in the postgame, and gave his players credit for essentially saving his hide.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2017, 02:07:22 PM »
They are, but keeping Wisconsin from competing for a national championship is what matters here, since as I said, that's bigger than a conference championship.

Brew, you are more into this than I am, but will UW be competitive next season as they lose 4(?) seniors? Living here on the east coast I'm insulated from all the animus each side has for the other, but back in 2003 when we beat UK it seemed that the entire state was rooting for MU after Wisconsin lost in the same regional. Have thing got really that bad?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2017, 02:53:22 PM »
As the thread title says, I love Florida, too.

But I will admit that I was not loving the Gators as they pissed away their lead by playing prevent offense. When Showalter's shot went in, I cussed so loudly that my poor pup ran for cover under my desk in the room next door! I'm not proud of that.

And then I was in a freakin' ornery mood the entire OT, as Wiscy outplayed Fla badly even though Koenig was a non-factor.

And then came Chiozza's shot ... and all was right with the world!

I brushed my teeth, climbed into bed, and fell asleep almost immediately. And no doubt, with a big smile on my face!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2017, 02:56:15 PM »
Brew, you are more into this than I am, but will UW be competitive next season as they lose 4(?) seniors? Living here on the east coast I'm insulated from all the animus each side has for the other, but back in 2003 when we beat UK it seemed that the entire state was rooting for MU after Wisconsin lost in the same regional. Have thing got really that bad?

Since most "Badger fans" didn't actually attend UW, they are flexible when a bandwagon comes along.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2017, 04:04:38 PM »

I'm not ready to write UW off just yet. They lost 3 senior starters in 2013 and went to back-to-back Final Fours in 2014 and 2015. They lost 3 senior starters and a junior that went in the first round of the NBA draft in 2015 and went to back-to-back Sweet 16s. Next year they return a second-team All-American in Happ and both Trice and Iverson played significant minutes this year. They also bring in redshirt freshman Aleem Ford, who everyone is reportedly very high on as well as a couple of true freshmen in Reuvers and King that could be immediate contributors. They may take a step back, but until proven otherwise, I think they'll still be good.

In 2003, having successful in-state programs was somewhat of a novelty. The Bo Ryan era served to make Badger fans more and more intolerable by the year, and comments from the Dekkers, Kaminskys, Koenigs, and Hayes of the world have only made it worse. Sure, the bandwagon fans would likely come back, but the diehard, vocal Wisconsin fans are about as arrogant, entitled, and condescending as you will find in sports. Especially for a fanbase and program that has done very little to be arrogant or entitled.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.