'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Free Agent Tracker  (Read 47255 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: [Paint Touches] Free Agent Tracker
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2017, 08:29:25 AM »
This article describes the prior relationship with a Andy and how it evolved.
http://vanderbilt.247sports.com/Article/Vanderbilt-hosts-Notre-Dame-transfer-Matt-Ryan--52231842

Please show me where it says one of the current coaches at Vandy recruited Matt Ryan previously. The only thing I found was this.

Yanni Hufnagel targeted Ryan while he worked at Harvard and began to target the shooter for the Commodores immediately after being hired as the head recruiting assistant by Kevin Stallings in the spring of 2013, and despite Ryan missing much of his junior season due to double-hip surgery.

Vanderbilt was a steady contender for his services for more than a year until Hufnagel departed from the program for Cal in May of 2014.

Unless I'm missing something, there was no previous relationship with an assistant coach that brought Ryan to Vanderbilt.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:31:42 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #176 on: May 10, 2017, 08:47:30 PM »
Please show me where it says one of the current coaches at Vandy recruited Matt Ryan previously. The only thing I found was this.

Unless I'm missing something, there was no previous relationship with an assistant coach that brought Ryan to Vanderbilt.
There was a prior relationship with Vanderbilt . Also your a very young punk who thinks he knows it all.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2017, 08:54:42 PM »
There was a prior relationship with Vanderbilt . Also your a very young punk who thinks he knows it all.

Well mostly because he is usually right. And you often are not.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2017, 09:00:50 PM »
There was a prior relationship with Vanderbilt . Also your you're a very young punk who thinks he knows it all.

I don't know it all but I know grade school English.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2017, 09:56:48 PM »

Well mostly because he is usually right. And you often are not.
Money.
I don't know it all but I know grade school English.
Interest on Sultan's money.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2017, 09:58:56 PM »
You really like Scoop Takes, don't you?
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2017, 11:52:01 PM »

That would have been fine if that's what you said. But you said:

One of the new assistants recruited him at a prior school.

Don't make things up. When Jay Bee called you out you could have just said "Oops my bad" or "I meant his familiarity with the school helped the second time around." Instead you made up something to try and save face. Even as a very young punk I know that's a bad idea.
TAMU

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2017, 07:42:00 AM »
Instead you made up something.
Surely this isn't news to anyone re MUFINY's posts?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #183 on: June 06, 2017, 11:39:14 PM »
So after a long song and dance, Cam Johnson ends up at North Carolina....which is awkwardly also part of the same conference as Pitt. The ACC allows inter-conference grad transfers, but Pitt restricted Johnson from transferring to any ACC schools, meaning Cam will have to sit out a year. UNC is of course challenging this. Media has already taken Cam's side and is calling for Pitt to drop the restriction. Will be curious to see how this plays out. I am usually all for giving more powers to the students but I also don't think restricting an inter-conference transfer is unreasonable. Can see both sides on this one.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2017, 06:58:26 AM »
I think Cam Johnson is the biggest story of the year in college basketball. This could have wide ranging ramifications if it goes to court, including an ending on transfer restrictions as well as the year in residence rule.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2017, 07:27:11 AM »
I think Cam Johnson is the biggest story of the year in college basketball. This could have wide ranging ramifications if it goes to court, including an ending on transfer restrictions as well as the year in residence rule.

Lots to chew on.  Personally I'm opposed to even more free agency.  Wonder how this might work?  Colleges sign players for 4 years but have the right to release a player after any year without ANY restrictions.  So if they want to keep somebody, they do.  If not, he goes anywhere he wants.

Now let's not all complain that a 4 year contract is some rights violation.  Kid can always leave school, he just can't play scholarship ball anywhere else.  ARodg can't leave the Packers either.

One thing my strategy would eliminate is the kid moving up from mid to high major.  The era of the Rowsey transfer would be over.  Similarly, you wouldn't see a 9th man transferring out for more playing time if his original coach still wanted him around and was willing to honor the original scholarship commitment.  I'm not sure that would be so bad either.  It would force kids to really think through their opportunities and choose for the long term.

Anyway, interesting mental exercise.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2017, 07:32:34 AM »
So after a long song and dance, Cam Johnson ends up at North Carolina....which is awkwardly also part of the same conference as Pitt. The ACC allows inter-conference grad transfers, but Pitt restricted Johnson from transferring to any ACC schools, meaning Cam will have to sit out a year. UNC is of course challenging this. Media has already taken Cam's side and is calling for Pitt to drop the restriction. Will be curious to see how this plays out. I am usually all for giving more powers to the students but I also don't think restricting an inter-conference transfer is unreasonable. Can see both sides on this one.

It's a gray area whether or not Pitt can actually put any restrictions on a grad transfer.  And since ACC rules specifically allow for intra-conference grad transfers, he just may have the right to play at UNC.

IMO, schools should not have the ability to limit where kids can transfer to.  If a conference wants to limit intra-conference transfers, that's their decision. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2017, 07:55:06 AM »
Lots to chew on.  Personally I'm opposed to even more free agency.  Wonder how this might work?  Colleges sign players for 4 years but have the right to release a player after any year without ANY restrictions.  So if they want to keep somebody, they do.  If not, he goes anywhere he wants.

Now let's not all complain that a 4 year contract is some rights violation.  Kid can always leave school, he just can't play scholarship ball anywhere else.  ARodg can't leave the Packers either.

One thing my strategy would eliminate is the kid moving up from mid to high major.  The era of the Rowsey transfer would be over.  Similarly, you wouldn't see a 9th man transferring out for more playing time if his original coach still wanted him around and was willing to honor the original scholarship commitment.  I'm not sure that would be so bad either.  It would force kids to really think through their opportunities and choose for the long term.

Anyway, interesting mental exercise.

I don't like this at all because you seem to start with the assumption that transfers are inherently bad.  Why shouldn't a guy like Rowsey try to play at a higher level?  Why shouldn't a guy like Cohen get a chance for more playing time at a lower level?  People use words like "epidemic" to describe the transfer situation, but IMO most transfers are fine.  Marquette has certainly benefited from them.

And finally, why should it be up to the coach, for whatever reason he decides is legitimate, decline a transfer anywhere?

And your parallels to Rodgers aren't really good.  Rodgers is a member of a union that collectively bargained a labor agreement that dictates the operating rules agreed upon by both parties.  That isn't the case here.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2017, 08:09:42 AM »

It's a gray area whether or not Pitt can actually put any restrictions on a grad transfer.  And since ACC rules specifically allow for intra-conference grad transfers, he just may have the right to play at UNC.

IMO, schools should not have the ability to limit where kids can transfer to.  If a conference wants to limit intra-conference transfers, that's their decision.

Having read the Bylaws (specifically 14.6.1 and its reference back to 14.5.5.2.10 [and (d) in particular), it doesn't appear to be a gray area. Pittsburgh may object to allowing Cam to not being required to sit out a year in residence.

He's free to transfer wherever he likes. They're just not OK with him not needing to sit out a year in residence, which appears clearly to be their option per the Bylaws.

Lots of whiny voices stating, "but he had a 3.9 GPA!" Come on, folks. Have some principles. Whether his GPA is 3.0 or 3.9 has nothing to do with this.

Pitt is playing by the rules. I hope they continue to do so, but it'll be difficult from a PR perspective.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2017, 08:26:05 AM »

I don't like this at all because you seem to start with the assumption that transfers are inherently bad.  Why shouldn't a guy like Rowsey try to play at a higher level?  Why shouldn't a guy like Cohen get a chance for more playing time at a lower level?  People use words like "epidemic" to describe the transfer situation, but IMO most transfers are fine.  Marquette has certainly benefited from them.

And finally, why should it be up to the coach, for whatever reason he decides is legitimate, decline a transfer anywhere?

And your parallels to Rodgers aren't really good.  Rodgers is a member of a union that collectively bargained a labor agreement that dictates the operating rules agreed upon by both parties.  That isn't the case here.

I guess we simply disagree which is fine. By and large, I dislike 'easy' transfers.  But I also think that committing to a player for the 4 full years is appropriate.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #190 on: June 07, 2017, 08:34:53 AM »
I guess we simply disagree which is fine. By and large, I dislike 'easy' transfers.

Why?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2017, 08:35:23 AM »
Having read the Bylaws (specifically 14.6.1 and its reference back to 14.5.5.2.10 [and (d) in particular), it doesn't appear to be a gray area. Pittsburgh may object to allowing Cam to not being required to sit out a year in residence.

He's free to transfer wherever he likes. They're just not OK with him not needing to sit out a year in residence, which appears clearly to be their option per the Bylaws.

Lots of whiny voices stating, "but he had a 3.9 GPA!" Come on, folks. Have some principles. Whether his GPA is 3.0 or 3.9 has nothing to do with this.

Pitt is playing by the rules. I hope they continue to do so, but it'll be difficult from a PR perspective.

Looks like you are correct.

Bad rule.  Students should not have to obtain permission to transfer.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #192 on: June 07, 2017, 08:38:41 AM »

Looks like you are correct.

Bad rule.  Students should not have to obtain permission to transfer.

He's free to transfer. He just needs the OK from Pitt to get to skip out on the normal one-year in residence requirement.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #193 on: June 07, 2017, 08:39:42 AM »

Why?

Because I don't.  Just an opinion brother.  Just like yours.  ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #194 on: June 07, 2017, 08:40:41 AM »
He's free to transfer. He just needs the OK from Pitt to get to skip out on the normal one-year in residence requirement.

Right.  Bad rule.  He shouldn't need permission from the previous school.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #195 on: June 07, 2017, 08:43:47 AM »

Right.  Bad rule.  He shouldn't need permission from the previous school.

I disagree. I'd lean toward the bad rule being that there is an exception that allows certain SA's to not sit a year in residence.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2017, 01:44:05 PM »
I could see this having two implications. First, the end of transfer destination restrictions. Because these are effectively unpaid students, why should it matter what school they want to transfer to? I understand why the NCAA and leagues allow the restriction, but in court I don't think that will hold up.

Second, the end of the year in residence, not just for grad transfers, but for all student athletes. Because what logical reason does the NCAA have for that requirement when there's no year in residence required for freshmen, JUCOs, or grad transfers?

This is a really dumb hill for Pitt to die on and could massively shift the transfer landscape if it ends up in court.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #197 on: June 07, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »
And I like any rule that gives the indentured servant more freedom at the expense of the plantation owners.

I wouldn't mind if the sit-out-a-year rule ceased to exist. I know that would inconvenienced some people, but this is 'Merica ... land of the free!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2017, 02:20:25 PM »
I could see this having two implications. First, the end of transfer destination restrictions. Because these are effectively unpaid students, why should it matter what school they want to transfer to? I understand why the NCAA and leagues allow the restriction, but in court I don't think that will hold up.

Second, the end of the year in residence, not just for grad transfers, but for all student athletes. Because what logical reason does the NCAA have for that requirement when there's no year in residence required for freshmen, JUCOs, or grad transfers?

This is a really dumb hill for Pitt to die on and could massively shift the transfer landscape if it ends up in court.
Unpaid?  Sorry, but I worked 2 jobs to pay for my MU education.  I would have loved to have free scholarship and R&B while I got to play sports. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2017, 02:48:23 PM »

Three) The end of the grad transfer exception. Make them sit a year in residence and add a year to their clock.

Cam Johnson comes off as spoiled and entitled.  Truth is there are rules in life and, no they aren't always fair.  If Cam over plays his hand, he might hurt the rest of the players in the long run.

Personally, I favor revenue sport athletes getting a portion of those revenues, i.e., increasing stipends.

However, there are still rules.  Same as employers can put no compete clauses in contracts, schools can limit player movement.  I don't think Pitt is being unreasonable.  Cam Johnson is presented two choices: Go to UNC (or another ACC school) and sit out a year or go anywhere else and be immediately eligible.  Suing because "it's just not fair" is weak and ill-conceived in my opinion.  If there was a violation of the equal protection clause, then it would be a different story.  But that is not the case here.

feedback