'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JTIII Canned  (Read 25668 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: JTIII Canned
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2017, 03:35:02 PM »
It would be great to win every game by 20 if the conference is strong.  In a weaker conference, that gets old really fast.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2017, 03:49:34 PM »
What about Archie Miller? Did he take another job or is he still at ABDayton?

I doubt he has interest in Georgetown

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »
JT3 would be good for DePaul.... they'd never pay him tho

muguru

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2017, 05:00:01 PM »
I call BS that none of you would want to be like Gonzaga is currently..Winning conference championships every year, 19 consecutive NCAA appearances, a couple of #1 seeds along the way. You'd be crazy to not want that.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2017, 05:04:45 PM »
I call BS that none of you would want to be like Gonzaga is currently..Winning conference championships every year, 19 consecutive NCAA appearances, a couple of #1 seeds along the way. You'd be crazy to not want that.

Gonzaga isn't Gonzaga because the rest of their conference (except for St. Mary's) sucks.
If anything, the weakness of their conference has hurt them over the years in seeding.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2017, 05:08:25 PM »

Add me to that list. A program that plays 1 perhaps 2 good conference teams every year is not who we should aspire to be. Not to mention with the strength of conference going down so does our media contract and publicity. Less money coming in is correlated to less publicity both of these directly effects our recruiting and marketing ability, thus effecting overall play.
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2017, 05:12:05 PM »
Add me to that list. A program that plays 1 perhaps 2 good conference teams every year is not who we should aspire to be. Not to mention with the strength of conference going down so does our media contract and publicity. Less money coming in is correlated to less publicity both of these directly effects our recruiting and marketing ability, thus effecting overall play.

Again, has it hurt Gonzaga?? They pull in top recruits, they sellout games etc.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2017, 05:18:42 PM »
I still don't understand why all of you want these BE programs to not lose coaches, and be great all the time. Yeah yeah, prestige. So what? All a better Gtown, Better DePaul etc do is make it harder for MU to win conference championships etc. When this new BE was formed..I was hoping/wanting it to be a conference MU ran roughshod over every year..ala Memphis in CUSA not long ago.

I think all of us here would take being the Gonzaga of the BE. I sure as hell would.

Whatever makes it easier for MU to make the dance every year..I'm all for. If that means a lessor BE overall, so be it.

This is weird but here's one: because it's more fun.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2017, 05:19:56 PM »

They sell out a something like 6,000 seat stadium... not a great reference.

As far as top recruits go:

2 top 100s last year

1 in 2014

1 in 2011

1 in 2008

2 in 2007

That's actually pretty low for having made 19 ncaa tournaments in a row with a decent few second weekend appearances in there. Additionally, Mark Few is the reason why the Zags are staying afloat.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2017, 05:22:29 PM »
I still don't understand why all of you want these BE programs to not lose coaches, and be great all the time. Yeah yeah, prestige. So what? All a better Gtown, Better DePaul etc do is make it harder for MU to win conference championships etc. When this new BE was formed..I was hoping/wanting it to be a conference MU ran roughshod over every year..ala Memphis in CUSA not long ago.

I think all of us here would take being the Gonzaga of the BE. I sure as hell would.

Whatever makes it easier for MU to make the dance every year..I'm all for. If that means a lessor BE overall, so be it.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2017, 05:58:50 PM »
NM
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:46:58 PM by MU1980 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2017, 06:01:10 PM »

So are you now advocating for rejoining in the Horizon League so we can dominate a conference every year?  I will point out that you have complained in the past about the quality of opponents in the Big East compared to the old Big East.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2017, 06:14:11 PM »
Word on the street is the Thompson center is being renamed the Harbaugh center, so...

A $100k donation has already been pledged.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2017, 06:16:39 PM »

So are you now advocating for rejoining in the Horizon League so we can dominate a conference every year?  I will point out that you have complained in the past about the quality of opponents in the Big East compared to the old Big East.

Absolutely not...no one is understanding what I'm saying..and maybe I didn't explain it clearly enough..I by no means want MU to be part of a one bid league(and the BE will NEVER be that), what i do want is for them to be the Gonzaga of the BE...run roughshod over it year after year after year, I want them to be dominant enough for that to occur. And If that means there are a few cellar dwellars every year, so be it..therer's always going to be anyway. The more REALLY good teams the conference has..the harder it would be for MU to run roughshod regularly...that's all I'm saying.

It's a lot like being a Packer fan, and wanting the rest of the NFC North to be good, or having success in the post season because "it makes the conference look better". Nonsense, I care about one team and one team only in the conference...the rest are enemies(unless they are playing UW).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2017, 06:24:25 PM »
Absolutely not...no one is understanding what I'm saying..and maybe I didn't explain it clearly enough..I by no means want MU to be part of a one bid league(and the BE will NEVER be that), what i do want is for them to be the Gonzaga of the BE...run roughshod over it year after year after year, I want them to be dominant enough for that to occur. And If that means there are a few cellar dwellars every year, so be it..therer's always going to be anyway. The more REALLY good teams the conference has..the harder it would be for MU to run roughshod regularly...that's all I'm saying.

OK yeah everyone would want Marquette to dominate the Big East.  I guess what confuses people is that you started this argument by saying that we should want Georgetown to not get better.  The Big East would become a one bid league if all other schools but Marquette got worse. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2017, 06:27:27 PM »

OK yeah everyone would want Marquette to dominate the Big East.  I guess what confuses people is that you started this argument by saying that we should want Georgetown to not get better.  The Big East would become a one bid league if all other schools but Marquette got worse.

My point is...if Georgetown gets better, they are a prestigious enough program they could become the dominant program again in the BE, thus blocking MU's path from becoming that. JT3 was just fine, and the GT program was just fine right where they were IMO. Same with SJU.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2017, 06:48:13 PM »
A better comparison might be Kansas in the Big 12. Good competition but they have still won the conference like 13 years in a row.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2017, 07:12:31 PM »
A better comparison might be Kansas in the Big 12. Good competition but they have still won the conference like 13 years in a row.

Absolutely perfect comparison! Had forgotten all about them...Dominate the conference every single year like they do..high seeds in the NCAA's and roll. The BXII is a good conference, with some good but not great teams typically.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2017, 07:16:14 PM »
It's a lot like being a Packer fan, and wanting the rest of the NFC North to be good, or having success in the post season because "it makes the conference look better". Nonsense, I care about one team and one team only in the conference...the rest are enemies(unless they are playing UW).

For starters, as others have stated, your logic about wanting to be in a non-competitive league in college basketball is absolute nonsense.  You're essentially asking for a Horizon, Mo Valley, Ohio Valley, WCC scenario: and as an Omaha native and Creighton fan for the better half of my life, that scenario kinda unnatural carnal knowledgeing sucks.  Kansas is the team you're trying to equate us to, but then OF COURSE all of us want Marquette to be on the level of one of the blue bloods like Kansas.  It's just not realistic that a conference we all consider top 3/easily top 5 is one where Marquette "wins every game by 20 points and has no competition."

In reference to your quote here, it's literally nothing like being a Packer fan and wanting the rest of the NFC North to suck.  Like at all.  Marquette's future success is, believe it or not, partly contingent on the success of the other league members.  The more success and wins the conference has come March the more money in the pockets of all members due to conference distributions: including Marquette.  The stronger the league the more attractive and lucrative the TV deals.  The more revenues the more likely we are to maintain our heralded basketball budget (whether it be second behind Duke or not).  The bigger the budget the easier we can afford Wojo and staff to fly jets across the country to see recruits, top-flight facilities like the Al McGuire to appeal to recruits and current players, and so on and so forth.

Having a competitive Big East is crucial for Marquette going forward, and as a fan of sports, it's just more fun to see us in one of the toughest leagues in the country.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2017, 07:34:08 PM »
Gonzaga isn't Gonzaga because the rest of their conference (except for St. Mary's) sucks.
If anything, the weakness of their conference has hurt them over the years in seeding.

I don't think Gonzaga ever really gets underseeded. But where it does hurt them is that they aren't challenged at all for the last 2 months leading into the NCAA Tournament.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2017, 07:48:18 PM »
A life unchallenged is a life unlived.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2017, 08:04:01 PM »
Absolutely perfect comparison! Had forgotten all about them...Dominate the conference every single year like they do..high seeds in the NCAA's and roll. The BXII is a good conference, with some good but not great teams typically.

On the one hand, I'll give you credit for thinking that you'd like Marquette to emulate a program that virtually everyone would agree is top three all-time.

On the other hand, you're absolutely delusional if you think any program every achieved greatness by hoping that other programs in their conference (or elsewhere) stayed weak.  I guarantee you that at no time in Kansas' 13-year Big 12 Championship streak did Bill Self say, "well you know, boys, I hope Texas Tech doesn't hire a good coach...I really don't want competition up here at the top of the conference."  I suspect he's far more focused on what his team/program has to do to be great.  In fact, I know he is because if he wasn't, the streak would have ended already.

If anyone at Marquette is focusing on what happens at Georgetown because they think that will determine whether Marquette achieves long-term dominance in the Big East, that person should be fired.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2017, 08:12:41 PM »
For starters, as others have stated, your logic about wanting to be in a non-competitive league in college basketball is absolute nonsense.  You're essentially asking for a Horizon, Mo Valley, Ohio Valley, WCC scenario: and as an Omaha native and Creighton fan for the better half of my life, that scenario kinda unnatural carnal knowledgeing sucks.  Kansas is the team you're trying to equate us to, but then OF COURSE all of us want Marquette to be on the level of one of the blue bloods like Kansas.  It's just not realistic that a conference we all consider top 3/easily top 5 is one where Marquette "wins every game by 20 points and has no competition."

In reference to your quote here, it's literally nothing like being a Packer fan and wanting the rest of the NFC North to suck.  Like at all.  Marquette's future success is, believe it or not, partly contingent on the success of the other league members.  The more success and wins the conference has come March the more money in the pockets of all members due to conference distributions: including Marquette.  The stronger the league the more attractive and lucrative the TV deals.  The more revenues the more likely we are to maintain our heralded basketball budget (whether it be second behind Duke or not).  The bigger the budget the easier we can afford Wojo and staff to fly jets across the country to see recruits, top-flight facilities like the Al McGuire to appeal to recruits and current players, and so on and so forth.

Having a competitive Big East is crucial for Marquette going forward, and as a fan of sports, it's just more fun to see us in one of the toughest leagues in the country.

Great post. +1,000
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2017, 08:12:54 PM »

Yeah, beccause thats exactly what we've had the last three years.  A non-competitive league that isnb't very tough.

Making the argument that we are not currently challenged in the current makeup of the Big East has got to be the single most inane argument I've seen around here in years. Yet many here seem to be making just that argument.

Give me a break.  The Big East isn't competitive becuase DePaul has sucked for decades?  Or Georgetown is underwhelming? 

Have you all not noticed that the league already one of if not the toughest league in Division 1?

From the sounds of some, they think we're currently no better than the AAC, where one could legitimately make the argument that it would be nice if UConn and Memphis became powers again.

But in the current makeup of the Big East, there is absolutely ZERO need for DePaul or St. Johns or Georgetown to EVER become good again. The LEAGUE isn't going to get any more difficult--its just that someone else is going to have to be the doormat.

And every league needs its doormats, and I can't think of three better ones that St. Johns, Georgetown and DePaul. 

Just one question for all those that pine for DePaul or Georgetown to improve: Which team are you comfortable with taking their place as league doormats? 

wadesworld

• All American
Re: JTIII Cannede
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2017, 08:22:19 PM »
Yeah, beccause thats exactly what we've had the last three years.  A non-competitive league that isnb't very tough.

Making the argument that we are not currently challenged in the current makeup of the Big East has got to be the single most inane argument I've seen around here in years. Yet many here seem to be making just that argument.

Give me a break.  The Big East isn't competitive becuase DePaul has sucked for decades?  Or Georgetown is underwhelming? 

Have you all not noticed that the league already one of if not the toughest league in Division 1?

From the sounds of some, they think we're currently no better than the AAC, where one could legitimately make the argument that it would be nice if UConn and Memphis became powers again.

But in the current makeup of the Big East, there is absolutely ZERO need for DePaul or St. Johns or Georgetown to EVER become good again. The LEAGUE isn't going to get any more difficult--its just that someone else is going to have to be the doormat.

And every league needs its doormats, and I can't think of three better ones that St. Johns, Georgetown and DePaul. 

Just one question for all those that pine for DePaul or Georgetown to improve: Which team are you comfortable with taking their place as league doormats?

Huh? Who said we don't have anyone competing with us? Who said the league is the MAC? Lol. Read the thread.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback