[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JTIII Canned  (Read 25656 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: JTIII Canned
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2017, 12:54:22 PM »

I see what you did there with the caps.   ;D

Shaka 2 GT

What? Georgia Tech is hiring a new coach?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »
I wonder who drew the short straw and had to meet with JT.  I also really wonder what JT's involvement in the process was.  I have a hard time imagining them going to JT for his "blessing," but I'd be shocked if they did not consult with him and let him know it was going to happen before they did it.  I suspect he didn't have veto power...but who knows.  I know he is extremely influential at Georgetown.

I'm very interested in this coaching search.  There have been a few intriguing names thrown about.  Over the years, Georgetown has shown an unmistakable commitment to Black basketball players, and a part of their image and branding reflects that (i.e., the kente cloth pattern).  I honestly don't know if this has ever been stated explicitly as part of the program's policy/mission, or if it has been unspoken.  JT talked about it at times, but I don't know if any of that was official.  It appears that with JTIII's firing that Georgetown may be moving away from the Thompson connection.  Frankly, I'd be a little surprised if they also moved too quickly and too far away from that traditional commitment to Black players.  So, putting it in the parlance of this message board, I personally expect Georgetown to hire an athletic coach.  Amaker is an intriguing choice, and wouldn't surprise me.  Smart is also a possibility and right about now Texas might actually be thrilled to see him go.  I would be very surprised to see them bring in a shooter like Tim Crean.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2017, 02:32:24 PM »
I wonder who drew the short straw and had to meet with JT.  I also really wonder what JT's involvement in the process was.  I have a hard time imagining them going to JT for his "blessing," but I'd be shocked if they did not consult with him and let him know it was going to happen before they did it.  I suspect he didn't have veto power...but who knows.  I know he is extremely influential at Georgetown.

I'm very interested in this coaching search.  There have been a few intriguing names thrown about.  Over the years, Georgetown has shown an unmistakable commitment to Black basketball players, and a part of their image and branding reflects that (i.e., the kente cloth pattern).  I honestly don't know if this has ever been stated explicitly as part of the program's policy/mission, or if it has been unspoken.  JT talked about it at times, but I don't know if any of that was official.  It appears that with JTIII's firing that Georgetown may be moving away from the Thompson connection.  Frankly, I'd be a little surprised if they also moved too quickly and too far away from that traditional commitment to Black players.  So, putting it in the parlance of this message board, I personally expect Georgetown to hire an athletic coach.  Amaker is an intriguing choice, and wouldn't surprise me.  Smart is also a possibility and right about now Texas might actually be thrilled to see him go.  I would be very surprised to see them bring in a shooter like Tim Crean.

I thought this article from The Undefeated the other day was really interesting and touched on that history at Georgetown.

https://theundefeated.com/features/gentrification-of-ncaa-division-1-college-basketball/

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2017, 09:55:09 AM »
Even when Georgetown was good their attendance sucked. Best average was 13000. So stop complaining about our attendance as it has been better than Georgetown's best when our team was on a 3 year low. They are a program in a lot of hurt. The article also states the Big East is a fine conference , but not the best top to bottom. Well no conference is the best top to bottom, but the Beast is pretty close. I hope they can find a coach that will get them back on track.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/georgetown-needs-a-basketball-coach-just-how-good-a-job-is-that/2017/03/24/69754ad2-10ba-11e7-9b0d-d27c98455440_story.html?utm_term=.31c40227bc26

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2017, 10:42:59 AM »
Even when Georgetown was good their attendance sucked. Best average was 13000.

Honest question:  In your mind what is an attendance number that would not suck?  Most schools would kill to draw 13K a game.

I am too busy (and lazy) to look it up myself, but what is the best average attendance for among schools that are located in a NBA city?  IIRC correctly, most of the schools on the top of the attendance list are in places like Syracuse and Omaha.
Have some patience, FFS.

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2017, 11:12:38 AM »
Has anybody considered our Baltimore native coach is actually a perfect fit at Georgetown?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2017, 11:22:51 AM »
Has anybody considered our Baltimore native coach is actually a perfect fit at Georgetown?

No.

Wojo isn't starting over. Anything he can do at Georgetown, he can do at MU.  Only job Wojo is leaving for without being push out the door is Duke, or a handful of other clearly better jobs. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2017, 11:22:56 AM »

Nah, they're looking for someone who can game coach.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2017, 11:38:18 AM »
Lot of Cooley talk over on Hoya Saxa after an interview he gave.  He could just be angling for better facilities and a raise, but it seems like he doesn't have much tying him to Providence. Looks like he makes in the 1.6 - 2.0 range right now and JTIII was 3+.  He would make GTown formidable again quickly, but I'd fear more Providence would drop pretty far. Can't ever recall an intra-conference coaching transfer.

Providence board discussing
http://www.scout.com/college/providence/forums/1323-friar-talk/15484856-cooley-on-espn-podcast

Could be nothing, but worth keeping an eye on.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2017, 11:43:39 AM »
Honest question:  In your mind what is an attendance number that would not suck?  Most schools would kill to draw 13K a game.

I am too busy (and lazy) to look it up myself, but what is the best average attendance for among schools that are located in a NBA city?  IIRC correctly, most of the schools on the top of the attendance list are in places like Syracuse and Omaha.

I agree, but we draw better than that and folks here complain and if we start winning again we will compete with Creighton. What I'm saying is that Gtown does not have a loyal fan base like we do and may have a harder time bringing their program back.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »
Lot of Cooley talk over on Hoya Saxa after an interview he gave.  He could just be angling for better facilities and a raise, but it seems like he doesn't have much tying him to Providence. Looks like he makes in the 1.6 - 2.0 range right now and JTIII was 3+.  He would make GTown formidable again quickly, but I'd fear more Providence would drop pretty far. Can't ever recall an intra-conference coaching transfer.

Tubby Smith went from Georgia to Kentucky.
Eddie Fogler went from Vandy to South Carolina.
Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2017, 11:50:27 AM »
Billy Donovan nearly went to Kentucky from Florida.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »

Providence board discussing
http://www.scout.com/college/providence/forums/1323-friar-talk/15484856-cooley-on-espn-podcast

Could be nothing, but worth keeping an eye on.
The Hoya money guys are pushing hard for Cooley. Would be an enormous get for Georgetown.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2017, 12:33:28 PM »
Isn't Cooley a born and raised Providence guy? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2017, 01:16:18 PM »
Tubby Smith went from Georgia to Kentucky.
Eddie Fogler went from Vandy to South Carolina.
Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

In football, Tommy Tubberville went from Ole Miss to Auburn.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2017, 01:40:02 PM »
Was really surprised to see all the hate for Amaker on the Gtown board. That seemed a pretty natural fit imho. I get he didn't have much success at Michigan, but he's certainly grown as a coach since then, and has been rooted in the east coast recruiting scene for a long while now. I think he would naturally see an uptick in the players he's able to get at Gtown vs Harvard. There also seems to be some overvaluing of the gig, which is to be expected on a team's home board - but I think the idea of luring Miller from AZ, Brey from ND, Shaka from UT, or Enfield from USC are long shots at best.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2017, 01:42:29 PM »
Was really surprised to see all the hate for Amaker on the Gtown board. That seemed a pretty natural fit imho. I get he didn't have much success at Michigan, but he's certainly grown as a coach since then, and has been rooted in the east coast recruiting scene for a long while now. I think he would naturally see an uptick in the players he's able to get at Gtown vs Harvard. There also seems to be some overvaluing of the gig, which is to be expected on a team's home board - but I think the idea of luring Miller from AZ, Brey from ND, Shaka from UT, or Enfield from USC are long shots at best.

Maybe Enfeild from USC is possible, the others aren't happening.  Enfield does have some ties to the east coast and DC area.  That said, I'd much prefer to live in Southern Cali!

But I'm sure he'd get a nice raise.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2017, 01:53:12 PM »

In football, Tommy Tubberville went from Ole Miss to Auburn.

And Steve Sarkisian went from Washington to USC.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2017, 02:06:52 PM »
Personal friendships with PC alums aside, I would much rather have Georgetown at the top of our conference that PC. 

If Georgetown is a Top 10 team, we all are winners.  Like Nova they have a certain cache that the rest of the league save for maybe St. John's does not.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2017, 02:10:18 PM »
Personal friendships with PC alums aside, I would much rather have Georgetown at the top of our conference that PC. 

If Georgetown is a Top 10 team, we all are winners.  Like Nova they have a certain cache that the rest of the league save for maybe St. John's does not.

What internet searches are Georgetown, St. John's, and Villanova doing that the other BE schools aren't?

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2017, 02:22:29 PM »
What internet searches are Georgetown, St. John's, and Villanova doing that the other BE schools aren't?

Heh.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »
The Hoya money guys are pushing hard for Cooley. Would be an enormous get for Georgetown.

I have a hard time believing the Big East would allow schools to poach head coaches from one another... assistants, sure, but I wouldn't be so certain that Cooley is any sort of a viable candidate unless PC has already agreed to let him move on.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »
Mentioned this in the Superbar thread, but I think they should look at King Rice. Has had success at a private school, plays an up-tempo style that appeals to recruits, and has done a great job injecting enthusiasm into the program at Monmouth.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »
Interesting story on why floating the Mike Brey name may not be based in reality, but in what it actually signals to potential candidates.

http://deadspin.com/the-power-struggle-at-georgetown-goes-back-to-a-petty-1793666837?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2017, 04:08:46 PM »
Mentioned this in the Superbar thread, but I think they should look at King Rice. Has had success at a private school, plays an up-tempo style that appeals to recruits, and has done a great job injecting enthusiasm into the program at Monmouth.

Do you think Ben Howland would be a good fit for them? After all wasn't he was in the mix after Buzz left.