[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Free Agent Tracker  (Read 47250 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Free Agent Tracker
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2017, 09:23:27 AM »
I don't remember enough about Singler so maybe, but I thought he was more athletic and more perimeter oriented. But Hank and Joey have very similar skillsets and while Hank is taller, their build and athleticism are pretty similar. Joey and Hank are both at their best when they are catching the ball in the mid post. If they have a smaller guy they can back him down, if they have a bigger guy they can face up, and if they get doubled they can pass out of it. They also have the skill to step out and hit the jumper and to rebound on defense and start the break themselves.

In my mind Hank and Joey are at their best as bigs who have the ability to step out. Sometimes Hank got away from what he was best at. Hayward was a wing who was tall. I thought I remembered Singler being more of a wing who was tall as well, but I could be wrong.
Joey is a much better shooter than Henry.  Joey is a 4/3, while Henry was a post at his point in career at MU.  Joey is more versatile than Henry, though Henry's height gives him an edge too.  Neither one is an elite level athlete.  Skilled with size, yes.  In the end, the Singler comparison is a good one though Joey appears to be built thicker.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2017, 09:23:56 AM »
Quote from: Lazar's Headband

Joey Hauser is more like Kyle Singler. A high IQ, jack of all trades stretch 4.
[/quote

I've seen Joey play several times and I agree with this. He'll do whatever it takes to win, but he can also take over a game. I know it's just high school and it's all relative, but his upside is huge.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2017, 09:29:31 AM »
No, he meant white like him. Wannabe scouting experts always have to compare white players to other white players.

OK, who do you want me to compare him to?  If you have a better choice then tell me, black or white.  Hayward could put the ball on the floor and dribble, Sam
had trouble doing that.  Joey can, shoots it much better than Ellenson, but Ellenson was bigger, slower of foot.  Joey has skills like Hayward, did not say he was
going to be as good as him.  If so, it would be a good get for whomever signs him.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2017, 10:03:45 AM »
Henry should not have been used "almost exclusively" in the post.  One can argue that he shouldn't have shot so many threes, but he had a great mid range game.  He was very effective playing with a post player like Luke in the game.

Agreed completely. He was at his best in the 10-18 foot range. His midrange game was the best I've seen at Marquette in recent memory.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2017, 10:19:18 AM »
Ok, "almost exclusively in the post" was an over correction on my part. I'll agree with the view that Henry was good midrange and in, with the ability to occasionally shoot the open 3.

The big difference between Henry and Joey: Henry had more power to his game while Joey is more finesse and a better shooter.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2017, 10:21:07 AM »

The big difference between Henry and Joey: Henry had more power to his game while Joey is more finesse and a better shooter.
Henry is also 3 inches taller. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »
Henry is also 3 inches taller.

And 35 pounds heavier. Thus the additional power.

After Joey adds 15-20 pounds, his size will be same as Singler.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »
In this case I think it's a pretty terrible comparison. Gordon Hayward was a string bean all through college who rarely went to the post, drove with the ball quite a bit, and was pretty athletic. He was pretty much a tall 2 guard, and continues to be. Joey is much more Henry Ellenson, who I wouldn't say is anything remotely like Gordon Hayward. Slower footed, not as good of a jumper, not as likely to catch the ball on the perimeter and just break his man down with the dribble all the way to the basket, and much more likely to head to the post and make some nice post moves or nice passes out of the post. Joey is built a ton bigger than Hayward was and is much more a 4 with the ability to cause matchup problems because he has the skills to step out, but that's not his biggest strength like it was Hayward's.

Joey is listed at 6-8 210 lbs. Gordon Hayward in college was listed at 6-9 208 lbs. I'm not sure you can call one a string bean and claim the other is so radically different. Joey is younger and has yet to hit a college level strength program so he should end up with a thicker frame.

But beyond that, I actually agree. Hayward was more perimeter oriented than Joey. I do think the comparisons to Hank are funny though. Not because I don't agree, but because I remember a lot of people here saying that Henry was so skilled that he could play the two or three if he wanted to. Some even claiming that he would be better at those positions than the 4/5.  I also remember Hank being compared to Gordon Hayward and Danny Manning in high school. Once he got to college, those comparisons went away.

I think the lesson is that just because a post player has the speed and skill to play on the wing against high school competition doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to college.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2017, 12:05:22 PM »
Joey is listed at 6-8 210 lbs. Gordon Hayward in college was listed at 6-9 208 lbs. I'm not sure you can call one a string bean and claim the other is so radically different. Joey is younger and has yet to hit a college level strength program so he should end up with a thicker frame.

But beyond that, I actually agree. Hayward was more perimeter oriented than Joey. I do think the comparisons to Hank are funny though. Not because I don't agree, but because I remember a lot of people here saying that Henry was so skilled that he could play the two or three if he wanted to. Some even claiming that he would be better at those positions than the 4/5.  I also remember Hank being compared to Gordon Hayward and Danny Manning in high school. Once he got to college, those comparisons went away.

I think the lesson is that just because a post player has the speed and skill to play on the wing against high school competition doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to college.

The difference being one was 16 years old when those measurements were taken and the other was 20 years old. I think Joey is built much bigger than Hayward, but Hayward as a pro has put on a lot of muscle. I do think Joey *can* play the wing, but I don't think it's where he'll be at his best. At any rate, I think Joey (and Hank) are matchup nightmares. Big and strong enough to play in the post but skilled enough to step out to the perimeter.

Let's hope we're seeing who Joey compared to in college right in front of our eyes in the House that Howard and the Hausers (okay, and Giannis and Thon) Built.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2017, 11:44:26 PM »
Henry is a bad comparison too. HE is a 6-10 245 PF who thought he was Dirk Nowitzki when he should have been almost exclusively in the post.

Joey Hauser is more like Kyle Singler. A high IQ, jack of all trades stretch 4.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2017, 11:46:20 PM »

Joey has a much better neck than Hayward. Means he will never be a beanpole.
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 22, 2017, 11:51:30 PM »
Joey is a much better shooter than Henry.  Joey is a 4/3, while Henry was a post at his point in career at MU.  Joey is more versatile than Henry, though Henry's height gives him an edge too.  Neither one is an elite level athlete.  Skilled with size, yes.  In the end, the Singler comparison is a good one though Joey appears to be built thicker.

Disagree
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2017, 11:07:44 AM »
Disagree

Jay Bee - could you be specific? Interested in how you see JH in college.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2017, 04:15:27 PM »
https://painttouches.com/2017/03/24/ncaa-free-agent-tracker-march-24th-edition/

Tracker updated. Lots of names off the board and a few new names onto the board.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #164 on: May 02, 2017, 12:06:56 AM »
Hey Jay Bee, Zach Lofton is from your nick of the woods....and played for your third favorite team! Would you recommend him?
TAMU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2017, 09:42:39 AM »
Hey Jay Bee, Zach Lofton is from your nick of the woods....and played for your third favorite team! Would you recommend him?

I'd recommend Zach to a lot of schools, but not MU in 2017-18. SG, scorer. I feel like I've been watching him for a decade... for a reason. I think he'll turn 25 about a week into the season.

He's been at Illinois St., Minnesota (kicked off team), and Texas Southern...

The 3-ball hasn't gone down for him in college, but the kid can score. With him, you see a ton of skill.. hasn't all come together... but he could be a nice piece for a team this year... but for MU.. not sure of the dynamics there... high-usage, high shots guy.

Have had some notes on Zach over the college years...
http://latenighthoops.com/?s=zach+lofton#.WQibKxMrLIU

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2017, 03:01:35 PM »
MU had interest, but we won't be able to pursue this time. Both Big East and Transfer news...

@EvanDaniels: Akoy Agau will graduate and transfer from Georgetown, per a source. Expected to have 2 years of eligibility. Averaged 4.5 PPG & 4.3 RPG.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2017, 03:36:02 PM »
MU had interest, but we won't be able to pursue this time. Both Big East and Transfer news...

@EvanDaniels: Akoy Agau will graduate and transfer from Georgetown, per a source. Expected to have 2 years of eligibility. Averaged 4.5 PPG & 4.3 RPG.

Not too bold of a statement: Depaul will finish ahead of Georgetown next season.

They have solid starting bigs in Derrickson and Govan but that's it.Their starting guards at this point are going to be Mulmore, Mosley, and Cambpell....three guys who scored 4 points or less a game last season. Their backup post player is going 6-7 215 lb 3 star freshman Antwan Walker. Hoya fans better hope that JT3 was just holding players back or next year is going to be brutal for them. Like, worse than Wojo's first year was for us.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2017, 05:15:40 PM »
Agreed, Georgetown looks awful, though they are still in the grad transfer market, I believe Alstork is set to visit.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #169 on: May 03, 2017, 12:09:49 PM »
Couple of updates for the Tracker...Jeff Beverly is on a visit to Iowa State today, and WILL commit(provided Iowa St will accept his commit). Brase will visit Iowa St on Monday.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2017, 05:54:03 PM »
Matt Ryan went to Vanderbilt. 

This was a case of where there was a prior relationship  with Ryan from the original recruitment.

Oh.. the relationship where none of the coaches are there any longer?  ::)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2017, 07:45:45 PM »
Oh.. the relationship where none of the coaches are there any longer?  ::)
One of the new assistants recruited him at a prior school.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2017, 08:02:03 PM »
One of the new assistants recruited him at a prior school.

Which one? Drew brought his assistants from Valpo with him except for one....his brother in law who wasn't a coach before this gig. Valpo didn't recruit Matt Ryan.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2017, 09:44:08 PM »
Which one? Drew brought his assistants from Valpo with him except for one....his brother in law who wasn't a coach before this gig. Valpo didn't recruit Matt Ryan.
This article describes the prior relationship with a Andy and how it evolved.
http://vanderbilt.247sports.com/Article/Vanderbilt-hosts-Notre-Dame-transfer-Matt-Ryan--52231842
            ---Al McGuire

feedback