[Today at 03:48:28 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Pakuni
[Today at 02:26:49 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane  (Read 43204 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Duane
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2017, 04:57:05 PM »
Not really.  It is the truth. The evidence we have in front of us is that they recruit very different players.  Pointing that out isn't really unfair.

Pointing out that Wojo's players are "finesse" shooters but the previous coach recruited "better athletes" who played tough are misleading stereotypes.
Why not throw in "coach's kids" and "natural" while you're at it?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2017, 04:57:56 PM »
Eh ... that's a whole lot of unfair stereotyping there, both ways.
Might as well suggest Wojo is bringing in too many traditionals.
Disagree. It's fairly evident actually
No Finish Line

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2017, 05:00:37 PM »
I believe I posted this sometime around the first Nova game. Sad to see him go but it was expected.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2017, 05:01:47 PM »
Good luck to him for sure. He'll do great!
We'll be fine. Always sad to see someone go.

Sacar to step in.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2017, 05:02:14 PM »
I'm sure Matt V.  is on the case as we speak.
Yep (though he doesn't get first break) https://twitter.com/SwaggyDu1/status/843942147560759296 i'm sure he's following up with some more insight.

Too bad.  Duane seems like a great kid and what he did this year speaks volumes to his character.  i'm sure he'll succeed wherever/whatever he does.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2017, 05:02:26 PM »
Pointing out that Wojo's players are "finesse" shooters but the previous coach recruited "better athletes" who played tough are misleading stereotypes.

You're too damn sensitive.  It is what it is man - pointing it out isn't "racist" which I know is what you are getting at.

I fell in love with Marquette basketball under Buzz and the way those teams played.  I still love Marquette basketball with Wojo's new style, but to say they aren't different is just silly.  For me, it took some getting used to, but as I have already said, I am coming around to it, and I love Wojo's vision for the program. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2017, 05:03:06 PM »
Good luck Duane.  Thanks for your devotion to MU when you were there and best of luck at the new school.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2017, 05:03:39 PM »
Well .. from his perspective, he leaves a team that's not gonna make a huge run next year .. he's not going to be a big part of it anyhow.

Instead, he gets to find a new school who'll give him a new experience, new line on the resume, in a new town for 9 months, free of charge.   

Pretty adult decision, frankly.   I'd shop myself to Hawaii or something.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2017, 05:03:46 PM »
Yep (though he doesn't get first break) https://twitter.com/SwaggyDu1/status/843942147560759296 i'm sure he's following up with some more insight.

Too bad.  Duane seems like a great kid and what he did this year speaks volumes to his character.  i'm sure he'll succeed wherever/whatever he does.

Good player but it was evident that we had to many guards. Which is why Carter left. Better for him to get 30 minutes somewhere then be a role player in his 5th year.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2017, 05:08:18 PM »
Pastner and Memphis offered him a scholly in HS...Ga tech needs a Guard(s).
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2017, 05:08:29 PM »
So next season will be all Wojo's guys.  1 Senior, 2 Juniors, 4 Sophomores and 3 Freshman. Another "young" team. Let's hope Rowsey can be the team leader.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2017, 05:09:42 PM »
So next season will be all Wojo's guys.  1 Senior, 2 Juniors, 4 Sophomores and 3 Freshman. Another "young" team. Let's hope Rowsey can be the team leader.

Pretty much no chance we don't add at least one grad transfer at this point.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2017, 05:11:16 PM »

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2017, 05:11:29 PM »
You don't realize how much you miss them until they are gone. Wish him the best of luck and I will definitely follow and cheer him on wherever he goes

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2017, 05:11:58 PM »
Pretty much no chance we don't add at least one grad transfer at this point.
i think Greg Elliot will want to come here now. Since a guard just left

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »
i think Greg Elliot will want to come here now. Since a guard just left

I'll definitely take Elliot as you need to develop some guys, but he does very little for me for next year. 12th or 13th guy and a RS candidate.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2017, 05:14:46 PM »
Duane has an opportunity to play one more year, thanks to the good judgement that Buzz played.  With Marquette Fan hat on I am disappointed to see him go. He was a well respected leader of the team. I also believed his role next year was going to be big for us, given his late season emergence in our run to the tournament. His willingness to work hard on defense solidified his position .

However, I understand Duane feels he must protect his own future and explore possibilities to find a situation where he will get extended playing time. Or at least have a role similar to what he had  his first two years. I  just hope for his sake that he finds a situation where he is warmly welcomed and needed. Most likely a mid major.  Maybe he can go over to Toledo and have a monster year the way STjr did.  I don't know what the situation is like at UWM , if that was a possibility it would be fantastic,. It could be very beneficial  in that he could stay in town and stay close to young Kobe.

I am delighted he will be graduating from MU and wish him all the best.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2017, 05:15:54 PM »
Pastner and Memphis offered him a scholly in HS...Ga tech needs a Guard(s).

Eh? Do you think Marquette is duke? If he couldn't play at MU why would he go to GA Tech? I'm guessing GB with sandy.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2017, 05:16:37 PM »
I'll definitely take Elliot as you need to develop some guys, but he does very little for me for next year. 12th or 13th guy and a RS candidate.
id take Greg, a regular transfer and then a grad transfer in a ideal situation

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2017, 05:16:51 PM »
Well stated MFINY.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2017, 05:17:04 PM »
id take Greg, a regular transfer and then a grad transfer in a ideal situation

Mmhmm.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2017, 05:22:25 PM »
I will really miss Duane - best of luck on the landing spot.  Will always remember the gutty defensive performances this year and his willingness to have the ball at the end of the game with the clock running down (in prior years). 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2017, 05:23:16 PM »
Really bummed out by this.  Swaggy was one of my favorite players as he was always a class act and always did what was best for the team. 

As others have noted, he was our redshirt-freshman leader that did everything to make us competitive. 

His sophomore season he took more of a backseat, being a do everything role player and scorer. 

This season, there were better shooters, and instead of complaining, he became a defensive stopper and patient offensive player that took his only when they were there.  He was a leader, and led the team to victory against Villanova where he was instrumental in our comeback.  Without that leadership I don't think we win that game and we do not make the tournament. 

He did all this while struggling through leg injuries his entire career.  A fighter and true warrior.

I really believe he was the heart and soul of this team.

That said, I know he is looking out for what is best for him.  Especially as his recruiting class, JJJ/Luke are leaving, he knows the team will not be the same and feels like it is time for him to move on also. 

I wish him the best and look forward to rooting him on wherever he is next year.  Good luck Duane and godspeed. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2017, 05:24:22 PM »
You're too damn sensitive.  It is what it is man - pointing it out isn't "racist" which I know is what you are getting at.

I fell in love with Marquette basketball under Buzz and the way those teams played.  I still love Marquette basketball with Wojo's new style, but to say they aren't different is just silly.  For me, it took some getting used to, but as I have already said, I am coming around to it, and I love Wojo's vision for the program.

I'm not being sensitive, nor do I think there's a problem with discussing varying styles of play. But styles of play, and types of people, are different things.
Using code words is unfair both ways, because it predisposes that a) the kids you're labeling as "athletes" lack basketball skills and b) the kids you're labeling as more skilled, i.e. the shooters, aren't also athletes who play hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2017, 05:25:48 PM »
Best of lucky Swaggy Du. You represented us well and you will be missed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.