[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What type of player would you prefer as a grad transfer?

Physical combo guard
Slashing wing
Strong rebounding big

Author Topic: Biggest Grad Transfer Need  (Read 36706 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Biggest Grad Transfer Need
« on: March 20, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »
I wanted to look at the grad transfer question from a different angle. What is our biggest need for next year if we could add one experienced grad player? Considering Wojo has added two grad transfers in three years and pursued numerous others (Lee, Miller, Gill) I think it's safe to say we'll look to add at least one this summer.

Here's a roster depth projection, obviously there will be positional overlap:

PG Markus Howard (Andrew Rowsey)
SG Duane Wilson (Haanif Cheatham)
SF Sam Hauser (Jamal Cain)
PF Harry Froling (Ike Eke)
C Matt Heldt (Theo John)

I think the four guards are pretty interchangeable. Both Hauser and Cain could flex to the 4, and Froling and Eke (if he doesn't redshirt) could flex to the 5. But we do have a rotation of what looks like 9 competent players. So here's what I think we could use:

Physical combo guard: We could use a bigger guard that can defend, help against the press, and add some scoring. While Howard and Rowsey are capable, neither are true point guards, so having another ball handler with a bit more size could benefit this team.

Slashing wing: As a team, we are terrible at getting to the line. We could use someone who can drive (hopefully with both hands) and get to the line, putting pressure on the defense. This would help by adding scoring in the lane and forcing the defense to not just smother us at the arc.

Strong rebounding big: While our team rebounding worked adequately, we still didn't have one guy who we knew could go get us a possession when we really needed it. It cost us a few games last year and there's really no proven rebounder coming in yet.

What say you?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: Biggest Grad Transfer Need
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 08:39:56 AM »
Don't forget about Sacar... high hopes for him next year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 08:40:22 AM »
WHERE'S SACAR!!!  (All kidding aside, I hope he can help with some physicality.)

I would go with a slashing wing because IMO those types can help with rebounding as well.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 08:43:30 AM »
My vote is for a combo guard. I'm hoping Sacar ( ;) ) and Cain can provide that wing ability and I have high hopes for Froling to be that big man we need. I also think that when you have athletic bigs, they can contribute sooner on the defensive end, so I'm hoping that John and/or Eke will be able to at least give us some rebounding and defense in the post.

Watching the trouble we had against the press without Reinhardt, I think we need another guy that can play that role. I also think that we need another guard that can defend, because that isn't really Markus or Rowsey's forte.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 08:44:02 AM »
I'll take door number 3. We've got the components for the first two either on or coming to the roster. What we need is a sheriff, ala Ouze and Jon Harris. Clean up the glass, body up players in the paint. If they can shoot the 3, fine I'll take it, but is definitely not a requirement.

My theory is, with that type of player you play Markus, Haanif, Sam, unnamed sheriff, and Froling....that line-up should be able to play competent defense/rebound and the offense should be unreal.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:45:15 AM »
I wanted to look at the grad transfer question from a different angle. What is our biggest need for next year if we could add one experienced grad player? Considering Wojo has added two grad transfers in three years and pursued numerous others (Lee, Miller, Gill) I think it's safe to say we'll look to add at least one this summer.

C Matt Heldt (Theo John)

I think the four guards are pretty interchangeable. Both Hauser and Cain could flex to the 4, and Froling and Eke (if he doesn't redshirt) could flex to the 5. But we do have a rotation of what looks like 9 competent players. So here's what I think we could use:

Physical combo guard: We could use a bigger guard that can defend, help against the press, and add some scoring. While Howard and Rowsey are capable, neither are true point guards, so having another ball handler with a bit more size could benefit this team.

Slashing wing: As a team, we are terrible at getting to the line. We could use someone who can drive (hopefully with both hands) and get to the line, putting pressure on the defense. This would help by adding scoring in the lane and forcing the defense to not just smother us at the arc.

Strong rebounding big: While our team rebounding worked adequately, we still didn't have one guy who we knew could go get us a possession when we really needed it. It cost us a few games last year and there's really no proven rebounder coming in yet.

What say you?

That was my vote

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »
My vote is for a combo guard. I'm hoping Sacar ( ;) ) and Cain can provide that wing ability and I have high hopes for Froling to be that big man we need. I also think that when you have athletic bigs, they can contribute sooner on the defensive end, so I'm hoping that John and/or Eke will be able to at least give us some rebounding and defense in the post.

Watching the trouble we had against the press without Reinhardt, I think we need another guy that can play that role. I also think that we need another guard that can defend, because that isn't really Markus or Rowsey's forte.

So Geno Thorpe then?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 08:46:43 AM »

Keep in mind that Markus was a freshmen and like 18 years old or something  :P He can develop into a solid defender in the off season.

My thinking is the front court has the most unknowns, where as the back court with Markus/Rowsey/Duane/Haanif/Sacar has plenty of opportunity to improve. So reinforce the front court.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 08:47:49 AM »
Best player available. Jeffrey Carroll if he becomes available.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 08:51:19 AM »
In order from greatest need to least, rim rocker, pogo stick, sharpshooter. Maximizing our 2nd chance points and limiting opponents should be a central theme. Our defense looked significantly worse than it already did because of 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances on the boards.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 08:53:40 AM »
Sacar will be good i think

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »
We need a 6-9 245 pound pogo stick Warrior mentality guy. The guy who can get those hard fought rebounds and tip ins.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 09:09:53 AM »
None of the above.

Switchable lockdown defender. Can guard the opponents best player irregardless of position. Preferably one who can handle the ball, slash to the hoop, and/or rebound at a high level.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 09:12:25 AM »
None of the above.

Switchable lockdown defender. Can guard the opponents best player irregardless of position. Preferably one who can handle the ball, slash to the hoop, and/or rebound at a high level.
Who would that be, i agree with you

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 09:14:16 AM »
D- Point guard.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 09:28:51 AM »
D- Point guard.

That's my vote.  I was at the Big East Tournament and while I thought how much better Rowsey and Howard would be with a guy who could get into the paint and distribute.  Watching South Carolina last night and their 2 Guards going to the basket with authority was impressive.  Wasn't really an issue until Carter left.  Now I'd hope its a priority.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 09:33:10 AM »
If we can't get a physical big PG, i hope wojo could try and recruit one. Can't always ride and die on the 3 ball

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »
Who would that be, i agree with you

Sounds like Jimmy Butler
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »
All three...in one player. I can dream right?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 09:39:34 AM »
Stretch 4

we replace Jajuan & Fischer with Cain & Theo, need a 3 point threat to replace Katin

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 09:41:23 AM »
Need quickness at every spot. Dis team is stuck in quiksand, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 09:52:03 AM »
I think we can use all or any of the three choices so end of the day I would take the best available. I personally am hoping for a new sheriff. I hope this sheriff can tutor John and Eke and they can assume that position as sophomores. I think the other needs can be managed by guys already on the roster. Need that mean rebounder and rim protector.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 10:27:45 AM »
D- Point guard.

Agree 100%. Howard and Rowsey are both shooting guards in point guard bodies. Despite the highly efficient offense overall, JJJ was the closest thing MU had to a creator this season and the lack of a playmaker played a big part in MU's stretches of ugly offense. To put it in perspective, Traci Carter had more assists (153) in 790 minutes last season than Howard and Rowsey did in a combined 1348 minutes this season (143).

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 10:44:09 AM »
Agree 100%. Howard and Rowsey are both shooting guards in point guard bodies. Despite the highly efficient offense overall, JJJ was the closest thing MU had to a creator this season and the lack of a playmaker played a big part in MU's stretches of ugly offense. To put it in perspective, Traci Carter had more assists (153) in 790 minutes last season than Howard and Rowsey did in a combined 1348 minutes this season (143).
If we could get a grad transfer or regular big PG we could put Howard at the off guard

brandx

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 11:10:21 AM »

C Matt Heldt (Theo John)

What say you?

Good question, Brew. But I think the answer is easy.

At least half of our loses - probably more - were because we were so bad on defense. We need a defensive player with size and quickness. A Sanogo type who is quick and blocks shots and can cover for mistakes on 'D'.

feedback