[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Duane  (Read 42924 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Duane
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2017, 05:27:05 PM »
Eh? Do you think Marquette is duke? If he couldn't play at MU why would he go to GA Tech? I'm guessing GB with sandy.

Duane will go to a higher level program. GA Tech would be a nice fit. He didn't play much because we ended up having 2 of the best guards in the ncaa.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2017, 05:28:05 PM »
I'm not being sensitive, nor do I think there's a problem with discussing varying styles of play. But styles of play, and types of people, are different things.
Using code words is unfair both ways, because it predisposes that a) the kids you're labeling as "athletes" lack basketball skills and b) the kids you're labeling as more skilled, i.e. the shooters, aren't also athletes who play hard.
You're way off base man. We were referring to the brand we used to play; tough, gritty, etc. We now play a brand that is based more on finesse and shooting. You're the one attaching racial generalizations to those descriptions
No Finish Line

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »
Duane will go to a higher level program. GA Tech would be a nice fit. He didn't play much because we ended up having 2 of the best guards in the ncaa.

You consider the Yellow Jackets a higher level program?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2017, 05:29:45 PM »
You consider the Yellow Jackets a higher level program?

Then green Bay? Yes.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2017, 05:39:56 PM »
You're way off base man. We were referring to the brand we used to play; tough, gritty, etc. We now play a brand that is based more on finesse and shooting. You're the one attaching racial generalizations to those descriptions

Indeed
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2017, 05:47:07 PM »
This could actually be due to getting some height on the team.  Four true bigs moves Sam to the perimeter, leaving Duane likely fighting with Cain, Cheatham, and Sacar for backup minutes.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2017, 05:50:15 PM »
This could actually be due to getting some height on the team.  Four true bigs moves Sam to the perimeter, leaving Duane likely fighting with Cain, Cheatham, and Sacar for backup minutes.

Yah, Sams days of playing anything more than spot mins at the 4 are gone, IMO. At least for sure once Froling is able to play.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2017, 05:54:05 PM »
If true, that means all of Buzz's players will be gone. It also means 68 minutes per game have opened at the 2/3 positions with only Cain coming in and Anim returning. Could be a big opportunity for a grad transfer.

Or you rightfully shift Sam to the 3 w Haani, Sacar & Cain also vying for mins.. Theo, Froling eke & Matt up front possibilities
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2017, 05:58:41 PM »
Or you rightfully shift Sam to the 3 w Haani, Sacar & Cain also vying for mins.. Theo, Froling eke & Matt up front possibilities

Agreed.  I see Sam as a #3.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2017, 06:18:02 PM »
Not a surprise as this was foreshadowed this offseason here. A fresh start is the right choice.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2017, 06:22:23 PM »

Marquette announced guard Duane Wilson is transferring from the program Monday.

“We want to thank Duane for his contributions to the program and wish him the best of luck in the future,” head coach Steve Wojciechowski said in a statement.  “We respect his decision to explore other opportunities and will be completely supportive throughout the process.”

Wilson redshirted during his freshman year, allowing him to transfer and play immediately as a graduate student. Wilson is the third player to transfer from the program this season, joining Sandy Cohen and Traci Carter. The transfer gives Marquette three scholarship openings for next season.
The last Marquette player on the roster recruited by Buzz Williams, Wilson took a diminished role with the Golden Eagles in his third season. Originally a volume shooter as an underclassman, Wilson played a defensive role off the bench this season. He went from playing 28 minutes per game as a freshman and sophomore to 16 a game as a junior.

Wilson scored 4.8 points per game, 1.8 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game this season.

More of  with Duke Puke's BS moves. The guy had an awesome freshman year, and never developed further. That is on Wojo. Do not know what to make of this program, anymore, with many now rationalizing that Wojo will bring in somebody better. Lost several recruits when Wojo came on, lost Burton, lost Taylor, lost Cohen, now apparently Wilson, but hey Wojo finally made the dance, so everything is OK (Even though we were blown out by an inferior team and coach.)
On to next year and pray to the lord.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2017, 06:25:41 PM »
This is too bad. I really like Du. Thought this season would go far more differently than it did for him. I can definitely see him at a high major and thriving in the right system. Best of luck to him.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2017, 06:28:50 PM »
More of  with Duke Puke's BS moves. The guy had an awesome freshman year, and never developed further. That is on Wojo. Do not know what to make of this program, anymore, with many now rationalizing that Wojo will bring in somebody better. Lost several recruits when Wojo came on, lost Burton, lost Taylor, lost Cohen, now apparently Wilson, but hey Wojo finally made the dance, so everything is OK (Even though we were blown out by an inferior team and coach.)

So SC/Frank Martin > Duke/Coach K?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2017, 06:33:26 PM »
He will be missed. When we needed a freshman to be a leader, he was. When he was asked to take on a lesser role, he did. And whenever called on, his effort and passion was never in question. A true Warrior.

Sums up Duane in a nutshell. Glad he wore the MU uni

muguru

• All American
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:43:27 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2017, 06:51:12 PM »

Incorrect. What Buzz high school really developed?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2017, 07:04:14 PM »

I think even the most ardent or optimistic Wojo supporter would agree that the player development that we were promised during the press conference and early months has been lacking.  Now maybe Duane, JJJ, Luke & Sandy weren't coachable...

Haanif regressed, Traci left. 

Heldt did appear to make nice progress.   

Next year will be interesting as it's all Wojo's guys and many will have 2+ summers in MKE.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2017, 07:39:33 PM »
Disagree jjj from a skill stand point progressed exponentially.  They also completely retooled his jump shot.  Jjjs problem was always between the ears.

Duane was a volume shooter for MU in the beginning.  We won 13 games?  Had no offense outside of Carlino.  He rarely shot a good percentage but took a ton of shots, was a poir ball handler n poorer passer. 
Lets not say, with his playing greatly diminished minutes this year that the past was different than it was.  Its not like some  high percentage shooter n scorer just had his spot stolen.  His bad shooting, poor ball handling and bad defense got passed by better players.  His defense was improved this year with physical maturity and i think it became more important to him as it was the only way he was going to get or stay on the court. His offense was still very mecurial and hit abillity to finish around the rim quite poor. 

My guess given his child is UWM or UWGb, could be wrong he may go farther away for the opportunity but nothing i saw this year would indicate an offer from a high major.

Super high class representitive of MU during his time here tho and am happy to hear he will be getting his MU degree.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:44:22 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2017, 07:52:47 PM »

Blue, Junior, Otule. All of the Juco's. You can hate buzz, but don't shout nonsense. Anyone who didn't transfer under Buzz developed. Except for Derrick. He was always good at defense, and couldn't hit lake Michigan on offense.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2017, 07:54:22 PM »
Blue, Junior, Otule. All of the Juco's. You can hate buzz, but don't shout nonsense. Anyone who didn't transfer under Buzz developed. Except for Derrick. He was always good at defense, and couldn't hit lake Michigan on offense.

Blue developed greatly. Gardner got better but was pretty much the same player. He just refined his skills, never learned new ones.

Explain to me how Junior or Otule developed? Or any other high school recruits that Buzz signed?

The JUCOS developed but we're speaking about high schoolers specifically.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2017, 07:54:45 PM »
Really sucks he is leaving but it was best for him and his kid. I hope he finds a new home and excels there. He was the definition of a true warrior. Forever family

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2017, 08:14:45 PM »
Lost Cohen..........shocking we were able to even field a team after that, ai Na?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2017, 08:19:52 PM »

So Vander developed. Thanks for making my point.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2017, 08:33:21 PM »
ya know, back in the day these damn kids used to watch motion pictures in the cinema with a chaperone making sure there was separation and such.  now-a-days it's all netflix and something called 'chill'.  dag'nabit i hate change and i won't adapt to it.

Seriously - transfers are not an MU epidemic nor were they started by MU.  The players, and Wojo, are using the flexibility that the NCAA rules provide them to get the best experience they can.  We should be as grateful for Duane's contributions and commitment as we are for Rowsey's (or Luke's, or Deonte's, or Katin's, or Sandy's, or Lockett's, or etc, etc,).  Thinking a coach or player should be dedicated to an institution, or each other, in 2017 is archaic. 

This seems like a great example where the kid gave his all and is able to further pursue his dreams.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2017, 08:38:08 PM »
I think even the most ardent or optimistic Wojo supporter would agree that the player development that we were promised during the press conference and early months has been lacking.  Now maybe Duane, JJJ, Luke & Sandy weren't coachable...

Haanif regressed, Traci left. 

Heldt did appear to make nice progress.   

Next year will be interesting as it's all Wojo's guys and many will have 2+ summers in MKE.

JJJ improved.  Luke definitely improved.  Haanif was better at some aspects of his game.

feedback