[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Free Agent Tracker  (Read 47163 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Free Agent Tracker
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2017, 09:57:32 AM »
Pretty simply.  "You guys are both studs.  You play different positions.  Sam's already a major contributor for us.  I can't wait to have you join him on the court at Marquette."

This. Of course. There is no real need for Wojo to "spin" anything, just tell the truth to the Hausers.

As for muguru, buddy, you gotta settle down. You are completely losing your mind about something that might never happen, or it might happen but it's out of your control. Hell, it's basically out of Wojo's control, too.

I hope you are not this over-the-top loony about everything in your life.

"We're running out of Quaker Oat Squares! Get me more Quaker Oat Squares! If there are no Quaker Oat Squares in that cabinet tomorrow, it will be a horrible reflection on the shopper in this family!"

Keep things in perspective, man! Get a grip!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2017, 10:04:18 AM »
I have no doubt that Joey and his family love MU. However, I feel in the end it will be the fact that Joey and Sam will be completing for playing time that will result in Joey in going elsewhere.

You must have never had brothers. I never thought my brother was better than me at anything. I don't think Joey will have any doubts about his ability to get playing time over his brother.

Also, as others said, the two can play the same position but are better at other positions. Sam can play the 2, 3, and 4. Joey can play the 3,4, and 5.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2017, 10:10:08 AM »
You must have never had brothers. I never thought my brother was better than me at anything. I don't think Joey will have any doubts about his ability to get playing time over his brother.

Also, as others said, the two can play the same position but are better at other positions. Sam can play the 2, 3, and 4. Joey can play the 3,4, and 5.

You really think Sam can play the 2 or 3?  He can play them but could he guard anyone, not quick enough?  Stretch 4 is his best position.  For Joey, I think he
could play the 3.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2017, 10:16:31 AM »
You really think Sam can play the 2 or 3?  He can play them but could he guard anyone, not quick enough?  Stretch 4 is his best position.  For Joey, I think he
could play the 3.

Sam is a wing that can play the 4 if needed. I think he could play the 2 against certain teams.

From everything I can tell, Joey is a PF.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
Well unless they turn in performances like Markus and Sam, I think scoopers think all recruiting classes are disappointing. If they are "fairly valued" I won't be disappointed in the slightest. We needed a lot of bodies and had a lot of needs to fill. We don't need any of the freshmen to play major minutes next season. If Cain, Elliott, and John are the three last players in our rotation and Eke redshirts, we should still turn in a quality season. I would then fully expect them to continue to develop and eventually become high quality starters as upperclassmen.

From what I can see, Wojo is trying to build a program where freshman don't need to come in and carry a team. He had freshmen carry his teams in 15-16 and 16-17. I think 17-18 is the first season where that won't need to happen and I think we will be a better team for it.

We had two really good freshman starters last year but claiming they "carried" the team is nonsense.

Regarding this year's recruiting class - my hopes are that it is seriously undervalued by the "gurus". Otherwise the news isn't great. Rivals has 17 top 150 kids coming to the Big East, only one of whom (Cain) is heading to Marquette.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2017, 10:45:04 AM »
So all of you would be okay with seeing Joey in badger red?? That would absolutely suck, and if any of you don't think so..then there are badger boards to post on for your fandom. Duh, I get Coaches lose recruits all the time..but for those of you that are a little slow..when a kid commits elsewhere it's not only on the kid, the coach has to take some level of responsibility for losing him. It's a two way street. Now maybe if it's a kid where you really had no shot at, got in the game late etc, okay that's a different ball game.

When a recruit has a brother that plays on the team(especially when they are close), and another good friend, and you have been recruiting him harder and longer than any other coach, and he still decides to go elsewhere..especially an in state rival?? Look Joey is not the be all end all, I get that, especially if Wojo rebounds by landing a Kahvon Moore or something, but losing Joey to Wisconsin should sting a lot to each and every one of you. Michigan State...I can live with that.

I think you are missing the forest through the trees.

MU just signed up 3 high end players from the Detroit Public and Catholic League. 2 were finalists for Mr. Basketball in Michigan and the other was the starting center as a Junior on the Class A state Champion. They play in two of the historically best high school leagues in the whole country. They all played together  on the same club team. They are all tremendously athletic with high ceilings.  This is a huge recruiting achievement.  Michigan State or Michigan have rarely achieved this kind of recruiting success in their own backyard. MU has made a lot of noise in the Detroit high school basketball community which is a very good thing.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2017, 10:57:12 AM »
We had two really good freshman starters last year but claiming they "carried" the team is nonsense.

Regarding this year's recruiting class - my hopes are that it is seriously undervalued by the "gurus". Otherwise the news isn't great. Rivals has 17 top 150 kids coming to the Big East, only one of whom (Cain) is heading to Marquette.

We had two true freshmen starting and they were two our four best players. One was arguably our best player. If "relied on major contributions from true freshmen" makes you more comfortable go ahead and call it that. The point is, I'm looking forward to having teams where upperclassmen are the starters and freshmen come off the bench because our upperclassmen are just that good.
TAMU

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »
Sam is a wing that can play the 4 if needed. I think he could play the 2 against certain teams.

From everything I can tell, Joey is a PF.

Why do you say Sam is a wing?  Last year, he barely could put the ball on the floor against the 4, the 4 on most teams is not quick.  Sam is not quick.  Will have
to adjust, does he try and get bigger to play the 4 or smaller to improve quickness??

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »
This is accurate in the sense that all players on the same team compete for minutes but Joey and Sam won't be playing the same position no matter where Joey goes.
Sam only gets the easy minutes
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2017, 11:08:15 AM »
Get help. Seriously.

What position does Help play?
More importantly, what other programs are recruiting him?
What current player would his signing drive to transfer?
What is his neck size?

No more of these vague player posts, please. We've got to give Stan and Wojo more to go on; that's what they're paying us for.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2017, 11:12:03 AM »
When did Joey go to Pacelli. He went to SPASH in St. Pt.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »
What position does Help play?
More importantly, what other programs are recruiting him?
What current player would his signing drive to transfer?
What is his neck size?

No more of these vague player posts, please. We've got to give Stan and Wojo more to go on; that's what they're paying us for.

Matt Help's younger brother, A'Little.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2017, 11:16:52 AM »

Oh Earl

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2017, 11:31:13 AM »
Matt Help's younger brother, A'Little.

It's the youngest brother, Weakside, that I'd keep an eye on.
Strong defensively.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »
could play the 3.
Sam was happy playing the four, because that is what allowed him to play. We now have players coming in next year, especially when Froling becomes eligible that could push him out of the four spot. He then has to compete with Cheatham and Cain for playing time. I think Sam ends up starting at three once Froling is eligible. Joey coming in means he is fighting Sam for playing time at three and Froling for playing time at the four, both of those players will have two year's left. Bailey also fits in there somewhere. Looking at Wisconsin's roster, I do not see much competition that will limit Joey's playing time. However, I think he is more likely to go to Notre Dame then Wisconsin, if he does not pick MU.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2017, 01:17:12 PM »
Nate Reuvers is a highly regarded 4 man who will be a year ahead of Joey if he goes to UW.

Your prediction about  ND is curious.....they just offered......definitely behind MU,MSU AND UW in the pecking order from what I have heard from people who should know.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2017, 01:20:42 PM »

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2017, 01:27:46 PM »
Why do you say Sam is a wing?  Last year, he barely could put the ball on the floor against the 4, the 4 on most teams is not quick.  Sam is not quick.  Will have
to adjust, does he try and get bigger to play the 4 or smaller to improve quickness??

Hard sugar coat hauser on defense, he's bad. It's not effort, he's just slow footed and weak at this point. I think his best option is the 4, easier to add strength vs. quickness. I think Hauser is a perfect 6th or 7th man for a very good team. Comes in and plays 20-24 minutes a rains 3s.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2017, 01:32:24 PM »
Hard sugar coat hauser on defense, he's bad. It's not effort, he's just slow footed and weak at this point. I think his best option is the 4, easier to add strength vs. quickness. I think Hauser is a perfect 6th or 7th man for a very good team. Comes in and plays 20-24 minutes a rains 3s.

I think Hauser was unquestionably one of our 3 best defenders last year, and very well may have been our best.  Only one game stuck out as a bad defensive performance, and that was when he was tasked with trying to guard Chrabascz.  Otherwise he is very good at moving his feet to stay in front of his man and letting the guy bounce back off his chest on the dribble, is typically good with his help rotations, and is a good rebounder.  I think we'll see his offensive game expand and he'll be one of our 2 best players for the next 3 years.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »
I think Hauser was unquestionably one of our 3 best defenders last year, and very well may have been our best.  Only one game stuck out as a bad defensive performance, and that was when he was tasked with trying to guard Chrabascz.  Otherwise he is very good at moving his feet to stay in front of his man and letting the guy bounce back off his chest on the dribble, is typically good with his help rotations, and is a good rebounder.  I think we'll see his offensive game expand and he'll be one of our 2 best players for the next 3 years.

Also, I don't think he gets enough credit for his shot blocking.
19 blocks is not a huge number, but considering his defensive assignment was usually bigger than him, it's not bad.
Also 15 of those 19 blocks came in conference play.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2017, 02:40:44 PM »
Not counting walkons, Sam Hauser was fourth on the team in Defensive Rating.

Tied Luke for 2nd on team for defensive win shares.

Not a great defender, but far from our worst.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »
Sam was happy playing the four, because that is what allowed him to play. We now have players coming in next year, especially when Froling becomes eligible that could push him out of the four spot. He then has to compete with Cheatham and Cain for playing time. I think Sam ends up starting at three once Froling is eligible. Joey coming in means he is fighting Sam for playing time at three and Froling for playing time at the four, both of those players will have two year's left. Bailey also fits in there somewhere. Looking at Wisconsin's roster, I do not see much competition that will limit Joey's playing time. However, I think he is more likely to go to Notre Dame then Wisconsin, if he does not pick MU.

Trust me, Joey is not concerned at all about fighting Sam for playing time. And if he's scared of fighting Theo John and Ike Eke for playing time...then either they are a lot better or Joey is a lot worse than we thought. Harry will be at the 5, not the 4. There are possible situations where Harry and Heldt could play at the same time but I wouldn't expect it.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2017, 02:53:35 PM »

Advanced stats disagree with you. Sam was one of our best defenders. Don't have time now but may go into depth later
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2017, 02:59:50 PM »
Sam's defense was usually good, and sometimes very good. If only every other Warrior had executed defensively as well as Sam did. One of the pleasant surprises of the 2016-17 season.

I would love it if our team was so good that Sam was a 20-25-minute backup. We'll be in the Final Four at least once, maybe twice!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2017, 03:22:10 PM »
Not counting walkons, Sam Hauser was fourth on the team in Defensive Rating.

Tied Luke for 2nd on team for defensive win shares.

Not a great defender, but far from our worst.

Being the 4th best defender on an epically bad defensive team is, at best, damning with faint praise.