[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane  (Read 43209 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Duane
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2017, 04:27:41 PM »
Ya but it's not there now. We aren't sure he's transferring

Correct.  Not yet confirmed.  Time will tell.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2017, 04:32:47 PM »
I think what bums me out the most is it feels like another step that removes us from the Marquette brand I've known and loved
No Finish Line

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2017, 04:33:57 PM »
Not at all surprised if true. I'd be more surprised if it wasn't true.

I think we all wish him nothing but the best.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2017, 04:34:31 PM »
I think what bums me out the most is it feels like another step that removes us from the Marquette brand I've known and loved

What does that even mean?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »

Yah, I mean at this point I think we just gotta embrace what we are now, which is Duke-lite.  At least Wojo has a couple bangers coming in next year that should add some toughness, even though Eke probably won't play much.  Not sure I'd consider Cain a banger (John certainly is), but he seems more like a Buzz guy (long, athletic, can guard multiple positions).

But I hear ya.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jnolan23

• Walk-On
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2017, 04:36:31 PM »
Link to tweet with good shot:

https://twitter.com/nolanjon/status/843922274101149697

This is my tweet, to be clear I got this sent to me from a friend that follows Duane's Snapchat, and am by no means reporting this as fact. I was asking for verification from people that I thought would know if it was real.

That said, it looks like the screenshot sent to me was independent of the screenshot that OP posted in this thread.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2017, 04:37:06 PM »

jnolan23

• Walk-On
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2017, 04:38:51 PM »
Goodman reporting it now..

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2017, 04:38:56 PM »
What does that even mean?

Our team is much more finesse and shooting oriented, versus tough SOBs who often won by doing the dirty work (first on the floor, first on the glass, win 90% of 50/50 balls, etc) and being more athletic than the competition, like we had under previous regimes. 

I'm Ok with it at this point, but it definitely was a change. Having a team that could actually shoot the ball was super neat.  Now we just need to learn defense.  Losing Duane doesn't exactly help us in that department.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2017, 04:39:43 PM »
Thanks Duane.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2017, 04:40:12 PM »
I'm sure Matt V.  is on the case as we speak.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2017, 04:40:17 PM »
Our team is much more finesse and shooting oriented, versus tough SOBs who often won by doing the dirty work (first on the floor, first on the glass, win 90% of 50/50 balls, etc) and being more athletic than the competition, like we had under previous regimes. 

I'm Ok with it at this point, but it definitely was a change. Having a team that could actually shoot the ball was super neat.  Now we just need to learn defense.  Losing Duane doesn't exactly help us in that department.

Didn't exactly help us in the shooting department, either. I appreciate what the kid gave to the program but I'm not too broken up about this one. Onward, upward.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2017, 04:41:16 PM »
He will be missed. When we needed a freshman to be a leader, he was. When he was asked to take on a lesser role, he did. And whenever called on, his effort and passion was never in question. A true Warrior.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2017, 04:42:33 PM »
Didn't exactly help us in the shooting department, either. I appreciate what the kid gave to the program but I'm not too broken up about this one. Onward, upward.

Agreed.  Now that it is seeming more official, I want to wish Duane the very best.  I hope he finds somewhere he can make a big impact.  He never quite turned into the player I thought he would be, and I think his legs failing him had a lot to do with that, but was always a class act and truly cared for MU and his teammates.  Wish you the best, Swaggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9TxMYxKiEI

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2017, 04:43:19 PM »

Correct. I used to love that teams knew when they played Marquette they were in for a dogfight and we used to win games because we were tougher and hungrier. That's the brand I associate with Marquette but that's no longer what we are
No Finish Line

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2017, 04:43:49 PM »
Done deal? Too bad. Good luck, Swag.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2017, 04:45:12 PM »
Duane to Virginia Tech?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2017, 04:47:10 PM »
Correct. I used to love that teams knew when they played Marquette they were in for a dogfight and we used to win games because we were tougher and hungrier. That's the brand I associate with Marquette but that's no longer what we are

Eh ... that's a whole lot of unfair stereotyping there, both ways.
Might as well suggest Wojo is bringing in too many traditionals.

brandx

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2017, 04:47:44 PM »
But JJJJJ confirms thats DU's snapchat.

I hear jjj is tired of the mind games and is gonna transfer, though.

Oops.... that was last year

and the year before.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2017, 04:48:16 PM »
Duane to Virginia Tech?
How about Iowa State?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2017, 04:48:56 PM »
Eh ... that's a whole lot of unfair stereotyping there, both ways.
Might as well suggest Wojo is bringing in too many traditionals.

Not really.  It is the truth. The evidence we have in front of us is that they recruit very different players.  Pointing that out isn't really unfair.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2017, 04:49:10 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2017, 04:52:03 PM »
Duane would do well to find himself a quality mid-major program where he'd be a virtual lock to start, but also have a good shot at another NCAA tourney. A place like Illinois State, which is losing two starting guards, would be a good fit.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »
His retort to Nigel Hayes was one of the most interesting things I have ever heard from a college athlete.  I actually don't mind Nigel's stance but I loved what Duane said.  It can be easy / cool to have your hand out, not as easy / cool to show appreciation.  He also stood up for MKE and took issue with Peter Feigin's comments about race relations in MKE.

What a good kid.  Hopefully he returns to Milwaukee and gets involved.  He'll make it a better place.

All the best Duane!

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2017, 04:55:06 PM »

Marquette announced guard Duane Wilson is transferring from the program Monday.

“We want to thank Duane for his contributions to the program and wish him the best of luck in the future,” head coach Steve Wojciechowski said in a statement.  “We respect his decision to explore other opportunities and will be completely supportive throughout the process.”

Wilson redshirted during his freshman year, allowing him to transfer and play immediately as a graduate student. Wilson is the third player to transfer from the program this season, joining Sandy Cohen and Traci Carter. The transfer gives Marquette three scholarship openings for next season.
The last Marquette player on the roster recruited by Buzz Williams, Wilson took a diminished role with the Golden Eagles in his third season. Originally a volume shooter as an underclassman, Wilson played a defensive role off the bench this season. He went from playing 28 minutes per game as a freshman and sophomore to 16 a game as a junior.

Wilson scored 4.8 points per game, 1.8 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game this season.