[April 19, 2024, 11:53:22 PM]

santa rosa flirt adult by JakeBarnes
[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Free Agent Tracker  (Read 47166 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: [Paint Touches] Free Agent Tracker
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2017, 11:47:30 AM »
Eh, I agree that these are factors to consider.....but if Khavon Moore and Joey Hauser commit, I am ok with finding some room. I don't know who gets Pole-Axed but athletic scholarships are awarded to the best athletes. It is a bit heartless but it is the nature of college athletics. I would hope and expect that Wojo and co would help whatever pole-axee find a good landing spot at a new program

Plus, these things tend to take care of themselves.  I'd be blown away if everyone on the roster next year not named Rowsey (or a grad transfer, if we end up adding one) returned for 18-19.  Its the way of college hoops these days. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2017, 11:52:35 AM »
Missing out on Joey wouldn't be a failure, but it would be a disappointment. If he went to Duke or Kansas, I could stomach that. Losing him to a Wisconsin or Notre Dame would be more difficult.

No one recruit is make or break, but I do feel like that's one we really should win.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2017, 12:20:43 PM »
I agree - to a point. Every coach loses recruiting battles.

But every coach also wins some, and you can't possibly say that all 351 D1 coaches have "accomplishments" (the ones they win) and none by definition have "failures" (because recruiting is hard and they tried).

"Accomplishments" going after your secondary or tertiary (or worse) targets won't do a coach much good if his primary targets consistently get away. I usually say "meh" when we miss out on a guy. Not Joey H. He been our #1 target in that class forever, he's local and his brother is already at MU. Getting him could pay future dividends, losing him could result in future losses. By all accounts we're the heavy favorite - and losing recruiting battles under those circumstances are failures, plain and simple. The degree of blame that goes to the head coach (a lot, a little, almost none) is debatable - the fact that it's an important failure isn't.
If Joey H were Joe Wolf I would be in more agreement with You. Losing out on Joe Wolf in many ways  started our mini ice age.

Joey Hi is a real nice player that we would love to have and one we have a good inside track . However, I don't think it will result in future losses as you point out above. For example, losing out on Diamond Stone was not a harbinger of future recruiting woes. We have a deep pipeline of recruits and prospects.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2017, 01:34:51 PM »
Losing out on Joe Wolf in many ways  started our mini ice age.

There was a lot more going south with the program at that point than just losing out on Joe Wolf. It was a symptom than a cause.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2017, 02:09:36 PM »
Missing out on Joey wouldn't be a failure, but it would be a disappointment. If he went to Duke or Kansas, I could stomach that. Losing him to a Wisconsin or Notre Dame would be more difficult.

No one recruit is make or break, but I do feel like that's one we really should win.

This is how I feel, good scooping today men.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2017, 02:25:20 PM »
This is how I feel, good scooping today men.

Joey Hauser is a good player, but he is not explosive like Cain or even Elliott.  He is a tad better than Sam was at the same age.  I can see him being a Gordan
Hayward type player which is pretty good.  He should have a bunch of good players around him, which will make him even better.  MSU recruits much better players,
more one and done, so I am not sure how he fits there.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2017, 03:15:21 PM »
Losing out on Joe Wolf in many ways  started our mini ice age.

Maybe we would not of got him anyways, but we lost out on any chance of Joe Wolf when Raymonds retired. Wolf said he did not want to play for an inexperienced coach. The hiring of Majerus is what started our mini ice age. Majerus probably would of worked out in the long run, but when he quit after three years he totally threw the program into a dumpster.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2017, 03:50:39 PM »
Gordon Hayward is a good comparison for Joey. I like Kyle Singler as well. Needs about 15 pounds of muscle.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2017, 04:19:37 PM »
Joey Hauser is a good player, but he is not explosive like Cain or even Elliott.  He is a tad better than Sam was at the same age.  I can see him being a Gordan
Hayward type player which is pretty good.  He should have a bunch of good players around him, which will make him even better.  MSU recruits much better players,
more one and done, so I am not sure how he fits there.

Gordon Hayward was the 9th pick in the NBA draft following his sophomore season at Butler, where he led the Bulldogs to the NCAA championship game (a two point loss to Duke). He's a borderline star in the NBA (closest comp per Basketball Reference at this stage of his career is Danny Manning) and he's still getting better. I don't expect Cain or Elliot to be in Hayward's league. If Joey is, he'll be the best player here since JFB.

Big get or big loss.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2017, 04:21:50 PM »
Are people getting worried Joey is leaning elsewhere?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2017, 04:32:42 PM »

It's Scoop, worrying is kind of our thing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2017, 04:41:07 PM »
Gordon Hayward was the 9th pick in the NBA draft following his sophomore season at Butler, where he led the Bulldogs to the NCAA championship game (a two point loss to Duke). He's a borderline star in the NBA (closest comp per Basketball Reference at this stage of his career is Danny Manning) and he's still getting better. I don't expect Cain or Elliot to be in Hayward's league. If Joey is, he'll be the best player here since JFB.

Big get or big loss.

I think BC meant Joey's play style is similar to Gordon Hayward. Not his actual talent level. If he is, than hot damn!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »

Scoop worries that a good recruit will end up elsewhere until he plays his first game in blue and gold. After that, Scoop worries that player will transfer or go pro until the first game of his senior year. After that, Scoop worries that player will wear the shorts of a different college team during a workout.

Scoop worries eternal
TAMU

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2017, 04:48:43 PM »
Scoop worries that a good recruit will end up elsewhere until he plays his first game in blue and gold. After that, Scoop worries that player will transfer or go pro until the first game of his senior year. After that, Scoop worries that player will wear the shorts of a different college team during a workout.

Scoop worries eternal

Ha ya I get that.

So no actual news making people get irrational?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

muguru

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2017, 05:57:37 PM »
 Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 19m19 minutes ago

Nebraska transfer Ed Morrow tells me he will visit Xavier on May 12th and 13th.

Did Morrow drop one of his reported visits?? or is one unofficial?? This would give him 4..MU, Xavier, Pitt, Iowa St.

I was hoping MU could get a commitment this weekend..and maybe still could. Lot going for them...close to Chicago(if that matters to him), gets his first year in new arena, probably knows Jabari Parker(I think they were teammates for a year in HS).
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2017, 06:09:21 PM »
I was hoping MU could get a commitment this weekend..and maybe still could. Lot going for them...close to Chicago(if that matters to him), gets his first year in new arena, probably knows Jabari Parker(I think they were teammates for a year in HS).

Maybe he can come in early and go out on the town with his old high school buddy. Maybe catch a basketball game...guessing Parker could get decent seats, and under the circumstance I don't think there'd be any recruiting violations.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
Maybe he can come in early and go out on the town with his old high school buddy. Maybe catch a basketball game...guessing Parker could get decent seats, and under the circumstance I don't think there'd be any recruiting violations.

Unless Jabari is a donor to MU basketball, there would be no violation.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2017, 09:07:34 PM »
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 19m19 minutes ago

Nebraska transfer Ed Morrow tells me he will visit Xavier on May 12th and 13th.

Did Morrow drop one of his reported visits?? or is one unofficial?? This would give him 4..MU, Xavier, Pitt, Iowa St.

Morrow retweeted that the Johnnies were interested in him. I would not be surprised if he did his fifth official there.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2017, 12:09:55 AM »
I think BC meant Joey's play style is similar to Gordon Hayward. Not his actual talent level. If he is, than hot damn!

No, he meant white like him. Wannabe scouting experts always have to compare white players to other white players.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2017, 12:40:54 AM »
No, he meant white like him. Wannabe scouting experts always have to compare white players to other white players.

True.....but that doesn't necessarily mean its a bad comparison
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2017, 08:11:24 AM »
True.....but that doesn't necessarily mean its a bad comparison

In this case I think it's a pretty terrible comparison. Gordon Hayward was a string bean all through college who rarely went to the post, drove with the ball quite a bit, and was pretty athletic. He was pretty much a tall 2 guard, and continues to be. Joey is much more Henry Ellenson, who I wouldn't say is anything remotely like Gordon Hayward. Slower footed, not as good of a jumper, not as likely to catch the ball on the perimeter and just break his man down with the dribble all the way to the basket, and much more likely to head to the post and make some nice post moves or nice passes out of the post. Joey is built a ton bigger than Hayward was and is much more a 4 with the ability to cause matchup problems because he has the skills to step out, but that's not his biggest strength like it was Hayward's.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2017, 08:51:08 AM »
Henry is a bad comparison too. HE is a 6-10 245 PF who thought he was Dirk Nowitzki when he should have been almost exclusively in the post.

Joey Hauser is more like Kyle Singler. A high IQ, jack of all trades stretch 4.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2017, 08:55:04 AM »
Henry should not have been used "almost exclusively" in the post.  One can argue that he shouldn't have shot so many threes, but he had a great mid range game.  He was very effective playing with a post player like Luke in the game.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2017, 08:58:08 AM »
Henry should not have been used "almost exclusively" in the post.  One can argue that he shouldn't have shot so many threes, but he had a great mid range game.  He was very effective playing with a post player like Luke in the game.

I agree with this -- less threes and more high post in my opinion.  The high-low with Luke was great when they ran it -- just wish they had done it much more often.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2017, 09:00:03 AM »
Henry is a bad comparison too. HE is a 6-10 245 PF who thought he was Dirk Nowitzki when he should have been almost exclusively in the post.

Joey Hauser is more like Kyle Singler. A high IQ, jack of all trades stretch 4.

I don't remember enough about Singler so maybe, but I thought he was more athletic and more perimeter oriented. But Hank and Joey have very similar skillsets and while Hank is taller, their build and athleticism are pretty similar. Joey and Hank are both at their best when they are catching the ball in the mid post. If they have a smaller guy they can back him down, if they have a bigger guy they can face up, and if they get doubled they can pass out of it. They also have the skill to step out and hit the jumper and to rebound on defense and start the break themselves.

In my mind Hank and Joey are at their best as bigs who have the ability to step out. Sometimes Hank got away from what he was best at. Hayward was a wing who was tall. I thought I remembered Singler being more of a wing who was tall as well, but I could be wrong.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback